Winging It In Winter By The Window: Soil Auto Grow

If that doesn't convince you, how about 281g off an untopped It's It Punch (photoperiod):
full

Here's the structure:
full

You got that right! :thumb:

I usually give the top branches 4 or 5 days to grow before I start tying them down- and be sure to be very careful with those top branches- they break off real easy (doesn't really hurt anything, but your plant will look a bit "funny")
Don't try to bend them down all at once- go a few mm at a time, with half an hour or so between "bendings"
I don't do any defoliating until later on, but cutting a few leaf "fingers" off right now isn't going to hurt anything.

Yes- you want the branches to get as much light as possible, as soon as possible..

You've done great! Staking those branches was the right thing to do.
Snipping fans is ok- just not too many this early...
Thank you Carcass for the feedback. I won't do any more snipping for a while.
Good morning sexy ladies :)

She looks GREAT!

Well done you!

Me cheering —> :cheer:
Thank you Tra!
Good Job Carmen! I really appreciate the step-by-step description, have a great day! Or night lol
Thank you BK and you're welcome. Have a great day / night where you are too
My evidence that topping autos, not only the main stem but side branches as well, is simply this.....Titan. Titan only exists due to lots of topped branches and the main topping. Good enough for me. I wouldn't NOT top one, ever. Lol. Everyone does it how they do it, to each their own.
Titan sure is a beast! You've grown a stunning plant, or tent full of plants.
So is waxing and plucking my eyebrows but I still do it lol!

For me I love the way a low trained grow looks. I have an untrained plant atm and that plant has taught me a valuable lesson. Always top. Lollllllll
Having read the different opinions and looked at photos of the superbly grown un-topped lst only plants in comparison to the superbly grown topped and trained plants it's clear to see that in all instances these plants are masterfully grown with everything necessary dialled in and spot on. It's impossible for a newbie like me to judge which is the best method. LOL, now I have something else to worry about... to to top or not to top... maybe I do one of each...
here is the difference between not topping and training (which is what TS recommended) on my first two Blueberry autos.
This is a massive difference to see
Now I find myself wondering whether Neil's massive 2.95 pound (dry) autoflower harvest plant was topped, or just well trained.
That's an amazing haul
Oh, wow! That's much more of a difference than I would have expected. Seems like that would be one vote for LST! :thumb:
I'm in awe
That's nice work, right there. :goodjob:
It really is!

My mind is boggled lololol.......... this is going to be an interesting learning curve! Thank you all for your ideas, lessons and encouragement. Have a great day / night :thanks:

maybe I do one of each...
You should!
I'm sure you'll get good results from both, and you may find that you prefer one method over the other- I did the lst method a few times, but my growspace works best with the plant in the center of the pot, and with lst , the plant tends to grow off to one side.
Both ways are great to improve yields, but the topping/training thing seems to work best for me.

You should!
I'm sure you'll get good results from both, and you may find that you prefer one method over the other- I did the lst method a few times, but my growspace works best with the plant in the center of the pot, and with lst , the plant tends to grow off to one side.
Both ways are great to improve yields, but the topping/training thing seems to work best for me.
That's interesting to note that the lst ones grow to a side. That might actually be what I need in what will remain of my space as CK begins to take up more space. Thanks Carcass.

Taking up more space is the reason I stopped using LST...plants get wide, which is a problem if they need to fit through doors. :)

Sawzall and spackling, bro, Sawzall and spackling.

It's It Punch

First time I saw mention of that one, I thought, "Wow, someone's virtual keyboard app is even more malicious than the one Samsung sticks on its phones." Then I finally figured out it's supposed to be like that. Seems like I read some praising words about the strain in Dr. D's journal. Or maybe not, IDK. I can't remember sh!t when I'm not high.

I can't remember sh!t when I am high, either - but it doesn't bother me as much ;) .

Good morning,
I didn't expect to see the degree of shock CK is in today. She has very droopy leaves. I Googled to see how long the stress would last and it could be anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks judging from what I skim read. I thought I'd ask here rather... Is this a normal day after look, or am I destroying this plant?
The only water I had given her was the 150 ml H2O + mycco in the "moat" line I had drawn around her. That looked dry and the bag felt light so I assume that two days exposed to the atmosphere with the fan blowing on her, the bag was dry. I watered 250 ml with kelp extract into the moat. and there is a distinct dark ring where I watered, indicating that the soil is dry on top.
DSC_7260-Edit.JPG

The Lavender Best doesn't look that great either. I have given that plant 2 syringes of H2O + mycco 4 days ago. I am seeing roots spreading out into the solo cup. She is exactly 1 week above ground.
DSC_7267-Edit.JPG

I feel disheartened seeing these plants looking the way they do. Should I be worried, or should I relax and give it time?

Is the entire pot dry, or just the top?
It's not uncommon for them to droop after a transplant. If there's moisture in the new soil I would give her some time to recover.
Thank you Mel. I don't know how to tell for sure whether the pot has enough moisture. When I did the up-pot the soil was slightly moist all the way through. I had kept it under the black plastic bag to keep it moist. The outer bag is dry as a bone. The only place I have watered is in that moat, the 500 ml, and it makes a distinct dark circle.

I like to limit things generally to one stressor at a time, so you certainly want enough water in the pot both before and after topping. That said, these are pretty resilient plants and it will bounce back. With an auto the clock is ticking so you want as smooth a journey as possible.

Maybe give the current roots some water rather than the far out soil edge where you are try to encourage the roots to go.

Morning Carmen. Lift that pot. Does it seem heavy or light? If light, perhaps you should water/feed her to runoff. With the solo cup gal do the same thing. If she feels a little light give her around 1/4 cup of water/feed. I always use the weight of the pot as my indicator that the plant needs watering(learned that here too…). She may be a little pissed about the second transplant, but she likely needs to be watered to runoff.

It was a bit shaggy, but still. Weighing (et cetera) video:
Thanks for sharing that TS... wow, that's an enormous, record breaking bag of weed off one auto plant :cool:
Yeah that's a pretty one alright. He pisses me off with his constantly perfect plants. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Shed is a legend :green_heart:
I like to limit things generally to one stressor at a time, so you certainly want enough water in the pot both before and after topping. That said, these are pretty resilient plants and it will bounce back. With an auto the clock is ticking so you want as smooth a journey as possible.

Maybe give the current roots some water rather than the far out soil edge where you are try to encourage the roots to go.
Thanks Azi I followed your suggestion, and then I did the following...
Morning Carmen. Lift that pot. Does it seem heavy or light? If light, perhaps you should water/feed her to runoff. With the solo cup gal do the same thing. If she feels a little light give her around 1/4 cup of water/feed. I always use the weight of the pot as my indicator that the plant needs watering(learned that here too…). She may be a little pissed about the second transplant, but she likely needs to be watered to runoff.
Hi Boo, am I glad to see you! Thanks for the advice. I have now watered to run off and the bag feels very heavy. I will wait a few hours to see if she perks up or droops further. I hope it's the former :) I weighed the baby next to a dry cup and she weighs 100g more, so perhaps it is over-watering causing the issues with the baby. It's really hard to tell.

You've probably mentioned it, but is that media mostly coco coir? Because I used some years ago, and I had the hardest time rewetting it after it dried out. By that, I mean that I got back on a watering schedule that ensured that things would not go completely dry again, and stuck to it - but still discovered "pockets" of bone-dry media some time later. It was weird. I am aware of the issue of trying to hydrate dry soil, and having to do so slowly, else the water simply drains out as fast as you pour it in. But after you do manage to rehydrate, it's all rehydrated. This stuff wasn't like that, even after setting the containers in a tray of water and allowing them to wick up moisture.

Do you open that window? If I remember correctly, single-strength (3/32" thick) glass attenuates light transmission by approximately 9% per pane, and thicker glass even more. Also... Seems like, on a sunny day, I feel even hotter when sitting by a window that the sun is shining through than I do when I'm outside, even if the general temperature in that room is relatively cool. Unless it's an "energy-efficient" window that has some sort of coating to block a portion of the IR energy - which probably blocks a measurable percentage of visible light (although probably not measurable by our eyes, which aren't the best tools for that job).

You've probably mentioned it, but is that media mostly coco coir? Because I used some years ago, and I had the hardest time rewetting it after it dried out. By that, I mean that I got back on a watering schedule that ensured that things would not go completely dry again, and stuck to it - but still discovered "pockets" of bone-dry media some time later. It was weird. I am aware of the issue of trying to hydrate dry soil, and having to do so slowly, else the water simply drains out as fast as you pour it in. But after you do manage to rehydrate, it's all rehydrated. This stuff wasn't like that, even after setting the containers in a tray of water and allowing them to wick up moisture.

Do you open that window? If I remember correctly, single-strength (3/32" thick) glass attenuates light transmission by approximately 9% per pane, and thicker glass even more. Also... Seems like, on a sunny day, I feel even hotter when sitting by a window that the sun is shining through than I do when I'm outside, even if the general temperature in that room is relatively cool. Unless it's an "energy-efficient" window that has some sort of coating to block a portion of the IR energy - which probably blocks a measurable percentage of visible light (although probably not measurable by our eyes, which aren't the best tools for that job).
TS this is the medium below. It took the water which I poured gradually in circles until there was a run off. It's winter so the sun doesn't really heat the spot up. It only shines on the plants for a couple of hours in the late afternoon.
This is what is in the Orgasoilux (South African brand)
Capacity30L
InoculantCannabis Microbial Consortium
BlendCompost, Vermi-compost, Coco peat, Sphagnum peat moss (sustainably harvested) and perlite
IngredientsAlfalfa meal
Aloe meal
Basalt Rock Dust
Bio-Char (preloaded with microbes)
Canna-kashi
Calcitic Lime
Copper Powder
Dolomite Lime
Guano (sea-bird)
Gypsum
Humic Acid
Fulvic Acid
Frass
Kelp Meal
Malted Barley
Manganese Oxide
Montmorillonite Clay
Soft Rock Phosphate
Zeolite

TS this is the medium below. It took the water which I poured gradually in circles until there was a run off. It's winter so the sun doesn't really heat the spot up. It only shines on the plants for a couple of hours in the late afternoon.
This is great soil. Only thing I'd ask you is, is the drainage as you like it? Or would you benefit next time from adding some extra perlite? It appears the moisture holding ingredients are more on the moss, peat side. Thus I was wondering how does it drain by itself (assuming you used it as is this time)?

This is great soil. Only thing I'd ask you is, is the drainage as you like it? Or would you benefit next time from adding some extra perlite? It appears the moisture holding ingredients are more on the moss, peat side. Thus I was wondering how does it drain by itself (assuming you used it as is this time)?
I like it. I used it in outdoor pots last year. I think it drains very well. It does have perlite in it. It is quality tested and widely used in the local cannabis sector. If there is a problem it is likely with my lack of experience I think, rather than the medium.

I like it. I used it in outdoor pots last year. I think it drains very well. It does have perlite in it. It is quality tested and widely used in the local cannabis sector. If there is a problem it is likely with my lack of experience I think, rather than the medium.
Cool. I wasn't suggesting you had any issues, I was just wondering about it. Sohum needs the extra perlite, for example, in my opinion, or it binds up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom