InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Thanks Van! I hadn't seen any lab test on cobs so I had no idea that it would decarb at those temps! Most people use the chart publicized on the skunkpharmresearch.com website:
decarboxylation-graph-1-11.jpg

Or this one on the NIH website:
fig-8.jpg

There are other studies done (I can't locate the pdf I'm looking for at the moment though) but they all reach similar conclusions.

I figure that since the goal of decarbing weed is to move on to the next stage of the process (as opposed to cobbing which is an end in and of itself), I think that 240º is a good temperature to stick with. In an ideal world it would probably be 230ºF (110ºC) and only for 30 minutes, but I try to account for the vagaries of the oven, the dampness of the buds, and the insulating properties of aluminum foil.

I remember reading in one of SweetSue's thread where someone postulated that a low temperature for a long time might be ineffective because of the minimum temp that is needed to remove the carbon atom from the chain. Not every catalyst is a catalyst at all concentrations.

Do the cob results mean that cobs do not need to be heated and therefore can produce the same effects as smoking but without any heat (like eating it would be the same as traditionally-made edibles)?

I'd love to see the cob test results!
Yes, you can chew the cob and it hits you after 2-3 hours and the effects last for several hour. Its a much different type of effect from smoking it.....I imagine similar to the edible vs smoked effects. The fact it can effect you indicates to me that a decarbing takes place at that lower temp, otherwise you wouldn't feel anything.

I believe that there is talk in making oil from cobs but not sure if anyone has progressed to that point yet. i definitely want to give it a try at some point.

The fact it can effect you indicates to me that a decarbing takes place at that lower temp, otherwise you wouldn't feel anything.

100%
I know for sure it can be done at temps of 140°~170°, it just needs a longer exposure to the heat. I've done a couple batches of oil in the crockpot without previously decarb-ing the plant material. A 12 hour infusion bouncing around 155° +/- was enough to decarb and produce some potent meds.

Cobbing doesn't get anywhere near those temps though, huh? Definitely makes for an extremely versatile final product though.

Pretty cool info! Feel like I learnt' something today.
:high-five:

With cobbing there must be some decarb’ing action driven by the fermentation as well as the heat. Fermentation does all sorts of things to molecular structure - so that decarb’ that happens with the cobs likely has to do with more than time and temp. Time and temp is part of it of course, but the fermenting is a whole other thing.

Hope the beard trimming went well Shed! :thumb:

Hey shed
Here is my winter picture for you got most of her last night. Should be a fun day at work today lol
Have a good one brotha
Thanks so much Joe! Love looking at the frosty stuff as long as I don't have to live in it :).
:thanks:
Turkey bag your decarb in the oven. Just make sure you have very little air in the bag before you start to heat it up as it will expand and then leak out some.
Or POP!
Hey Shed. Just ordered 4* inFlux_L04 from DigiKey. Hope santa comes early this year. Order yours now...
PRG's links made me more confused than clarified! I'll follow up on that with my thoughts and many many questions later today.
Yes, you can chew the cob and it hits you after 2-3 hours and the effects last for several hour. Its a much different type of effect from smoking it.....I imagine similar to the edible vs smoked effects. The fact it can effect you indicates to me that a decarbing takes place at that lower temp, otherwise you wouldn't feel anything.
I believe that there is talk in making oil from cobs but not sure if anyone has progressed to that point yet. i definitely want to give it a try at some point.
That's amazing info Van! You (or whoever got the test done) should post that into SweetSue's Decarb thread. It would change a lot of minds here. I still want it done fast so I can get on with the 8 hour EVOO infusion process (4 hours with butter).
100%
I know for sure it can be done at temps of 140°~170°, it just needs a longer exposure to the heat. I've done a couple batches of oil in the crockpot without previously decarb-ing the plant material. A 12 hour infusion bouncing around 155° +/- was enough to decarb and produce some potent meds.
Cobbing doesn't get anywhere near those temps though, huh? Definitely makes for an extremely versatile final product though.
Pretty cool info! Feel like I learnt' something today.
:high-five:
Pretty cool, right? This is why we're all here :thumb:
With cobbing there must be some decarb’ing action driven by the fermentation as well as the heat. Fermentation does all sorts of things to molecular structure - so that decarb’ that happens with the cobs likely has to do with more than time and temp. Time and temp is part of it of course, but the fermenting is whole other thing.
Hope this beard trimming went well Shed! :thumb:
Interesting on the fermentation concept. Well-above my pay grade and my chemistry knowledge :rolleyes:. Beard trimming went well and he looks much less like Santa now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday update is a quick tour and random thoughts. It's a short day at work today and if there's not much traffic I'll head down to Lowe's before heading home to get another bag of ProMix HP at prices well higher than beez's mouse-eaten bags :).

Round and round the garden like a teddy bear...

Peyote Critical after topping and stripping, day 44. It's not ready for the StankClips® yet though:

The two AK-47 clones from 9/30 got full-strength veg nutes yesterday because they look kinda yellow. I topped them last week to keep them under control:

Carrying on the LST conversation on Blue Treacle auto 2, here is the lowest branch. Every flower you see is off that one branch (no, not the BT1 in the upper right all you wise-asses). You can picture what this would have looked like untrained.

I texted Clone Boy and all his cuttings died. Here are the AKs I stuck in one pot on the same day. I've got 8 growing and I'm not sure on the 9th. I think I pulled two out earlier that didn't make it. I offered him the whole pot if he wanted it once I see roots at the bottom. He can do the disentangling ;):

And finally, here is a stray bee wondering why I still haven't flipped Sour G!

That's what I've got today. I hope you're all having a great week so far, and if Thanksgiving is on your agenda for tomorrow, I hope you get to spend it with mostly folks you enjoy :).

:battingeyelashes:

PRG's links made me more confused than clarified! I'll follow up on that with my thoughts and many many questions later today.

Yeah I can see that. Digi-Key has a lot of components and its not easy to navigate it. I ordered the ones with single row of leds. PGR said that they were much more effective than the double rows. Ordered inFlux_L04 the ones that give 4190lm, 3000K, 24V and draw 1,38A. That's 126lm/W. They are 559mm long and 23mm wide. If you are looking for those they are called SL-B8V3N80L1WW just copy in to search at Digi-Key.

Then you need a driver. The one I got for this is MeanWell 185H 48A. But if you get the 320H or what you said the other day it's fine too. Mine is missing roughly the draw of one strip but I don't care if the other gets dimmed. I can always get more drivers. :)

Hey shed

Here is my winter picture for you got most of her last night. Should be a fun day at work today lol

Have a good one brotha

We are not there with the snow yet but the temps have been dipping into the low 20'sF consistently. That is not supposed to happen for another month or so. People talk about global warming well it's not happening here. I used to not put my bikes up until after Thanksgiving. The last several years I haven't made it to Halloween riding. Spring drags out to. I swear we are down to two seasons, summer and winter.

People talk about global warming
It's global warming, not "your neck of the wood" warming. That's why it's easier to think of it as climate change. You have just described a change in your climate. :thumb:
Yeah I can see that. Digi-Key has a lot of components and its not easy to navigate it. I ordered the ones with single row of leds. PGR said that they were much more effective than the double rows. Ordered inFlux_L04 the ones that give 4190lm, 3000K, 24V and draw 1,38A. That's 126lm/W. They are 559mm long and 23mm wide. If you are looking for those they are called SL-B8V3N80L1WW just copy in to search at Digi-Key.

Then you need a driver. The one I got for this is MeanWell 185H 48A. But if you get the 320H or what you said the other day it's fine too. Mine is missing roughly the draw of one strip but I don't care if the other gets dimmed. I can always get more drivers. :)
Okay, but after PGR said read that link to the LED DIY website, they had the Q-series as most efficient and the F series as top ranked. And the H series last!

Also, I was thinking of mounting these the long way along the 4' length rather than creating a ladder with them. Is that okay when I start looking at sizes? I'm covering about 2x4.

Off to get gas and then to Lowes for ProMix!

It's global warming, not "your neck of the wood" warming. That's why it's easier to think of it as climate change. You have just described a change in your climate. :thumb:

I knew that would get you. That was intentional. :p The big lakes up here govern the weather more than people not from the area think. The weather here is strongly influenced by the jet stream which is in turn influnced by the temps in the Pacific. I get it. ;)

I think mounting them longways as opposed to ladder like is a fine choice Shed. Blacksmiths was some that way and looks awesome - I assume we’ll be hearing from him soon sometime about how it’s worked out. Most of the others I’ve seen have racked the strips up longways like that too :thumb:

Thanks so much Joe! Love looking at the frosty stuff as long as I don't have to live in it :).
:thanks:

Or POP!

That's amazing info Van! You (or whoever got the test done) should post that into SweetSue's Decarb thread. It would change a lot of minds here. I still want it done fast so I can get on with the 8 hour EVOO infusion process (4 hours with butter).

Pretty cool, right? This is why we're all here :thumb:

Interesting on the fermentation concept. Well-above my pay grade and my chemistry knowledge :rolleyes:. Beard trimming went well and he looks much less like Santa now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday update is a quick tour and random thoughts. It's a short day at work today and if there's not much traffic I'll head down to Lowe's before heading home to get another bag of ProMix HP at prices well higher than beez's mouse-eaten bags :).

Round and round the garden like a teddy bear...

Peyote Critical after topping and stripping, day 44. It's not ready for the StankClips® yet though:

The two AK-47 clones from 9/30 got full-strength veg nutes yesterday because they look kinda yellow. I topped them last week to keep them under control:

Carrying on the LST conversation on Blue Treacle auto 2, here is the lowest branch. Every flower you see is off that one branch (no, not the BT1 in the upper right all you wise-asses). You can picture what this would have looked like untrained.

I texted Clone Boy and all his cuttings died. Here are the AKs I stuck in one pot on the same day. I've got 8 growing and I'm not sure on the 9th. I think I pulled two out earlier that didn't make it. I offered him the whole pot if he wanted it once I see roots at the bottom. He can do the disentangling ;):

And finally, here is a stray bee wondering why I still haven't flipped Sour G!

That's what I've got today. I hope you're all having a great week so far, and if Thanksgiving is on your agenda for tomorrow, I hope you get to spend it with mostly folks you enjoy :).

:battingeyelashes:
I’d bring your way but then I see these beautiful plants and say I can’t do that to a good man no matter my sniffles :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom