Amy Gardner’s High Brix Dreams

Yay for packages coming to make thing with :) that’s honestly one of my favourite things. Maybe I should take up model plane making :hmmmm: ... but the glues, she ponders, probably not. It was fun thinking about it for a minute though :battingeyelashes:

Have a great time with it Blacksmith, and make sure you come back and share the blinding results!

E414B9A5-1ACF-415B-ABA4-4ED55D68AACB.jpeg

It’s running in this pic, but it wasn’t on for long. Totally unnecessary :yahoo:

So hey, we were talking about strip lightin and such recently. I was just over at the LED build thread that I haven’t checked in on for couple of months and I landed on this beauty... well worth checking out :thumb:

Build Your Own LED Grow Light

Thanks for the kind words and glad I could inspire others @Blacksmith . Wish I would have still had my chop saw for cutting the frame material. Had to use a hack saw and miter box. The corners could be a little more square. It probably took me 6 hours to build. If I built another I could probably cut the time in half with the experience of building the first.

Great mornin to ya Amy.
Ya...about the bloom times....wait until they have about a month or so left ...then start reducing the day ok. So after bloom is about 1/2 done in 12/12....switch right to 11/13 and every week or two ,take another 1/2 hour off until it gets down to 10 /14 with about 2 weeks to go. Doing this will help bring any Sativa traits out as well as helping to finish her nice......cheers and have a nice day .:passitleft:

Dang! I was a full 8 pages back. It has been a busy week. I was so enthralled with the pages that I missed my stop and had to get a connection back to the apartment. :rofl:

Amy.... the tutorials are golden. :high-five: Made me feel such pride welling up. :hug: We need another phone call girl. :battingeyelashes:

It’s funny you know, I dont set out with the sole purpose or intention of being “educational”. All i’m doing is sharing my process and the journey of doing stuff and often (usually) that involves me learning stuff, so that’s what comes through i guess... But really, it’s just that I want to share every detail of what I do that is related to growing cannabis, and not many people in real life really care much about it so it all comes out here!!
:rollit:

This is the energy that drives this wonderful forum. We get such joy from sharing what we’re playing with. I put together those lengthy tutorials and I know the effort that goes into them. It generated more respect considering how you’re forced to pace yourself.

Oh! Kudos for finding a more gentle way to think of the illness. Soften it any way you can so you can feel good about it. Those joyful feelings are helping you heal. :hug:

Just as well I edited it then... there were feet AND other stuff in there before :rofl:

Great evenin to ya Duggs :ganjamon:

Been there. :rofl: Thank God for mods. I was bad in the. Eginning about remembering I have mirrors everywhere, and I don’t always garden fully clothed. Lol!

Sit next to me so I can copy your notes!

Notes..... I have lots of notes and that’s the second time today I’ve thought about them.

Hey, what glasses did you get - my gosh I need some!

You know what? I’ll ask Dan and get back to you. I just shot him a text. :battingeyelashes:

Woot woot! We have lift-off! Was there ever a “relief” emoji? I’d be using it now... :) ... everything works, including the plant ... phew!

Haha! I know that feeling. Lol!

Welcome little dreamer. :love:

Amy, looks like ya got things under control. best thing , like Gray hinted too:passitleft:.just let her grow, leave her alone.
Your enviro is fine...she will surprise you .
About your photoperiod,...imo, it's way better to run your system at night,..makes more sense cuz of electricity costs, stealth , and cooler temps. Plus, i like being home at night with the lights and everything on , rather than at work , worrying if all is ok,..ya know..Also a suggestion for your light cyles,...ive been using 16/8 for growth and 12/12 to start bloom with a decrease down to 10/14 to finish. Just sayin ok.. Anyhow , enjoy the night Amy.

I think about running lights in the tents at night, but it’s also my bedroom and I vent into the room. I suspect I’d find it uncomfortable for sleep, since I need to air-condition. I prefer to sleep without the air on.

And thank you Duggan for your thoughts on lighting scheduling. I like the way you laid it all out in that other post. I’ll study that closer. I’m all about bringing sativa traits out.

Whew! Amy I’ll put this journal in the “Check Daily” slot. You move faster than I do. :rofl:

Yay milady and top o the morning to you.....:high-five:
And to you Smeegs It’s a new morning since you were here... so wherever your morning is happening I wish you the top of it :)
Thanks for the kind words and glad I could inspire others @Blacksmith . Wish I would have still had my chop saw for cutting the frame material. Had to use a hack saw and miter box. The corners could be a little more square. It probably took me 6 hours to build. If I built another I could probably cut the time in half with the experience of building the first.

Cheers farside, and :welcome:

Gee cutting it all with hack saw and mitre box is a feat. We discussed that at one point and that’s what drove me to see about getting some cut to size. The supplier is 10mins down the highway and when you’re regional that’s like the corner store! I’ll aleays just get stuff pre-cut now :thumb: Their machines make nice clean edges too! 6 hours is pretty quick, esp for the first build. I have no idea how many actual build hours... it’s impossible to keeep track of when you’re doing a minute or 5 here n there :battingeyelashes:

I’ll look forward to seeing the next one you build.

and I know the effort that goes into them. It generated more respect considering how you’re forced to pace yourself.

Oh! Kudos for finding a more gentle way to think of the illness. Soften it any way you can so you can feel good about it. Those joyful feelings are helping you heal. :hug:

Getting there! It fluctuates so much in terms of feeling ill that the pacing is challenging - hard to find consistency but I’m making peace with the seeming randomness. Honestly, I can do all of this because it’s the only thing I’m doing :) (my health team might say it’s too much, but it’s keeping me super happy and motivated and you can’t buy that!!

You know what? I’ll ask Dan and get back to you. I just shot him a text. :battingeyelashes:
That’d be great. A recommendation on something good for the white of the QBs. I have my Mars ones, but they’re green. I’m thinking I might just get a pair of wrap around UV Rated and polarised dark glasses from the chemist. I’m interested to hear Dans recommendation :thumb:
Whew! Amy I’ll put this journal in the “Check Daily” slot. You move faster than I do. :rofl:
I know - it snowballed on me Sue! But once I get these little set-up projects done and dusted I’m hoping it will settle down a bit :battingeyelashes:
:volcano-smiley: In any case, there’ll be times when it gets ahead of me... part of the fun

I set the overnight air to 21C last night and the tent was 20 when the lights came on at 0530 - so temp seems sorted (and I get to stay really warm all night too :) ) Am going to employ some wet towels for humidity and see if that’s enough to consistently raise it about 5-10%. My little personal humidifier isn’t quite doing enough at the moment.

Happy days all :yummy:

:Namaste:

Gee cutting it all with hack saw and mitre box is a feat. We discussed that at one point and that’s what drove me to see about getting some cut to size. The supplier is 10mins down the highway and when you’re regional that’s like the corner store! I’ll aleays just get stuff pre-cut now :thumb: Their machines make nice clean edges too! 6 hours is pretty quick, esp for the first build. I have no idea how many actual build hours... it’s impossible to keeep track of when you’re doing a minute or 5 here n there :battingeyelashes:

Mitre box ... ? Heheh, I just ground away at mine freehand, with an old hacksaw I dug up, rusty blade and all. But I loves me some tools! I'll be getting a chopsaw as soon as I need one for some reason.

[Edit] (Says the guy who cut up a fallen leaning tree with a bow saw - no ladder. I own an electric chainsaw now, at least). :bongrip:

Oooh! We have an electric chainsaw too, they’re tops. Ours is little too. Very easy to weild :) And super powerful (Bosch).

rusty blade and all.

Priceless - must’ve taken some time ;)
A metal cutting blade on a drop saw ... but you’re pretty set now Gray, yeah? No more light building for a while...?:rofl:

Oooh! We have an electric chainsaw too, they’re tops. Ours is little too. Very easy to weild :) And super powerful (Bosch).

Yeah! You can hold onto the tree with one hand, lean way out to the side, and lop off a 6 inch side branch one-handed with one of those suckers. I always felt like I should have a holster - you know, spin it around on my finger and holster it when I'm done?

:slide::bongrip:

:thumb:
hehe - my garden helper is an arborist. He does a bit of tree work for us and his tiny fuel chainsaw hangs off his waist in a perfectly cavalier fashion while he’s climbing. The way he wields it up there I’ve often thought of that image myself Gray :)

We had a beautiful big old dead one come down in some recent winds (thankfully away from the house!). So sad, I love tree skeletons and this one was a beauty, with young slender trees growing up through it and lovely high perches that the raptors used to come and sit on. It’s firewood now, and the best too. Super hardwood, next season is sorted :)

You be careful spinning that thing around on ya finger Graytail :cool:

I heard back from Dan and he recommends polarized sunglasses. He suggested I not worry much about cost. Inexpensive’ll do the trick.

“Since these lights don’t emit uv/ir you are covered and also you don’t need to correct for blurple spectral output. This way you can pick a tint/size frame that best suits you.”

I think I’ll get a pair on my way home from dinner. :ciao:

I heard back from Dan and he recommends polarized sunglasses. He suggested I not worry much about cost. Inexpensive’ll do the trick.

“Since these lights don’t emit uv/ir you are covered and also you don’t need to correct for blurple spectral output. This way you can pick a tint/size frame that best suits you.”

I think I’ll get a pair on my way home from dinner. :ciao:

Brilliant! Just what I was hoping for. Thanks Sue - much appreciated :thumb: I can ask the lovely other to pick out a pair at the chemist. I need some for reading outside that will go over my reading glasses - so they will work for the tent as well. Just perfect. :)

:thumb: - Impressive build there Amy.

Cheers there tech sista! I’m very very happy with it, and with myself right now :)

Just now working out the final overall costs for it, so then I can move on to my next project... the extraction fan experiment :p:cool:

:surf:

DIY Light Build: wiring and firing it up!

I can’t resist...

:slide::yahoo::slide

Yesterday we left off with 3 boards and the driver left to mount and the wiring to complete.

First I took care of medication - I know the stem is filthy, I’ve cleaned it since :battingeyelashes::volcano-smiley:

^^^ I was pretty stoked with how well most of them matched up with the holes i drillled. I’m like a factory :laugh:

Then, on with the build...

I think the air gap under the driver is plenty.

The driver is easily removed and replaced :thumb:

So, ready for wiring. I did the power a couple of weeks ago, or a week, I can’t remember...

And then the boards. Let me just say this - I love WAGOS. What a great invention. I know there are other wire nuts and wire nuts have been around for ages, but these things are superb :thumb:

Oh and I’ll say this too - one cannot, i repeat cannot, find solid-core hook up wire that is 18AWG in this country. I had to make my way with stranded and its not easy to solder the ends enough so that they don’t collapse a bit on the way in to the ports. They’re all in there well, but they’re not great so I’ll try to procure some 18AWG hook up from the USA and replace it down the track, soon. I’ not including pics of the connections because, while they’re not terrible they’re not perfect and I wouldn’t want anyone to think I was endorsing it as an acceptable result.

But onwards - the WAGOS!!

Ready to test.....

I was thrilled it worked. My partner was thrilled it didn’t trip out the fuse box :battingeyelashes:

The driver is an HLG185-C700A, so it has a dimming port built in (that you access with a screwdriver). I didn’t get a shot of this, but if you don’t know what I’m talking about and you want to, watch the LED Gardener on YouTube, he does an awesome tour through all the drivers relevant to indoor horticultural lighting.

And for the lighting geeks the boards are designed by Graytail, 128 diodes per board @48V. The original plan was for a 2x2’ so I’d planned to run 32w/board to get 160 watts. The new tent is 2.5 x 2.5’ so you might say I’m now short on watts but I don’t want the plant right up against the sides of the tent, I want some airflow and space around them so I think I’m still growing in 2 x 2’, just with 1/4 foot space around the edges
:nomo:

Oh, and these panels are 3500k :thumb:

I ran it through the WATT meter while tweaking the output...

This is where I have to set for now.

Without further ado I hung it and set the timer for veg: ON at 530am; OFF at 1130pm.

I have it as high as it can go and I think I’ll get 2 more ratchet hangers and hang it directly from them. This will allow me to get it higher if needed :hmmmm:

Very happy Amy :thanks::hug::thanks: to those who helped directly and to everyone else for having fun growing this beautiful gift of nature together :hippy: (I don’t even remember if that the right code for it ;) )

I need very much to get on with some environmental controls (extraction, timer for the humidifier etc.), but for now I need to rest and will just let the tent hang open for air. It’s currently 18-22ºC and 60%RH, so pretty good.

I love this photo so I’m posting it again - call it a bookend - I love the effect of light you get form the way the little grommets keep it up off the floor ...
:popcorn:

Exhausted, blissfully high, totally stoked. It’s all a bonus from here (again, I’m wanting an emoji that conveys kicking back... :ganjamon: with :yummy: )

Instead I’ll drop this, i’ve dropped it in the lounge before and realise it can go here no problem. It conveys exactly how I plan to spend the rest of my Saturday morning...

Great job!!!:goodjob: Looks awesome Lady!

Back
Top Bottom