Derbybud Does CBD Strains In Coco & More

Ok, so the drying is done in a normal way or in paper bags in the frig. Got it,whew! :thumb: Glad you straightened me out on that part of the process.
Then they can go into the Turkey Bags and put in the frig for a low and slow cure. I'm assuming you could use a bucket or closed cabinet instead of the frig with Boveda in the Turkey Bags, basically replacing jars? If you don't have the frig space. I had already considered the long term storage in the Turkey Bags with a 62% Boveda a possiblity.

Yes, I can see that after all the other efforts of growing, this could be a huge area of disaster for a noob. That's why I'm being very specific and repeating to make sure I'm tracking correctly.

BTW has anyone seen the little humidity smart sensor that Boveda is offering that connects to your phone via an app? Kool!
Just keep repeating as you still aren't on track.
Drying is done numerous ways and I do a sort of hybrid that I'm not going to get into here as we might get more questions than I have time to answer today. Ok you just cut down your prized plant now what to do with it. Trim, dry, cure, enjoy. I'm sorry I'm out of time. I'll be back on later and will elaborate on all of these. Got to go sorry

Drying is done numerous ways and I do a sort of hybrid that I'm not going to get into here as we might get more questions than I have time to answer today. Ok you just cut down your prized plant now what to do with it. Trim, dry, cure, enjoy. I'm sorry I'm out of time. I'll be back on later and will elaborate on all of these. Got to go sorry
Some days I'm just a little more dense than others. Should have had my coffee first before starting to read here. :oops:

There's a thread devoted to the low and slow method of drying if you're interested:
DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Low and slow is done in a frost-free fridge either in paper bags or jars with screening on top instead of lids. In for a week, roll every morning. After a week, put them in a sealed jar and check the RH after an hour. Too high? Back in the fridge for another week. Mid 60s? Jar (or bag) and start burping! Two weeks later, jar (or bag) with B62s for the cure.

Thanks Shed, the link to DrZiggy's Low and Slow Drying will be a bonus I'm sure.

Ok now trim. Some people trim leaving branches together and some take it clean down to the individual buds. 2 different reasons behind this. If you are going to hang dry you might want to leave whole branches. Hang drying consists of an dark area where you would hang the branches by the part of the stem that you clipped from the plant. You don't want the branches to be touching each other or anything else for that matter. You want cooler temps and your RH should be around 45-55%. You need a fan that just circulates the air underneath the hanging fruit. You leave them go for a few days then start to check them daily to see if the smaller stems start to snap. Once they do you remove the buds and start the cure.
The other way to trim is to go directly to individual buds. There you can put them on screens in a dark room with a fan fir a slight breeze. Never having air directed at the buds. Again for looking for a few days in the same environment as above looking for them to start to get kinda crispy on the outside. Once there take a good handful and put them in a jar with a hydrometer. After about an hour check to see what kind of humidity you have in the jar. You should be shooting for 62%. If your close like 65% you could start your cure.
Then we have the low & slow method by doc bud. You really should read it there but I'll give you a quick rundown here. Individual buds are put into paper bags filled about half full to help draw out moisture. Bags are then put in a refrigerator with the temp at 40f and rh at 40% and are usually left slightly open for the first few days and or replaced if really moist. I replace the bags the first few days. Everyday you flip the bags and shake it slightly so the buds fall apart some. Once things start to feel crispy (about 2 weeks) you pull a bag out and dump them into a jar like above and check the rh and if it's above 68% back into the bag and into the frig for a day or 2.
So that's trim and drying now on to the cure.
This is where I'm using the roasting bags. The buds are dry somewhere between 62-68% and dumped all into 1 roasting bag. Daily I open the bag and exchange the stale air with fresh. I do this twice a day for at least the first week then one a day for a week then one a week for at least a month. For the first week or so I put in a hydrometer to keep an eye on my humidity. If high I might dry them some more.
Hope this helps but if not just keep on asking and maybe someone else who stops by can give better details. This part is where you don't want to mess up. You can end up with mold or your nice looking buds might smell like hay. Please do your homework

It sure is. Did all that jabbering make sense? I'm not a very good writer that's why I ask
Yes, I pretty much all caught up and understanding the process. Thanks indeed!

Rich, please keep me posted on your progress with research on Turkey Bags and Curing, it really appeals to me for it's simplicity.
Never even heard of this hmmm

Hey BTZ. Im about a month or so from harvest but DB has been playing mad scientist. Here is an update he sent me in pm.

I'm sold and will be buying some bags and a food grade bucket for harvest. It's an old school way of curing but idk why jars become the go to.
I think it is because they advise air tight jars for better results in starving them from oxygen? Only real explaination I can think of ?

I'm not saying bags are better then jars or vice versa and I don't know the science behind it but everyone I've talked to that uses bags swears by them. I can't wait to try it out for myself, I'm wondering if people went to glass because that's how the dispensaries store their product for sale? The bud is most likely sold to dispensaries in a bag and put in the jars for appeal. I can't imagine a full scale grower burping jars :rofl:I did read that static from plastic can pull off trichs but I always had kief in my jars too. Nothing a little iso can't fix. The bags though are marketed as able to hold smells in so I'm wondering how breathable they really are.

Here is a cool little article i found relating to commercial scale growers.

After seeing this im now questioning if i need a food grade bucket. Not sure if smells will transfer to buds or not.
Makes sense to me really what your saying I think sure for commercial purposes big harvesting jobs sure more convenient for sure but I think for me and a lb or two a grow once a year I can get away with jars . However, great info if I ever start getting good numbers and one day need to find more easier efficient/time consuming ways .

Thanks for the read @Rich Farmer

So Joe if you have a lb or 2 of product how many jars is that in that you need to burp? And how long does it take to burp those twice a day? I'm burping over 20 zips in about a minute or 2. Done. I'm not going to store in them but to cure it's great.
Are we doing math questions now

It's too early, I'm on my 1st cup of coffee still:hmmmm:

So Joe if you have a lb or 2 of product how many jars is that in that you need to burp? And how long does it take to burp those twice a day? I'm burping over 20 zips in about a minute or 2. Done. I'm not going to store in them but to cure it's great.
Depends on the size of jars your putting buds into but yes and depends on soze if colas too I guess lol

Back
Top Bottom