Pulled the inline fan and carbon filter. Jacked the lights up to the top and then reorganized the wires. Plenty of room for activities 😂.
PXL_20241013_223318287.jpg

Elsa
PXL_20241013_225330816.jpg

Amelia
PXL_20241013_225340184.jpg

I'm about to go Edward scissors hand on them and clean out some under growth. I'm going to cut all the larfy growth and every other fan leaf at the net to open it up.
Nust remember that every leaf you pluck that is in the light will lower photosynthesis, which drives brix, so try not to take any of those ones.
Lol I gotta get up at 4am to Brix her to verify that she's into the 20's. I'm not sure what's putting me in such a great range but I'm trying to be consistent with everything.
Different strains will brix higher than others, so when you find the balance and maintain it, you let the genetics shine thru, which is the whole point actually, so if you do the exact same thing every grow but with different strains, you will see different maximums.

Don't get upset if you do a run and they just won't go over 18, and smile like a bandit when you find a strain that will give you a 23.

Just keep doing what your doing and let your stash grow. The brix will be what the plant can give you if you keep showing them the love❤️👊

You caught on to brix quickly. Kinda nice to not have to worry about bugs hey?

It's amazing how much value you get from a $25 refractometer.

I did get my infrared gun in today as well. We shall see what my leaf temps are.
I'm very curious. When measuring VPD it's really important to grab air temp and RH right from the canopy. Even a few inches away and it will start to change.

When you say "Pulled the inline fan and filter" did you completely remove them or just relocate them?

That moving air is what is bringing in the carbon that is raising your brix.

Nust remember that every leaf you pluck that is in the light will lower photosynthesis, which drives brix, so try not to take any of those ones.
So I'm having an issue right at the net where leaves are laying right on top of one another. I'm hoping just remove just enough to not have water puddles on the leaves.
Different strains will brix higher than others, so when you find the balance and maintain it, you let the genetics shine thru, which is the whole point actually, so if you do the exact same thing every grow but with different strains, you will see different maximums.

Don't get upset if you do a run and they just won't go over 18, and smile like a bandit when you find a strain that will give you a 23.

Just keep doing what your doing and let your stash grow. The brix will be what the plant can give you if you keep showing them the love❤️👊

You caught on to brix quickly. Kinda nice to not have to worry about bugs hey?
Haha thanks and believe me I still worry, just slightly less than before. I still change my clothes and wash my hands before unzipping the tent if I was outside for any reason. Now if I could just kill off these last straggler gnats...
It's amazing how much value you get from a $25 refractometer.

I'm very curious. When measuring VPD it's really important to grab air temp and RH right from the canopy. Even a few inches away and it will start to change.
I will check tonight.
When you say "Pulled the inline fan and filter" did you completely remove them or just relocate them?
I relocated to the outside haha my tent would be unmanageable if I didn't have it. Also my wife would be super mad because they are beginning to be fragrant lol.

So I'm having an issue right at the net where leaves are laying right on top of one another. I'm hoping just remove just enough to not have water puddles on the leaves.

Haha thanks and believe me I still worry, just slightly less than before. I still change my clothes and wash my hands before unzipping the tent if I was outside for any reason. Now if I could just kill off these last straggler gnats...

I will check tonight.

I relocated to the outside haha my tent would be unmanageable if I didn't have it. Also my wife would be super mad because they are beginning to be fragrant lol.
Ok good stuff👊 When you remove a leaf in the light because you have too, make sure that light can strike another leaf below then, so defoliate from the top down, not the bottom up. As long as any leaf catches that light and not the floor, you're good👍

I will check tonight.

If you brew a tea of EWC, molasses, and if you have some kelp toss that in too, it will boost microbial action which will help as gnats themselves aren't really a problem, it's their larvae in the soil that can harm the plants roots, but if the microbes get to eat those larvae it's free food, so it is a part of balance, but in my opinion better if you get rid of them.

That being said, you have really good balance right now so keep that in mind too.

If you brew a tea of EWC, molasses, and if you have some kelp toss that in too, it will boost microbial action which will help as gnats themselves aren't really a problem, it's their larvae in the soil that can harm the plants roots, but if the microbes get to eat those larvae it's free food, so it is a part of balance, but in my opinion better if you get rid of them.

That being said, you have really good balance right now so keep that in mind too.
Lol brew a tea!? I haven't signed up for @Azimuth advanced potions class yet. I'm still trying to get through dry amendments first hahaha.

I do want to get rid of them because no one likes smoking gnats 😂 I think after Weds feed and water there will be a slight dry period and the diatomaceous Earth will spread across the top.

Also mixing in kelp is something I could do more regular if you think it may improve things. I am a little weary about changing up the routine lol.

Lol brew a tea!? I haven't signed up for @Azimuth advanced potions class yet. I'm still trying to get through dry amendments first hahaha.

I do want to get rid of them because no one likes smoking gnats 😂 I think after Weds feed and water there will be a slight dry period and the diatomaceous Earth will spread across the top.

Also mixing in kelp is something I could do more regular if you think it may improve things. I am a little weary about changing up the routine lol.
I agree, your brix are dialed and you need good balance for that. Try the DE 1st. Kelp is a destressor so if I brew a tea I always add some, but it won't help deter gnats. It's for the plants. Upping the microbes will.

If you brew 1 gallon of tea with a gallon of water and 2 teaspoons of unsulphured blackstrap molasses, and 1 teaspoon dried kelp. Bubble that for 24 hours with an airstone, then toss in a quarter cup of EWC and bubble for another 18 hours, then cut it 50/50 with water and water with it, you will boost microbe populations and that may very well be the end of your gnat problem, but I would try the DE 1st.

I don't like to use teas after flip if I can avoid it. Sometimes they burn leaf tips and in flower that sucks.

Tent shot
PXL_20241014_234423461.MP.jpg

PXL_20241014_234533980.jpg

PXL_20241014_234553165.jpg

@Gee64 I busted out the thermal gun and got this. I think it falls pretty close to where it should be at in early flower.
Screenshot_20241014-222451.png

Screenshot_20241014-224506.png
Thats pretty much spot on for early flower. I would say your brix agrees.

The rate of photosynthesis is matching the state of your roots and your making sugars like a bandit.

Good job on paying attention. The gun/VPD solidifies what your gut told you was right👍👊❤️.

As they stretch that 3 degree difference will go to 2. Don't let it get less than 2.

Usually at least once you actually have to turn the light down a smidge during stretch.

Then when you settle in on a constant 2 degree spread you can notch RH lower 1 point at a time until about week 5-6 when you are at 1.4 for leaf VPD.

76F, 74F, and 48 RH. Plug that into your calculator. If you can hit those values at week 5-6 and hold it there til harvest you are golden. It's a great safe sweet spot.

Your meter reading of 1.4 is air VPD. Don't ever let leaf VPD get above air VPD. Bad things will happen. As long as leaf temp is below air temp then leaf VPD is lower than air VPD and you're safe.

Today's view...
PXL_20241017_010545842.MP.jpg

The girls were especially dry today and quite a bit of the undergrowth was wilted while the tops were slightly drooped. The plants have started to consume some of those bottom leaves under the net. It's been saving me the hassle of trying to clip them.

Today was also feeding day. Each girl got the same top dressing of 5 Tbsp of Power Bloom 2-8-4.
Elsa got watered in with 1 gallon of RO with 45 ml of Dolomite water, 5 ml of Neptune's Harvest 2-4-1 and 1/4 tsp of Raw Silica.
Amelia was watered in with 1 gallon of RO with 55 ml of Dolomite water, 5 ml of Neptune's Harvest 2-4-1 and 1/4 tsp of Raw Silica.

Back
Top Bottom