Greenthumb J's BCNL Producer Grow - 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" grow. 800w DWC - first grow ever! Multi-Strain

I have air cooled HPS. They run about $60/mo for the 1200w. They also require almost continuous fan at 400 CFM.
This is with the 4x8 room at 2/3 capacity.

I'd gladly trade for LED if they can save $30/mo and allow more flexibility in cooling and potentially CO2 use
Also last for years.
Trade in my dreams !!! :) I blew my budget on the HPS and they do a fine job, so I can't justify replacing.

I look forward to replacing the house lighting in CFL with LED, but the CFL were free :slide:

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" grow. 800w DWC - first grow ever! Multi-Strain

yea i hear you on that one. If i can save me half of what i pay in electrical costs by switching to a different type of light, that clearly produces equal quality buds to traditional light options, then sign me up.

Plus the pictures under the LEDs look cool! :cool:

I have air cooled HPS. They run about $60/mo for the 1200w. They also require almost continuous fan at 400 CFM.
This is with the 4x8 room at 2/3 capacity.

I'd gladly trade for LED if they can save $30/mo and allow more flexibility in cooling and potentially CO2 use
Also last for years.
Trade in my dreams !!! :) I blew my budget on the HPS and they do a fine job, so I can't justify replacing.

I look forward to replacing the house lighting in CFL with LED, but the CFL were free :slide:

yea i hear you on that one. If i can save me half of what i pay in electrical costs by switching to a different type of light, that clearly produces equal quality buds to traditional light options, then sign me up.

Plus the pictures under the LEDs look cool! :cool:

I've never seen a LED light that is possible to duct out the heat. They have multiple fans in them that blow constantly and heat up the room. Plus, I'd rather have big buds than cool looking lights. I get better than 1zip per square ft under 600W of HPS. If you guys see any LED lights that can beat that, and are possible to air cool, let me know! And they need to be under $10,000 too ;-)

I've never seen a LED light that is possible to duct out the heat. They have multiple fans in them that blow constantly and heat up the room. Plus, I'd rather have big buds than cool looking lights. I get better than 1zip per square ft under 600W of HPS. If you guys see any LED lights that can beat that, and are possible to air cool, let me know! And they need to be under $10,000 too ;-)

I use remote ballasts outside the room for my 600w HPS. LED should be cool and the only excuse for heat is the transformer.
Until they come up with remote transformers and long cords, I won't consider them seriously :)

Hey man, nice grow! Your plants look like they are a little heat stressed being so close to your cfl bulbs. Also from whay I have read on scrog setups they trim all the growth under the screen to increase the growth above. If you're interested in new lights, check out my journal. Led lights are a really smart alternative and they work great. Topled has great prices, also. Otherwise, sweet setup and awesome job for your first time :D

Oh and I only paid 256 bucks for 450w of LED lighting that is fan cooled. Does not heat my room up at all. I highly recommend over HPS.

I doubt I'll consider them until I've won the lottery!

They're a great technology, but I'm thinking I'm gona stay with traditional bulbs.

I'm actually using HPS in the grow box. Two 400w bulbs and a 125w CFL that's inside the grow chamber.. The HPS are contained in a glass housing that's separately air cooled from each other

I really need to take some good pictures with the lights off so you can get an idea of how lush green these plants are. I surely don't notice any plants exhibiting any symptoms of heat stress as the temp @ canopy level is about 25°. Temps on the bottom here hygrometer sits it's around 19-23 depending on the weather outside

I have the day off tomorrow, hopefully I can get around to changing the res on the mother buckets! Gotta stop taking bong hits! I get nothing done and just browse :420:

yea they definitely put on some stretch and are rather leggy. But they sure do look good.

I just had to refill ALL of the water on my sativa DWC tub as I made a rookie error and did not check the water level of the DWC res. They looked very wilty this morning. But i have wilted these plants before, added water back into the mix, and a couple hours later they were all perky again, and if fact seemed to have actually enjoyed the air time and grew exponentially once they were in water. Problem is i'm not exactly sure how water and nute starved they were. guess we will see how they react.

The Widow/Rhino tub doesn't consume nearly as much water as the Malawi Gold do, However, i just pulled out the T5's and took a peek into the Rhino/Widow tub and they are down to almost no water too.. guess these babies are starting to drink up their water much faster now.

Cleaned up below the scrog on the left side (sativa, 1 widow) of the box. Going to change the water on the right tub, and continue my cleanup of below the scrog. Then its off to change out the mothers. The damn Sativa mother is just a beast!

Will Post some pictures of all the plants in a bit :thanks:

Just posted this to Radogast's Journal to show the greenness of my plants as they hit the 21 day mark of 12/12, as he is having some early yellowing issues with his Widow.

So heres the pic. thought i would take it on a background of some very nice Bubba kush. enjoy!
GEDC004110.JPG

full picture update later on this afternoon

Okay so heres an update on my flowering box.. The Malawi gold are still looking rather wilty.. I think its cause of the longer and more thin leaves. The White Widow thats in the same tub doesn't look at rough. Although the lower leaves that are still on the sativas dont feel that wilty anymore. The Widow/Rhino/GWS tub looks good as it always has. I'm still getting around to dealing with the mothers. They dont look to be suffering from my lack of attention. They are actually overgrowing my bathtub haha!

I'm also in the process of making some BBQ burgers. so thats why i have been taking so long to get shit done.. Changed the DWC tubs, did a good defol of almost everything below the screen, Had to go replace the propane tank, get some groceries, walk my lazy pug, take bong hits and load the vaporizer for the girlfriend. Like i said in an earlier post, not enough time in the day to get shit done!

Lights out on the flowering ladies in about 15 mins. Heres a picture of them after i have trimmed everything off.. i will post a pic of the trim i took off. The GWS and rhinos are starting to frost up a little bit. still waiting on a distinct smell from the box before i put the carbon filter on.. right now i just have 4" ducting from the box out the window.

so heres that pic i mentioned haha:
GEDC00435.JPG

heres a couple of bud shots. First up is the Great White Shark. I really love the way this plant looks. i think i popped the runt seed of the 10, and i hope the other 9 i have look better than this, even tho i'm sure she will turn out just nicely:
GEDC00444.JPG

Heres a White Rhino that i couldn't top. The other branch on this plant I DID top however:
GEDC00458.JPG

i will post a picture of the Mothers after the lady and me eat some burgers.

Stay green everyone!

Disaster in the bathroom!!! mother plant massacre! I had an incident when changing the mother DWC's needless to say, i had a few drinks with the woman, and when putting back the Rhino mother, i got frustrated with her not standing up straight when i put her back into the bathtub, so she got a judo chop and i took off enough of her (not actually enough to scrap the plant, but enough for me) to scrap the plant. The other 2 have much more room to grow now, but i'm down a mother!

ugh, this is the negatives of alcohol.... no patience! i would have 3 mothers instead of 2 if it weren't for the Drink!!!

So i checked on the Flowering box today, and the Sativas are looking very sad. Guessing they sat drying out for too long. They dont seem to look like they are recovering. That would scrap 4 of the 9 plants i have in flower if they dont make it.

Ugh, fucking rookie mistakes. No more drinking while i have to work on the garden!! And no forgetting about the DWC water levels!!!!

:confused:

So i checked on the Flowering box today, and the Sativas are looking very sad. Guessing they sat drying out for too long. They dont seem to look like they are recovering. That would scrap 4 of the 9 plants i have in flower if they dont make it.

Ugh, fucking rookie mistakes. No more drinking while i have to work on the garden!! And no forgetting about the DWC water levels!!!!

:confused:

It sounds like you're having a hard time right now, GT. Hang in there. DWC doesn't leave a lot of room for mistakes. Rookie, or pro, things can go wrong very quickly, and the growing method is extremely prone to root disease (even when you're doing everything correctly).

On the next round, if you want to try rockwool grow cubes, I'll be happy to help you out. You will get near DWC results and it is much easier and more forgiving than DWC. What you've learned already, won't change. You will use the same nutrient recipes. The beauty of rockwool is that it is difficult to over, or under water your plants.

Here is a thread explaining the method:
Do it Capn Style - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Here are some results, in the video:
Doin it CapnStyle. 2.0 A tour of the Capn's Quarters - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Maybe i'm just over thinking things and the sativas just need to recover from the defol over the last couple day.

guess only time will tell. Still kind of upset at myself that i let my frustration get the better of me.

Maybe i'm just over thinking things and the sativas just need to recover from the defol over the last couple day.

guess only time will tell. Still kind of upset at myself that i let my frustration get the better of me.

I can definitely relate. You're not alone buddy. I wish I was Data and could remove my emotion chip. If only logic dictated our actions we as a race of beings would probably be growing cannabis on a moon of Jupiter by now.

Thanks Capn. It was my own fault. I should have seen this being an issue once the plants got much larger. The net pot doesnt fit snugly in the 5gal lid, so when i did res change last night, everything was looking great, All 3 mothers look fantastic. Now i'm down the Rhino mother cause like i said my frustration with the loose fitting net pot got the better of me and.. yea, down a mother plant haha.

Your encouragement is always so appreciated. I will start planning my flowering chamber once i can find my measuring tape haha. Its seemed to have disappeared on me when i built the light stand in my bathroom for the mothers. But i will try my best to get it as clean as your set up, cause clearly it works wonders.

Heading over to those threads now. Thanks again Capn. have some reps :thanks: :adore:

I can definitely relate. You're not alone buddy. I wish I was Data and could remove my emotion chip. If only logic dictated our actions we as a race of beings would probably be growing cannabis on a moon of Jupiter by now.

You said it! That would be some crazy space aged stuff!!!

It sounds like you're having a hard time right now, GT. Hang in there. DWC doesn't leave a lot of room for mistakes. Rookie, or pro, things can go wrong very quickly, and the growing method is extremely prone to root disease (even when you're doing everything correctly).

On the next round, if you want to try rockwool grow cubes, I'll be happy to help you out. You will get near DWC results and it is much easier and more forgiving than DWC. What you've learned already, won't change. You will use the same nutrient recipes. The beauty of rockwool is that it is difficult to over, or under water your plants.

Here is a thread explaining the method:
Do it Capn Style - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Here are some results, in the video:
Doin it CapnStyle. 2.0 A tour of the Capn's Quarters - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

I definitely will be contacting you in a couple weeks to help with the start of my next grow. Figuring the build should start around july 1ish, we can correspond some planning in the couple weeks proir once i get back.

thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom