InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Well Shed. I appreciate that you had the energy to facilitate the discussion of light building with a couple of folks who come from slightly different schools of thought, plus a couple of other folks chiming in here n there. It’s really not easy managing all of that while trying to figure out the basics of what you need/can afford. You did it great and with great benefits to the rest of us.

There is a lot of really useful information in amongst that discussion. Do you happen to know what pages of the journal it spans - the figuring out watts-amps-number of diodes etc etc. ? I meant to make a note of the most educationally salient posts, but I didn’t. I can always trawl back... juts thought I’d ask in case you noted the pages already ;)

:Namaste:

That's a tough one to answer. If you had a meter to measure then it would be easier. I run my lights based on my meter readings so i can lower my wattage and lower my light and know what the plants are still getting. Or raise my lights and my wattage to get deep penetration with taller plants. So I can't answer that without a meter in your hands and what numbers you should be looking for. Sorry. That sounds like a bailout but i don't want to steer you or someone reading this the wrong way.

That's a tough one to answer. If you had a meter to measure then it would be easier. I run my lights based on my meter readings so i can lower my wattage and lower my light and know what the plants are still getting. Or raise my lights and my wattage to get deep penetration with taller plants. So I can't answer that without a meter in your hands and what numbers you should be looking for. Sorry. That sounds like a bailout but i don't want to steer you or someone reading this the wrong way.
No, that's actually helpful! I don't have anything considered a "taller" plant as my canopies are all pretty flat right now, so lowering the light would be a better alternative to raising the wattage. Thanks!

I believe he's referring to his PPFD meter.
I use a lux meter which I then convert to ppfd ! Was 45$ bucks but if you want a good meter get one that reads in umols save yourself the math .

I use a lux meter which I then convert to ppfd ! Was 45$ bucks but if you want a good meter get one that reads in umols save yourself the math .
Great idea Joe! From what I can find on the web, the conversion factor from lux to ppfd varies depending on color temperature. That's actually easy with strips or boards that are all one temp, but how does it work with multi-spectrum LEDs like MarsHydro etc.?

Great idea Joe! From what I can find on the web, the conversion factor from lux to ppfd varies depending on color temperature. That's actually easy with strips or boards that are all one temp, but how does it work with multi-spectrum LEDs like MarsHydro etc.?

Well in all fairness buddy im still learning this bro.

I can find some links if you like that I went or am going off if you’d like?

Here shed

How to Use a Cheap Lux Meter to Increase Yields | Grow Weed Easy

That would be great Joe! I'd love to see those. What I find is something like this:
Convert PPFD to Lux - Online Calculator | Waveform Lighting
or this
PPFD to Lux Conversion
Also doesn’t say anything about led all info there is sunlight or hps fluorescent but no led which is the only thing that bugs me out .

So right now my lux meter reads my new light says 30 lux at its biggest top so to
Me that is 20thou -40 is good for veg(lux wize)
My mars is saying 22 ish at aroud. 26 inch away currently .

SEe I wish there was a chart that said this one for epistar chips or this for free osbram chisp Lol I just go by sunlight
3000K High CRI LEDs take 52,556 lux to put out 1000 PPFD
Sunlight would be 43,478 lux to produce the same 1000 PPFD.

That's 9000 fewer (less?) lux for sunlight than a 3000K LED to reach 1000 PPFD

At 22,000 lux, a 4000K LED is running 400 PPFD according to the online calculator, for what it's worth.

I guess that's why the PPFD meters cost more! Because using just lux can leave you a wide margin in accuracy.

At 22,000 lux, a 4000K LED is running 400 PPFD according to the online calculator, for what it's worth.

I guess that's why the PPFD meters cost more! Because using just lux can leave you a wide margin in accuracy.
Yeah so I guess I need to know what Im
Running for lights are they 3000k are they 3500k are they 4000 k then find it ?

With white lights at specific spectrum the calculation seems reasonably straight forward. Once you get multi-spectrum like Mars or any blurple LEDs, I don't see how you could do a calculation.

I just see 22 I see it as a safe zone I see 40 lux in veg I see it as peak light needed for veg .

Guess I got more studying to do

Check that LED professor going! :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom