Derbybud Does CBD Strains In Coco & More

Here is a cool little article i found relating to commercial scale growers.
Rich thanks for sharing that article. I have been wondering how commercial growers handled the curing and storage issue. Glass Jars are just inviting disaster with breakage and moving around. Having made Wine for years, I used to use glass carboys and they were extremely heavy and when one broke a big mess as well as very expensive to replace.

Burping bags in a commercial environment make all the sense in the world. Additionally, my local dispensary is always showing pictures of new shipments in large quantities of bags being held by their staff, so we know they get them that way. Makes sense, after all what would the dispensaries do with all those really big at least one gallon glass jars when empty.

Do those bags look vacuum sealed or at least partially?

Depends on the size of jars your putting buds into but yes and depends on soze if colas too I guess lol
I use 1/2 gallon jars but with the product I'm burping right now that would be about 25 jars filling them a little over half for air space. I like to keep an eye on the rh in them so I'd have to have 25 hydrometers. Ok I'm paranoid about mold. With using the bags I only need 7.(5 in jars and 2 in 2 different bags) I can burp them in less than 30 seconds in bags. Sure they might not be as air tight as the jars but come close. After cure they will go into jars and on the shelf but will be full jars not partial.
To me time is not something I have extra these days and I've been guilty of opening a jar thinking I'll be returning in 10 min. Only to find it a day later still open. Not good! Just saying what works for me and how I'm doing it.

Ok now trim. Some people trim leaving branches together and some take it clean down to the individual buds. 2 different reasons behind this. If you are going to hang dry you might want to leave whole branches. Hang drying consists of an dark area where you would hang the branches by the part of the stem that you clipped from the plant. You don't want the branches to be touching each other or anything else for that matter. You want cooler temps and your RH should be around 45-55%. You need a fan that just circulates the air underneath the hanging fruit. You leave them go for a few days then start to check them daily to see if the smaller stems start to snap. Once they do you remove the buds and start the cure.
The other way to trim is to go directly to individual buds. There you can put them on screens in a dark room with a fan fir a slight breeze. Never having air directed at the buds. Again for looking for a few days in the same environment as above looking for them to start to get kinda crispy on the outside. Once there take a good handful and put them in a jar with a hydrometer. After about an hour check to see what kind of humidity you have in the jar. You should be shooting for 62%. If your close like 65% you could start your cure.
Then we have the low & slow method by doc bud. You really should read it there but I'll give you a quick rundown here. Individual buds are put into paper bags filled about half full to help draw out moisture. Bags are then put in a refrigerator with the temp at 40f and rh at 40% and are usually left slightly open for the first few days and or replaced if really moist. I replace the bags the first few days. Everyday you flip the bags and shake it slightly so the buds fall apart some. Once things start to feel crispy (about 2 weeks) you pull a bag out and dump them into a jar like above and check the rh and if it's above 68% back into the bag and into the frig for a day or 2.
So that's trim and drying now on to the cure.
This is where I'm using the roasting bags. The buds are dry somewhere between 62-68% and dumped all into 1 roasting bag. Daily I open the bag and exchange the stale air with fresh. I do this twice a day for at least the first week then one a day for a week then one a week for at least a month. For the first week or so I put in a hydrometer to keep an eye on my humidity. If high I might dry them some more.
Hope this helps but if not just keep on asking and maybe someone else who stops by can give better details. This part is where you don't want to mess up. You can end up with mold or your nice looking buds might smell like hay. Please do your homework

Gunna Try the Roasting bags today

Do you leave air in the Bags? or do ya Kinda squeeze most of it out?

ATF is in one now, and Blueberry is about to go in

Graciass

Im
I use 1/2 gallon jars but with the product I'm burping right now that would be about 25 jars filling them a little over half for air space. I like to keep an eye on the rh in them so I'd have to have 25 hydrometers. Ok I'm paranoid about mold. With using the bags I only need 7.(5 in jars and 2 in 2 different bags) I can burp them in less than 30 seconds in bags. Sure they might not be as air tight as the jars but come close. After cure they will go into jars and on the shelf but will be full jars not partial.
To me time is not something I have extra these days and I've been guilty of opening a jar thinking I'll be returning in 10 min. Only to find it a day later still open. Not good! Just saying what works for me and how I'm doing it.
not saying your way is wrong i actually agree with what the science is but I’m happy with my jars and I am knowing when they are dry enough to go in jars . That’s is expiernxe and learning to me. That’s all I’m saying bud.

Gunna Try the Roasting bags today

Do you leave air in the Bags? or do ya Kinda squeeze most of it out?

ATF is in one now, and Blueberry is about to go in

Graciass
If the rh is still a bit high I pull the top while closing the bag to make sure there's more air to help lower it. Once I'm sitting on 62% I push most the air out just leaving what's between nugs. I use those clip style paperclips to close them quickly instead of the ones that come with the bags. I keep those for the oven.

If the rh is still a bit high I pull the top while closing the bag to make sure there's more air to help lower it. Once I'm sitting on 62% I push most the air out just leaving what's between nugs. I use those clip style paperclips to close them quickly instead of the ones that come with the bags. I keep those for the oven.
Oooooooooo clips!!!!!

I used a twist tie, clips going on now

Thanks for the info, testing Rh on mine now

Im

not saying your way is wrong i actually agree with what the science is but I’m happy with my jars and I am knowing when they are dry enough to go in jars . That’s is expiernxe and learning to me. That’s all I’m saying bud.
6 half gallon jars are about $15 around here. I need at least 30. I need to spend at least $90. but I bought 2 big bags for $3.80 and it saves me time and things just start to smell nice and even.

jumping in Derby! last posts look awesome!!

I have been meaning to check out your garden for some time but have been busy. I think tis one of those things, our eyes are larger than we have time to chew.

Great news!
I am going into a semi-retirement soon, part time as a grow store operator downriver. We are moving after my next run so 3 months.
Going from an enterprise IT software developer consultant, that took soooo much time, $ in school late in life but I said screw it. I wasn't happy and want my life back. It was fun for a little while just not my IT bag. I like to write applications for devices or embedded systems. Anyway, it's been barren in my little corner here and i'm switching some things up but still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom