Is This Your Homework Larry? Seedsman Skunk #1 In Soil

I was reading in someone’s thread the other day about how chlorine and chloramine isn’t a terrible thing... don’t quote me... if I find the info again I’ll link to it lol. Can’t remember who or where it was at the moment.

I’m definitely liking the 10gal pot I’m in right now... i am curious if the 1x7gal properly watered would out do my inconsistently watered 10gal... would be interesting to see anyways.

I liked the diy water system the Preston hooked up... but not sure it would work for soil.

I was reading in someone’s thread the other day about how chlorine and chloramine isn’t a terrible thing... don’t quote me... if I find the info again I’ll link to it lol. Can’t remember who or where it was at the moment.

I’m definitely liking the 10gal pot I’m in right now... i am curious if the 1x7gal properly watered would out do my inconsistently watered 10gal... would be interesting to see anyways.

I liked the diy water system the Preston hooked up... but not sure it would work for soil.
hey pj ive read the same thing a little now and then good for the soil but in my casr growing exclusively organic I like to make teas get the michrorganisms going in there but there cant be any chlorine in there or its just brown water its got nutes but no life!

hey pj ive read the same thing a little now and then good for the soil but in my casr growing exclusively organic I like to make teas get the michrorganisms going in there but there cant be any chlorine in there or its just brown water its got nutes but no life!

Thanks sticky! That’s what I had always thought and why I left water out overnight to evaporate... chloramines don’t though? If I’m remembering correctly... then I read whoever had posted it and started second guessing it....I’m not a scientist lol what I’m doing has been working so that’s what I shall continue to do lol

Thanks sticky! That’s what I had always thought and why I left water out overnight to evaporate... chloramines don’t though? If I’m remembering correctly... then I read whoever had posted it and started second guessing it....I’m not a scientist lol what I’m doing has been working so that’s what I shall continue to do lol
I will put the water in a 5 gal bucket and bubble it for at least 24 hrs. that helps get it out and oxgynates the water which helps the plants!

Hey Urb, I mentioned that chat in Shed's journal cause there was some talk of organic soil and how the pro's do their set up. I'm not sure your level and I know you've mentioned some concerns about your mix and such. Just a few sentences that caught my attention and I thought you'd find interesting. Something along the lines of putting everything you'll need into the mix before you plant your seeds and the plant takes what it needs when it needs it.

:cool:

Urb you're not gettin it, It's beach sand around here. Coachella Valley, Southern CA.

I mean maybe if I were to dig down, but damn man I ain't trying to do all that...!

:laugh:
I lived out in Yuma Arizona, doesn't get much more dessert than that.......except that the colorado river used to run much bigger centuries ago alot of the flat dessert land out here was all delta overflow....literally miles and miles of what appears to be just desert and dunes, that contain thousands of years of incredible overflows full of all that soil magic. Its one of the reasons that despite being sandy, the soil in that area is an agricultural goldmine.

Point being....you can't judge soil by just the top few inches all the time. You never know what used to happen in that location thousands of years ago. But I am right there with you.....I wouldn't be out there digging down to find it either. There are far easier options for great soil lol.

Those autopot things are pretty kickass! Ive been looking at them for quite some time...one of the downfalls for it..imho, would be the fact the biggest system (XL) only holds 7 gallons of soil. Makes a quite a bit trickier/more finicky with living organic soil!

I've seen bobrown kill it with them, which sets me at ease a bit...but if I wanted a truly simple automated system I'm not sure I'd go with that little of amount of soil. I'm fairly certain that calls for more topdressing/feedings of some kind. Which is why I havent made the jump...YET!

I am seriously considering them for when I revamp my room..but have alot of questions to answer first! My other option would be blu-mats, which are absolutely killer from what I've seen! Of course they'd use fabric pots, at whatever size you prefer...even a 100 gal bed if you wanted to pheno hunt in it!!

Definitely love the conversation going on though! Would like others input on blumats!? I like monster plants btw..I limit myself to 4 or less plants so dont want to be hindered by the 7 gal, if thats how it happens to work out! Rambling now, plants are looking much better Urb :blunt:keep up the good work brother :snowboating:
I spoke with a rep from the Auto pots company back at the Harvest cup. They have the valves that you can use for tray watering if you wanted to put big fabric pot in a tray of some sort. It sounded interesting but I am going to try to make something from the cannabis irrigation system that they give for the prizes and see how it works since I have it. My biggest issue is I tend to grow in different sized pots....I have stuff flowering in 4 gal, 5 gal, 7 gal, 10 gal, and 15 gal so figuring a way to make it work will take some experimentation. I imagine I could have two valves going to the 10s, three going to the 15s, 1 going to the 4 and 5......but what to do with the 7 gal :hmmmm:

I like what you're on to there. I was thinking about the home irrigation systems and how they are set-up. Probably cost prohibitive, but if you had multi valve set up with a single timer you could fire different zones for different amounts of time. And multiple times a day if you're in coco like I am. This solution works for me because I've got soil and coco going right now.

:lot-o-toke:

I spoke with a rep from the Auto pots company back at the Harvest cup. They have the valves that you can use for tray watering if you wanted to put big fabric pot in a tray of some sort. It sounded interesting but I am going to try to make something from the cannabis irrigation system that they give for the prizes and see how it works since I have it. My biggest issue is I tend to grow in different sized pots....I have stuff flowering in 4 gal, 5 gal, 7 gal, 10 gal, and 15 gal so figuring a way to make it work will take some experimentation. I imagine I could have two valves going to the 10s, three going to the 15s, 1 going to the 4 and 5......but what to do with the 7 gal :hmmmm:
Oh good find! I'll definitely check those out...not sure on the 7 gallon one, maybe phase it out? :passitleft:

Oh good find! I'll definitely check those out...not sure on the 7 gallon one, maybe phase it out? :passitleft:
Nope....just figured it out.....I will run 3 to two 7 gallon pots and either run one to bottom water in a tray and that can be shared between the two, or I will run a T split and share the valve on the top or something.

Looks awesome in here! Good work. Any follow up clips? The is this your homework Larry still f makes me laugh! Lebowski
Mind if I do a j?
I don’t want to summon the wrath of the admins for posting clips of things lol.

I flipped the plants the day before yesterday and watered them last night mostly plain water. Put a small clip on IG of the canopy.

In a few days I will make an ACT with some flowering goodies in it.

Ok a bit of an interesting update.

First off we are in day 3 of flower, roughly lol, and I fed them an ACT with kelp meal, insect frass, and compost. This 1 gallon mix was added to the 4 gallons of water. To that I added remos magnifical, some homemade calcium phosphate (it helps lower ph too as it’s an acid) , and ph down to 6.3. Slow watered all 5 gallons of this mix.

Saw some new gnats so I topped up the sand in areas where it looked thin, including the edges.

The big news is my electrician showed up and put in a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Direct from the breaker panel to the tent, getting its own outlet. This will cover any electrical demand I could ever need for my little grow.

View media item 1656292
View media item 1656291
View media item 1656287
Now I need a nice clean power bar or controller to keep all my power plugs elevated on the wall.
View media item 1656290

I also moved my exhaust. It was going into existing ductwork but I now have it being directed into another adjacent room in the basement. Where I dry my hockey gear so the warm air movement is welcome there.
View media item 1656289
View media item 1656288

looking good I love watching someone deck out there grow room good job urb!:)
Damn dude!! Nice work!

Thank you gentlemen. I don’t mess around lol.

This dedicated circuit opens up all sorts of options. Everything from building a grow room to expanding my legal grow limit.

For now we will just be a little more secure in knowing our electrical capacity is more than meeting the demand.

Heck yeah brother. Your definitely on the right track! New setup looks clean. Wish I knew a trusty electrician...thats my next step needed before I can do much else :eye-roll:

Not sure I've asked before or not...you have rice hulls on hand? They would be a killer replacement for that sand! Especially since you were unsure of it at one point.

I just very recently added a thin layer of rice hulls to my existing barley straw mulch layer...and they literally disappeared within 2-3 days! I've been battling them like a mofo for about 2 months too, so its my new go-to. I tried spinosad, neem oil, neem cake, bti/mosquito bits, and barley straw all while having direct airflow from the fans. Rice hulls out-did them all....and the added silica/organic matter definitely couldnt hurt! :headbanger::passitleft:

Heck yeah brother. Your definitely on the right track! New setup looks clean. Wish I knew a trusty electrician...thats my next step needed before I can do much else :eye-roll:

Not sure I've asked before or not...you have rice hulls on hand? They would be a killer replacement for that sand! Especially since you were unsure of it at one point.

I just very recently added a thin layer of rice hulls to my existing barley straw mulch layer...and they literally disappeared within 2-3 days! I've been battling them like a mofo for about 2 months too, so its my new go-to. I tried spinosad, neem oil, neem cake, bti/mosquito bits, and barley straw all while having direct airflow from the fans. Rice hulls out-did them all....and the added silica/organic matter definitely couldnt hurt! :headbanger::passitleft:
I don’t have any rice hulls but I will keep an eye out. Have been for a while.

Once this grow is done I will mix up all the soil I have together. Taking off as much of the sand as I can.

In a month I will start some new plants. To be ready for the big tent when this round is ready for harvest. So I will use fresh compost soil in those pots.

Between the new plants being in pots, and the bins being mixed, that’s when we will go to the autopots. Once there I think rice hulls would be a good long term mulch. Maybe a combination of mulch then rice hulls. Help keep the soil moist as it takes all its water from the autopot tray.

Long version of no I don’t have any, I should, and will eventually lol

Back
Top Bottom