2. Midges
  3. Butterflies
  4. Moths
  5. Bees
  6. Flies
  7. Gnats
  8. mayflies
  9. Other dragonflies
Dragonflies are totally carnivorous, this means that they eat meat and only meat. Since they are so small, they tend to eat other insects that are smaller than them or that they can easily catch. They tend to go for other flying insects as they are also airborne most of the time. Dragonflies are notorious hunters and will eat up to their own body weight in other insects through the course of a day.

Dragonfly larvae are just as big of eaters as their parents. A dragonfly larva will hunt out and eat other larvae that are in the water with then until they are able to take flight and catch other flying insects. Dragonfly larvae hunt and eat beetles, mosquito larvae, worms, tadpoles, and even worms. In some cases, for very large larvae of larger species, they will even eat very small fish.

The jaw of a dragonfly larva is very flexible and has hooks on it that help to catch the food as it passes. They lay in wait and as their prey swims or floats past, the lower jaw shoots out and catches the prey, and draws it back into the mouth. For adult dragonflies, the hunt is a bit simpler. They fly and open their mouths to consume their prey mid-flight. If they have a larger prey, they might use their legs to help hold it while they bite chunks.

Dragonflies are equal opportunity when it comes to hunting. They will literally hunt and eat anything that they can find and anything that is not larger than them. They tend to stalk their prey before they eat it and do eat all day, multiple times a day. They will eat whenever and wherever they can.

Lacewings (Chrysopecula carnea)

Chrysoperla carnea, also known as the red-lipped green lacewing, is an insect of the Chrysopidae family . The delicate lacewing adults feed on nectar, pollen and honeydew while their larvae are the active predators. The first three larvae instars, are the voracious ones.

The larvae of the BioLacewing primarily target aphids (indiscriminate of species). Secondary targets include whiteflies, mealybugs, thrips, spider mites and other soft bodied pests.

Use egg cards for small or early season infestations and larvae to combat a more severe infestation. The larvae can be cannibalistic and should be applied as early as possible. Lacewings are supplied as larvae, eggs or egg cats, which can be hung on infested plants.

Green lacewing this is one reason i don't use neem oil or surfactants for bug control

IMG20240710124006.jpg

IMG20240710124009.jpg
I took that picture this morning of the lacewing in-between the rain,we have a lot of them around i see they like to hang out in the mint we have planted around the the house we keep kinda an all natural yard but kept i planted Alot of clover and wildflowers around the border of the house we have alot of beneficial insects around that is why i prefer not to spray,as little as possible but i do use karanja oil and soap for the Japanese beetles,I killed alot this year 60 or 70 if not 100,it gets bad in July ,they are a problem but getting less every Year as i spray i think the only way to get rid of those is with Milky spore in the ground!😎✌️

Glad you were able to spot it! Good eye buddy!! Happy Monday!! 😎✌️

Its been a humid ,wet summer so far perfect environment for rot and pm and so far the pm has stayed away for the most part with the 50/50 spray and the above pic was on a lower branch i might have missed that one with the sprayer there are a lot of branches out there and All in all my plants are doing WELL!
This time last year i was having a hard time keeping the ickies away but this Year is better A LOT better with the 50/50 mix of cease and Milstop 1 oz cease with 1Tbs Milstop in a gallon sprayer, when using a sprayer make sure you take the filter off the intake hose if spraying organics or teas the filter will catch all the goodies and not put them on the plant ✌️

Back
Top Bottom