Greenthumb J's BCNL Producer Grow - 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" Grow. 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

>>>my plan is to build a small room that is going to sit in my supposed living room which should actually be the dining room area (not even remotely disturbing my current living room actually)

Ah, the life of a bachelor.

>>>about 8.5 feet tall and approximately 5-6 feet wide (so i dont have to crawl under a plant to get to the other) and approximately 8 feet long.

:thumb:

>>>My goal is to flower TWO plants at a time in here.
>>>My idea is giving each plant almost a 4'x4' space to grow in.
>>>Each plant will grow in a scrog.
>>>Scrog will allow plant to grow vertically as it stretches in flower, as there will lots of head space, but keep the canopy as even as possible
>>>Each plant will be topped as needed to fill the scrog which will be about 4'x4'

>>>Thinking 2 reflector hoods w/ 600w MH for a further veg (i'm thinking close to a 4+ month total veg time possibly) before switching to 600w HPS for flower.

I would start flower ASAP on these two. As they stand now, they will completely fill a 4x4 scrog and produce a pound each. Vegging them longer won't significantly increase yield because you won't have enough space or light to light up a bigger plant.

>>>The box will take in cool air directly from my 11th floor apartment window.
>>>Oscillating stand up fan will be used to create constant airflow and keep canopy temp as low as possible
>>>It will vent it out a different window, complete with large CF for odour control, 8 feet to the right.

>>>Not going to do LED i dont think as I am too new to bother different lights and all that shit. Stick to the basics for now before i get into the super high tech gear.

LED is not super high tech. The spectrum is narrow and the intensity is nothing like your HPS. Keep the big bulbs burning, my friend.

>>>I plan to flower out my 2 mothers i have at the moment in the new box. By the time the box is ready, they probably will be pushing 5+ months of veg. I will do the Widow first cause she doesn't take as long, and i want to veg out the Malawi for a total of around 5.5-6 months, cause she will bring one hell of a yield.

If it were me, as soon as you get the new room done, I would put these two in flower, each under the 4x4 screen.

>>>when we plan my CapnStyle grow

Are these two plants in DWC now? I would get them in some coco or rockwool grow cubes. You can't afford to risk these monsters.

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" Grow. 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

>>>> Ah, the life of a bachelor.

Definitely not a bachelor my friend. The GF gives me 100% support on this project. we just need to wait till we get back from Vegas. I leave next monday, and i will be back the monday afterwards, then you and i can discuss transplanting my plants out of the net pots and into grow cubes.

As soon as i get back I am starting to draw up some plans for the box. I will PM you some photos of it as it comes along. I came up with these dimensions based on the huge amount of space that i have next to my living room, and how spaced apart my windows are. My problem would be the windows face south and the box would almost sit directly in the sunlight, so air cooling the box is imperative. Direct air from outside will definitely be cooler for the box as i constantly get nice breezes being 11 stories up.

By the time i get back and get the box finished, the plants will have vegged for close to 5 months. 4.5ish to be exact. They will go into flower as soon as temps and fans and all that are sorted out and dialed in. I agree, these plants will pull in a LB each.. the sativa i think will do a little more.

Yes the mothers are in DWC.. 3.5" net pots sitting in 3" rockwool cubes in 1" starter cubes.. run me thru how to get the roots out of the net pot and into some croutons?

I would definitely recommend a blue cheese seed. Very strong strain, personal favorite of mine. Most blue strains I tend to be partial towards. Kush strains are great.

I actually have 4 strains in mind

Barneys Farm - Pineapple Chunk(fem)
Bomb Seeds - THC Bomb(fem)
Humboldt Seeds - Chemdawg(fem)
Medical seeds Co. - Y Griega(fem) AKA Shangri-la OG

I'm really trying to stay clear of Kush strains. Its like all thats going around here in BC for the last few years and i'm frankly getting tired of the Kushes.. unless a superb kush comes thru town (like tuna kush or banana kush or OG-Squared).

These strains haven't been seen around anywhere near me, plus i've seen pics and read smoke reports and i think if i grow these strains "Capn-Style" i can easily produce well over 1LB per strain.

All these strains have been tested for THC content in the 25%+ range.

Just got to wait to get back from Las Vegas in 2 weeks and i can go ahead and order my seeds and then start construction of my new flower room.

I would definitely recommend a blue cheese seed. Very strong strain, personal favorite of mine. Most blue strains I tend to be partial towards. Kush strains are great.

To go into detail about the blue cheese. My guy I normally get my supply from, gave me a decent sized nug of some blue cheese. I rolled it up and I thought It was pretty good. It didn't have a cheese taste like I've tasted in other cheese strains tho. Could have just been a knock off.

If I were to do a blue strain, I was thinking something like Blue Satellite or berry bomb.

Although BC Bud Depot's GS Cookies look way too good to not grow those beautiful ladies

>>>> Ah, the life of a bachelor.

Definitely not a bachelor my friend. The GF gives me 100% support on this project.

Yes the mothers are in DWC.. 3.5" net pots sitting in 3" rockwool cubes in 1" starter cubes.. run me thru how to get the roots out of the net pot and into some croutons?

If your girl lets you convert the dining room into a grow room, you should hold on to this girl forever!!!

>>>run me thru how to get the roots out of the net pot and into some croutons?

1. Soak your croutons in some ranch dressing, I mean... nutrient mix.

2. Fill your pot or bucket with the croutons.

3. Take the DWC netpot and put it down into the croutons. You won't be able to get the roots out of the netpot. But it is ok to keep it on. Try to distribute the roots around in the croutons and make sure all the roots are snuggled down in the croutons.

Hi just wanted to invite you to my current journal, Jack Herer and Under Dawg OG - Top Led 900 + Advanced Nutrients.

Thanks Growingnow... I Invite you to stick around my journal as everyones input is welcome!

If your girl lets you convert the dining room into a grow room, you should hold on to this girl forever!!!

>>>run me thru how to get the roots out of the net pot and into some croutons?

1. Soak your croutons in some ranch dressing, I mean... nutrient mix.

2. Fill your pot or bucket with the croutons.

3. Take the DWC netpot and put it down into the croutons. You won't be able to get the roots out of the netpot. But it is ok to keep it on. Try to distribute the roots around in the croutons and make sure all the roots are snuggled down in the croutons.

Mmmmmmmmm Ranch Dressing!!! :loopy: You think Kraft Ranchers Choice dressing has the correct N-P-K ratio? :rofl:

And its that simple eh? just soak the croutons in nute mix (use the current amounts i'm mixing already?) and plop them into a pot or bucket filled with the croutons. Well shit, now i just gotta decide what sized pots i'm going to use. I like those air pots that you use. Order them online?

Ok so I found a measuring tape last night (finally after searching my apartment for 2 weeks) and measured up the planned dimensions of the new grow room. 8 feet tall is the finalized height. 9 feet long is the finalized length and i'm thinking at least 5 feet wide since the plants will sit in a 4'x4' area inside the room under a 4'x4' scrog. I'm thinking tho it will be about 6 feet wide since i dont plan to have the plants completely centered in the room so i can walk to the other side of the box without having to build a door on the other side just to check one plant and i would rather not have to crawl around on the floor to check that everythings all hooked up still.

Morning update on the plants. The Malawi gold that got dried out doesn't seem to be doing any worse. however, they aren't really getting any better. Some branches started stretching again, and the one plant in the front that looks the worse is making the whole left DWC look like shit and making me want to just chop em all down and cut my losses rather than add on another few more weeks of flowering. That will put my grow schedule off by a few weeks since i plan to throw a batch of clones into the box to flower simultaneously as i build the new box and start flowering in there. If i can get a run of clones done in time, i might pop 2 GWS beans and flux them and crop before the end of the year.

The one Great White Shark i have in the right DWC looks amazing and is starting to really frost up. The White Rhinos beside her are also getting really frosty and the colas are really starting to grow and harden up. I'm thinking that these two strains will be done a little bit before the breeders supposed 9 week flowering time as they have been on 12/12 for just shy of 5 weeks already and they started showing sex and putting on bud very quickly into 12/12. I'm thinking probably around 8 weeks tho, but only the plant will truly tell if shes ready.

I honestly am super excited to GET BACK from my vacation as i can get back to my most addicting hobby, growing cannabis. My 4 or 5 strains i plan to order will be ordered as soon as i get back, and the contruction will begin almost immediately on the grow room. I should be harvesting the Widows/Rhinos/GWS about a week to 2 weeks after i get back.. probably will start my 2 week flush when i return.

It looks like a major supplier of loose rockwool cubes is cultilene.
It there a :420: favored supplier for these or another brand?

Online, inoticed a price premium for 75 liter bags over (equivalent) 2.6 cu ft bags. :)

Hey Rado, nice to see ya. :high-five:

i went to the hydro store a couple weeks back when i got my mycorrhizae and compost tea, and asked about their grow chunks and they were actually very cheap (at least i think it was cheap!!) for this giant ass bag.. i probably could have lived inside the bag it was so big! forgot the size and amount, but its a significant sized bag. For the maximum 2 plants i'll have in flower at any given time once my new room is up, these grow chunks will last me a lifetime! Well maybe not cause i plan to do a simultaneous grow in my grow safe. as well as probably run some larger airpots in the flower room.

>>>just soak the croutons in nute mix (use the current amounts i'm mixing already?) and plop them into a pot or bucket filled with the croutons.

How to prepare rockwool grow cubes for use. - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

How to transplant when using rockwool grow-cubes - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

>>>Well shit, now i just gotta decide what sized pots i'm going to use. I like those air pots that you use. Order them online?

Look up "rogue hydroponics".

>>>I'm thinking tho it will be about 6 feet wide

make it as BIG as you possibly can. You will thank me later. Might seem too big but trust me, you will grow into it!

>>>The one Great White Shark i have in the right DWC looks amazing and is starting to really frost up. The White Rhinos beside her are also getting really frosty and the colas are really starting to grow and harden up.

WOO HOO!

>>>I honestly am super excited to GET BACK from my vacation as i can get back to my most addicting hobby, growing cannabis.

One time I got back from vegas to some dried up plants. Do you have a plant sitter?

It looks like a major supplier of loose rockwool cubes is cultilene.
It there a :420: favored supplier for these or another brand?

Online, inoticed a price premium for 75 liter bags over (equivalent) 2.6 cu ft bags. :)

Try Grodan Rockwook grow-cubes. A 2cu ft back is about $40.

Thanks Capn, I will look into the links you sent me as well as rogue hydroponics.

< Plant Sitter >
I do have a buddy coming over to check on the plants as well as top off the reservoir mid week. Thank god for a coworker who also grows cannabis (he wants some widow clones but I got no space/light for clones yet!!!)

< Make it as BIG as you possibly can. >
I plan to. I gotta keep in mind how much space I have, width wise. 6ft is a good width, anything more and it's gona get too unruly in my apartment, at least for the GF. Not myself tho

And YES! WHOO HOO! Frosty plants! The Widow/Rhino/GWS all smell amazing now.. Still no carbon filter on the box. Direct venting out the window

Damn rights Capn.. Grodan is what I'm using right now.. Hydro store I buy from carries the large bags of croutons!!

Thanks! My local hydro store carries Gridan rockwool in 1.5-6 inch cubes. But the 1.5 " are in clone flats of 98 per tray, too expensive for breaking up into individual cubes. I'm still on the fence about reservoirs and drains. I only have 7.5' ceiling which translates into about 5' total vertical for plants and pots. For 2 month in hydro veg that pretty much forces me into a pair of 4'x4' scrogs with one 600w HPS each.

That's a perfectly good set-up and large enough for my needs, but I'm not sure I'm ready to settle down into a single growing routine with only two strains. I suppose I could do strain experiments outside if I plant by July, but outdoor growing is a whole new set of worries :)

I'm not ignoring your advice or wisdom, just not sure I'm ready for perpetual hydro (and the extra equipment.)
Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Thanks! My local hydro store carries Gridan rockwool in 1.5-6 inch cubes. But the 1.5 " are in clone flats of 98 per tray, too expensive for breaking up into individual cubes. I'm still on the fence about reservoirs and drains. I only have 7.5' ceiling which translates into about 5' total vertical for plants and pots. For 2 month in hydro veg that pretty much forces me into a pair of 4'x4' scrogs with one 600w HPS each.

That's a perfectly good set-up and large enough for my needs, but I'm not sure I'm ready to settle down into a single growing routine with only two strains. I suppose I could do strain experiments outside if I plant by July, but outdoor growing is a whole new set of worries :)

I'm not ignoring your advice or wisdom, just not sure I'm ready for perpetual hydro (and the extra equipment.)
Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Why dont you use your Veg area to strain hunt while you flower your two plants in the 4'x4' scrog? Unless you plan to keep with the Widow and Carmelicious strains...?

And if you top your plants constantly and LST them and keep them under the scrog, your 7.5' ceiling will provide you enough headspace under the light. My grow room i'm plannng will have an 8ft ceiling because my apartment ceiling is 9'. Still will give me more than enough space for flowering, even if i decide to go Full on Capn style with the superroots air-pots sitting on a water res. That setup i'm thinking will sit about 20" off the ground from floor to top of the pot. The lights i plan to use will go up as close to 1' from the ceiling of the room, giving me about 5 feet of headspace from the top of the pot to the highest point my plant will go before getting to close to the HPS reflector. A 5' plant is nothing to shake a stick at! i probably wont even get them this high, just giving me an idea of how tall i can go. With your height in your flower room, and a Capn style setup, you should be able to push a 4' tall plant before its too close to the HPS you use. But if you top it and LST and use the 4'x4' scrog you talked about(same size i'm going to use!) you will probably have about a 3.5' plant thats a tremendous bush and producing a huge amount of sticky green for you and the wife :yahoo:

>>>My local hydro store carries Gridan rockwool in 1.5-6 inch cubes. But the 1.5 " are in clone flats of 98 per tray, too expensive for breaking up into individual cubes.

They can order the grow-cubes for you if you need them.

>>>I only have 7.5' ceiling which translates into about 5' total vertical for plants and pots. For 2 month in hydro veg that pretty much forces me into a pair of 4'x4' scrogs with one 600w HPS each.

This is exactly the same space I had for a long time. A pound a month, baby!

>>>That's a perfectly good set-up and large enough for my needs, but I'm not sure I'm ready to settle down into a single growing routine with only two strains.

I hear ya! I get bored with the same stuff too.

>>>And if you top your plants constantly and LST them and keep them under the scrog, your 7.5' ceiling will provide you enough headspace under the light.

+1

>>>The lights i plan to use will go up as close to 1' from the ceiling of the room

+1. I don't use the hangers the hoods come with. I drill a new hole and use a "S" hook, into an "EYE" hook that is screwed into the ceiling.

>>>But if you top it and LST and use the 4'x4' scrog you talked about(same size i'm going to use!) you will probably have about a 3.5' plant thats a tremendous bush and producing a huge amount of sticky green for you and the wife

And your entire neighborhood, depending on the stoner population there :rofl:

How To: Bend and top your way to a 1 pound monster

>>> +1. I don't use the hangers the hoods come with. I drill a new hole and use a "S" hook, into an "EYE" hook that is screwed into the ceiling.

Thats how i have my reflector hanging over the mothers. Sort of. An Eyescrew in the 2x4 stud and the yo-yo is hooked onto the screw with a carabeener (sp?)

Making an executive decision right now. i am chopping the sickest looking Sativa from the right DWC.. let me go take a picture for you.

anyways, im taking what you said in your blogs about not wanting to wait for a sick/stunted/runty/slow growing plant and going to chop it and hopefully let the other 3 plants in the DWC tub thrive cause this shitty one isn't taking up nutes and water the other 3 could have.

These sativas were free beans anyways so i'm not even too bummed about losing all of them.. I have a mother going still who is super strong and could produce probably 20 good clones if i wanted. But i dont want to wait 12-16 weeks for this strain to finish flower (some growers report having to wait 14-15 weeks for the plants to be ready to harvest) And i only planted them cause i lost most of my expensive seeds that i ordered to damping off and then root rot before i changed my DWC set up. These basically were to "save" my first grow, however the 5 plants i have on the right side will turn out magnificent once they are done in about 3-5 weeks (the GWS looks to be maturing extremely fast for being one of the runtiest plants i had) Im thinking it was just a runty pheno. got 9 more beans to test out that theory!

anyways heres those pics. First 2 are the Sativas.. the sad one is the closest to the grow box door so will be easy to chop and take out. it looks like shit and i just cant bear to look at it when i open the box up:
GEDC00596.JPG

They started stretching again after recovering from the dehydration (said this in a Waterboy accent haha) as you can see in this picture:
GEDC00607.JPG

Heres the Right side DWC looking really good. However, i much rather look at your huge amazing plants than these dinky ones! ah well, soon i will grow monster plants:
GEDC00625.JPG

i'm gona post some bud pics of the Rhino/GWS in the next post

i'm also going to buy a new camera today not only for shots of the plants, but for vegas as well.. I WILL have a memory card so i can hold more than 5 photos on the camera at a time.. super lame having to take a bunch of shots in different takes after deleting the internal memory.. ah well! those pictures coming up in the next post as i'm uploading right now haha

also its hard for me to get a picture of my 2 white widows i have as one is in the LEFT DWC blocked by the sativas, and the Rhinos are as tough as Rhinos and i cant move them to get at the Widow in the Right DWC.

But trust me the Right one looks awesome! The White Rhinos are starting to take on the cat piss/ammonia smell i fondly remember when i last had a bag of it like 10 years ago. But a slight hint of fruity citrus in the background. More so ammonia and cat piss.. mmmm yum!

i'm also going to buy a new camera today not only for shots of the plants, but for vegas as well.. I WILL have a memory card so i can hold more than 5 photos on the camera at a time.. super lame having to take a bunch of shots in different takes after deleting the internal memory.. ah well! those pictures coming up in the next post as i'm uploading right now haha

also its hard for me to get a picture of my 2 white widows i have as one is in the LEFT DWC blocked by the sativas, and the Rhinos are as tough as Rhinos and i cant move them to get at the Widow in the Right DWC.

But trust me the Right one looks awesome! The White Rhinos are starting to take on the cat piss/ammonia smell i fondly remember when i last had a bag of it like 10 years ago. But a slight hint of fruity citrus in the background. More so ammonia and cat piss.. mmmm yum!

I think you're doing the right thing taking out the bad stuff. Roots will die and pollute the res if you dont.

>>>i much rather look at your huge amazing plants than these dinky ones

Honestly it is more difficult to grow small plants than big ones. If you can do these small ones well, you will have no trouble with the big ones. I will say though, once you go with grow-cubes you won't go back to any other method (and you will not lose another plant). It's so easy, it's almost boring. I'm the type that likes to tinker with this or that, but when I lost plants to pythium I was devastated.

Thanks for the great pictures. Your buds are really stacking up.

Okay heres some bud pics like i promised

Thanks for the great feedback Capn. Not gona lie.. i'm actually considering chopping all the sativas out (if the rest look crappy too) and leaving the one Widow i have in the left DWC (cause it looks fine). I have a sativa in veg (the mother you've seen) that i can flower out after vegas for the smoke (the sativa is what i'm super excited to smoke as i've read a couple smoke reports and users say its psychoactive and psychedelic and long lasting, so i wanna try, but i can wait to be honest.

The reps people give you must be spilling all over the floor by now!

Pictures!!
This is the Current temp and humidity at the TOP of the SCROG:
GEDC00673.JPG

Great White Shark Cola:
GEDC00664.JPG

Now some shots of the White Rhinos:
GEDC00655.JPG
GEDC00635.JPG
GEDC00645.JPG
GEDC00682.JPG
GEDC00693.JPG
GEDC00703.JPG

This one is a White Widow (they are very short plants to be honest) that is tucked behind the rhinos. My mother of this strain is a different pheno than this as this one is a multi branched stem (did this naturally) and my mother is a single stalk, single main cola type plant. (which will flower to about a pound when i put her in the new box!!)
GEDC00712.JPG

There ya have it. I'm about one month into flower give or take a few days for flowers to start showing.

I cant wait to test the Rhino. It smells just amazing right now and its not even smelling that strong yet! odour control was strongly recommended!

Back
Top Bottom