Emmie's 6 Plant, True Living Organic, LED Grow Journal

What an awesome grow!! I didn’t realize we started our grows around the same time! I kept my plants in veg longer, although I think I could have switched them sooner! They are in their second week of flower now! As i’ve been reading, I’m glad you’re liking the 2000w LED’s. I’m wondering if I should get them, and switch them for the lights I have now. I’m using 2 Viparspectra 300w lights with 128v power draw each. I put them 18 in away, as recommended for flower, and top fan leaves started burning. I moved them down to 24, and they were still burning, so now they’re about 32-30 from the tops of the plants. Burning has stopped, and growth is continuing, but I’m curious as to if them being so far away from the lights will affect the yield. Hmmmmmm? Hope all is well! Below are some recent pics :)
Hi Monkey! Your grow looks good too! Your lights sound more powerful than mine. Each of our lights are so different that it is impossible to offer any advice as to what distance to run them. This is one of the advantages of going with the larger companies such as those who sponsor this forum... they have the user base to be able to figure out and publish for us the optimum distances and settings to run them at... with these new name lights we all are just guessing.
I brought my lights down to as low as I could and still have the needed footprint and it doesn't seem to be too much for the plants. While I can get away with it with this 360w light, I doubt I would be able to get as close with one of the bigger lights.
I am making this work, but I can see that these cheap lights are far from optimum. I can see that I am going to get some decent yield, but I have to wonder how much better it could have been with an even better true full spectrum light. I have proven that you can grow on a budget, but that you also get what you pay for. I am looking forward to trying out an even stronger LED light next time with the same wattage, but more and better light. I have become a victim of my own quotes:
If you go cheap you grow cheap! - Zandor

Hi Monkey! Your grow looks good too! Your lights sound more powerful than mine. Each of our lights are so different that it is impossible to offer any advice as to what distance to run them. This is one of the advantages of going with the larger companies such as those who sponsor this forum... they have the user base to be able to figure out and publish for us the optimum distances and settings to run them at... with these new name lights we all are just guessing.
I brought my lights down to as low as I could and still have the needed footprint and it doesn't seem to be too much for the plants. While I can get away with it with this 360w light, I doubt I would be able to get as close with one of the bigger lights.
I am making this work, but I can see that these cheap lights are far from optimum. I can see that I am going to get some decent yield, but I have to wonder how much better it could have been with an even better true full spectrum light. I have proven that you can grow on a budget, but that you also get what you pay for. I am looking forward to trying out an even stronger LED light next time with the same wattage, but more and better light. I have become a victim of my own quotes:
If you go cheap you grow cheap! - Zandor

So, it has been brought to my attention that it might be mildew? Possibly Rust Mildew? I think it could be this, or a cal/mag deficiency, as I’ve never fed the plants cal/mag during feeding. Thoughts? I sprayed with Neem Oil, to help protect. Should I go ahead and remove the damaged/infected leaves, even though I’m in flowering?

I don’t know if you can see it well in these pictures, but here are some references:

Attachments

• 503E40DB-D9E8-47EF-9C5B-4AF570FE6A19.jpeg
    503E40DB-D9E8-47EF-9C5B-4AF570FE6A19.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 187
  • E5676241-FB08-4670-8975-941768849343.jpeg
    E5676241-FB08-4670-8975-941768849343.jpeg
    783.2 KB · Views: 193
  • A9A2AEB8-D0AF-4270-B50F-597D07A83958.jpeg
    A9A2AEB8-D0AF-4270-B50F-597D07A83958.jpeg
    727.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 1847B292-E339-4A4C-B58B-03EEDD3948E2.jpeg
    1847B292-E339-4A4C-B58B-03EEDD3948E2.jpeg
    671.3 KB · Views: 202
  • DED92F15-4018-4495-932E-433DF1638D1D.jpeg
    DED92F15-4018-4495-932E-433DF1638D1D.jpeg
    819.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 3C20FED3-76E1-4DA6-8E4D-CF980AE6E06D.jpeg
    3C20FED3-76E1-4DA6-8E4D-CF980AE6E06D.jpeg
    822.1 KB · Views: 202
So, it has been brought to my attention that it might be mildew? Possibly Rust Mildew? I think this may be right. Thoughts? I sprayed with Neem Oil, to help protect. Should I go ahead and remove the damaged/infected leaves, even though I’m in flowering?
I will look into your journal and see if there is anything I might suggest. I am not sure what would scare me the most, spraying the plants while flowering, removing leaves or spraying and trusting that to get rid of the problem. I hope there are others commenting that have some good experience with this, luckily so far, I do not.

Highya DM,

I don't see any signs of mildew. Just some brown spots on the leaves. Looks like calcium could be a little low. Have you done any troubleshooting with the pictures of diseased plant pictures? We don't know temps, watering schedule, nutes, etc. You have the best opportunity to figure it out. Tell us more, and maybe we can figure it out together. Cheers

At first glance (to me) it appears to be a calcium deficiency, or maybe calcium and magnesium, in wich case you could add some cal/mag product to your feed for the next week or so...then drop to half or even quater strength every other watering til "new growth " stops showing signs of problems. Already damaged leaves will not heal and get better. If you usually pick leaves, then pick them. But id just leave them till the plant doesn't need them anymore. She'll let you know and just eat the resources out of them and drop them when they're all used up.
Also, i run quantum boards now but before that i ran all "blurple " led panels. And at the time used bottled nutes still (supposedly organic) to feed my soil grows and would always have to use cal/mag by Botanicare throughout the grow after about the first two to three weeks of growing in soil because my stems would start to purple up real bad if i didn't, and I'd get rust spots and brown spots like a cal and/or mag deficiency. Or just top dress with some crustastion meal, scatch it in, add a layer of earthworm castings and/or compost on top of that scratch it in lightly again, and water in. Or better yet, water it in with an aact tea (worm tea) with a tablespoon of unsulfured molasses added to it to hopefully feed microbes to promote multiplying. And i think theres calcium and magnesium in the molasses. Whether or not it would be available immediately to your plants...dunno.
Hope that helps. Or maybe some other more experienced growers will chime.

Are you sure it's the light burning them that's a small light and shouldn't be that hot if it is you could have a malfunction in the light does the fans run I'm worried cause I have my 1000 hps open and it's about 24 away with no issues yet I'm testing

I just got 2 of the 2000w was hoping they would replace my hps but I'm don't see it happening but the babies seem to like it so I guess that's all that matters
That's what I thought as well. I've had much much bigger lights within 18" with no issues. That small light should be very safe.

...If you can slow down enough to watch the plants in their various processes, it starts to make sense how they use the light and the darkness to optimize the things they need to do...

I realize this quote is from pretty early in the journal here, but I have some video to visualize what you are describing. I will be planning on creating similar time lapses for this year's grow coming soon...

Today was 2nd Cationic Drench day! It has been 5 days since the last one, and any plants who were slightly drooping are now vigorously anti-wilting after the watering. My plants apparently are not willing to cooperate with what other forums are saying they must do; they are rebels, like me, and refuse to wilt.
As hopeful as I was the night after the first drench and seeing the first frost on the NYCD, I still am not seeing anything that is making me say, oh wow, there is the effect from Doc's Drench. They are building and frosting up fine all over the tent, but still nothing here this early that would be considered a blizzard... at best a freezing mist. I remain hopeful that with this second drench we will see something amazing.
Day 29 of Flower

Hey Em, where can I get info on your banana water concoction as far as what it does and how to make it?
@AngryBird is our local banana concoction expert. I still haven't done a lot of experimenting with it, although every time I have applied it I have seen a corresponding surge.

I am issuing a public protest. :eye-roll:
My housemate has just informed me that I am NOT cooking up more of that smelly stuff [she did not say stuff] in HER kitchen. I wonder when that happened... her kitchen? The things we put up with. I am ordering some calmag, even though my egg recipe is better. Sorry plants... blame her.
I just made another batch of your egg shell cal juice the other day, daughter came home from school, instantly yelled "dad, you made that egg shell crap again!"
I've decided that annoying her made me happy, so we are having eggs this weekend for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's the little pleasures.

Back
Top Bottom