Duggan Does Purple Envy, Star Pupil & Black Cherry Punch With Doc's Gear!

Morning Duggs......catching up on some journals before I fire up the smoker. Gonna smoke 4 racks of baby back ribs today. Hope that the rains coming through aren't too bad, makes this kind of thing a real PITA

Oh no......I am a southern BBQ purest. I smoke em slow and low for about 6 hours at 225 degrees.

I have had ribs that were boiled first and I was surprised they were as good as they were. I think my southern card and my BBQ card would be revoked on me if I ever tried making them though!

My ribs are some seriously good ribs brother. In my mind they are competition worthy, and many friends I have fed them too have urged me to get onto the competition circuit. I have the idea of setting up a rib shack around what we call the "Lakes region" in New Hampshire. They have decent food around the lakes but no BBQ. Just something small and seasonal....make a nice chunk of change in the Summer time and grow giant killer weed the rest of the year. What a life eh??

Sounds yummy Van....do you boil them first to soften them up and partially cook them?
BLASPHEMY!
Oh no......I am a southern BBQ purest. I smoke em slow and low for about 6 hours at 225 degrees.

I have had ribs that were boiled first and I was surprised they were as good as they were. I think my southern card and my BBQ card would be revoked on me if I ever tried making them though!

My ribs are some seriously good ribs brother. In my mind they are competition worthy, and many friends I have fed them too have urged me to get onto the competition circuit. I have the idea of setting up a rib shack around what we call the "Lakes region" in New Hampshire. They have decent food around the lakes but no BBQ. Just something small and seasonal....make a nice chunk of change in the Summer time and grow giant killer weed the rest of the year. What a life eh??
This is the way ribs should always be cooked this way.

Competition cooking sounds fun until you realize how much time it actually takes to compete and win maybe 150$ for first place lol. I don't have the drive to smoke a brisket all night long then get up every hour or so to check it and repeat every week.

BLASPHEMY!

This is the way ribs should always be cooked this way.

Competition cooking sounds fun until you realize how much time it actually takes to compete and win maybe 150$ for first place lol. I don't have the drive to smoke a brisket all night long then get up every hour or so to check it and repeat every week.
Thats why I generally stick to ribs and chicken and sometimes pork butts. If I can't get it done in 15 hours, I am not doing it. All my gear is old school stuff....nothing electric, all manual monitoring so very time consuming and demanding. And its the main reason that I don't really have any desire to do competitions lol. Since I retired from the Corps, I have found I kind of like sleeping normal schedules. Not keen on choosing to deny myself that LOL. So....I cook em to enjoy eating them and having people love my food so much that they bring me ribs to smoke for both of us! Then I don't have to buy anything And still get my ribs LOL!

Thats why I generally stick to ribs and chicken and sometimes pork butts. If I can't get it done in 15 hours, I am not doing it. All my gear is old school stuff....nothing electric, all manual monitoring so very time consuming and demanding. And its the main reason that I don't really have any desire to do competitions lol. Since I retired from the Corps, I have found I kind of like sleeping normal schedules. Not keen on choosing to deny myself that LOL. So....I cook em to enjoy eating them and having people love my food so much that they bring me ribs to smoke for both of us! Then I don't have to buy anything And still get my ribs LOL!

You should try smoking a steak sometime..

I have an excellent chicken brine if your interested. Brine it the night before, chicken is delicious and juicy as hell.
You should try smoking a steak sometime..
I still need to pick up a sous vide is some of the most delicious and consistent style to cook them.

I have an excellent chicken brine if your interested. Brine it the night before, chicken is delicious and juicy as hell.
I still need to pick up a sous vide is some of the most delicious and consistent style to cook them.

Here is another way I have yet to try, cook steaks from frozen.
WHAT!? you say... That is what i said too... here is a quote from the article.

It's just better. That's our personal take after preparing countless steaks ourselves -- but don't take our word for it. Cook's Illustrated senior editor Dan Souza did an experiment with 8 frozen New York Strip steaks, cooking half straight from frozen, and the other half after thawing.

What he discovered was that the frozen steak 1) cooked more evenly, 2) lost less moisture, and 3) -- most importantly -- tasted better.

It also doesn't hurt that cooking from frozen means no wait time. :)

Our recommendation: Let your steak defrost just 2-3 minutes in a pot of cool water so the surface is soft enough to take salt -- no serious thawing needed. Throw that frozen steak right on the hot pan or grill, and cook it two or so minutes per side. Then, to bring the middle of the steak up to medium-rare, pop the steak in the oven at 275F, until the internal temperature reaches 125F.

Mouth is watering now...thanks you guys...pftt!
20180726_152659.jpg
here....ya go Duggs.....about halfway done. Just wrapped.
20180726_152659.jpg

"How I became a Brix weed snob"

Yo Duggs TGIF.
Wanted to post a couple of lines here to say thanks.
Hit this pls.
:passitleft:
When I decided to jump on Doc's Buds kit, you were my daily go to for those 1st couple of runs.

Even with your help I managed to crisp up a few plants and struggle thru a harvest or two.:laugh:

Things have gotten much better these days and I wanted to let the current and future Hi Brixers to know they are in good hands with your tutelage.:bravo:

I don't ask as many questions as I used to.
Cause you laid it down for me to understand and adapt.:reading420magazine:

I still enjoy watching you teach the Hi Brix way.:nomo:
Doc should create an award for your efforts over the past several years.:adore:

I'm a Brix weed snob for life.
You got somethin to do with that is all I'm tryin to say.

These cobs got me man.
Peace.
PS:
I left a keg of Stella on Ice for ya. :surf:

What stage said is exactly how it was for me. Now I’m further away but I’m still watching from a far. Gotta say thanks again and again for all the time taken to answer all the relative questions. I don’t have any Stella but if you wanna make a trip to Vegas next year, I’ll make sure to lace as much as you need!!
Didn't doc say he was replacing the paki with hazelnut cream now?
lol that’s just crazy talk, LP is like one of Doc’s kids .
My mistake. Sure you've answered this a thousand times, how is the paki smoke?
like anything you burn lol, just playing. Better than that Hazelnut imo. But it’s been months since I tried both. I wasn’t a fan of the HC but the paki, well, I’m gonna smoke the last Gram I have today. Feels like the time. This buds for you Doogs. Thinking about you today as my veg is the best it’s ever been and I expect will get better. Cheers

Hi 7, very cool to hear you are doing well. Mare and i were just talkin the other night of a possible trip to V.
Glad to also hear you are growing and things are doing very well. As i have said many times before...finding and using Doc's gear has removed almost all of the guess work for me and now (6 yrs. ago) i strictly grow for yield cuz i know the quality will be there...if i choose to grow the right strains. That's all the fun now , for me , and for many other 'kit' growers,..just trying to find that elusive 'perfect ' strain. I'm pretty sure everyone who is growing , using the 'kit' is absolutely 'assimilated' and very happy with it. Cheers to ya 7....enjoy your night Mr.!:passitleft:

Evening Duggs... Hope you're well sir.:passitleft:

Yes,...everything is Ok...well, you know. Big weekend coming up...took a holiday tomorrow so i can get prepared for my gathering/bbq on Sat. Once a yr. my three sisters and i get together here ..just the four of us ,plus spouses. No kids allowed, even if they are grown up...I /we call it the 'Three Sisters Get Together'...balloons out back , lots of great food , lottsa laughs and fun. Then on Sunday morning...it's harvest time, my buddy shows up at 10 , for a four-five hr. trip...ha..
I like growing and stuff way more than harvesting/trimming! Too much like 'work'...lol.
Anyhow , cheers bud. Thanks for droppin by....and hope you are groovin tonight.:passitleft:

Yes,...everything is Ok...well, you know. Big weekend coming up...took a holiday tomorrow so i can get prepared for my gathering/bbq on Sat. Once a yr. my three sisters and i get together here ..just the four of us ,plus spouses. No kids allowed, even if they are grown up...I /we call it the 'Three Sisters Get Together'...balloons out back , lots of great food , lottsa laughs and fun. Then on Sunday morning...it's harvest time, my buddy shows up at 10 , for a four-five hr. trip...ha..
I like growing and stuff way more than harvesting/trimming! Too much like 'work'...lol.
Anyhow , cheers bud. Thanks for droppin by....and hope you are groovin tonight.:passitleft:
Nice Duggs, that sounds like a lot of fun for you guys... and I sure hope it is!
I agree on the harvesting, my back gets all stiff from sitting still so long. I'm so used to moving all the time... anyway good luck on the harvesting, looking forward to seeing some harvest shots. :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom