Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Good info krip. Have you looked closely for any critters that may be doing the damage?

I don’t thing those seedlings have exhausted the soil. Is this first run soil? Are the pots on concrete, or raised up on something?

I have not looked as closely as I'm going to later today! :D

I haven't seen anything flying, jumping, or crawling and it's an indoor grow in a brand new DIY veg cabinet. However, I did mix the soil outdoors (on a tarp!) and have had it cooking in a well-sealed (new!) gabage bin outide. It's very possible that when I was mixing or cooking, some very small critters managed to make their way in.

:thanks:

Hi Krip! Maybe not what you want to hear but I think they look fine, not perfect but nothing to worry about. Maybe it is what you want to hear...?

:passitleft:

Thanks, WMO! Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about it myself if it wasn't effecting all three plants/strains. Of course, being new to soil and the kit, adds some extra "stress" to the equation! :rofl:

:Namaste:

3 to 4 inch pots are too small to sustain a plant bigger than 4 nodes of growth! It will grow...but slowly ,and will develop nutrient deficiencies.

I would respectfully disagree, my friend, assuming it's maintained properly!

Bonsai Mothers

K

Duggan's right - we're keeping a population of microbes alive and they need room.

I start mine in 16 oz cups and I can go 3-4 weeks before things get out of hand. I'll sometimes lose some lower leaves and I'll get some discoloration, but they'll always hook up. Don't be tempted to try to intervene yet. Here's my current batch of seedlings. They sprouted 13-14 days ago, and they currently have 3 nodes.

In another week or two they'll need to be upcanned into at least 1 gallon pots. How deep are your pots? I'm with Ween - I don't think they look bad - but I'd be concerned about the spots, too, if I were you. That isn't "normal". But I don't think it's something that "requires" intervention. If it progresses in the next week, give them a misting of 1/2 strength DeStress.

[Edit] I see you have the shallow ones. That's as much soil as a solo cup, and yes, Ziggy grew a bunch of quickies in very small pots. It can be done.

Duggan's right - we're keeping a population of microbes alive and they need room.

EXACTLY, Brother! :high-five:

That's why I'm wondering if the kit is appropriate for the Bonsai Mom's or if I'll need to switch to a more conventional/traditional feeding routine. However, the ability to maintain plants in soil in small pots really shouldn't be the discussion since it can be done.

You can do it, but if you're just starting with the kit you're going to struggle with it. I keep plants in half gallon pots when I make seeds, and I've had some great plants.

If you're truly wanting to keep a long term bonsai mom though, you'll want to treat it like a bonsai, where you clean and prune the roots and replant it with fresh soil at least once a year if you're running the kit. Probably more like every 6 months.

I just grow the mother out and keep a clone. You don't have to fuss with a plant that's root bound to death. I find it to be the easiest way to maintain genetics.

IMO, a 4inch pot is too small for anything other than a new seedling or fresh clone...this is just my opinion. No worries Krip,..have a great day would ya.:passitleft:

A seedling, fresh clone OR Bonsai! ;)

Here's one in a 12 oz. cup:

full

Here are a couple in 2L bottles. They could have been kept in smaller containers but, because I was doing hempy, the smaller containers were too light weight and unstable when dry:

full

full

Here's a Pineapple Express mom I had in a 4" pot with soil:

full

For size comparison:

full

Keeping the mom's as Bonsais allows me to maintain the multiple strains in a very small space.

K

Very cool bonsai training Krip...very cool. How often u gotta water?.....every 5-6 hrs..LOL. Nah...just messin bud. They are doing well sir! Enjoy the day ...:passitleft:

Thanks, Brother!

:thanks:

Actually, part of training them as Bonsai's includes pruning the roots every 6-12 months, so they typically need watering every two days just like the rest of my plants. And, when you prune the roots, you're also replenishing part of the soil which replenishes the nutrients.

For those with plenty of space, Bonsai's may be more fun than anything else. But for those of us with lack of space, who want to maintain some good strains and support a perpetual grow (or get into breeding - See The Bonsai Sultan Method: Typological Breeding In Little Space link in my sig!), IMHO, Bonsai is a valuable tool/skill to have in ones inventory!

Hello all, I am planting seeds today and am asking for the amount of transplant to put in per gallon of water to use to drench the new pots before planting. I know it's called 1/4 transplant. I tried darkscotia's summary thread but it's a dead link.

Hey Beamer...how do Mr.? OK,..about the Transplant ...TBH , i don't measure anymore ...just use the one quart bottle 'cap'. I put one of those in with two gal's. water...that's what i call, 1/4 Transplant. With a full dosage , all i use is one of those lil 30ml. plastic medicine cups, that come with liquid cough medicine, etc. I use one of those per two gal's. water.Cheers ...hope this has helped ...:passitleft:

The water ratio is one ounce (29.5 ml) per 5 gallons, so 6ml per gallon.

1/4 would be 1.5ml per gallon. 1-3 ml is fine, too. As Duggs said, it's not an exact thing.

:Namaste::bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom