Grand Daddy Black Grows A Stack

Sorry about the non-starters but I have a feeling you will be wall to wall with the ones that are keepers, so I'm thinking of it as self-thinning!
I didn't think that the soil pH mattered much...I know the pH of liquids you add to it matters, but I thought the soil was an "it is what it is" thing
The pH of the substrate is all that matters with soil or peat-based. Liquid pH is immaterial to the plants. It was the high pH of the soil I was in this spring that set me back a month. pH of the water only matters in hydro (coco/DWC, etc.). The pH of the substrate can shift over time, but not as a result of the pH of the nutes:
This one will be referred to as the Auto Show.
LOL! We might be going to that this weekend. :high-five:
You may remember how pumped I was about smoking the Bubblegum from a recent harvest. That stuff gets me zooted! The ones I grew were "Fast" strains, and I was not that pleased with the way they grew or the amount they produced. But now I've got some fem Bubblegum arriving any day now. I chose two versions, one by Kera Seeds and one by Royal Queen Seeds.
My next grow in the 4x4 tent will be a @Weed Seeds Express sponsored grow, featuring NYC Diesel and Trainwreck. The Auto Show will be grown in the 5x5 and after they're done I'll get to the "Bubblegum Machine" grow!
Congratulations on the upcoming sponsored Bazooka Joe Grow Show!

Great going with the rest of your garden GDB. I sympathise with you on the problem one, I had a similar last season where after it formed leaves but only miniature and never got more than couple of inches after several weeks. It's annoying.

I have a similar looking munter at the moment (more of an eel mouth). The shell membrane trapped the cotyledons so they didn't open. I tried to pick it off from the tips of the cotyledons, but it was unsuccessful. Then knowing something was still not right, I went back and took it from the soil and managed to slit thru the membrane by running a pin thru the trapped closed cotyledons, but after 3 days I think it is too late, I should have done that on the first day. This morning it is a tiny bit taller, but the now freed cotyledons haven't opened, so it is clearly a goner, which is a shame as it was my last Mango Sherbert seed which I grew last season and was a lovely smoke. If seeds were legal and easy to get here in NZ, I'd germinate several and quickly toss the ones that don't work to save time.
I feel you.
But until she/he completely dries down or withers you should keep an eye on it.

Even tho it would have idled for several days and if the cots are free to open now, I’d wait couple days.

Idk if you keep the sprouts and/or not popped seeds under artificial lights already(?)
If don’t, then you could try to set some ambient lights and see if that helps the ”mouthling” to open the cots and start photosynthesis

The pH of the substrate is all that matters with soil or peat-based.
Well, I guess I had that backwards...apparently, I've been lucky with my substrate choices so far...
Thanks for the clarification, Shed...I've said it before, and I'll say it again- I have got to pay closer attention...

Hello grow group.

Naked seedling - Day Last.

She's history. She was not moving.

I dropped 2 more auto seeds yesterday. This time I'm going to use the paper towel method to get the tap root out, avoiding the risk of another "jumper" that just pops completely out of the shell while soaking. I let them soak for only 24 hours then put them on damp paper towels and in a sandwich bag on the heating mat. These are the last 2 that I'll be trying to add to the Auto Show grow.

Here's a pic of the Freebie + 1 tent at Flip + 7. The bunch looks content. Hope they stay that way.
Freebie + 1 Tent 11-24-21 Flip + 7.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Peace.

You’re braver than me @Grand Daddy Black - lately my best luck has been putting them directly into those peat pods with no pre-soak what-so-ever - I’ve had 2/5 sprout well within a week and look to have a third in the morning!

Now I just have to find out if once a seedling in a peat pot can be completely rinsed and moved to a split open rapid rooter for installation into the hydroton foe my DWC bucket!

You’re braver than me @Grand Daddy Black - lately my best luck has been putting them directly into those peat pods with no pre-soak what-so-ever - I’ve had 2/5 sprout well within a week and look to have a third in the morning!

Now I just have to find out if once a seedling in a peat pot can be completely rinsed and moved to a split open rapid rooter for installation into the hydroton foe my DWC bucket!
Babygirl, every way I've tried to germinate has worked and every way has failed. I just like to change things up! :Rasta:

Hello grow group.

I dropped 2 more auto seeds yesterday. This time I'm going to use the paper towel method to get the tap root out, avoiding the risk of another "jumper" that just pops completely out of the shell while soaking. I let them soak for only 24 hours then put them on damp paper towels and in a sandwich bag on the heating mat. These are the last 2 that I'll be trying to add to the Auto Show grow.

Here's a pic of the Freebie + 1 tent at Flip + 7. The bunch looks content. Hope they stay that way.

Thanks for looking.

Peace.
Look at all that beautiful Green. :yummy:

Well, I guess I had that backwards...apparently, I've been lucky with my substrate choices so far...
Thanks for the clarification, Shed...I've said it before, and I'll say it again- I have got to pay closer attention...
I see where many test PH of their liquid and swear by it.

Sorry the little one didn't make it- you gave her plenty of time make her move...
All the ladies in the Freebie+1 tent are looking great!
I think @InTheShed has done something pretty similar- splitting apart two seedlings that came up together in the same solo cup- I don't think he rinsed them off, he just shook all the medium off, untangled the roots, and they both survived just fine in their new pots-

Feel free to pH-adjust your nutes in soil or peat-based (soilless), but it's the pH of the substrate that affects the plants, not the pH of the nutes. The pH of the substrate can shift over time based on the type of nitrogen in your nutes and the alkaline content of your water, but then the pH of the substrate needs to be adjusted, not the nutes. And soil offers greater buffering capacity than peat-based media, if that matters to anyone reading this!
I think @InTheShed has done something pretty similar- splitting apart two seedlings that came up together in the same solo cup- I don't think he rinsed them off, he just shook all the medium off, untangled the roots, and they both survived just fine in their new pots-
Thanks Carcass, I have indeed (and do it almost every time I clone). I don't rinse them off, but I can't see why you would need to going from peat to rooter.

That said, my plants have visible roots in a clear solo cup before I do it, not just a tiny tap root in a peat puck.
full

Doesn't mean it can't be done though, carefully!

Feel free to pH-adjust your nutes in soil or peat-based (soilless), but it's the pH of the substrate that affects the plants, not the pH of the nutes. That can shift over time based on the type of nitrogen in your nutes and the alkaline content of your water, but then the pH of the substrate needs to be adjusted, not the nutes. And soil offers greater buffering capacity than peat-based media, if that matters to anyone reading this!

Thanks Carcass, I have indeed (and do it almost every time I clone). I don't rinse them off, but I can't see why you would need to going from peat to rooter.

That said, my plants have visible roots in a clear solo cup before I do it, not just a tiny tap root in a peat puck.
full

Doesn't mean it can't be done though!
Thanks @Carcass and @InTheShed ! Thats what I was thinking: needs more than just a little old taproot - it would need to probably have at least two or three full/true leaves

What's with you two East-coasters up at 2am?
Mrs. GDB told me don't even think about coming to bed tonight, so I'm kind of stuck here with the computer. :straightface:
Look at all that beautiful Green. :yummy:
Thanks, Stinker! The @Prescription Blend nutrients are nice.
How VERY true GDB!
I don't fib all the time! :Rasta:
When growing in hydro they'd better swear by it. But in soil is should not be as much of an issue.

However, there are exceptions.

Mrs. GDB told me don't even think about coming to bed tonight, so I'm kind of stuck here with the computer. :straightface:

I don't fib all the time! :Rasta:
Shoot - If I wanted MY bed and hubby didnt want to share it, HE could go sleep with the dogs!

I know you wouldn't GDB :)

Hello grow group.

Thanks for looking.

Peace.
Looking good!

Shoot - If I wanted MY bed and hubby didnt want to share it, HE could go sleep with the dogs!

I know you wouldn't GDB :)
That's what I would have been told...if we had a dog.

Back
Top Bottom