Herbies Desserts to Sweeten Your Day @ Otters

Thanks for thinking of me Otter! I'm not sure I want to head down the Brix road, but I am interested how the Beauveria bassiana is working for you. You are using is strictly in the soil yes (not spraying), is that correct?
Cool.
No, I started once a little late by maybe 3 weeks in the soil. I wasn't directed to use it again, maybe I should have? Never thought of it after reading on it at build a soil. When I heard they had a foliar and it went on every 4 weeks I went in on that too and used it exclusively until now. So far once in soil and twice foliar. One more time if I dare! I think it's no more biologic than bt or anything else we're using? If I can drench it in and give the plant inoculation I'll be happier.
I found one tiny caterpillar pillaring a bud and killed it myself and haven't seen anything else on my twice daily checks. It's early. 4 more weeks will tell us something.
Mornin' Stone😊👊☕
I'm glad your liking Rabenberg. He's a smart guy. If you're going the organic route you may as well make higher brix your goal. Smoking bug spray can't be very good for you.

He's got lots of good solid info on how to achieve it, plus he is a wizard on the subject of calcium, which is paramount to both brix and LOS.

Hey Gee good afternoon!
I'm liking him a lot Gee! He's just easy to hear.

No, I started once a little late by maybe 3 weeks in the soil. I wasn't directed to use it again, maybe I should have? Never thought of it after reading on it at build a soil. When I heard they had a foliar and it went on every 4 weeks I went in on that too and used it exclusively until now. So far once in soil and twice foliar. One more time if I dare! I think it's no more biologic than bt or anything else we're using? If I can drench it in and give the plant inoculation I'll be happier.
I found one tiny caterpillar pillaring a bud and killed it myself and haven't seen anything else on my twice daily checks. It's early. 4 more weeks will tell us something.
If the pests are all over your tomatoes and leaving the cannabis trees alone, that's already a good result. From the studies I can find it seems that for PM it's used as a foliar spray rather than a systemic.

If the pests are all over your tomatoes and leaving the cannabis trees alone, that's already a good result. From the studies I can find it seems that for PM it's used as a foliar spray rather than a systemic.
I've left my tomatoes to fend for themselves. None of the micro mushrooms are in or on them but for some overspray likely. They seem to not have a bug on them. Rabbits and groundhogs and deer have been in for a taste but very little bugs that I've noticed. Again, right now vision isn't my strong suit and won't be for a few months when I get the cat out, but I think I'm good nuf.

I didn't catch that PM is a major plus for it. That's perfect for all of us!

Folks at build a soil are generally informed however this time I was confused about mixing and application rate so I contacted them. They came back with every 4 weeks for foliar. I wasn't full of confidence after the conversation but it seems to be working. I was also talking to a hydro shop guy that carried it. He was happy to hear I was using it because I was the first he heard to use it locally. It appears fairly new? We may have to figure it out. I have several leaf chews, and no catastrophic bug issues with 6 weeks left in the season and 1 more spray. So yes already a good result!

Folks at build a soil are generally informed however this time I was confused about mixing and application rate so I contacted them. They came back with every 4 weeks for foliar. I wasn't full of confidence after the conversation but it seems to be working. I was also talking to a hydro shop guy that carried it. He was happy to hear I was using it because I was the first he heard to use it locally. It appears fairly new? We may have to figure it out. I have several leaf chews, and no catastrophic bug issues with 6 weeks left in the season and 1 more spray. So yes already a good result!
:thanks: Otter, and I may give it a go both in the soil and as a spray next summer to see if it will keep the aphids and thrips away. Though this year the PGC seems pretty bug-free even though it touches the CapJunky all night, which has had a bit of an aphid problem almost the entire time.

:thanks: Otter, and I may give it a go both in the soil and as a spray next summer to see if it will keep the aphids and thrips away. Though this year the PGC seems pretty bug-free even though it touches the CapJunky all night, which has had a bit of an aphid problem almost the entire time.
I don't know if this will sway your opinion and trial plans, but Gee did some reading about BB and whilst the foliar will not make adult bees sick, the adult bees bring the spores or whatever back to the hive where it kills the larvae. There is evidence to support treating the soil with BB but we need to be cautious with foliar I believe.

I don't know if this will sway your opinion and trial plans, but Gee did some reading about BB and whilst the foliar will not make adult bees sick, the adult bees bring the spores or whatever back to the hive where it kills the larvae. There is evidence to support treating the soil with BB but we need to be cautious with foliar I believe.
Oh thanks Carmen (and Gee), because I have a lot of bees in my garden (my lavender brings all the bees to the yard...) and some invariably land on my canna-flowers in search of non-existent pollen. I certainly don't want to mess with their homes.

From what I read, only foliar spraying has an effect on PM, so for that I will need to keep the canola oil handy in flower. Still, not having to spray for pests is a good thing!

I was worried a little for bees but it's not like you and I are using it on fields, or I don't know that it's really is a problem at all. I'm not going to jar nature by using it on my two plants once a year. I could be wrong. Edit: after reading Carmen's note I really would like to know if a bee needs to get it on itself before it dries to be deadly to the small ones.
It can be a small window of time and acceptable to me for it to dry and be ok. That's kind of how it works from the roots so...?:)
What magic does PGC possess to keep her relatively bug free?
I wonder if bees need to touch it when it's still wet to make it deadly to the littles? I'm off to look.

Here's what I found. I' think bees need to get sprayed with the stuff and bring it home to be a bother and I'll deal with that by doing it at dusk. I think this is working!

And another similar story.
That's not how I read it:
"applications to areas where bees are actively foraging should be avoided"
and
"although it is recommended to avoid spraying directly in areas where bees are actively foraging. If bees are contacted directly, they can bring fungal spores back to the hive and infect the susceptible brood."

It's unclear what "contacted directly" means since any contact with the spores (post spraying) it what infects the insect. I read it as not to use it all all where bees might look for pollen.

Of course, there is a company that sells is stating it's okay for bees:

But from the NIH:
comes this:
"Our study demonstrated that the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassiana, used as natural biocide in pest crop control, affects nestmate recognition in honeybees."

I would just use it as a soil drench if I used it rather than chance it.

That's not how I read it:
"applications to areas where bees are actively foraging should be avoided"
and
"although it is recommended to avoid spraying directly in areas where bees are actively foraging. If bees are contacted directly, they can bring fungal spores back to the hive and infect the susceptible brood."

It's unclear what "contacted directly" means since any contact with the spores (post spraying) it what infects the insect. I read it as not to use it all all where bees might look for pollen.

Of course, there is a company that sells is stating it's okay for bees:

But from the NIH:
comes this:
"Our study demonstrated that the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassiana, used as natural biocide in pest crop control, affects nestmate recognition in honeybees."

I would just use it as a soil drench if I used it rather than chance it.
I see the unclear part now. It's always something! I have to decide for next season. Bees aren't a huge force back there though there's whatever should bee. Right now there's a swarm of tiny ones on my oregano up on the deck. They have no interest in weed. Mostly moths.

Here's what I found. I' think bees need to get sprayed with the stuff and bring it home to be a bother and I'll deal with that by doing it at dusk. I think this is working!

And another similar story.

These products are generally non-toxic to beneficial insects, however, applications to areas where bees are actively foraging should be avoided. Beauveria products should not be applied to water, as they are potentially toxic to fish.

followed by:

This downy mold produces millions of new infective spores that are released to the environment.

And the original article I read stated that the spores were harmless to bees but they got carried to the hive where they are toxic to the larvae, so I would only use it as a soil drench, but why not just raise brix instead? High brix is a much healthier plant than a bug infested one that needs to be sprayed. I wouldn't want to smoke this stuff myself.

The article I read did comparisons to prove that not only did soil application work, it enhanced myco's ability, and the plants with myco and beauvaria in the soil out performed beauvaria only and myco only grows. It was on lettuce, but a vegetable is a vegetable for the most part, and cannabis is a vegetable.

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE

Had a great week here with a gift from Texas! Man Buc-ees is the best! Those nuggets and patties are a treat! I can't wait to wet the genetics too! I'm Mota-Vated!

IMG_1482.jpeg

These products are generally non-toxic to beneficial insects, however, applications to areas where bees are actively foraging should be avoided. Beauveria products should not be applied to water, as they are potentially toxic to fish.

followed by:

This downy mold produces millions of new infective spores that are released to the environment.

And the original article I read stated that the spores were harmless to bees but they got carried to the hive where they are toxic to the larvae, so I would only use it as a soil drench, but why not just raise brix instead? High brix is a much healthier plant than a bug infested one that needs to be sprayed. I wouldn't want to smoke this stuff myself.

The article I read did comparisons to prove that not only did soil application work, it enhanced myco's ability, and the plants with myco and beauvaria in the soil out performed beauvaria only and myco only grows. It was on lettuce, but a vegetable is a vegetable for the most part, and cannabis is a vegetable.
Good Sunday morning Gee!
Your final suggestion is my goal next season. I've never done anything to this soil to amend it so this season end I have to find the energy to do what it needs for next! I can't go full Rev soil as my water is 500 to 600 ppm so I'll have to get some what? Coco for carbon, What's best for P?, and some calcium in there to cook. What am I missing? Perlite!
I don't really want to smoke it either.
Maybe last time is the last time and buds will be free of it.

Bone meal and seabird or flower sipping bat Guanos if you're going the conventional route, most likely. I'm trying dried flower crumbles and bone meal in my more Jadam type inputs.
I have a bucket of bone meal, A box of seabird and bat so I should be good to go Azi! Thanks! Working on the energy part!

I have a bucket of bone meal, A box of seabird and bat so I should be good to go Azi! Thanks! Working on the energy part!
And Gee will tell you it has to be well mixed in because it isn't very mobile in the soil, so mixed in while you cook your soil and/or in teas which spread the microbes all throughout. Blah, blah, blah...

Lol. JK. Gee's had to repeat himself to me on this stuff so often that I might actually be beginning to grasp it. :laughtwo:

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE

Had a great week here with a gift from Texas! Man Buc-ees is the best! Those nuggets and patties are a treat! I can't wait to wet the genetics too! I'm Mota-Vated!

IMG_1482.jpeg
Excited to see them beans grow!
:passitleft:

SUNDAY MORNING UPDATE

Hi everyone, we had rain last night and it's half sunny today. Not a bad day for growing at all! :passitleft:I've been busy on my daily meanderings as I check for bugs and deficiencies and whatnot. Today was bring your heavy clippers to garden day and I really got in and trimmed inside where light doesn't get in. Noe that buds are developing I can see who's who and snippily doo da!

Todays nipping.

Buds are coming on. Flowering from 8-15 so today's the 1st, so two weeks! Feels like two months on the rollercoaster!

:)

Who's on first?

Big Apple Betty, a real gem from @Herbies Seeds !

Betty's retaining almost all of her most inner leaves but for on the main trunk. They started to go from the bottom up last weekish. She's 10 or 11 feet tall and holding some bud! Tons I think!

Betty has a bend and needed a second line attached so she didn't continue to sink her top down into her mid section.

Her yard mate Runtz Muffin from @Barney's Farm is firing off some fabulously frosty buds! She's 9 or 10 feet tall and holding more bud every day. I've been trimming her well too and see lots of really fine future bud with any luck!
She smells like sweet dankness and it's spreading through the yard! :headbanger:soon the neighborhood will be mine! hahahaha!

Muffy

Muffy grows an odd reverse leaf that in this pic below looks yellow maybe. It's the underside of those leaves. First one to do that for me. Upsidedown leaves, whoda thunk?

I wish a sweet and happy Sunday to you all!

Back
Top Bottom