InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Here’s a review of the 5 killer cookies that a friend of mine named Sue wrote. She’s quite the seasoned cannaisseur.
Thanks for the review Mr Breeder, and one heck of a review that is! :welldone: on that cross.
I was thinking the acidity of the pine in peat moss that's causing a lockout, but I agree it hasn't been very long for the bark to break down. As for the N, with all of my plants I've abused with excess N, I've seen dark green leaves accompany the clawing... however they have all been indoors. I don't know if nitrogen excess could present differently outdoors (without the dark green).
I really can't compare indoors to out but it wouldn't be surprising if the sun puts a different kind of stress on the plant in terms of nutrients. I didn't get dark green but I got clawing across the bottoms of both plants. On the plus side, it never spread upwards and only the Trainwreck experience that yellow brittle thing.
I also get clawing and leaflet chlorosis like that when my plants are rootbound.
Interesting! This plant does need more water daily than the Purple Urkle, so maybe it is on the rootbound side. I've never gotten rootbound plants this quickly in ProMix, but these are my first two in FoxFarms Happy Frog so maybe I'm getting more vigorous root growth without realizing it. :hmmmm:

Thanks for pointing that out!
Congrats on the sprouts!🌱 You must be over the🌛 to have all those little Sour G'ez.
LOL nice emoji work, and thanks Adora! It's a great feeling to know that I've got viable Sour G seeds. I'm sure I'll find a few takers for some as well. :)

Hey Shed,

Your home & garden are beyond Uber neat, a place where crops are honed to perfection. I appreciate your bubble hash demo and steering a newbie like me over to dry ice method. I’d love a chuck of that brown sugar - looks tasty!!!

I know this one Carcass… repairing (welding) a fuel tank- empty the volitales & dry ice is used to evacuate oxygen so no-go boom-boom. Same principle as halon fire system in computer room, where there’s no oxygen - there’s no fire. Also dry ice used for setting pins in heavy equipment cranes and dozers, freeze the pin, shrink the steel, line it up and drive her home with sledgehammer.

pretty confident Mart of Wal stocks dry ice nationwide, idk maybe Canadian Tire does up north?

a few weeks back there was iso spray for clones dealio and I wanted to say something about foliar versus systemic but got distracted. Starting out I foolishly thought ipm just meant a regular schedule of foliar spraying. After numerous critter fests… think the lesson I’m learning now is that sprays are 98% effective treatment but systemic is what captures remaining 2%….

Stay safe & cool out there on west coast

Wednesday update, the one where we say "goodbye" to the Sour G STS seed test plants. Buckle your seat belt if you're squeamish about this, as GDB might be:
I've yet to develop the cold-blooded practitioners ability to just toss a living plant.

Here were the four germination test plants this morning:

Nice roots!

And having completed their assignment...off with their heads:

We'll see how the ones from the pollinated plants do in the coming days.

And here is a pic of the Summer Grow this morning on flip day 8:

Purple Urkle on the right and Trainwreck on the left with the slightly droopy leaves. The bottom is damp but it droops anyway, so I gave it ½ gallon of nutes to keep the top moist.

Also, I sprayed them with neem this morning as they'll be pushing pistils in a couple of days and I wanted to get that in before I stopped neeming.

Thanks for visiting! :peace:

Quotes:
Your home & garden are beyond Uber neat, a place where crops are honed to perfection. I appreciate your bubble hash demo and steering a newbie like me over to dry ice method. I’d love a chuck of that brown sugar - looks tasty!!!
Thanks 013! If you're thinking of making hash I would definitely recommend heading over to your local welding or heavy equipment shop. :)
I know this one Carcass… repairing (welding) a fuel tank- empty the volitales & dry ice is used to evacuate oxygen so no-go boom-boom. Same principle as halon fire system in computer room, where there’s no oxygen - there’s no fire. Also dry ice used for setting pins in heavy equipment cranes and dozers, freeze the pin, shrink the steel, line it up and drive her home with sledgehammer.
pretty confident Mart of Wal stocks dry ice nationwide, idk maybe Canadian Tire does up north?
More possible sources!:thanks:
a few weeks back there was iso spray for clones dealio and I wanted to say something about foliar versus systemic but got distracted. Starting out I foolishly thought ipm just meant a regular schedule of foliar spraying. After numerous critter fests… think the lesson I’m learning now is that sprays are 98% effective treatment but systemic is what captures remaining 2%….
IPM for me just means foliar as I really prefer not to go the systemic route. I'm no organic grower but I would rather my plants only take up what they need to grow rather than adding what they need to fend off pests.

Growing outside I'm content to live with the 2% that might remain after consistent spraying.
Those sour G plants from seed look really good , goes to show the seed is vigorous ! Well done !
Thanks sb! I'm thrilled these came out they way they were supposed to. Next year I'll re-do the Candida and get a mature batch.

I do feel sad seeing the plants killed but needs must. Interesting point, your preference not to go systemic. The big gals look great.

Gas and vapor are the same?
I don't think so.
I remember from many years ago that CO2 is (I think) the only element that can exist in 4 different states.

Vapor vs Gas
A gas refers to a substance that has a single defined thermodynamic state at room temperature whereas a vapor refers to a substance that is a mixture of two phases at room temperature, namely gaseous and liquid phase.

But I could be wrong.

After rereading my post by light of day it sounds all wrong.

What I meant to say was - ITS I’m confident (knowing that you are exceeding diligent) that you perhaps are getting 99.8% of critters with your spray routine, whereas I’m accustomed to much lesser rate of success. I’ve only beaten a few pest invasions.

True that ChefDGreen, vividly recall a certain md saying that pests find the weak & compromised to attack. I started growing in 2020 with soil, bottled nutes and Neem. Then migrated over to living organic soil with nematodes, worms, predator mites, rove beetles and still got my arse handed to me. Now I’m coming full circle with LOS and a plethora of ipm products.

I’d rather avoid chemicals altogether and I’m always down for learning - so don’t be shy.

thanks InTheShed and crew, you ladies & gents rock

Healthy plants that are inhabited by good guy microorganisms don’t need any IPM. The organisms are the IPM.
Are you telling me that healthy plants don't get pests? I don't believe that.
I don't think so.
I remember from many years ago that CO2 is (I think) the only element that can exist in 4 different states.
But I could be wrong.
I never took chemistry!
After rereading my post by light of day it sounds all wrong.
No more nighttime posting for you! :)
What I meant to say was - ITS I’m confident (knowing that you are exceeding diligent) that you perhaps are getting 99.8% of critters with your spray routine, whereas I’m accustomed to much lesser rate of success. I’ve only beaten a few pest invasions.
True that ChefDGreen, vividly recall a certain md saying that pests find the weak & compromised to attack. I started growing in 2020 with soil, bottled nutes and Neem. Then migrated over to living organic soil with nematodes, worms, predator mites, rove beetles and still got my arse handed to me. Now I’m coming full circle with LOS and a plethora of ipm products.
I’d rather avoid chemicals altogether and I’m always down for learning - so don’t be shy.
thanks InTheShed and crew, you ladies & gents rock
Thanks 013! I'm pretty far from exceedingly diligent with IPM, but once I see bugs then I'm pretty consistent. I only use organic pesticides (neem, fatty salts, iso, sometimes castille soap) so I don't worry about what's on the plants. Everything I use will degrade in the sunlight or get washed off at harvest. So I would prefer not to add something to the soil that gets absorbed into the plant (and flowers) to make the bugs go away. If bugs don't want it in their flowers neither do I.

But if you and Chef want to figure out a way to sort out your infestations, you have a forum right here to do it. :ciao:

Properly inoculated plant surfaces cant be affected by pests and molds. They literally cannot even reach the plant surface to begin with. Im not sure I can exactly show my methods in a very specific, detailed way. I paid good money to learn that information and I’d be remiss if I were to cause any distress to that organization and it’s proprietors.

Properly inoculated plant surfaces cant be affected by pests and molds. They literally cannot even reach the plant surface to begin with. Im not sure I can exactly show my methods in a very specific, detailed way. I paid good money to learn that information and I’d be remiss if I were to cause any distress to that organization and it’s proprietors.
I don't think anyone would mind you telling us that you shellac your plants!

But if you can't tell us what you mean, why bring it up to begin with. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I remember reading about healthy plants not having pests. It had to do with a discussion about "Brix" readings. I'm not there, but I don't get many pests. Usually sand flies poke holes here and there, but nothing systemic. I don't have a Brix meter, but I'm happy with production levels. Happy Smokin'

I remember reading about healthy plants not having pests. It had to do with a discussion about "Brix" readings. I'm not there, but I don't get many pests. Usually sand flies poke holes here and there, but nothing systemic. I don't have a Brix meter, but I'm happy with production levels. Happy Smokin'
Brix typically refers to the amount of sugar contained in a substance. A refractometer is used to measure brix in a liquid. Not sure how we could measure sugar or carbohydrate content of plant leaves. Hmm. . .

Healthy plants are much more likely to be able to ward off pests. As example I’m currently growing OG and Jack Herer. The 2 Jack plants have very sticky leaves and show few signs of pests (knock wood). The 5 OG girls have had some mites that I fight off using Neem before flower, and now use Safer. I also spray bt to kill any caterpillars (outdoor grow).

*passes doobie back to Bode*

The brix clan loved to tout their pest resistance, but of course you still had to buy the pest spray from the guy because all the outside brix growers still had pests!
Brix typically refers to the amount of sugar contained in a substance. A refractometer is used to measure brix in a liquid. Not sure how we could measure sugar or carbohydrate content of plant leaves. Hmm. . .
From the interweb: "Juice from a plant's leaf or fruit is extracted using a garlic press or other device. The juice is then measured by the refractometer to determine the plant's Brix."
Healthy plants are much more likely to be able to ward off pests. As example I’m currently growing OG and Jack Herer. The 2 Jack plants have very sticky leaves and show few signs of pests (knock wood). The 5 OG girls have had some mites that I fight off using Neem before flower, and now use Safer. I also spray bt to kill any caterpillars (outdoor grow).
I'm with you Grateful! Healthy plants are more pest resistant, but I don't think pest-free is an option in most environments. Staying on top of it is the best medicine.

Healthy plants are much more likely to be able to ward off pests
I like to think of it the other way around. Plants that are less healthy will catch the bugs first.

They can see color, for instance. They'll be attracted to the yellowing leaves. And weak plants have a softer cuticle on the surfaces - easier to chew through. Healthy plants don't taste as good either - too much sugar in the sap.

I read an anecdote once. A couple produce farmers were in their fields. One field had the soil prepared for high brix and thriving soil biota. The other was a normal field. At the boundary, they they grabbed up a bunch of grasshoppers and dumped them on the high brix side. Within minutes, they were hopping back to the normal field.

As long as you have weaker plants nearby, it seems that the pests will leave the healthier ones alone until they use them up.

:Namaste:

Thank you ITS, and Graytail. It was a few years ago all that was big. About the time microbes became a big deal. Happy Smokin'

I don't think anyone would mind you telling us that you shellac your plants!

But if you can't tell us what you mean, why bring it up to begin with. :cheesygrinsmiley:
thats right, shellac my plants in aerobic bacteria and fungi! I can tell y’all what I mean.. I just can’t give detailed instructions on how to accomplish it ;)

I like to think of it the other way around. Plants that are less healthy will catch the bugs first.

They can see color, for instance. They'll be attracted to the yellowing leaves. And weak plants have a softer cuticle on the surfaces - easier to chew through. Healthy plants don't taste as good either - too much sugar in the sap.

I read an anecdote once. A couple produce farmers were in their fields. One field had the soil prepared for high brix and thriving soil biota. The other was a normal field. At the boundary, they they grabbed up a bunch of grasshoppers and dumped them on the high brix side. Within minutes, they were hopping back to the normal field.

As long as you have weaker plants nearby, it seems that the pests will leave the healthier ones alone until they use them up.

:Namaste:
That’s not the whole story either! You can have conventional agricultural practices that produce seemingly healthy plants. They’re still susceptible to pest infestation because they don’t have the protective microbial layer outcompeting the potential pests!

Back
Top Bottom