GDB's Express Grow

Though some of these branches may appear super-cropped, only one or two had the cell walls pinched before being bent. It's mostly LST using less than 90 degree bends. Those orange 90 degree plant benders I used work well for tall slender branches. They just need to be taped on in order to maintain their hold on the branches that are somewhat slim.

Could you please show a close-up shot of your orange 90 degree plant benders and how it's used?

Could you please show a close-up shot of your orange 90 degree plant benders and how it's used?
Sure Hashgirl.

It's lights out for the girls now. But I can demo how they work.

Just imagine this pipe-cleaner is a branch on a plant.

Orange bender.JPG

Ideally sized branches can be squeezed in and the the gadget will hold them tight. The branches I used them on were thin and the benders would not have held so I used a little blue tape and did this...
Orange Gadget II.JPG

It's a nice gadget for gently bending a plant. It doesn't result in a 90 degree angle but it's close enough!

I'll show you a pic of them on a plant when I get the opportunity.

(And my 2 hecklers are asleep at the moment, so all the better!)
Can confirm, for one of two at least….
I've got a couple of *amazing friends* here that do enough *rejoicing* for the entire room, when they're awake. :)
FTFY
It's a nice gadget for gently bending a plant. It doesn't result in a 90 degree angle but it's close enough!

Bravo for this ingenuity. Glad to see the GDB research team is still at it!

Hello growers.

Welcome to what I hope will be an informative and entertaining look at the lives of three little weed seeds from germination to harvest!

I'll be attempting to grow three different strains that I purchased from 420 sponsor @Weed Seeds Express.

These are the seeds I'll be working with:

My goal will be to keep them all at the low end of the height estimates. Three footers, or even shorter, would be ideal.

I've had some problems with bugs in prior grows and I hope that growing smaller plants will allow me to monitor the plants more closely for intruders. In addition, I'm not a young man and having to wrestle with plants that are 4+ feet tall is too much like "real work" to me!

The plants will be grow in a 4x4 tent that's about 6'7'' inches tall. It's loaded with 2 AC Infinity 6 inch in-line fans with speed controllers for intake (from the bottom of tent) and exhaust (from up top). There are also 2 nine inch fans inside for air circulation. Their heights can be adjusted as needed. A humidifier is available if needed.

I'll be using a light from 420 sponsor @Mars Hydro. The TS3000. It pulls 450 watts. I will not provide the detailed specs here as they are readily available on the Mars Hydro web site. (Their site can easily be reached via the Sponsor's link at the top of every 420 page.)

I've used this light before in the 4x4 and trust me (famous last words) it's a killer light for a 4x4 grow space. I haven't had to turn up to full blast on any previous grow! (Though that's partly due to plants stretching up so close to the light that full blast was just not necessary or advisable.)

Here's the set-up, all sanitized and nearly ready for 3 new tenants (need to tighten up those cords):
1644071211884.png

I'm still undecided about pot size. As I said, I want to keep these plants on the short side. But I also want them to have plenty of root space to grow to maturity and get sturdy. I had toyed with the idea of 3 gallon pots but now I'm leaning toward using 5 gallon ones (or maybe two 5s and one 3, just to see how the 3 gallon one turns out). Deep down, I don't believe a 3 gallon pot is sufficient for a photo plant. While I've seen others here do it successfully, I just don't think it's in my wheelhouse. Still I might try it for one of these plants.

If about now you're thinking that I'm sort of an indecisive person, you've nailed it! :Rasta:

The medium will be either Fox Farms Ocean Forest (FFOF), or Roots Organics Lush soil, or perhaps an interesting combination of the two. Again, I have not fully decided.

There's even more indecision on what nutrients I'll be using. It depends in part on which medium I settle on. As for nutrients, I have a few options available. (And that is part of my problem. For me, too many options leads to indecision.)

One thing I will be doing is including SNS 209 in their feeds as soon as they show a second set of leaves. I hope the 209 will deter my nemesis -- spider mites (aka "the Borg"). SNS (@Sierra Natural Science is another 420 sponsor that offers a variety of natural critter-fighting product.) If not, I have several other pest management tools at the ready.

I soaked the seeds for this grow on Jan. 31. They were soaked in shot glasses of distilled water on a heating mat.
1644073268185.png

By Feb. 2 all three had tap roots and were ready to be buried.

Grape Ape
1644073398997.png

Pinkman Goo
1644073449267.png

Black Domina
1644073531822.png

I typically bury seeds as soon as I see any part of a tap root. I don't care to wait on them to get a certain length.

Their first-stop solo cups were filled with FFOF with a one inch layer of Coast of Maine Organic Seed Start on the top surface. About 1/3 of a teaspoon of earth worm casting was stirred into the organic seed starter.

They went into the cups on Feb. 2.

As of today, I have some bad news and some good news about the germination. The bad news is that only 2 of the 3 seeds have emerged from the soil. The good news is that 2 of the 3 seeds have emerged from the soil!

The Black Domina came up first and paid a price for doing so.
Black Domina above soil 2-5-22.JPG

You see how she's not center-cup? That's because when I first saw the helmet emerging I had a boo-boo and knocked her over. I was able to place the tap root properly back into the soil with only the helmet exposed but did not want to risk trying to position it back in the center of the cup. She's still in the process of shedding her helmet but she looks okay.

Next came the Pinkman Goo.

She's having a slightly harder time. She's got some membrane restricting her from opening up and she's still too small and frail for me to try and get it off. I've been putting drops of water on her to try and help it come off. Eventually I'll have to go after it with a toothpick.
Pinkman Goo above soil 2-5-22.JPG

There hasn't been a peep yet from the Grape ape.

And that's where things stand today!

I've got a few decision to make on how I'm going to proceed. And the Grape Ape seed has to decide whether or not she's going to join the party.

I hope you can tag along with me. All are welcome!

Peace.
I'm in...i'll learn by vicariously following in your steps!

Daaaaamn...I got behind! Those plants are looking amazing man. I skipped ahead to see the most recent updates and they are so happy. Blessings
Thanks, Baked!

I'm always behind too. It's hard not to be with so many interesting grows (and growers) on this site that one wants to follow! :Rasta:

@DutchinAB that FTFY you posted had so much spin I got dizzy reading it. :laughtwo:

Regarding the gadget, my Research team had nothing to do with it. A buddy gave me a bag of those and he probably got them from the space guy.

In the few years my research team was in place all they gave me was a box of paper clips that they called training aids, and a Tupperware cereal container that they called a cloner. I'm better of without those bums. :straightface:

It's lights out for the girls now. But I can demo how they work.

Orange bender.JPG

That branch looks a little pale. Maybe a nute deficiency or too close to the light? Dunno. Never had a branch that lacking in color before.

Looking forward to see how you correct it. :popcorn:

That branch looks a little pale. Maybe a nute deficiency or too close to the light? Dunno. Never had a branch that lacking in color before.
I think you might have but just didn't notice it. :straightface:

Hello all.

It's Flip + 13 for The Express Grow.

The trio looks content this morning. And, I'm guessing, the tent looks a little smaller! :)

At lights-on this evening it's feeding time. They'll get another dose of MC @4.5g.
Express Tent 4-9-22 flip13.jpg

@HashGirl, here's a pic of the 90 degree clips on a plant. I hope you can see what's going on. If not, let me know and I'll try to take a better pic!
clips.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Peace.

Hello all.

The trio looks content this morning. And, I'm guessing, the tent looks a little smaller! :)

At lights-on this evening it's feeding time. They'll get another dose of MC @4.5g.

@HashGirl, here's a pic of the 90 degree clips on a plant. I hope you can see what's going on. If not, let me know and I'll try to take a better pic!
clips.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Peace.
Plants are looking great!

Hello all.

clips.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Peace.
Good morning GDB hope you are well my friend.
I admire your garden.
Beautiful happy ladies.
Nice work.

Stay safe
Bill

Hello all.

clips.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Peace.
How do you like them? Are they good to work with? Any issues you don't like?

How do you like them? Are they good to work with? Any issues you don't like?
I like them for thin branches because you can gently bend them into the gadget without pinching the branch. It's "true" LST.

With thicker branches, I've had them pop right off due to swelling of the branches. So I really only used them in special situations. Otherwise I go with my patented GDBClips® to achieve pretty much the same result!

1649513838262.png

My, are you having a good behavior day, @Azimuth? :)

Yeah, but that's almost too simple. It'd never sell. :confused:
That's bull! Billions of toothpicks and fly swatters have been sold over time. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom