Herbie's Beans - Black Widow And Super Skunk

Soil carbon is amazingly complex
Building up soil carbon can help cut greenhouse gas concentrations in the air. It also improves soil quality in many ways: It gives soil structure, stores water and nutrients that plants need and feeds vital soil organisms.

But carbon in soil doesn’t exist on its own. It is combined with oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen and other elements, in compounds that scientists collectively call soil organic matter. This material is amazingly complex stuff, made of thousands of different chemical compounds that remain from the decomposition and transformation of plants, animals and microorganisms.

Adding to this complexity, carbon can be found in different physical states within soil. It can be dissolved in water, present as larger chunks or “particulates,” enveloped by soil particles or bonded to minerals. These various forms all behave differently, and ultimately have very different impacts on plant growth, soil structure and carbon sequestration.

The challenge is how to conceptually divide up all of these different forms without getting completely lost in the muck. The soil science community – yes, we are out there! – has been studying this question for decades. As we discuss in a recent study, one key distinction can provide an underlying framework for soil carbon management: particulate organic matter versus mineral-associated organic matter.

file-20200205-149789-ahxxv8.png

Like money in the bank
Particulate organic matter is the stuff you generally can see. It contains partially decomposed organic fragments, such as tiny bits of leaves or roots. Mineral-associated organic matter consists mostly of microscopic coatings on soil particles, derived mainly from the bodies and byproducts of microorganisms and certain plant compounds.

One key difference between the two is that mineral-associated organic matter is stuck to soil particles, so it tends to stay there for a long time. Particulate organic matter, on the other hand, is freely available to microorganisms, so it gets broken down much faster. It’s also more vulnerable to agricultural practices like tillage that disturb the soil.

A second key difference is their nutrient contents. Remember that organic matter contains not just carbon but lots of other elements, including nitrogen, a natural fertilizer that plants need to thrive.

Mineral-associated organic matter contains more nitrogen per unit of carbon than particulate organic matter, but because mineral-associated organic matter is less available and cycles more slowly, that nitrogen isn’t all usable. Particulate organic matter, meanwhile, contains less nitrogen relatively speaking, but that nitrogen is more readily available

It helps to think about these two types of soil carbon like a checking and a savings account. Particulate organic matter is the checking account: It receives money every payday, but gets spent pretty quickly to cover everyday expenses. Mineral-associated organic matter is the savings account. It usually receives less money from each paycheck, but that money isn’t spent as quickly.

When humans face a big unexpected expense, they typically will drain their checking accounts and may also dip into their savings accounts. If this happens over and over, eventually both accounts go broke.

This is exactly what happens when an ecosystem loses lots of soil carbon – for example, when a meadow is plowed and converted to crop fields. Plowing causes faster carbon breakdown, so the existing particulate organic matter is lost rapidly. Mineral-associated organic matter is often the only thing left to help sustain soil life and plant growth.

To make matters worse, annual crops tend to have tiny roots that do not add much carbon into the soil; put another way, they have very low paychecks. This means that particulate organic matter and mineral-associated organic matter aren’t replenished and continue to decline. Without a boost of “cash,” in the form of more decomposing plant matter, soils will go broke and become less healthy and productive.

The latest victims to go outside 3 Fat Bastards (@Grand Daddy Black ) I read your review on the Fat Bastard it didn't sound very intriguing so I stuck my mother's outside, 2 LSD, and 2 Jack Herar.
DAMN IT !!!! I was only gonna do 3 or 4 outside I have no idea how I ended up with 20 out there! 🤔😀🤣🤣

IMG20240717054419.jpg

IMG20240717054435.jpg

The latest victims to go outside 3 Fat Bastards (@Grand Daddy Black ) I read your review on the Fat Bastard it didn't sound very intriguing so I stuck my mother's outside, 2 LSD, and 2 Jack Herar.
DAMN IT !!!! I was only gonna do 3 or 4 outside I have no idea how I ended up with 20 out there! 🤔😀🤣🤣

IMG20240717054419.jpg

IMG20240717054435.jpg
SOG, you must have seen my report on an early tester of the Fat Bastard. The full smoke report is HERE.

FB is a pretty decent strain! And, I think it's much better now than when I wrote that report back in January. Then it had been bagged for only 30 days. But given more time to cure, its quality got even better. These days it's one of my current top 3, along with Sour G and Crescendo!

I don't think you'll be upset about doing 3 of them! :Rasta:

SOG, you must have seen my report on an early tester of the Fat Bastard. The full smoke report is HERE.

FB is a pretty decent strain! And, I think it's much better now than when I wrote that report back in January. Then it had been bagged for only 30 days. But given more time to cure, its quality got even better. These days it's one of my current top 3, along with Sour G and Crescendo!

I don't think you'll be upset about doing 3 of them! Ok cool thanks for the update maybe I'll keep a mother 👍✌️

Another day of maintenance, Hair Doo day! See the damage on those stems from the storm's and its still damp that will turn into Bud rot for sure, that's one reason why i trim them up so much and dont have all the Sugars to restrict airflow ✌️ purple Chem, super Skunk, and Jack Herar @Grand Daddy Black the Jack Herar strain is one of my favs along with chem dawg #4 and the Sour Diesel
I had one years ago that shit, the sugar leaves was better than some bud ppl had around and it grew like nobody's business! I kept that mother for 10 years and budded it once inside harvested and then put it outside in the spring and budded it again it was MASSIVE not tall but FAT When it was outside ,it was a northern light but I don't think the strain they have of the northern light is the same is what i had its changed along the way

IMG20240717083741.jpg

IMG20240717083656.jpg

IMG20240717083804.jpg

IMG20240717083735.jpg

IMG20240717083701.jpg

I'm putting the last 6 outside and transplanting today. I did an experiment to see the difference between just adding compost and biochar to the veggie mix and nothing else compared to the addition of the recipe I used when i did the transplant for the Big ones and if you noticed the Fat Bastard's which is what's in the photos has streaks of purple and DARK GREEN leaves its HUNGRY and Root bound so @ transplant I added my usual mix of Fish meal,bone meal, potassium sulfate, gypsum,+ some Kis mix all in moderation of course and adjusted ph Good to go!

IMG20240718071847.jpg

IMG20240718071759.jpg

IMG20240718071739.jpg

IMG20240718072004.jpg

IMG20240718071944.jpg

IMG20240718071751.jpg

IMG20240718071730.jpg

Soil temp 66f/67f SWEET! Wish it would stay @ that i suppose if i buried the container's they would but i can't grow in the ground Around here, to much fill I already tried it and the plants didn't turn out so well even with compost and amendment and fertilizer! It would take a few years to amend the crappy soil around here! No wonder everyone has to pay the service to keep their grass growing they kill all the clover and bag their leaves and put it to the curb! Me, I mulch everything and leave it for the crawlers +I plant clover😀 my neighbor's hate me but you know what FUCK EM they need just to "Stay in their own lane!". 😯😁🤣🤣

Am I seeing 17 plants, SOG? 📅

Back
Top Bottom