InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Congratulations on the harvest @InTheShed! Gorgeous buds. The tops are incredible.

I have a few questions following your excellent post about your harvest:

- Do you always cut the fans off like the day before you actually chop? That was how I read what you did. Is this the case? Is this just to make it easier, or is there some other purpose to it?

- What are your temps and RH inside the tent when you use it to dry? Do you run the extraction fan? And do you put a fan on the floor to move air, but NOT blowing on the buds?

- How many days of dry do you usually get when drying a harvest this size at the environment you (hopefully) listed?

- After they’re dry, do you ever do any “pre-cure” type stuff, like transfer to large tote or whatever, or do you just go directly to the jars?

Thanks Shed, and congrats again on a beautiful grow and harvest. Awesome plant.

Congratulations on the harvest @InTheShed! Gorgeous buds. The tops are incredible, and congrats on a beautiful grow. Awesome plant.
Thanks Jon! I'm glad you stopped by to check it out. ✔️
I have a few questions following your excellent post about your harvest:
Fire away:
Do you always cut the fans off like the day before you actually chop? That was how I read what you did. Is this the case? Is this just to make it easier, or is there some other purpose to it?
I take the fans strictly to speed up the harvest/trimming process.
What are your temps and RH inside the tent when you use it to dry? Do you run the extraction fan? And do you put a fan on the floor to move air, but NOT blowing on the buds?
I'm at the mercy of whatever the weather is when I harvest, so the fan situation will vary depending on the RH at the time. This week it happens to be in the 60s so I have the exhaust and clip fans running all the time. If it were in the 50s or lower I would turn off the exhaust fan after day 2 to slow the drying process down.

I used to have an oscillating fan on the floor facing the back wall but all those fans broke over time and I never replaced them, so the fixed clip fans at the top are pointing down the back.

I never worry about temperature a) because there's nothing I can do about it and b) because it doesn't really matter (within normal household temps, like 60-80°). Relative humidity is relative to temperature so RH is the only factor I look at to determine fan configuration.
How many days of dry do you usually get when drying a harvest this size at the environment you (hopefully) listed?
I aim for a 7 day hang. I usually get close unless the Santa Ana winds are blowing and dropping the RH into the 30s and below.
After they’re dry, do you ever do any “pre-cure” type stuff, like transfer to large tote or whatever, or do you just go directly to the jars?
A correct pre-cure is as important as curing for getting the buds in smokeable condition. That's the next 14 days after the 7 day hang dry. The buds get cut off the lines and put in turkey bags (because big harvests!) and burped 2x/day for a week, once a day for a week, and then sealed in jars with Boveda 62 packs for at least another three weeks to cure.

The purpose of this time is unrelated to getting the buds down to 62% RH, though that's also a goal. It's all about getting rid of as much chlorophyll as possible before curing, and that takes oxygen.

If they are getting too dry during the burping process there are a few ways to add moisture (apple wedges, lemon slices, bread ends, stems from the harvest), but I find that bread is fastest in turkey bags.

If they're not within a few points of 62% at the end of 2 weeks of burping (and the weather is higher than 62%), I will either put them in a box with a mini dehuey or use rice balls (link in my sig).

Hope that helps!
Congrats on the harvest Shed, trainwreck is one of my favorites, great post on taking down and bud washing to drying. I can read the years of experience on your belt.
Thanks dani! A lot of folks have recommended Trainwreck over the years so I have high hopes. :)

I'll post pics and go through the rest of the process outlined in my post to Jon above as it happens, and it turns out that this is my 52nd plant harvested!

Fire away:

I'm at the mercy of whatever the weather is when I harvest, so the fan situation will vary depending on the RH at the time. This week it happens to be in the 60s so I have the exhaust and clip fans running all the time. If it were in the 50s or lower I would turn off the exhaust fan after day 2 to slow the drying process down.

I used to have an oscillating fan on the floor facing the back wall but all those fans broke over time and I never replaced them, so the fixed clip fans at the top are pointing down the back.

I never worry about temperature a) because there's nothing I can do about it and b) because it doesn't really matter (within normal household temps, like 60-80°). Relative humidity is relative to temperature so RH is the only factor I look at to determine fan configuration.

I aim for a 7 day hang. I usually get close unless the Santa Ana winds are blowing and dropping the RH into the 30s and below.

A correct pre-cure is as important as curing for getting the buds in smokeable condition. That's the next 14 days after the 7 day hang dry. The buds get cut off the lines and put in turkey bags (because big harvests!) and burped 2x/day for a week, once a day for a week, and then sealed in jars with Boveda 62 packs for at least another three weeks to cure.

The purpose of this time is unrelated to getting the buds down to 62% RH, though that's also a goal. It's all about getting rid of as much chlorophyll as possible before curing, and that takes oxygen.

If they are getting too dry during the burping process there are a few ways to add moisture (apple wedges, lemon slices, bread ends, stems from the harvest), but I find that bread is fastest in turkey bags.

If they're not within a few points of 62% at the end of 2 weeks of burping (and the weather is higher than 62%), I will either put them in a box with a mini dehuey or use rice balls (link in my sig).

Hope that helps!

Thanks dani! A lot of folks have recommended Trainwreck over the years so I have high hopes. :)

I'll post pics and go through the rest of the process outlined in my post to Jon above as it happens, and it turns out that this is my 52nd plant harvested!
Congrats on 52 Shed that is impressive my friend 👏Well done.

Fire away:

Hope that helps!

It does and thanks! I do something similar to the turkey bags you guys love so much (a lot of folks use them it seems), only using first a large tote then 5-gallon buckets (food grade with lids that seal. I call that pre cure cuz as you note, the purpose isn’t so much about the rh maintenance but rather the chlorophyll dissipation. Excellent thorough answer, as always, thanks again.

Whoa. This is your 52nd harvest???!!

Wowee! Wonder what the total out of pocket cost of 52 grows is? I’m also wondering - what’s the furthest back of those 52 that you still possess some of? How is that ultra long term cured stuff?

Wowee! Wonder what the total out of pocket cost of 52 grows is? I’m also wondering - what’s the furthest back of those 52 that you still possess some of? How is that ultra long term cured stuff?
One more - what HAVEN’T you done in 52 grows? Hydro? Anything? Lol. But really!

Thank you Captain! My first harvest was summer of 2017 and it's been nonstop ever since.
It does and thanks! I do something similar to the turkey bags you guys love so much (a lot of folks use them it seems), only using first a large tote then 5-gallon buckets (food grade with lids that seal. I call that pre cure cuz as you note, the purpose isn’t so much about the rh maintenance but rather the chlorophyll dissipation. Excellent thorough answer, as always, thanks again.
With big harvests in a short time frame a food grade bucket is an excellent idea!

No idea what the out of pocket costs are but it's mostly nutes, dirt, and some night time electricity. No environmental controls and free sunshine helps a ton with saving money.

I still have the top flower off my first plant (probably not all that tasty after 5 years though). Other than that I do have some three year old bud in jars and no one complains about it. ;)
One more - what HAVEN’T you done in 52 grows? Hydro? Anything? Lol. But really!
LOL! Carrying buckets of water in and out every day doesn't sound like a good idea to me. :cheesygrinsmiley:
52 grows is a lot of time. Wow
52 plants, one continuous grow. :)

Thank you Captain! My first harvest was summer of 2017 and it's been nonstop ever since.

With big harvests in a short timeframe a food grade bucket is an excellent idea!

No idea what the out of pocket costs are but it's mostly nutes, dirt, and some night time electricity. No environmental controls and free sunshine helps a ton with saving money.

I still have the top flower off my first plant (probably not all that tasty after 5 years though). Other than than I do have some three year old bud in jars and no one complains about it. :)

LOL! Carrying buckets of water in and out every day doesn't sound like a good idea to me. :cheesygrinsmiley:

What do you never stop growing.

With big harvests in a short timeframe a food grade bucket is an excellent idea!

I still have the top flower off my first plant (probably not all that tasty after 5 years though). Other than than I do have some three year old bud in jars and no one complains about it. ;)

I love it. One grow, 52 plants. You know stuff. :laugh: Hey so I was thinking about when you broke down my harvest to grams/day. You keep more extensive and thorough records than just about anyone I know. Have you ever broken down the costs for just one plant and figured out how much the $/gram is to grow? That would be very interesting to know.

I love it. One grow, 52 plants. You know stuff. Hey so I was thinking about when you broke down my harvest to grams/day. You keep more extensive and thorough records than just about anyone I know. Have you ever broken down the costs for just one plant and figured out how much the $/gram is to grow? That would be very interesting to know.
I really don't keep extensive records, just harvest date, veg-flower-total days, harvest weight, and grams/day.

Cost is irrelevant to me as it's cheaper than a dispensary and I'm not budgeting for it anyway! Like I said, my grows aren't expensive.

Folks with big electric bills and pricey nutes might want to keep closer tabs on it though to see if there's cost savings they can discover.
Well Happy 52nd ! :happy-birthday: you knew that was coming LOL That is a long grow , i did it for 2 straight years all seasons and there is amount of work thats goes into the pleasure
LOL thanks sb! There is an enormous amount of work involved in growing, but when it gets weighed and put into jars it all seems worthwhile. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom