Carmen you got me excited to germinate some seeds and grow some plants.
🎉 That's excellent news Old G! I can't wait to see!

Carmen your definitely stressing too much, this is how we have fun . After 3 years of growing I got a good method that worked for me. I liked 3-5 gallon fabric pots although I do wanna try some new methods. After 6 weeks I watered every other day at least a gallon it seemed to flush out excess nutes and my plants grew nicely, mind you I’m an auto flower grower, definitely a different beast than the regular growers. I used geoflora and I really never had a problem, hey I wasn’t growing massive plants but I grew 4-5 oz plants, Carmen once you get this your gonna kill it, your so passionate about growing that’s why I’m gonna plant some this week you got me excited.
:passitleft:
I’ll never match your passion only women have that passion with plants, no disrespect guys, look at Krissis gardens, just outstanding
Aw, you're so sweet Old G, passion is a better word than obsession :laugh: Krissi has a magic touch! :green_heart:

In terms of the calmag, I would use it every time you water. Trying to rely on whatever was built into the soil for calcium while telling the plant to use the synthetics for the rest doesn't seem like the best approach. I would ignore the alleged water-only soil for this plant for the rest of the grow and consider it a nute-fed plant. And because there is hardly any calcium or magnesium in what you're feeding it, go with the calmag.

In terms of the calmag, I would use it every time you water. Trying to rely on whatever was built into the soil for calcium while telling the plant to use the synthetics for the rest doesn't seem like the best approach. I would ignore the alleged water-only soil for this plant for the rest of the grow and consider it a nute-fed plant. And because there is hardly any calcium or magnesium in what you're feeding it, go with the calmag.
Ok. The Nourish is given every 14 days. So in the meanwhile I give calmag and water? Does that sound right, Shed?

We're gonna need a list!
I'd look for the "constant" I'd assume there is one box that everyone has in common. Too many similarities for it to be a random event IMO

All true but hard to find a constant if we don't know who's on your list! ;)
Not my style to call out a grower who is going thru a rough patch. But I'd be willing to bet you're following them all.
✌️

It's not calling out a grower to point out they have yellowing leaves (I'm sure they know!). But how is anyone to answer your question about finding a constant if we can't look at the similarity or differences between the grows?
The constant I see is that everyone is trying to wick up nutrients or bottom feed. Re-inventing the wheel & pushing the limits.

I understand the need to innovate & move forward, but also think people misunderstand the hurdles that come with that.

The reason I keep my grow basic and simple as possible is because I've been that guy who tries all the "out of bounds" shit.... it failed or caused issues 90% of the time.

The constant I see is that everyone is trying to wick up nutrients or bottom feed. Re-inventing the wheel & pushing the limits.

I understand the need to innovate & move forward, but also think people misunderstand the hurdles that come with that.

The reason I keep my grow basic and simple as possible is because I've been that guy who tries all the "out of bounds" shit.... it failed or caused issues 90% of the time.
Oh okay, that was a bit of a struggle to get out of you but definitely worth in in the end. :thumb:

If you're under threat of dankruptcy (you're the first person I ever heard use that word!) then not changing up a grow style makes sense. I did it because bottom watering looked like an interesting way to grow though it didn't change the work involved for me. Carmen has her own reasons for going to the SWICK which she can explain here. But if you look at the SIP thread there are a lot of folks doing it successfully without yellowing, which is why others are giving it a try. It probably wouldn't have taken off if it made for sickly looking plants.

If my yellowing was a result of a 100Âş reservoir in the sun (and a synthetic nute grow) it certainly doesn't relate to Carmen's LOS grow that's not baked by the sun. It is possible that the bottom fed roots are more susceptible to issues, but like I said, lots of folks are doing it well.

Not all coco growers using Dyna-grow have your success nor all folks in DWC with MC have plants that turn out like West Hippie's. I felt comfortable changing up my 7 gallon GeoPots to see what would happen since I have enough experience and support here to figure out how to turn it around. If I only grew autos though I doubt I'd have tried it. It took almost a month to get my Grandpa's Moonshine ready to flip after coming out of the SIP.

I'm not sure I'll stick with bottom watering given how I grow (outside) but BeezLuiz, seems to be committed to doing it again next year, applying whatever lessons he learns this grow.

Oh okay, that was a bit of a struggle to get out of you but definitely worth in in the end. :thumb:

If you're under threat of dankruptcy (you're the first person I ever heard use that word!) then not changing up a grow style makes sense. I did it because bottom watering looked like an interesting way to grow though it didn't change the work involved for me. Carmen has her own reasons for going to the SWICK which she can explain here. But if you look at the SIP thread there are a lot of folks doing it successfully without yellowing, which is why others are giving it a try. It probably wouldn't have taken off if it made for sickly looking plants.

If my yellowing was a result of a 100Âş reservoir in the sun (and a synthetic nute grow) it certainly doesn't relate to Carmen's LOS grow that's not baked by the sun. It is possible that the bottom fed roots are more susceptible to issues, but like I said, lots of folks are doing it well.

Not all coco growers using Dyna-grow have your success nor all folks in DWC with MC have plants that turn out like West Hippie's. I felt comfortable changing up my 7 gallon GeoPots to see what would happen since I have enough experience and support here to figure out how to turn it around. If I only grew autos though I doubt I'd have tried it. It took almost a month to get my Grandpa's Moonshine ready to flip after coming out of the SIP.

I'm not sure I'll stick with bottom watering given how I grow (outside) but BeezLuiz seems to be committed to doing it again next year, applying whatever lessons he learns this grow.
I understand that different people have different results. I'm just pointing out the only constant I've noticed.

My best guess would be that using swick/bottom feeding trains the roots accordingly.
Then when a grower noticing a deficiency, they try to top feed; but the roots aren't seeing those nutrients
Why is the switch to top-feeding the first response.... because that's what works

Just my opinion.

I had a sound reason for trying it. I wanted to leave the plants for days at a time, so that I could visit friends, and my first swick grow did allow for that! I'm disappointed that it didn't work the way I had hoped. I see others who swick with success but it involves top watering / top dressing and I can't see what the benefit is to me. I'm tired of issues and I want a trouble free grow next time around.

I understand that different people have different results. I'm just pointing out the only constant I've noticed.
Yellowing is something folks can struggle with in a grow of any type, so bottom watered grows aren't really different in that way. And like you said, the solution for a failing SWICK might be top watering because the bottom roots aren't doing their job for one reason (no nutes near the water roots for LOS, water too hot in the sun for a synthetic grow). Similarly, adding calmag is something coco growers learn to do because of the nature of that medium.
My best guess would be that using swick/bottom feeding trains the roots accordingly.
Then when a grower noticing a deficiency, they try to top feed; but the roots aren't seeing those nutrients
Why is the switch to top-feeding the first response.... because that's what works
It does work eventually for a bottom fed grow, but so many bottom-fed grows work well that growth issues are a bug, not a feature.

I had a sound reason for trying it. I wanted to leave the plants for days at a time, so that I could visit friends, and my first swick grow did allow for that! I'm disappointed that it didn't work the way I had hoped. I see others who swick with success but it involves top watering / top dressing and I can't see what the benefit is to me. I'm tired of issues and I want a trouble free grow next time around.
Innovation is right around the corner.... FOR EVERYTHING. I never want to point out problems, I'm actually sorry I dropped all that crap in your journal.

Honestly sorry for that. :passitleft:

I've been away from the Mag for a few years & just noticed trends when I came back. When I saw multiple ppl having the same issue, I picked up on similarities.

Never meant to offend anyone...

POST FLUSH REPORT BACK AND FLOWER PICS
I'm pleased to report that the flush seems to have helped both plants. Here are pics of their leaves raised in the air. The Parmesan is still not praying properly but the leaves are raised.
Not even trying to be a dick here....

Is it possible that the rebound was because the nutrients were finally flushed down to the roots?

I think that may be the ticket.... top-feed nutrients to a solid runoff, so they make it all the way south.

Never meant to offend anyone...
And I, personally, hope you didn't.

You were just being observant and honest, and that's a good thing. :)

Shed you were having yellowing before the SIP anyway, weren’t you? Did you ever figure out which grow it started on?

My guess for a little while has been high res temps - which obviously isn’t an issue for Carmen. What about hempy btw Carmen for next time?

Nick

Back
Top Bottom