Canuckgal's Struggling 400w Coco Closet Grow

re: Canuckgal's Struggling 400w Coco Closet Grow

I think that this will be quite interesting to see what you come up with in regards to this experiment. I do not believe that it would be harmful in any way.....this one that grew x%, what did they compare it to? I am somewhat skeptical only because I know the individuality of plants and one could be super healthy and vigorous and another could be not quite so vigorous. Good thinking Canuckgal and I am certainly interested to see your results.

:peace:

Ok quick edit.....I have read that this may not at all be a good idea. Just wanted to say please do not feed this to your plants until someone more knowledgeable than me answers. Something about carboxylic acid.....maybe not such a good idea.

:peace:

PS I think I found what you maybe had read about it, seems interesting and the numbers appear legit....170% growth compared to 67% for regular water. Very interesting, I personally would wait and learn the method of action and breakdown from someone who may have experience in that but at least it does not "appear" harmful.

i cant really comment on watering the plants with fizzy water, but as long as the water is just water and carbon and no sugar or additives then you can use it as a foliar fed, i cant see it making a huge amount of difference but it would do slightly more than regular water, i would not water the soil with it though, id use it as a spray so that the carbon is released around the leaves, cuz when you spray it it would be fizzy, so this would then release the carbon in the water and the leaves would take this in, im not sure how it would affect the plant if it was put in the soil or growing medium so i cant comment, maybe someone else can, if it would improve the grow then id give it a try myself, but the roots need oxygen not co2, the leaves take the co2 and produce oxygen, but i do know that roots prefer oxygen and this is what keeps the roots healthy, so im not sure how co2 would affect the roots or the plant if it was fed via soil or other mediums, but i think spraying the plant would be more of a benefit, how ever having water on the leaves when the lights are on can and does burn the leaves and or buds, i know cuz i done it to one of my plants, and as these plants only take co2 with the lights on then i can see it been a problem, unless the lights where raised or the plants moved far enough from the lights to stop the plants getting burned, then put them back under the lights when its dry.

ill try and find out if it can be fed with fizzy water, ill let you know what i find out, as i spray i have heard people giving it a try, but as a feed for the roots im not sure and not come across that method, ill have a look around, if it does make a difference then i would try it, i might even get a bottle just to give it a try, worse case i lose a plant, but it might improve the grow, ill pick a bottle up when i go shopping tomorrow and give it to one of my plants im not to bothered about losing, im sure ill soon find out if its good or not, the problem is the water loses its fizz pretty quick so most of the carbon would be released into the grow room and onto the floor, so not sure how much would reach the roots or even if the roots would benefit from it

After my research, it looks like foliar feeding is the way to go. I might just scrap this and install a home made CO2 unit with yeast again, I know that works.

Plants absorb co2 through their leaves and not their roots, so watering with fizzy water doesn't do too much, positive or negative, it's pretty much just at status quo

How's things ya Canuck? Coco treating you ok?

Hey thanks for checking in! Coco seems alright, it's different because it relies 100% on me as the coco itself has nothing in it, nute wise. I think I may be seeing some calcium deficiency as QueenTokeLove experienced too. It seems like a common issue with coco grows, so I'm not too surprised.

But coco is clean, easy to flush, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a new medium.

Hi Canuck Gal!

I use coco for some of my moms (all until recently) and it is a wonderful soilless medium. It does tend to dry out pretty quickly, but that can be a good thing in some ways too (less risk of overwatering). I prefer to use a Cal/Mag supplement (calcium and magnesium) for coco coir with every feeding, at 5ml per gallon. Not every plant seems to require this, but they all seem to like it. You are correct that they need feeding every watering (though I'd do a straight water feeding with run-off periodically to keep nutrient salts from building up too much. Good luck, and let me know if you ever have any questions that I can help with.

:goodluck: with the grow! :)

Wow thanks so much for the help, on my next day off I might check out my local hydro store to see how much a bottle of cal-mag is, I guess as long as its under $20 it'll be all good.

I was reading the news, and I saw this article about a woman who was pulled over after smoking MJ, and she was charged with impaired driving. It went to court, and the just dismissed the case, saying she wasn't impaired.
Pot-smoking driver in Saskatoon deemed not impaired - Saskatchewan - CBC News

Hey I'm still around, I still can't figure out how to upload pictures through here, I can do one at a time, but it takes forreeevvveerrr

The plant that I gave the carbonated to, seems to have started branches on the lower part of the stem, I have pics!

Yea I only expect to have two full grown plants, these are bag seed, so I don't know if it'll be from or not.

I've heard a lot of good things about coco, I've just read about it in passing, but when I found out it was only $10 per bag, I was like pffft, Id be stupid not to! So really I just bought it on a whim while I was shopping for a new pipe lol.

Lol sounds like my garden shopping.

The other day I was at home depot. and they had 40 pounds of gypsum for 4 bucks... I didnt really need any gypsum at the time but considering that bag is normally like 30 bucks even online. I figured why not :D.

I'm ok having big plants, Id like 3-4 feet, they seem too small to switch them over now, Im planning on putting a scrog up, so I need way more bush (hah that's what she said).

What do you guys think?

I think I really hate it when she says that :(.

Hey I'm still around, I still can't figure out how to upload pictures through here, I can do one at a time, but it takes forreeevvveerrr

The plant that I gave the carbonated to, seems to have started branches on the lower part of the stem, I have pics!

Click the gallery tab which is at the top of each web page and to the left. Then in the new page look to your far right and you will see upload photos. Then just hit the browse buttons on the right to find pics that are stored on your hardrive. Once you have found them all scroll down a little bit and hit "Upload/Submit". After that you should get to another page where you can add comments to your photos. If you don't want to then just scroll done and hit the "Process" button.

I think I really hate it when she says that :(.

Hahaha! Bush on the plants! Not me!

I'm at 54% loaded!! Pics soooon!

Ahah! Here we go! Thanks for being so patient!

Heres the plants, some of these pics were taken about a week ago and have some heat stress still. I've done some construction to help with airflow and have been able to cool it down significantly. Now high temp is around 95, with avg around 85
IMG_006821.JPG
IMG_006919.JPG
IMG_007022.JPG
IMG_007115.JPG

And here is my home made scrog, typical Canadian, built out of hockey sticks.
IMG_007215.JPG

Unfortunately I forgot that there's a wall in the way, and I cant fit the whole thing in. Not a big deal though, I just took the legs off, and I'll have to borrow a friends power drill to mount it on the wall.
IMG_007317.JPG

Here's the plant that I was giving carbonated water. Look at the stem, its weird, little leaves are growing on it, so I wonder if they will grow longer stems, and this will be a teapot of a plant (short and stout). I'm going to continue watering this plant once per weed with the carbonated water and the rest is water+nutes. I keep meaning to start keeping a paper journal on what I'm doing to all the plants everyday. But thats what this is for, isnt it? lol

IMG_008126.JPG
IMG_008226.JPG
IMG_008522.JPG

LMAOOOOOOOOO

Are those hockey sticks that you used to make the scrog screen out of?

Typical Canucks :D

Back
Top Bottom