Bud's Does A SIP Featuring The ViparSpectra KS5000

Absolutely incredible mate, what a clean build and design.

Really looking forward to seeing what you produce in that bad boy!

Now that's a proper DIY build! Well done. :thumb:

The only thing I would change is to make a few holes or even slits with your flat tip to the soldering iron at the very base (former top) of the internal piece. With soil added above I'd imagine that lower rim will seal pretty well against the bottom and you'll lose access to the very last bit of water should your external res run dry. But, assuming you are vigilant about keeping it filled that wouldn't be an issue.

I'm trying to think of a good way to test it so I know the Float is working. But I'd have to fill it with soil to create the seal for the internal res. to check it. I'd hate to have water sitting in the res. for 2 weeks before I even up-pot the plant to the SIP so not really sure how to test it before hand.
I don't follow about the soil 'seal' for the test as with the air gap you have there shouldn't be any air tight seal. You should be able to add water to the external res and see how it flows, and more importantly how it stops flowing and nothing leaks out of the outer container.

The only thing the soil will do is fill in the gaps around the internal res and get saturated, but nothing's under vacuum or pressure that I can see, which of course you wouldn't want anyway.

I believe the wooden skewer will saturate and with water liking gravity this will eventually fill the ping pong ball. Maybe, maybe not only a little time will tell.
I don't follow this concern unless the ball gets submerged, but theoretically it will float maybe half way submerged and therefore the skewer would stay dry since you never add water down the "fill" tube.

You could use a couple of plastic straws as your 'stake' as an alternative.

Brilliant build Buds! That water cutout device is something I can use in my ro water barrel! I'm putting the ro hose in and walking away a couple of times a year making small floods! That's going to be a good addition to my grow! Thanks! I gotta go find one!
The 10 packs on Zon are either $60 or $70. Can't remember. Me & a buddy went in 1/2 since we both only needed a couple of them.

I don't follow about the soil 'seal' for the test as with the air gap you have there shouldn't be any air tight seal. You should be able to add water to the external res and see how it flows, and more importantly how it stops flowing and nothing leaks out of the outer container.

The only thing the soil will do is fill in the gaps around the internal res and get saturated, but nothing's under vacuum or pressure that I can see, which of course you wouldn't want anyway.
I would think without soil around the internal res the water will just fill the entire bin till the float cuts off or the water might even make the res float & raise the water level even higher. Something has to keep the internal res in place & keep the water from just pouring out all the holes around the bottom of the res. I know some water still goes through. But not at the rate it would with soil around the res. Guess I could set a brick on top the res. & just fill the bottom of the whole bin until the float cuts off.
Someone posted Octopot instructions which mentioned the soil creating a seal around the res. That's the seal I'm talking about.

Now that's a proper DIY build! Well done. :thumb:

The only thing I would change is to make a few holes or even slits with your flat tip to the soldering iron at the very base (former top) of the internal piece. With soil added above I'd imagine that lower rim will seal pretty well against the bottom and you'll lose access to the very last bit of water should your external res run dry. But, assuming you are vigilant about keeping it filled that wouldn't be an issue.

I don't follow this concern unless the ball gets submerged, but theoretically it will float maybe half way submerged and therefore the skewer would stay dry since you never add water down the "fill" tube.

You could use a couple of plastic straws as your 'stake' as an alternative.
I was actually thinking the wooden stick could get water logged & be too heavy. True, the Fill Tube is just back up in case the float messes up & I have to disconnect the External res.

I would think without soil around the internal res the water will just fill the entire bin till the float cuts off or the water might even make the res float & raise the water level even higher. Something has to keep the internal res in place & keep the water from just pouring out all the holes around the bottom of the res. I know some water still goes through. But not at the rate it would with soil around the res. Guess I could set a brick on top the res. & just fill the bottom of the whole bin until the float cuts off.
Someone posted Octopot instructions which mentioned the soil creating a seal around the res. That's the seal I'm talking about.
But isn't the water flow what you want to test? That and leaks? You already know the holes will let the water out into the soil. Maybe put a brick or weight of some sort on the reservoir container to hold it down. And I see that container as really just making a void in the soil for the water and air, so it doesn't have to be sealed in any way. With small enough holes very little soil will get into the reservoir and what does make it in there really doesn't much matter at all.

I was actually thinking the wooden stick could get water logged & be too heavy. True, the Fill Tube is just back up in case the float messes up & I have to disconnect the External res.
How would the stick get water logged, does the ping pong ball sit below the waterline?

But isn't the water flow what you want to test? That and leaks? You already know the holes will let the water out into the soil. Maybe put a brick or weight of some sort on the reservoir container to hold it down. And I see that container as really just making a void in the soil for the water and air, so it doesn't have to be sealed in any way. With small enough holes very little soil will get into the reservoir and what does make it in there really doesn't much matter at all.
Yes, I want to test all those things. I'll probably do it later today. I think it will work well, but never can tell until you try it.

How would the stick get water logged, does the ping pong ball sit below the waterline?
It really shouldn't unless the water from the fill hose hits it while it's filling the first time. After that the ball should be floating above the water. The only real way it could get logged is if the float quits working & I have to use the fill tube.

It really shouldn't unless the water from the fill hose hits it while it's filling the first time. After that the ball should be floating above the water. The only real way it could get logged is if the float quits working & I have to use the fill tube.
Sure but then you could pull the float out to get it out of the way while you pour.

Sure but then you could pull the float out to get it out of the way while you pour.
I put the fill tube on the opposite side of the float just in case of that. All I have to do is disconnect the hose from the external res & put a plug in it. Then solve the issue next grow.
Oh, I think you mean the level indicator stick. Not the float.... lol.

Next I installed my Float Device. This requires drilling the 5/8th hole for installation. Be sure to Debur your holes with a Razor or something to ensure I tight leakproof fit.
8.JPG
9.JPG

I made sure my Float would not hit the Top of the res. & stay open allowing the water to keep running. I left about a 1/4" or so gap between the Top of the Res & the Top Of the Float.
10.JPG
11.JPG

After that, I drilled my 1/2" Hole for the Drain / Overflow Hole Fitting. I drilled this according to the instructions that came with the Float. The Drain Hole is about 1/4" higher than the Float Hole I drilled. Doesn't look like it in the pics; but it is.
12.JPG

Install the Drain Fitting like so.
13.JPG
14.JPG

Then I made my slits in the Top with the Flat Tip of the Soldering Iron & the Round Holes along the bottom with the Round Tip. Cleaned up the excess melted plastic the best I could with a razor.
15.JPG
16.JPG

I measured & only needed 2" of Drain Hose to connect the Internal Res to the SIP Grow Bin; so I cut off the 2" piece & connected it.
17.JPG
That SIP is badass! Nice work! Have a great weekend! :hookah: Ward

Buds I'm not wired to easily understand "building stuff," but your explanation (without interruptions) was easily understood! Great job describing your process and the "whys".

Not only that, but if I'm correct in my assumption about how this is going to work with the external res, then this may qualify as the ULTIMATE Lazy Man's grow method!!!:yahoo:

I will be forwarding your write-up to the National Lazy Man's Association for their consideration.

You're welcome. :Rasta:

Not only that, but if I'm correct in my assumption about how this is going to work with the external res, then this may qualify as the ULTIMATE Lazy Man's grow method!!!:yahoo:
Sure hope you're right about it being the lazy man's way. I like that idea.
Guess you see what the Ping Pong Ball was for.

Sure hope you're right about it being the lazy man's way. I like that idea.
Guess you see what the Ping Pong Ball was for.
Yup! I forgot to mention that! :Rasta:

Amazing and clean build Buds! And nice clear pics showing how it's all done. Excellent pictorial. :thumb:

I might have missed it but are there holes in the sides of the upside down tub? If not, where does the soil make contact with the water below the air gap?

[Edit: nmind, just saw the holes at the very bottom.]
I made my Tube go all the way to the bottom of the res. so the Ping Pong Ball Level Indicator would not get stuck under it. That's the reason for all the holes in the Fill Tube.
Brilliant thinking!
I also used a Sink Drain Screen at the Top of my Fill Tube with a hole in the center of it to guide the Level Indicator.
Another great idea! Is the ping pong ball gauge just to make sure the float is working?
Guess I could set a brick on top the res. & just fill the bottom of the whole bin until the float cuts off.
My first thought was bowling ball but I guess a brick works too :cheesygrinsmiley:

This is the basic design I tried to follow, but using floats. You'll notice it says the insert seals to the bucket. This is the seal I'm talking about. Probably not all that much of a seal really.
That "seal" is mainly to keep most of the soil out of the reservoir not for any vacuum or pressure reason. With the GroBucket inserts the water mostly seeps out the bottom through the tiny ridges molded into the base so there's really no true seal per se. The insert is held up against the bucket side by the soil. One could accomplish the same thing with a cloth-type filter I imagine.

In any event, great job on the build. And yes I should have referred to the float in another way to differentiate it from the float controlling the flow of water.

Back
Top Bottom