Welcome to da Shack!

hey hogdady everything is looking rather impressive :) those electric prices are god damb to high!!!! the prices over hear are actualy falling which is a huge suprise. theres a thing they call energy poverty here were if you spend more than 10% of your household income on energy its classed as energy poverty. there was a big drive to bring down the prices as the majority were 10%+ specialy those outa work. (i used to have a sideline job selling energy over the phone) i think the cheapest plan with the cheapest company here is about 7.5p pkw

yea, it's a bitch. wish we had energy companies competing for our business. that would drive the price down. friggin monopoly....

yea, it's a bitch. wish we had energy companies competing for our business. that would drive the price down. friggin monopoly....

Hey Hogdady,
I feel for you and high utility prices. California legislators really need to get their heads out of their ass and start working for the people. The bs over energy out there has been out of control for way too long now. For both water and electricity.
Down here in the Lone Star State we have a wonderful thing called a utility co/op. Yep! A utility company owned and ran by the PEOPLE who use the service. We also get to set our prices thru the beauty of democracy. Right now our rates are at about 9 cents per kw and will go up when a user crosses a certain threshold.
Right now I'm running my grow room + home ac + 4500 watt sauna for 1.5 hours each day + a three person hot tub set on economy mode + a large chest freezer + a 18"x4" above ground salt water pool + standard household useage and my bill tops out at a whopping $240 for water, electricity, and trash pick up.

Hey Hogdady,
I feel for you and high utility prices. California legislators really need to get their heads out of their ass and start working for the people. The bs over energy out there has been out of control for way too long now. For both water and electricity.
Down here in the Lone Star State we have a wonderful thing called a utility co/op. Yep! A utility company owned and ran by the PEOPLE who use the service. We also get to set our prices thru the beauty of democracy. Right now our rates are at about 9 cents per kw and will go up when a user crosses a certain threshold.
Right now I'm running my grow room + home ac + 4500 watt sauna for 1.5 hours each day + a three person hot tub set on economy mode + a large chest freezer + a 18"x4" above ground salt water pool + standard household useage and my bill tops out at a whopping $240 for water, electricity, and trash pick up.

I'm feelin' a little dizzy.....

Awesome setup and I like your cardboard ducts, very nice + reps man! OUCH!!!!! Your getting held up at gun point paying those electric rates. Do commercial accounts get a cheaper rate? I pay a cheaper k/hr for my electric at my shop since it is rated as a commercial service, but I am in Colorado.

Awesome setup and I like your cardboard ducts, very nice + reps man! OUCH!!!!! Your getting held up at gun point paying those electric rates. Do commercial accounts get a cheaper rate? I pay a cheaper k/hr for my electric at my shop since it is rated as a commercial service, but I am in Colorado.

Commercial is cheaper because the baseline allowance is much more. My baseline kwh price is $.14, but my baseline is only 300 kwh. Gotta have a business license to qualify and your property has to be zoned commercial.

I received some unwanted news today. I was reviewing my latest energy bill (always painful), and noticed something. My energy provider (Pacific Graft & Extortion) charges per kwh, based on a 5 tier system. Lowest kwh is your baseline, and as you exceed your baseline, the kwh prices go up for every tier. Well, the bulk of my energy usage occurs in the 5th tier (300% over baseline), which, up until last month, was $.41 per kwh. So now I see that all 5 tiers have gone up in kwh rates, with the 5th tier now being $.49 per kwh! For 2404 kwh, my bill was $1033! :whoa:

Wow thats outrageous! I was using the same amount running a four bedroom home with kids and three 1k lights and the bill was only $400 per month.
WTF I heard PG&E was ridiculous but that borders on criminal. A 5 tier system?? Do you reach higher tiers by increased usage or at certain hrs of the day are rates higher?
God Bless you Hogdady. With energy bills that high we need to be.

:nicethread:+Rep and 5 Stars:welldone:

AMEN Hogdady, I remember De-Regulation of Public Utilities when Clinton said it would drive down consumer prices and enable choice of providers.
The only thing that happened here was the U.K.'s National Grid bought up Narragansett Electric's power plant and shut it down saying customers would be happier. The bills continue to go up every year with no choice of providers. It seems unless you live near a hydroelectric plant or nuclear reactor all energy companies are like PG&E, straight crooks.

I just got mine...

"Just a quickie to advise that we have received your first electric bill in the office 15th March - 16th April at €42.70 and Basura charge for March at €10.75....A grand total of €53.45"

Rest assured my airecon etc is going on big style now!

In reality tho it is probably an estimate knowing Spain and I will get treble that next month haha.

I did check out the prices after seeing some of these posts, Electricity here is approx 11.5c per kwh. Some of the lowest prices in Europe fortunately so that's nice news. It also 'seems' to be standard practicem if I am reading it rightm that night time use is 30% discount. Seems I did the right thing having my daytime hours at night in that sense too then!

Sorry to hear of anyone getting a serious bill if they are growing for personal use.

You know you should leave that place behind and move to Spain anyway right? Bring all yer initiative, free thinkers and business people to run it properly and leave yer crappy justice departments etc behind!

:peace: :peacetwo: :peace:

AMEN Hogdady, I remember De-Regulation of Public Utilities when Clinton said it would drive down consumer prices and enable choice of providers.
The only thing that happened here was the U.K.'s National Grid bought up Narragansett Electric's power plant and shut it down saying customers would be happier. The bills continue to go up every year with no choice of providers. It seems unless you live near a hydroelectric plant or nuclear reactor all energy companies are like PG&E, straight crooks.

I have a power plant right down the street.....

I just got mine...

"Just a quickie to advise that we have received your first electric bill in the office 15th March - 16th April at €42.70 and Basura charge for March at €10.75....A grand total of €53.45"

Rest assured my airecon etc is going on big style now!

In reality tho it is probably an estimate knowing Spain and I will get treble that next month haha.

I did check out the prices after seeing some of these posts, Electricity here is approx 11.5c per kwh. Some of the lowest prices in Europe fortunately so that's nice news. It also 'seems' to be standard practicem if I am reading it rightm that night time use is 30% discount. Seems I did the right thing having my daytime hours at night in that sense too then!

Sorry to hear of anyone getting a serious bill if they are growing for personal use.

You know you should leave that place behind and move to Spain anyway right? Bring all yer initiative, free thinkers and business people to run it properly and leave yer crappy justice departments etc behind!

:peace: :peacetwo: :peace:

I'm Portuguese by decent....

Well, Portugal is already 'ran' better than here me thinks. Tho I'm English so anywhere better than Uk nanny state for me, even Portugal! haha

I have windmills down the road.. Kinda cool

I'm sure the rules and regs are very different between Cali and Co for energy. I was lucky enough that the power company split the service between residential for the house and then commercial for the big garage. Guess I won't be complaining about my electric bills after hearing your ordeal.

I would hope to invest in a windmill one day and hopefully sell some power back to those crooks ;-)

sounds like you exhausted every possibility to get around this. i agree, best plan is to pay as per the terms. i can see people starting to sell their neighbors some of their power.

if you have an electric dryer, stove/oven or anything else that can be converted to NG or LPG would sure be worth the $. i read a thread once where a guy converted an all electric apartment to lpg using a tankless waterheater and gas dryer.

sounds like you exhausted every possibility to get around this. i agree, best plan is to pay as per the terms. i can see people starting to sell their neighbors some of their power.

if you have an electric dryer, stove/oven or anything else that can be converted to NG or LPG would sure be worth the $. i read a thread once where a guy converted an all electric apartment to lpg using a tankless waterheater and gas dryer.

The problem lies in the tier system. The baseline (350 kwh) charge is $.12 a kwh. The fact that I use as much electricity as I do results in the bulk of my charges being in the 5th tier @ $.49 a kwh.

Back
Top Bottom