Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

Mountaintop Mint x M34 photo
Skywalker photo
Semi-organic 1/2 gallon pot experiment
Geo/RGR grow

Here’s our suddenly seemingly fully recovered MM x M34. The sun and rain for one day performed some mystical magic on her and she’s back in the fray. Glad my “tossing her” only consisted of throwing her outside in the table and forgetting about her. Now she appears to my eye to be on the same page as the healthy as hell mini Skywalker. Here they are, the MM x M34 has the two yellowing bottom leaves.

Sorry for the all bold post. Not intentional. Somehow I got the goddamn bold stuck on.

IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2346.jpeg

Ha! Fixed it on edit!
Shes a beautiful plant Jon😍 I wonder if she knows how close she came to the Great Worm Farm in the sky🤣

Shes a beautiful plant Jon😍 I wonder if she knows how close she came to the Great Worm Farm in the sky🤣
Normally I would worry about the fact that she spent one day at 13/11 outside after a whole life to this point at 20/4 (my preferred veg light schedule vs 18/6 - I feel six hours of rest in veg is total overkill). Did I hermie her by putting her back? Lmao. Now I know one day in that regard makes no difference and she’s way too early to hermie.

@ViparSpectra Tent
A Few Words on our Scrog and XS 1500 Pros
A Trick or Two too!

At this point, both of our plants have found that next gear I’ve been waiting for. Autos have gears, and you will begin to see them as they traverse their grow cycle. It’s pretty obvious when they decide to really start humming - pretty suddenly you will notice an increase in growth rate. It happens in veg but is especially noticeable in early flower. One morning you’ll open your tent and be like, whoa, something went crazy. That’s the gear switch. You want this. It’s a good time to check your nute mix and make sure it has what the plant needs to begin expending much more energy than before. Imo, the stretch is when the Autoflower works the hardest it will work in its lifecycle. Power it appropriately and as such.

Here’s the overhead shot and I think you can see they are beginning to hum.

Here’s the two stems. I have begun the process of cleaning out under the canopy. Note the thickness of the stems. This is ideal. It also makes it hard to manipulate emerging branches. Be careful and bend them early if necessary. These to me are gorgeous. The size of them for the smallness of the plant means every top is getting fed via superhighway, not back road.

Here you can more easily see why the thick stems make it harder to scrog.

This is a trick I learned that helps you get the most square fill from branches with emerging growth. Separate the growth coming in and use one branch to fill several squares. Similarly, when you take leaves leave a little stump and you will have an extra anchor point that will be very useful, like this:

Now let’s look at the center. The Cherry pie is pretty center oriented with growth so I leave her be and let them grow and manipulate as necessary. The Double Grape however is far less side branch-y. It has a relatively bare center. We need growth in there to fill the middle as we force all else out and leave a vacuum. So what I do then is a bit of supercropping of the emerging little central growth and send those shoots toward the middle to fill. Here’s what that looks like.

So our scrog is doing okay. And the VS XS 1500 Pros are handling the light well too. The evenness of the coverage is great for a scrog. Still set at 75%, they give me a lot of power to play with for their size. I love these little powerhouses.

Thanks for stopping by!

@ViparSpectra Tent
A Few Words on our Scrog and XS 1500 Pros
A Trick or Two too!

At this point, both of our plants have found that next gear I’ve been waiting for. Autos have gears, and you will begin to see them as they traverse their grow cycle. It’s pretty obvious when they decide to really start humming - pretty suddenly you will notice an increase in growth rate. It happens in veg but is especially noticeable in early flower. One morning you’ll open your tent and be like, whoa, something went crazy. That’s the gear switch. You want this. It’s a good time to check your nute mix and make sure it has what the plant needs to begin expending much more energy than before. Imo, the stretch is when the Autoflower works the hardest it will work in its lifecycle. Power it appropriately and as such.

Here’s the overhead shot and I think you can see they are beginning to hum.

Here’s the two stems. I have begun the process of cleaning out under the canopy. Note the thickness of the stems. This is ideal. It also makes it hard to manipulate emerging branches. Be careful and bend them early if necessary. These to me are gorgeous. The size of them for the smallness of the plant means every top is getting fed via superhighway, not back road.

Here you can more easily see why the thick stems make it harder to scrog.

This is a trick I learned that helps you get the most square fill from branches with emerging growth. Separate the growth coming in and use one branch to fill several squares. Similarly, when you take leaves leave a little stump and you will have an extra anchor point that will be very useful, like this:

Now let’s look at the center. The Cherry pie is pretty center oriented with growth so I leave her be and let them grow and manipulate as necessary. The Double Grape however is far less side branch-y. It has a relatively bare center. We need growth in there to fill the middle as we force all else out and leave a vacuum. So what I do then is a bit of supercropping of the emerging little central growth and send those shoots toward the middle to fill. Here’s what that looks like.

So our scrog is doing okay. And the VS XS 1500 Pros are handling the light well too. The evenness of the coverage is great for a scrog. Still set at 75%, they give me a lot of power to play with for their size. I love these little powerhouses.

Thanks for stopping by!
looking good Jon, explained very well, i just bent one of my plants this morning not the DG though yet just the FB

But how is this possible if the plant is only taking what it wants from the medium using chem?
Same way you can burn them with a bad mix of organic soil: by having too much of an element in the root zone. Toxicity in plants is not limited to synthetic grows, but it is easier to fix in them.

"Nutrient toxicity occurs when an element is in excess of plant needs and decreases plant growth or quality."
Source

Keffka mentioned that here:
Over feeding would be how I view toxicity in the medium. You’ve just plain put too much in, or you’ve screwed up the balance and locked everyone up. You can do this easily in every method.
This is why there are specific tested recipes for organic soil mixes.

Watering Day Trick I Use

Today the Skywalker in the 7 needs water. Here’s a painfully easy trick I use when I water, really on any medium although it’s 100x more useful and important for soil.

Targeting your water, a skill I learned from Emilya, is vitally important in soil to grow your root ball out properly. If you don’t target you will pull a shit non ball looking small mass of crap out at the end. Every bit of your plant will be compromised vs if you water properly to grow the roots effectively. This becomes even more important when feeding a recently uppotted plant or when starting a seedling in a large final pot (an excellent way to test your watering skills). I even do this in Solos with seedlings. Targeting.

Most folks do this by manipulating the nozzle end of whatever type container they use to water with. Like simply running the gallon jug in circle around the plant to get the water where you think it’s going in that case. And can that work? Sure. Sometimes you’ll even get it right. If you’re really really good or water really really slowly. But it’s far from what I would call targeted. You have no idea in that case where the water is going once you can’t see it anymore. Targeted is just that - it’s precise. You want to at least try to control the water’s descent through the medium. If I want the roots to gravitate towards the outside and want to get the soil wetter an inch outside of the existing, dryer root ball, how can I target the water THAT precisely?

This is how I do it. I simply take my finger and dig a small trough or moat. In a circle around the plant. A straight down vertical wall of water falling through the medium in a circle exactly where I put the moat is what I’m after. That’s targeting. The trough or moat makes it super easy. You simply slowly pour into the moat. The water will flow around and only fill in the moat. I tend to dig it using the outermost leaf tips I have as my guide generally speaking. I use the tips to determine my moat circumference.

You can water the moat a little quicker than not having one. Still good to always water slowly imo, but the moat makes it a little quicker. More important by far is the accuracy it gives you.

A simple trick that’s very effective. For what it’s worth.

IMG_2347.jpeg

IMG_2349.jpeg
I water/feed mine the same way and it does grow great roots. Actually it was @Bill284 who taught me how to do it. CL🍀 Well I read Em’s post too.

Normally I would worry about the fact that she spent one day at 13/11 outside after a whole life to this point at 20/4 (my preferred veg light schedule vs 18/6 - I feel six hours of rest in veg is total overkill). Did I hermie her by putting her back? Lmao. Now I know one day in that regard makes no difference and she’s way too early to hermie.
Do you think maybe that particular pheno likes less dli? Maybe thats what made her happy?

I guess wait and see if the stress comes back.

Ruderalis by nature sprouts in about a 12/12 cycle working up to about a 20/4 cycle 3 months later, and a 2nd crop would sprout at 20/4 and cycle down to a 12/12 right before the 1st frosts, so maybe 2 phenos hide in that lineage.

Do you think maybe that particular pheno likes less dli? Maybe thats what made her happy?

I guess wait and see if the stress comes back.

Ruderalis by nature sprouts in about a 12/12 cycle working up to about a 20/4 cycle 3 months later, and a 2nd crop would sprout at 20/4 and cycle down to a 12/12 right before the 1st frosts, so maybe 2 phenos hide in that lineage.
Hmm. I hadn’t considered the DLI angle. I would uneducatedly guess not necessarily, since she started going south pretty much right out of the gate. I’ve never seen any seedling complain about 20/4 and I would argue that DLI is not yet in play that early. So I don’t know but I’d guess that’s not it. Shed is much more educated in DLI, maybe he has a theory.

Hmm. I hadn’t considered the DLI angle. I would uneducatedly guess not necessarily, since she started going south pretty much right out of the gate. I’ve never seen any seedling complain about 20/4 and I would argue that DLI is not yet in play that early. So I don’t know but I’d guess that’s not it. Shed is much more educated in DLI, maybe he has a theory.
Sorry Jon, I'm not sure what plant you're talking about here, not that I'm any DLI expert either!

Here’s a real rare treat!!!
Today my Yoda in Oregon sent me some information about the parent strains of my clone. Along with it, he even sent pictures as he is currently growing both the mom and the dad, along with pictures of the specific phenotypes he’s found so far in the cross I’m growing! And astoundingly, this is by FAR the best part and the guys in the lab are going to be psyched to see this: he is sending me his specific soil recipe and ECT recipe for both veg and flower he uses to grow this specific cross he’s created. I don’t even know what an ECT recipe is or means!

Wow. Like my jaw on the floor and salivating like a fool wow. I’m so psyched to share this treat with you guys, so let’s get to it. When I get the soil recipes I’ll post in the lab. Maybe. I may need to consult first so I don’t accidentally post something that I don’t understand at all that may impact someone. Here’s some pics:

This is the Mom. Lifesaver - blue phenotype

This is the Dad. Sour Bubble Bx3

Here’s a cut and paste of what Yoda says about these parents:
You can see why I made the cross. Sour bubble bx3 is super dank afghan funk, but it lacked bud sites and branching. It basically grows as one bud indoor with minimal veg…perfect for mono crop/sog. Outdoor it sucks, lots of defoliation and not enough branching. Lifesaver is awesome outdoor but lacks the dank ass afghan chocolate coffee punch. Lifesaver blue is the only flower that I could smoke paperless joints with..epic structure with superior branching.

I’ll stop there for now so that this post doesn’t get too long. I have pictures of his several phenotypes of this cross I’m calling Sour Lifesaver next, along with his comments on them.

Idk. This feels special and rare to me. You guys digging this as much as I am?

Sorry Jon, I'm not sure what plant you're talking about here, not that I'm any DLI expert either!
Oh thanks @InTheShed! We are talking about the little Mountaintop Mint x M34 that I thought was dead, took out and tossed outside on the table, forgot, let get rained on for 16 hours, left to the elements until the next day, and found now recovered and is back in the fray. A picture of her is a few posts back from today.

Here’s a real rare treat!!!
Today my Yoda in Oregon sent me some information about the parent strains of my clone. Along with it, he even sent pictures as he is currently growing both the mom and the dad, along with pictures of the specific phenotypes he’s found so far in the cross I’m growing! And astoundingly, this is by FAR the best part and the guys in the lab are going to be psyched to see this: he is sending me his specific soil recipe and ECT recipe for both veg and flower he uses to grow this specific cross he’s created. I don’t even know what an ECT recipe is or means!

Wow. Like my jaw on the floor and salivating like a fool wow. I’m so psyched to share this treat with you guys, so let’s get to it. When I get the soil recipes I’ll post in the lab. Maybe. I may need to consult first so I don’t accidentally post something that I don’t understand at all that may impact someone. Here’s some pics:

This is the Mom. Lifesaver - blue phenotype

This is the Dad. Sour Bubble Bx3

Here’s a cut and paste of what Yoda says about these parents:
You can see why I made the cross. Sour bubble bx3 is super dank afghan funk, but it lacked bud sites and branching. It basically grows as one bud indoor with minimal veg…perfect for mono crop/sog. Outdoor it sucks, lots of defoliation and not enough branching. Lifesaver is awesome outdoor but lacks the dank ass afghan chocolate coffee punch. Lifesaver blue is the only flower that I could smoke paperless joints with..epic structure with superior branching.

I’ll stop there for now so that this post doesn’t get too long. I have pictures of his several phenotypes of this cross I’m calling Sour Lifesaver next, along with his comments on them.

Idk. This feels special and rare to me. You guys digging this as much as I am?
It’s pretty cool 😎 I think 🤔 so yeah I’m digging it. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheer:

I feel like I've read that nitrogen is one of the easiest element to wash from soil, so maybe the rain cleared the N out and left you with yellowing lowers?
Well, they were already there. Here’s how bad she was:

IMG_2313.jpeg

IMG_2308.jpeg

It’s pretty cool 😎 I think 🤔 so yeah I’m digging it. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheer:
Ha! Thanks CL. I got all excited and a little carried away there briefly, what with a gigantic dumb banner to the post and all….shucks.

:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom