Cocktail Crush is an abundant orange cherry/vine tomato, blight/BER resistant and are excellent in salads
I grow F1 Roma Plum toms for cooking, but we tend to take them as they turn, then ripen in the fruit bowl to avoid blight/botrytis/end rot etc
Beefsteak is a no-no on my plot, prone to severe PM/blight

We never got any tomatoes in this year. We've had problems with a fungus, can't remember the name, that causes ring shaped spots to show up, and blossom end rot.
enrich earth with epsom salts magnesium sulfate

Yeah that’s what I had thought. I know the wife was adding banana water to them and that helped a bit but did not fix it entirely.
I'm planning on letting that section of the garden rest for a while. I'll dig in some compost and mulch it, maybe dig in some more fish bone meal, or regular bone meal this Autumn, and put some pots there next year. Let everything settle.
Stunning summer up there Mel. :bravo:
Thanks Shed!
Cocktail Crush is an abundant orange cherry/vine tomato, blight/BER resistant and are excellent in salads
I grow F1 Roma Plum toms for cooking, but we tend to take them as they turn, then ripen in the fruit bowl to avoid blight/botrytis/end rot etc
Beefsteak is a no-no on my plot, prone to severe PM/blight
I think they might be Campari, but I'll look into the Cocktail Crush. BER resistance would definitely be useful.
You're right about the beefsteak, but my dad loves the flavour. I'm trying to find a way to grow them in the yard where they won't be hit by diseases, but I'm thinking growing in pots might be the only way to do that for now.
enrich earth with epsom salts magnesium sulfate
Thanks John, but we have to be careful with sulphur/sulphates as soil amendments around here. There are sulphur springs not far away. It gives the garlic grown around here a really good flavour, but can cause other issues.

Godzilla is starting to smell like spicy diesel with a hint of berries, and Kong has a bit of skunky lemon hanging in the air around her.

Gorilla Glue #4

Godzilla Glue #4

The grower I gave clones to has had a bit of a disaster due to a parking lot light shining on her plants. She only has one female left, and will be bringing her here to see if I can get her through to the finish.
I'll be posting pics of her here as soon as I can.
She's a bit underfed, and stressed, and I don't know if she's a Gorilla Glue #4 or a Godzilla Glue #4. I'll see if she can tell me which.

Have a great day!

Yeah that’s what I had thought. I know the wife was adding banana water to them and that helped a bit but did not fix it entirely.
I've also read that INCONSISTENT watering (not too much or too little I guess) plus calcium deficiency is the reason for the blossom end rot. The tomatoes might be growing along nicely then get a boost of a bucket of water or a long rain and the tomato ends up rotting due to too much water (too much more than it was expecting). I've had it a couple times this year, and I found it was pretty well correlated to when I had neglected watering for a couple days, and the next fill or two pumped up the fruits and some split and some rotted.

I've also read that INCONSISTENT watering (not too much or too little I guess) plus calcium deficiency is the reason for the blossom end rot. The tomatoes might be growing along nicely then get a boost of a bucket of water or a long rain and the tomato ends up rotting due to too much water (too much more than it was expecting). I've had it a couple times this year, and I found it was pretty well correlated to when I had neglected watering for a couple days, and the next fill or two pumped up the fruits and some split and some rotted.
Well, growing them in pots next year should keep that from becoming a factor.
I'll try a couple pots each of Cocktail Crush and Beefsteak and post about it in the off topic gardening forum. See what happens.

Well, growing them in pots next year should keep that from becoming a factor.
I'll try a couple pots each of Cocktail Crush and Beefsteak and post about it in the off topic gardening forum. See what happens.
I had a yellow tomato plant in a 7 gallon fabric pot get almost 12 feet long. I had to run her all along the fence to hold her up. I made so much salsa!!! I grew Scorpion and ghost peppers that year too. I can't eat them but they're fun to grow. I gave salsa and apple butter for Christmas presents that year!!

Kong's stigmas are really short. Is that a characteristic of GG#4?
I'm going to check out some other grow journals of the strain, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noted that, or if it's just this phenotype.
Godzilla is dropping internal leaves. She isn't even bothering to pull everything from them first, they just go a little yellowish, then drop right off. They're all big fans that aren't getting much light, and which aren't directly feeding any buds.
I'm not worried, it's just something I found interesting.

Gorilla Glue #4
Forgot to mention, her scent has shifted to a lemony pine.

Godzilla Glue #4

I had a yellow tomato plant in a 7 gallon fabric pot get almost 12 feet long. I had to run her all along the fence to hold her up. I made so much salsa!!! I grew Scorpion and ghost peppers that year too. I can't eat them but they're fun to grow. I gave salsa and apple butter for Christmas presents that year!!
I grew some Moruga Scorpions a few years ago. They made fantastic hot sauce.
My Ghost peppers didn't do well this year. They sprouted, but didn't make it past the cotyledon stage.
Hopefully next year will be better.

Those girls are amazingly blemish-free for outdoor plants! Outstanding grow, Mel. :Rasta:

Monsters!! Beautiful monsters. The yellowish girl has nice form. I think you'll have her lookin purdy soon too!! Happy Thursday!! 😎✌️

Looks happy but hungry!
She hasn't even really shifted to flower yet, so I'm hoping she can grow some more leaves in as she does.
Damn, that's going to be a lot of flower Mel! :high-five:
Looking great brother:high-five:
Thanks Sparkey!
what deficiency are you seeing present in the leaves
All of them, lol! She was given random doses of Miracle Grow all-purpose, so things are out of whack.
You can do it. :lot-o-toke: 🍋
Thanks Keith!
Monsters!! Beautiful monsters. The yellowish girl has nice form. I think you'll have her lookin purdy soon too!! Happy Thursday!! 😎✌️
Thanks Scottay!
I hope so! She's the last survivor out of 4.
I love a good rescue story!

She needs an increase in Mega Crop STAT!

You got this. Xo
Thanks Tra!
It's waiting and ready! Unfortunately she got a good soaking before she was brought here. I was a bit surprised, the last thing I would do before schlepping a plant to a new home would be to make it heavier 🤷‍♂️
I'll have to wait for her to dry out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom