InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I've just been a bit on the lazy side in the tent and in life this last couple months. I started into it once and realized it was going to take longer than 5 minutes and quit. Also grew Christmas trees this grow because I didn't feel like training them. Finally put some pipe cleaners to them a couple days ago (7.5 weeks mark) to pull them apart a little. Today maybe the tides turned. Got up at 6 AM and decided to investigate the water leak in my refrigerator. I had a pressure regulator go out in the house around the first of October and it blew something in the fridge since pressure went to over 110 psi. I turned the water supply off to the fridge and have been buying bagged ice since. After a whopping 5 minutes of diagnosis, I found that it was coming from the water filter on the fridge. Disconnected the water filter, no leak, and I have ice again. New filter is on order and will be here Thursday. Probably should have spent the 5 minutes months ago. The rest of the day I've been cleaning, washing walls, finally got up the Christmas tree, etc., 11 hours worth.
It's nice when the fixes turn out to be so much easier than the procrastination because you think it's going to be a major pain! 11 hours of getting the house in order gets a 48 hour break in my book...enjoy!

Unfortunately that's just the first floor, second floor tomorrow althougth that shouldn't be near as bad. Also need to finish the fence I started the other week. Need to go buy another 15 fence posts first.

Tuesday update! Since I'm off work I got to work on the plants, and after this post...nap time!

Transplant day for the Peyote Critical on day 71 (I think). I reused the ProMix HP from BT1 and added a bit of new soil at the top. Yes, Mykos included in the soil, on the root ball, and Great White in the nute water!

Pretty root bound at the bottom:

I sunk it as far as I could without planting it at the bottom of the 10 gallon!

All tied up and ready to go! I did a bit of supercropping of the leaders in the middle:

I also thinned the Sour G, which looks like it has finally started growing again after a 2 month pause. Here is what I took off:

I took anything that was never going to reach the canopy even after I supercrop before I flip next month, as well as completely shaded leaves crowded in the middle. You can't even tell!

I topped a couple of clones and watered everything. Tomorrow I'll thin the AK and maybe up-can the two clones I'm keeping. With three big pots and the BT2 spread wide, I may be out of room under the light. The clones might have to live in the bike shed under the CFL with the AK! I'll know later :).

I also want feedback tomorrow as to whether to top the Candidas yet, so stay tuned for that as well.
Nap time!
:slide:

Tuesday update! Since I'm off work I got to work on the plants, and after this post...nap time!

Transplant day for the Peyote Critical on day 71 (I think). I reused the ProMix HP from BT1 and added a bit of new soil at the top. Yes, Mykos included in the soil, on the root ball, and Great White in the nute water!

Pretty root bound at the bottom:

I sunk it as far as I could without planting it at the bottom of the 10 gallon!

All tied up and ready to go! I did a bit of supercropping of the leaders in the middle:

I also thinned the Sour G, which looks like it has finally started growing again after a 2 month pause. Here is what I took off:

I took anything that was never going to reach the canopy even after I supercrop before I flip next month, as well as completely shaded leaves crowded in the middle. You can't even tell!

I topped a couple of clones and watered everything. Tomorrow I'll thin the AK and maybe up-can the two clones I'm keeping. With three big pots and the BT2 spread wide, I may be out of room under the light. The clones might have to live in the bike shed under the CFL with the AK! I'll know later :).

I also want feedback tomorrow as to whether to top the Candidas yet, so stay tuned for that as well.
Nap time!
:slide:
That PC is Jolene's long lost cousin! Good job on the transplant!
:bravo:
She's gonna pop roots out the bottom real soon! Them 10 gal pots will be my new "standard" finishing pot.

Looking great over there brother!
:high-five:

Nice update Shed and peyote should do better in the new pot! Hope your well my friend
Thanks for stopping by Dutch! I think it was showing some deficiencies from being rootbound, so I hope this does the trick.
That PC is Jolene's long lost cousin! Good job on the transplant!
:bravo:
She's gonna pop roots out the bottom real soon! Them 10 gal pots will be my new "standard" finishing pot.
Looking great over there brother!
:high-five:
I'll never get roots like yours on this though. Temps for these plants never break 70 for long and in the low 60s at night. Damn LEDs put out no heat!
Looking fabulous!
Thanks newty!

Oh, never got that nap in, Justin Case you're wondering. My wife got stuck in traffic so I went and did afternoon carpool at my son's high school. 5:20pm is probably too late to start :rolleyes:.

There's a thing plants do called translocation. It's how nutrients are moved from one part of the plant to the other and why it's not necessary for all flowers to get direct sun or even all leaves. Ever wonder how some of the low down buds are just and strong as the tops? That's translocation at work.
Now that I have this fancy light, how does translocation relate to light penetration from our lamps? Is light penetration as important as we make it out to be if translocation is moving nutrients around regardless of line-of-sight access to the light source?

I noticed years ago, when I went from a 600W hps to 1000 watts of blurples, that my plants in the corners didn't have stunted growth in the shaded parts away from the lights. So the plants clearly move nutrients around when there's enough light.

But I also noticed a remarkable difference in my yields when I went to 670 watts of Samsungs - at least 30%. So there's something else involved. A lot of that improvement came from lower growth. Under the other lights it was airy and a PIA to harvest. Under the 4200 Samsung diodes it was all firm and solid, amounting to as much as a half ounce of some plants - not schwag. :)

I've also looked into hormone movement etc, trying to decide if defoliation made sense, and trying to better understand the organic processes. Fan leaves, for instance, grow out of the hormone loop, so if you remove them, it has little effect on the hormone processes. Fans are kinda off on their own, producing carbs for the plant. If you remove new growth it alters hormones in the nearby tissues and encourages new additional growth.

Obviously, something is happening in the lower growth because of the improved light dispersion - penetration if you will - that wasn't supplied with an equal intensity of 5 blurple panels spread across the sky. :hmmmm: I think it must have to do with the lower sugar fans - the new growth - getting more direct light than before.

That makes me think that in addition to translocation, a significant amount of nutrition is supplied by the nearby fans. I also notice that all my plants have a beautiful green skirt of foliage at the bottom now, and since it rarely gets too much light and always gets enough, it's always green and unstressed.

I noticed years ago, when I went from a 600W hps to 1000 watts of blurples, that my plants in the corners didn't have stunted growth in the shaded parts away from the lights. So the plants clearly move nutrients around when there's enough light.

But I also noticed a remarkable difference in my yields when I went to 670 watts of Samsungs - at least 30%. So there's something else involved. A lot of that improvement came from lower growth. Under the other lights it was airy and a PIA to harvest. Under the 4200 Samsung diodes it was all firm and solid, amounting to as much as a half ounce of some plants - not schwag. :)

I've also looked into hormone movement etc, trying to decide if defoliation made sense, and trying to better understand the organic processes. Fan leaves, for instance, grow out of the hormone loop, so if you remove them, it has little effect on the hormone processes. Fans are kinda off on their own, producing carbs for the plant. If you remove new growth it alters hormones in the nearby tissues and encourages new additional growth.

Obviously, something is happening in the lower growth because of the improved light dispersion - penetration if you will - that wasn't supplied with an equal intensity of 5 blurple panels spread across the sky. :hmmmm: I think it must have to do with the lower sugar fans - the new growth - getting more direct light than before.

That makes me think that in addition to translocation, a significant amount of nutrition is supplied by the nearby fans. I also notice that all my plants have a beautiful green skirt of foliage at the bottom now, and since it rarely gets too much light and always gets enough, it's always green and unstressed.
Well, your plants do look rather frosty from top to bottom, so that's obviously a thing :). I haven't grown any plants yet that have much spread in height so I won't be able to test that until something I grow actually stretches in flower. I train my autos pretty flat and so far my photos haven't had the sativa stretch.

I had the sense from Bo that he was talking about moving nutrients around when there wasn't enough light which seemed to make light penetration less important on the face of the theory.

I have wondered lately about fan leaf replacement after reading a number of growers talking about how, 3 or 4 days after a hard defoliation, the plant looks like nothing happened. I respond by saying, well the plant obviously expended energy replacing those fans rather than growing taller or building buds.

Interesting concept about the light reaching the lower fans causing the lower buds to fatten up. I wonder if that's testable by stripping one branch and leaving the fans on another.

The no-tap root one is taller but shows less vigorous side growth from the lower nodes than the one that had a tap root. Other than that they look like identical phenotypes. Pics tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom