Grand Daddy Black Grows A Stack

Lovely gardens G, heard ya got your 1st vacation!
Me and the Mrs as well. I've def been spending this pandemic pandering my gardens. Smile and stay stoneder
Thanks, Fredwalk.

Glad to hear you and your boss got poked! :Rasta:

I started counting them as in flower when I started seeing pistils. Are you saying a plant is considered in flower as soon as one flips the light cycle?
That is good practice for counting the days of flowering time. But I believe within the first 2 or 3 days of the changed light schedule the photosynthetic process starts to take place and triggers, erm, things on the inside to change. I don't know the science and maybe shed would know better, but that's something I've read. If you slowly change the light cycles over a week or 2 trying to replicate nature, I'm sure the process would take longer.

Hey Gdb! Just getting caught up again, I’ve been off the site for a few days and I’m pages behind over here, this journal moves quick!

Plants are looking so good you are doing a fantastic job!!

Hey Gdb! Just getting caught up again, I’ve been off the site for a few days and I’m pages behind over here, this journal moves quick!

Plants are looking so good you are doing a fantastic job!!
Thanks, N420.

Always good, whenever you stop by! :Rasta:

I started counting them as in flower when I started seeing pistils. Are you saying a plant is considered in flower as soon as one flips the light cycle?
The plant considers itself in flower then, so I do too! I don't count days from pistils when I'm doing the flipping.
That is good practice for counting the days of flowering time. But I believe within the first 2 or 3 days of the changed light schedule the photosynthetic process starts to take place and triggers, erm, things on the inside to change. I don't know the science and maybe shed would know better, but that's something I've read. If you slowly change the light cycles over a week or 2 trying to replicate nature, I'm sure the process would take longer.
True! In the slam from veg to 12/12, the plant gets the message immediately. That's why outside plants may not show pistils for 3-4 weeks after the Summer solstice. It's a much more gradual process for the plant to say, "Hey, I'm getting the feeling that I got fewer minutes of daylight today than I did yesterday. :hmmmm: "

That's why breeders will give flower days (for those flipping) and a harvest month for outdoor growers. What is 8 weeks in a tent (56 days) might be October outside (102+ days).

Anyone interested on the plant science side of that change should read a great post by @Maritimer in his thread here, though I will still be calling it "stretch" after flip. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Anyone interested on the plant science side of that change should read a great post by @Maritimer in his thread here, though I will still be calling it "stretch" after flip. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I will check this out, thanks shed. Judging by his name, he's right up my alley lol I'm originally from the maritimes myself.

God damn GDB, your plants never look anything short of spot on. Forget the thumbs, you must be green up to your elbows!

I’ve been pondering your slow watering issue with the GF plant. My solution has been to just put a couple of quarts of water through the top of the soil to moisten the upper most roots, and put the rest of the water into the saucer for uptake through the bottom. You can keep the root zone much more moist, and you don’t have to waste all the time watering in the plant like a sloth! That’s how I’ve been doing that big Grandpa Glue. Works well and takes just a couple of minutes.

The Grandpa Glue is even on MC! Which I’ve heard from our resident Shed-dweller is a big no-no! Grandpa doesn’t seem to mind. I figure with the GF and using plain water, you should have smooth sailing with a bottom watering schedule.

God damn GDB, your plants never look anything short of spot on. Forget the thumbs, you must be green up to your elbows!

I’ve been pondering your slow watering issue with the GF plant. My solution has been to just put a couple of quarts of water through the top of the soil to moisten the upper most roots, and put the rest of the water into the saucer for uptake through the bottom. You can keep the root zone much more moist, and you don’t have to waste all the time watering in the plant like a sloth! That’s how I’ve been doing that big Grandpa Glue. Works well and takes just a couple of minutes.

The Grandpa Glue is even on MC! Which I’ve heard from our resident Shed-dweller is a big no-no! Grandpa doesn’t seem to mind. I figure with the GF and using plain water, you should have smooth sailing with a bottom watering schedule.
Thanks, Chef. However, I'd stay away from bottom feeding the plant for 2 reasons.

First, I don't like to let plants sit in water. That's just a personal thing, maybe. But I've been growing plants (other than weed plants) for a long time and it's just not something I've ever chosen to do.

Second, I think the proper dispersion of the GeoFlora nutes is dependent on water running over and through the granules that rest on top of the soil.

Thanks, Chef. However, I'd stay away from bottom feeding the plant for 2 reasons.

First, I don't like to let plants sit in water. That's just a personal thing, maybe. But I've been growing plants (other than weed plants) for a long time and it's just not something I've ever chosen to do.

Second, I think the proper dispersion of the GeoFlora nutes is dependent on water running over and through the granules that rest on top of the soil.
I have to agree here too.
With MC, bottom watering after 3-4 weeks helped control fruit flies and seemed to work fine most of the time.
But with the GF being distributed all through the soil, then top dressed- top watering only for me on this grow.
The first watering on the top dress I did with my 8 hole clone/seedling water bottle (not the stolen idea) to make sure I soaked it all. The dust on the granules seemed to be calling to me to wet it down before a full watering.
The idea scared me at first but now I love these nutes. I was sure I'd overdo it, but they are much more forgiving than suspected. No 1/2 doses for us!

I did with my 8 hole clone/seedling water bottle (not the stolen idea)
Hmm. Are you perhaps taking a shot at my GDBdribbler? And more importantly, are you suggesting that I stole the idea?

Well, I didn't. In fact, the GDBdribbler only has 5 holes in the top. :laughtwo:

Hmm. Are you perhaps taking a shot at my GDBdribbler? And more importantly, are you suggesting that I stole the idea?

Well, I didn't. In fact, the GDBdribbler only has 5 holes in the top. :laughtwo:
Never!
In fact I was making sure my own version (Goody's OctoWaterer) didn't appear to be a ripoff of your design, which was beautiful and innovative in it's time.
My newest one uses a pedialyte bottle as a base, so it can't be confused with most other grower's models.

Since you are not a parent, I'm guessing that bottle was related to hangover repair. :)
Great guess! Not me cause I’m no longer a drinker, but the GF has the occasional tough morning and that stuff works miracles. I don’t miss that grape taste in the morning lol

Oh, I meant bottom feeding with any synthetic nutes. I know the GG is happy, but it's best to water salt-based nutes to runoff, or flush them periodically.
Come to think of it I flushed her with plain water i do believe

Hello grow people!

Let's go with an update.

First the clones.

I have decided to only grow one of them, the Strawberry Banana Grape. She looks to be the readiest and most willing to cooperate. I'll grow her in my 2x2 tent in a 3 gallon fabric pot. I'll be topping her this week, as soon as I figure out where to cut her. :Rasta:

I'm gifting the 2 Grand Daddy Purples to a buddy. They still look kinda' strange and may be going through a re-veg phase. Hopefully they'll straighten up for him. He's very excited about getting them so I'm happy for them and him.

Here's a pic (GDPs on the left)

P1040621.JPG

The autos are still dragging their feet.

The Chocolate Kush and Blue Dream'atic (rear) are on day 104. The Northern Lights x Pakistani Chitral Kush is on day 94.

The NL x PK will be coming down this week. She has little amber but I like where she is -- lots of opaque trichs.

The other two will have to follow soon.
P1040648.JPG

The girls in the photo tent continue to impress.

I'm starting to have flopping issues on a few of the plants, but that's a good thing in my book! I had a lazy attack yesterday when they were watered so I could only manage a full-tent pic.
IMG_2531 (1).jpg

They are a smelly bunch and Mrs. GDB misses no opportunity to tell me that. Bless her heart. :laughtwo:

That's today's update, unless I do another one later. :Rasta:

Peace.

Hello again, growers.

Just a flash update about the downside of urban living.

Here at GDB's Grow Emporium we posted a job announcement for the openings in the R&D Unit. Today my assistant, Joan, told me that she had contacted several of the applicants and that several of them were lined up outside for interviews.

As I really depend on R&D input, I was pumped...until I looked out the window.

R&D applicants.jpg

Sheesh!

Back
Top Bottom