Winging It In Winter By The Window: Soil Auto Grow

Carmel King is a sweetheart of a plant!
Thank you Otter :) She smells just like caramel. I hope she tastes just as sweet but I'm confident she will.
You look to be doing great with your plants Carmen, they should replenish your jars nicely!
Thank you Stunger. That's the plan and I'm delighted with how well they are doing for a winter grow. It's definitely worth my while to keep this up. I have guests who come at odd times of year so a perpetual grow is not on the cards yet, but staggering auto grows throughout the year will keep me stocked.
Beautiful!!! Really beautiful!
Thank you Skottelgoed, my mede-Kapenaar :)

I feel like a murderer. I hope to God this little guy is playing dead and not really dead dead. I have had him / her in my garden for the longest time. I found the little creature in my mint after I had someone prune my outside garden. I tried to warn him / her by shaking the bushes before the pruning took place. Fuck fuck fuck. Please be alive little one :sorry:
DSC_8056-Edit.JPG

Thank you Otter :) She smells just like caramel. I hope she tastes just as sweet but I'm confident she will.

Thank you Stunger. That's the plan and I'm delighted with how well they are doing for a winter grow. It's definitely worth my while to keep this up. I have guests who come at odd times of year so a perpetual grow is not on the cards yet, but staggering auto grows throughout the year will keep me stocked.

Thank you Skottelgoed, my mede-Kapenaar :)

I feel like a murderer. I hope to God this little guy is playing dead and not really dead dead. I have had him / her in my garden for the longest time. I found the little creature in my mint after I had someone prune my outside garden. I tried to warn him / her by shaking the bushes before the pruning took place. Fuck fuck fuck. Please be alive little one :sorry:
DSC_8056-Edit.JPG
What happend?

Tuesday 21 June UPDATE

AUTOS
Caramel King
and Lavender Best, the two autos are 7 and 5 weeks old respectively. They both got 2 Litres of nute water this morning. I removed some of the books from the stack that are keeping the Lavender Best close to the light as she had stretched a bit more. She is now level-ish with the Caramel King.

PHOTOPERIODS
Bruce Banner #2
and
Wedding Cake, the two photos are both 19 days old. I got lucky this morning because my pots arrived and I was able to up-pot to 5 Litre / 1 gal. They are square plastic pots on legs, like the ones I used to use with coco-perlite grows. I hope that a month is enough time to establish a strong root structure in there before an up-pot to the 20 L / 5 gal fabric pots? Do you folk think this is doable? I want to veg until end July and then flower.

DSC_7871-Edit.JPG

DSC_7869-Edit.JPG

LEAF ISSUES
All four of my plants have had leaf issues in this soil. Asking around about the cause has not produced definitive answers. It's possible the soil is too hot for seedlings. It is also possible that the cold weather causes a nute lockout. I doubt it is a watering issue as I have followed @Jon's method for starting seedlings and I know I haven't over or under watered with these two. The autos grew out of it. I hope the photos do too.
DSC_7860.JPG
DSC_7862.JPG

Thank you for taking an interest in my grow and for knowledge and wisdom shared :green_heart:
Again, I’m sorry Camen, these were the sorts of things that made me offer the suggestion. Glad we talked it out. Like you said, the others outgrew it, so maybe it’s a bit hot just for the first few days until the plants can take it, so no harm no foul?

Update continued...

Lavender Best
39 Days AG, 16 Days In Flower 42 cm /16.5 inches tall

Watered with nutes to run off 3. L / 0.79 gallon 15th June

Watered 2 L on 21st

Watered 2 L on 24th
DSC_8030-Edit-Edit.JPG

PHOTOS

Bruce Banner 2
21 Days AG, 13 cm /5 inches tall

Up-potted to 5 L / 1 Gal 21st

Watered moat to run off 22nd. (too wet)
DSC_7996-Edit.JPG
DSC_8015-Edit.JPG

Wedding Cake 21 Days AG, 13 cm /5 inches tall

Up-potted to 5 L / 1 Gal 21st

Watered moat to run off 22nd. (too wet)
DSC_7998-Edit.JPG
DSC_8024-Edit.JPG

Thank you for your interest and encouragement those who visit, and have an awesome weekend!
Wow the buds look awesome and the photos appear to be past that lower leaf issue, yea?

@Skottelgoed Spons I don't know what happened. I had a guy doing some pruning for me. I don't see any marks on the chameleon but there appears to a shiny liquid coming from it's eyes... that makes it worse because they are sentient beings and it makes me think of tears. I have brought it indoors and put it in my one plant, hoping that it still might survive. I Googled to find out if they "play dead" and they do. I think I am being overly optimistic though...

@Jon yes, I see why you could think it might be a soil problem, but I feel I have ruled that out. I bought two more bags today!

I discussed the soil twice with the manufacturer. I also canvassed other growers who use that soil. I like to cover all of my bases :thumb:

@Jon yes, I see why you could think it might be a soil problem, but I feel I have ruled that out. I bought two more bags today!

I discussed the soil twice with the manufacturer. I also canvassed other growers who use that soil. I like to cover all of my bases :thumb:
So do you feel the plants are past that first leaf issue, whatever it was? It seems to be the case!

So do you feel the plants are past that first leaf issue, whatever it was? It seems to be the case!
I hope so. It appears so. I'm still watching.

@Skottelgoed Spons I don't know what happened. I had a guy doing some pruning for me. I don't see any marks on the chameleon but there appears to a shiny liquid coming from it's eyes... that makes it worse because they are sentient beings and it makes me think of tears. I have brought it indoors and put it in my one plant, hoping that it still might survive. I Googled to find out if they "play dead" and they do. I think I am being overly optimistic though...
Hope he is okay. Really beautiful creatures on this planet and scarce like chicken teeth in SA.

Hope he is okay. Really beautiful creatures on this planet and scarce like chicken teeth in SA.
No, sadly the little guy is dead. She / he changed color completely from camo to bright yellow green as life slipped away. I buried her in the garden today.
Morning Carmen! Maybe he's just not moving because it's too cold? We don't have anything like that here in Ohio that's for sure, they can't survive the winters. I hope it's ok.... have a great day!
Hey BK it's a tragedy. They can live as long as 10 years and they are severely threatened due to habitat loss... case in point.

Have a great day y'all :green_heart:

So sad about your lizard. I’m a reptile insect saver too.

You can’t save them all. But take comfort knowing you tried. ♥️♥️♥️

Your garden looks schmick tho! Good job lady :)
Thank you girlfriend! :love:

Wednesday 29 June UPDATE

Before I go ahead with my update I must tell you that our power is off from between 7.5 hours a day to 11.5 hours a day the whole of this week due to worker strike action and a broken grid. I am fortunate because Cape Town government picks up the slack a bit from our national carrier, as we have hydro electric power to help ease the pain. The rest of the country are on Stage 6.

Screenshot_20220629_155258_com.ashwhale.sepush.eskom.jpg

The inconsistent lighting is bound to have an effect on the plants. I have foxtails on my extremely airy buds on the CK. I am hoping my vegging photoperiod plants don't flower.

DSC_8098-Edit.JPG
DSC_8126-Edit.JPG

I am copy pasting the next paragraph from a chat with a friend, clarifying my grow context in case anyone else is wondering.

"This is my first time under a light and a first with autos. Other than that, I have grown in the same bags before, with the same soil outdoors, and in coco-perlite and synthetic nutes indoor and outdoor. I like the coco-perlite but it requires complicated nutes mixing and ph - ing which I do not want and that is why I chose the best craft cannabis soil our country has to offer, so that I don't have to be bothered with any of that. I have a very small space to grow in. It's mid-winter and all the conditions are working against me. The light is also not very strong. I don't expect to bring in monster harvests. I anticipate light, airy bud but since it is only for my smoke I don't care."

I do of course care and am disappointed in the buds of the CK, but it is what it is and judging from the smell, the sticky and the glitter, I will have something to smoke at the end.

AUTOS

Caramel King
58 Days AG, 39 Days In Flower 34 cm tall / 13 inches tall

CK is coming to the end of her flowering soon. That was pretty quick and since I only have other people's harvests to compare with, I imagine it is because I am growing her in winter room temperature without any humidity control, under a light that I am still getting to know and she was over-watered on the up-pot.

Lavender Best 43 Days AG, 20 Days In Flower 46 cm /18 inches tall

Drinking 2L every couple of days. Adding kelp, humic and fulvic acids and microbes once a week.
28 June.JPG

PHOTOS
Bruce Banner 2
25 Days AG, 15 cm /6 inches tall

She was up canned to 5 L / 1 Gal on 21st, watered moat to run off on 22nd (too wet), then watered 500 ml to run off today. LST has begun. The leaf problem appears to be arrested.

DSC_8082-Edit.JPG

Wedding Cake 25 Days AG, 13 cm /5 inches tall

She was up canned to 5 L / 1 Gal on 21st, watered moat to run off on 22nd (too wet), then watered 500 ml to run off today. LST has begun.

DSC_8086-Edit.JPG

A family pic
DSC_8095-Edit.JPG

Thank you for visiting my journal and have an awesome hump day y'all :circle-of-love:

Looking good in the hood Carmen! Sorry about the load shedding hours going up, but if you can make sure the photoperiod plants are by the window then you shouldn't have to worry about them flowering. As long as there's some light during their lights-on time they won't flip.

In terms of the airy buds, some varieties just grow that way, but not getting them enough lux/ppfd/par/DLI will take its toll on the size and density of the flowers.

Sorry about the load shedding hours going up, but if you can make sure the photoperiod plants are by the window then you shouldn't have to worry about them flowering.
Or even turn the lights on for an hour or so in the middle of the dark cycle. The plants need at least 10 or so consecutive dark hours to flip, although most of us do 12 to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom