In The Lab

Hey Doc, if i get a new kit would i have to do anything special to my remaining soil or just let er rip as is?
Thank you sir :)

Here you go bro

I'm happy with two runs on mine right now, because although it's more expensive for me this way, it's a time saver. I take soil that's been used exactly once, amend it with slightly less amendment than a first time amendment, add some worm castings and leaf scraps, some Roots and let it re-cook.

Hey Doc, if i get a new kit would i have to do anything special to my remaining soil or just let er rip as is?
Thank you sir :)

If I understand you correctly, you added the recharge at the right time and completed your first grow, so your soil is now second run soil, correct?

Chop it up pretty good, get out the thick stem but leave the roots. Add some weed trimmings if you have them. Add 20 to 30 pounds of worm castings and let it rest in a barrel for a month. If you add a lot of green mulch, it's helpful to add 1/2 cup Roots per 2 gallons of soil. I can provide this in bulk.

When you get your second kit, use the Re-charge as per normal.

I'll provide a different amendment for the 3rd run.

Here's another tip: If you seem to have a great deal less soil the second time around compared to the first---like I do--- and you want to add in some fresh Promix, go right ahead, but in this case you'll want to add some amendment. Let me know what applies in your situation and we'll sort it out for you!

If you know you're going to be growing HB for the foreseeable future, we should probably get you pints and quarts of stuff.

Hey Tav....I toss my soil out after two runs, so it's a bit different. If I was trying to stretch it I wouldn't add as much amendment. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but the salts do build up.

Great to know doc, thanks. Still trying to figure out how I can incorporate some Bonemeal or guano and still recycle. I might just do it and see what happens. Going to go small. 1/8 cup bottom 1/3 of pot. Separate recycle bin for those plants. Try and recycle after for another OG run. Any thoughts?

On a side note I have 2 daydream haze, a blue dream cross by rare dankness in flower, and man they look amazing. I'd have to say that they are happier and frostier than anything I've grown so far. Very excited. Not sure what has changed. Maybe better genetics. Maybe better understanding of the products. Maybe better watering techniques. Possibly pot size, I've been transplanting into a two gallon and letting that get filled up before going to 7g for flower. I have lots of thoughts and questions on pot size.

Great to know doc, thanks. Still trying to figure out how I can incorporate some Bonemeal or guano and still recycle. I might just do it and see what happens. Going to go small. 1/8 cup bottom 1/3 of pot. Separate recycle bin for those plants. Try and recycle after for another OG run. Any thoughts?

On a side note I have 2 daydream haze, a blue dream cross by rare dankness in flower, and man they look amazing. I'd have to say that they are happier and frostier than anything I've grown so far. Very excited. Not sure what has changed. Maybe better genetics. Maybe better understanding of the products. Maybe better watering techniques. Possibly pot size, I've been transplanting into a two gallon and letting that get filled up before going to 7g for flower. I have lots of thoughts and questions on pot size.

It could be as simple as you're growing a strain that likes High Brix.....plus everything else you mentioned.

By all means experiment adding this and that! Let us know how it all turns out. My last run of Tahoe OG produced over 6 ounces per plant and that was with the bone meal. The guano buds were more delicate and had a more floral aroma...these were huge, knobby gummy things and had more classic OG smell.

The downside is that the bugs start to gain control. So, be careful but have at it!

I want to give some frass a try one of these times.

If I understand you correctly, you added the recharge at the right time and completed your first grow, so your soil is now second run soil, correct?

Chop it up pretty good, get out the thick stem but leave the roots. Add some weed trimmings if you have them. Add 20 to 30 pounds of worm castings and let it rest in a barrel for a month. If you add a lot of green mulch, it's helpful to add 1/2 cup Roots per 2 gallons of soil. I can provide this in bulk.

When you get your second kit, use the Re-charge as per normal.

I'll provide a different amendment for the 3rd run.

Here's another tip: If you seem to have a great deal less soil the second time around compared to the first---like I do--- and you want to add in some fresh Promix, go right ahead, but in this case you'll want to add some amendment. Let me know what applies in your situation and we'll sort it out for you!

If you know you're going to be growing HB for the foreseeable future, we should probably get you pints and quarts of stuff.
I made a half batch last time so i have 2nd run and still have half of the promix and castings. I already added the remains into my bins with some roots and water and mixed thoroughly. This run ill be using 15gal smarties to finish. The old lady wants to do some veggies and various flowerß outside and i have several different herbs going so ill end up having to get more promix and wiggle worm. And yes, for the forseeable future its gonna be ALL high brix Doc! Is there any other way?!? :)
Hope that kinda makes sense lol

I made a half batch last time so i have 2nd run and still have half of the promix and castings. I already added the remains into my bins with some roots and water and mixed thoroughly. This run ill be using 15gal smarties to finish. The old lady wants to do some veggies and various flowerß outside and i have several different herbs going so ill end up having to get more promix and wiggle worm. And yes, for the forseeable future its gonna be ALL high brix Doc! Is there any other way?!? :)
Hope that kinda makes sense lol

You'll be fine doing what I described above. Do you have pictures of your harvest?

It could be as simple as you're growing a strain that likes High Brix.....plus everything else you mentioned.

By all means experiment adding this and that! Let us know how it all turns out. My last run of Tahoe OG produced over 6 ounces per plant and that was with the bone meal. The guano buds were more delicate and had a more floral aroma...these were huge, knobby gummy things and had more classic OG smell.

The downside is that the bugs start to gain control. So, be careful but have at it!

I want to give some frass a try one of these times.

Wow doc just did a little frass research and it looks like it wouldn't hurt to try it out! Mix throughout right before potting in final flowering pot?

Here is a description for some organic frass. I'm going to order and try this once I find a keeper to run a whole tent of. That way I can try regular high brix with and without frass and bonemeal/guano, also with and without frass. Epic. very very excited. Might have to do with the high brix blue hammer I just smoked.

For best results use de-chlorinated water. TRANSPLANTING - Add a pinch of Frass and Mycorrhizae under roots. PRE-MIX - Add 1 Cup per Cubic Foot (7 gallons) of Soil/Media Blend prior to planting (less than 1% by volume) which lasts until end of Week 3. Top Dress or Root Drench weekly, beginning Week 4 HYDRO - Top Dress any Grow Media (Rockwool, Coco, Hydroton) Add 2 Cups per 30 Gallons water (strain for drip systems) Add directly to reservoir for Ebb & Flow or Flood to Drain systems TOP DRESS - Sprinkle over root zone and water in thoroughly ROOT DRENCH - Add 1 Tbsp up to ½ Cup Frass per Gallon water FOLIAR FEED - Add 1 Tbsp per Gallon water (1 Tsp per Quart), shake and let sit for 30 minutes, then apply. It's not 100% soluble so strain. COMPOST TEA - Add 1 Cup per 15 Gallons of Tea (1 Tbsp per/gal) to achieve Fungal Dominance KILL FUNGUS GNATS - Lightly sprinkle Frass over entire Root Zone + Add ½ Cup per Gallon water, shake and let sit for 30 minutes, apply as Root Drench BENEFITS: NUTRIENTS - Organic P-K Boost, with No Nitrates - Organic Nitrogen improves nutrient uptake. BENEFICIAL MICRO-ORGANISMS (bacteria, fungi and protozoa) - Every Beneficial Bacteria group available - Highest amounts of Protozoa (Amoebae) available INSECT CHITIN - Chitin stimulates the plant's auto-immune system - Induces plant to create Chitinase Enzyme which protects plants from Pests and Pathogens (PM, Botrytis, Stem Rot) - Causes plant to create secondary metabolites aka "exudates" (Terpenes, Flavinoids, Alkaloids and Amino Acids) - The Best Fungal Food for Compost Teas - Works wonders with Mycorrhizae (Fungi 90% chitin) - Prevents/Kills Root Rot (fungal pathogens in the rhizosphere) - Kills Root-Feeding Nematodes and their eggs ACCELERATE MATURITY - When using Frass from start to finish - Outdoors Finish 10 -17 days Early - Indoors Finish 4 - 7 days Early

Hey Tav....I toss my soil out after two runs, so it's a bit different. If I was trying to stretch it I wouldn't add as much amendment. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but the salts do build up.

Since I did use the full pack of amendment, should I back off on the recharge? Also, you mention salt buildup..will an OG prosper? I'm quickly learning that many times less is more...unless it's not, like in the case of OG or other salt lovers.....

The guano buds were more delicate and had a more floral aroma...these were huge, knobby gummy things and had more classic OG smell.

Doc is guano the missing ingredient for my mineralized grows, and all my others for that matter?

My grows and buds are fantastic, but as far as smell and taste I think they are all sub par.

Of course my HB grow was among the best tasting where you could actually tell the difference in the strains.
For the most part all my strains taste similar in a grow, no matter what I have used.

I flush, I wash, but I'm still disappointed.

It all tastes good and sort of smooth, but flat if you know what I mean.

If you think guano would help, any recommendations on a kind, or #-#-#'s to look for?

Doc is guano the missing ingredient for my mineralized grows, and all my others for that matter?

My grows and buds are fantastic, but as far as smell and taste I think they are all sub par.

Of course my HB grow was among the best tasting where you could actually tell the difference in the strains.
For the most part all my strains taste similar in a grow, no matter what I have used.

I flush, I wash, but I'm still disappointed.

It all tastes good and sort of smooth, but flat if you know what I mean.

If you think guano would help, any recommendations on a kind, or #-#-#'s to look for?

I think you should try the kit again---I sent you a replacement kit---and be done with all the guesswork.

Doc, have you tried a technique called bud backbuilding? Light Addict here on 420, has a thread on it...very interesting..LA's Quick Guide To Simple Backbuilding Technique For Buds!
Essentially its clipping the very tops of the tips of the bud 2/3s into flowering period.. Bulks up the buds very very nicely..

Hello, Doc and High Brix family, I am in need of a little help. Although I am not new to growing, I am somewhat new to High Brix growing with the kit. This is my third grow using the kit and I have run into a problem that has stumped me. Would it be okay if I posted a couple of pics and got some feed back from some experienced kit growers eyes in diagnosing my situation. My babies are almost two weeks old. A little history, rh is holding steady between 58.7% and 60%, temperature holds between 78 and 80 with lights on, and 71 and 72 when lights off. I have been running LEDS for the last couple of years a little over 900 true watts, and ppm holding at about 1000. My last two grows have been pretty stellar in my book, nothing compared to some of the guys here, but working on it. The only thing done differently with the previous grows was I opted not to use worm castings, and this time I did, I also switched strains as well just trying to expand and try something new. Plants are very droopy, the only thing I have given them is water and a little energy and tea. I don't want to impose on your thread by just posting pics without asking. I have no problem culling and starting over if they cant be salvaged just looking for honest opinions, and feed back. If I get the okay I will post the pics shortly. I Thank all of you guys especially Doc for opening my eyes to a better way of growing, and being great mentors. Sorry for the long post.

Back
Top Bottom