The Quadsquad Thread: A Community For Quadlining

Question on quadlining....does it make the width footprint of the plants any wider than just topping and some LST? I'd like to quadline one in my new grow, but typically 4 plants with topping after 5th node and LST fill up my 4x4.
That's what quadlining is; one topping above the 4th node and the LST'ing the kept branches. You control the width with the LST part.

My quads flower 2 at a time, side by side, in a 1m x 0.5m (36" x 18") space so each one gets approximately 1.5 square feet.

That's what quadlining is; one topping above the 4th node and the LST'ing the kept branches. You control the width with the LST part.

My quads flower 2 at a time, side by side, in a 1m x 0.5m (36" x 18") space so each one gets approximately 1.5 square feet.
I love the way you know your stuff, Azi! I learned alot from it,
My best indoor quad/SIP's are groovy!
This quad was the best under trimming . The inner colas had room to grow.

This one is 10 days younger. RH has been mis 50;s yet the leaves are droopng and brittle.
Am I dehumidifying too much?
Did alot of under chopping and it was a shame to waste potential buds. I let my other cafe go wild and the ventillation was horrible.

Since my eldest had great light in the center, I took 3 of the best chops from ~ and stuck them in the center. They have light and may root and darken.

All in in all, the colas have mega potential. Many colas will exceed 12 inches and many will be not far behind.

The combo between SIP and quads are impressing.

Cheers!

This one is 10 days younger. RH has been mis 50;s yet the leaves are droopng and brittle.
Did alot of under chopping and it was a shame to waste potential buds. I let my other cafe go wild and the ventillation was horrible.

Since my eldest had great light in the center, I took 3 of the best chops from ~ and stuck them in the center. They have light and may root and darken.

All in in all, the colas have mega potential. Many colas will exceed 12 inches and many will be not far behind.

Cheers!
WooHoo! ❤️

It is showing signs of Overwatering, which isn't always caused by too much water, other environmental conditions can contribute. More info if you Google "Overwater cannabis". Too much info to type on phone right now.

Cheers!
Cheers, Scott!

Question on quadlining....does it make the width footprint of the plants any wider than just topping and some LST? I'd like to quadline one in my new grow, but typically 4 plants with topping after 5th node and LST fill up my 4x4.
It doesn’t make it wider, you still have to train it out to the width you want.

Hello all! Im trying quadlining and i let her grow past the normal topping time anyone think they can show me where to make the cut and clear off i chopped off some lower branches so she can recover a little before topping Thanks in advance!
Before
IMG_4943.jpeg
IMG_4958.jpeg

After
IMG_4966.jpeg
IMG_4964.jpeg
IMG_4967.jpeg

For a true quadline you've already taken the bottom two, then keep the next two above what you've already done and top above those.

As I mentioned in your thread, you'll probably have a nice clone when you top and, even if you don't have room to grow it, you might want to practice cloning so you'll be more confident when you need to.

On a seedling the nodes come out opposite each other for the first 6-8 nodes or so. Each node will have a branch coming out opposite the other and the next set up will be 90 degrees from the set below.

So on the lowest two nodes that you removed, you took off two branches at each node.

Now you leave both branches at node 3 and 4, and cut the top off between node 4 and 5.

The two branches at node 3 and the two at node 4 become your quad. After you top the growth hormones will shift to those lower branches that remain and as they grow you tie or weight them down so they grow horizontally rather than vertically until they get to the pot edge and then you let them grow up.

Hello out there! :high-five:

Well I’m getting closer to starting a mini quad line on the first of my girls soon. I have 9 Fat Bastard plants at day 18 since popped and 4 Blueberry Cheese girls, Day 18 (1) and day 13 (3). The older BC will be used as a mom. All other plants, I wish to do mini quad lines on.

They are all in 5.5”x5.5” pots. I say mini quad because they will be getting transplanted into 3 gal grow bags at some point and that will be their final home, not quadlined into huge glorious plants like many of you grow! I have limited space and as you can see, a number of plants.

Here are all plants, FB on left, BBC on right.

The largest of the FBs are getting closer to starting the quadlining process.
Here are the two largest, FB#2 and FB#3 from an upper view…

And here they both are from a side view…

And here is FB#3 closer in on its top so you can see the 4th node is growing nicely, with the 5th beginning.
I know they are not ready to top just yet, but here is/are my questions…

Can I, or when should I, remove any bottom foliage, the first single leaf and then the next 2 nodes with true leaves? They are pushing out new growth, and I’ve never quadlined before, so I’m checking before doing anything. If I get the timing right with the first, I can manage the rest when it’s their time *maybe*! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Another question regards the shorter FB girls. The space between their nodes is very small. I don’t know if it’s different phenos of this strain, but the difference is remarkable at this point. Does anything change or do I do anything different with them? They have all had the same soil, water, nutrients and lighting. Just are growing at different heights and colors of green.

I think that’s it out of me for now. Hope that wasn’t too painful for anyone reading it!
And :thanks: for having a thread just for quadlining! I read the beginning number of pages of posts to get a good idea of what it takes. Super great info with pics! But I had to skip to the end to post my questions! There was no way I had time to go all the way thru it! I know I will return often tho.:thumb:

Have a wonderful evening.
:hug:Granny420 Hugs to ALL:hug:

Hello out there! :high-five:

Well I’m getting closer to starting a mini quad line on the first of my girls soon. I have 9 Fat Bastard plants at day 18 since popped and 4 Blueberry Cheese girls, Day 18 (1) and day 13 (3). The older BC will be used as a mom. All other plants, I wish to do mini quad lines on.

They are all in 5.5”x5.5” pots. I say mini quad because they will be getting transplanted into 3 gal grow bags at some point and that will be their final home, not quadlined into huge glorious plants like many of you grow! I have limited space and as you can see, a number of plants.

Here are all plants, FB on left, BBC on right.

The largest of the FBs are getting closer to starting the quadlining process.
Here are the two largest, FB#2 and FB#3 from an upper view…

And here they both are from a side view…

And here is FB#3 closer in on its top so you can see the 4th node is growing nicely, with the 5th beginning.
I know they are not ready to top just yet, but here is/are my questions…

Can I, or when should I, remove any bottom foliage, the first single leaf and then the next 2 nodes with true leaves? They are pushing out new growth, and I’ve never quadlined before, so I’m checking before doing anything. If I get the timing right with the first, I can manage the rest when it’s their time *maybe*! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Another question regards the shorter FB girls. The space between their nodes is very small. I don’t know if it’s different phenos of this strain, but the difference is remarkable at this point. Does anything change or do I do anything different with them? They have all had the same soil, water, nutrients and lighting. Just are growing at different heights and colors of green.

I think that’s it out of me for now. Hope that wasn’t too painful for anyone reading it!
And :thanks: for having a thread just for quadlining! I read the beginning number of pages of posts to get a good idea of what it takes. Super great info with pics! But I had to skip to the end to post my questions! There was no way I had time to go all the way thru it! I know I will return often tho.:thumb:

Have a wonderful evening.
:hug:Granny420 Hugs to ALL:hug:
Hi Granny, I’ve been seeing you around the last few weeks. Welcome back to the forum!

I’ve found that hybrids may express their Sativa traits or their Indica traits more, so it’s not unusual for them to grow differently from each other. I usually top between the 4th & 5th nodes & remove the 1st & 2nd nodes. The tighter node stacking is indicitave of Indica expression being more dominant.

Hi Granny, I’ve been seeing you around the last few weeks. Welcome back to the forum!

I’ve found that hybrids may express their Sativa traits or their Indica traits more, so it’s not unusual for them to grow differently from each other. I usually top between the 4th & 5th nodes & remove the 1st & 2nd nodes. The tighter node stacking is indicitave of Indica expression being more dominant.
Hey honey :high-five: and:thanks: for responding! Much appreciated!

I’ve been seeing you around too. It’s a wonderful world here at 420!

Phenos, I understand the different types, but does it make any difference in how you quad? Same top above 4th node, remove all below 3rd?

And when should I remove the lower stuff? Is it better to wait for that 5th node to be growing up to the point of topping, or would it hurt to remove the lower stuff now? I’m wondering if by removing them, will it set the plant back on continuing to grow that 5th node? Or will it benefit the top to grow faster by removing the lower stuff that’s using plant energy to grow?

Thank you again for getting back to me! I’m sure I will continue to see you. :)

:hug::high-five::hug:

From the original post:
At this point I've already put the plant through enough stress that I really don't want to clip anything else off or bend anything. It's not a ton of stress but they are little so you don't want to over-do it. I always like to strip the bottom two nodes a day or two before topping to give the plant a little time to recover. Doing everything all at the same time can cause extra delay and we don't want that. Also if you are growing multiple plants then I highly recommend to do each one when they are ready and not on a planned schedule. Different genetics grow at different rates and you should always do things to your plants based on how they look and not based on a scheduled time frame. If you are growing multiple plants then rarely can you strip and top at the same time. That means they all have to be at the exact same spot and that will rarely happen, especially if they aren't all the same genetics. Also it is key to note that if you are growing in soil, this could all take a little longer to recover then if you are growing in Coco or Hydro. If someone growing in Coco has a plant that recovers quicker and is larger, well that is just the nature of growing in a hydro medium. Doing any training or topping in soil will always take a little longer to recover and usually plants just aren't as big in soil as they are in Hydro. You will still have beautiful plants but you might be wondering why they don't look as big as someone else's plants and really it's as simple as genetics or growing medium.

Phenos, I understand the different types, but does it make any difference in how you quad? Same top above 4th node, remove all below 3rd?

And when should I remove the lower stuff? Is it better to wait for that 5th node to be growing up to the point of topping, or would it hurt to remove the lower stuff now? I’m wondering if by removing them, will it set the plant back on continuing to grow that 5th node? Or will it benefit the top to grow faster by removing the lower stuff that’s using plant energy to grow?

I always do it all at the same time. I’ve never noticed any ill effects from doing so.

:thanks:

I always do it all at the same time. I’ve never noticed any ill effects from doing so.

Like ripping off a bandaid. :laughtwo:

:thanks: both!
Okay, I guess the simple answer to my question would be that I need to wait until that 5th set of leaves are out and ready to top before removing the lower growth.

Then I can either do both at the same time, or remove lower 2 days before top.

Oh yes, this is like ripping off a bandaid. I used LST in the past, but it takes a long time to get things “even” across the canopy. They never looked as even as these quad girls do. But cutting off sections and topping will be new. I will let that bandaid rip when the fifth node is out and ready to top.

Thank you!
:hug:Granny Hugs ToAll!:hug:

:thanks: both!
Okay, I guess the simple answer to my question would be that I need to wait until that 5th set of leaves are out and ready to top before removing the lower growth.

Then I can either do both at the same time, or remove lower 2 days before top.

Oh yes, this is like ripping off a bandaid. I used LST in the past, but it takes a long time to get things “even” across the canopy. They never looked as even as these quad girls do. But cutting off sections and topping will be new. I will let that bandaid rip when the fifth node is out and ready to top.

Thank you!
:hug:Granny Hugs ToAll!:hug:
The topping above the fourth node makes the LST process super easy since the four remaining branches are already mostly pointing in the direction you're going to train them.

No bending the plant against its will to the opposite side of the pot which requires you to anchor it to the near side.

So much easier to my mind. Those that grow autos sometimes prefer to skip the topping but I think it makes things better and stronger for your plant.

Not that I’m a pro but, I top above the 4th and remove the lower 2 on the same day.
I give em a couple days and up pot to my sip.
A few days later they explode with growth.
@Azimuth wont steer ya wrong!

IMG_3269.jpeg

IMG_3321.jpeg

IMG_3352.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3420.jpeg

Not that I’m a pro but, I top above the 4th and remove the lower 2 on the same day.

IMG_3269.jpeg

IMG_3321.jpeg

IMG_3352.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3420.jpeg
Beautifull!!

:thumb:

The topping above the fourth node makes the LST process super easy since the four remaining branches are already mostly pointing in the direction you're going to train them.

No bending the plant against its will to the opposite side of the pot which requires you to anchor it to the near side.

So much easier to my mind. Those that grow autos sometimes prefer to skip the topping but I think it makes things better and stronger for your plant.
Thank you Azimuth! :high-five: When I first came in this group and started reading and seeing the pics and how it looks like you all have this process down to a fine science. :Namaste:Yes, no bending and so much easier. I always ended up with a number of top colas, but it did stress the plants and was often uneven. And it definitely slowed the plants down.
Hey Olddog! :high-five:That’s also what I needed to know, when to up pot. Thank you!
The procession of your plant - incredible perfection. Beautiful craftsmanship.
I saw a whole lot of that in here!
And I saw a lot of @Azimuth and yes, he sure knows his quad ing!

Thank you all, you answered every question I had. Now I just have to wait for each individual plant to grow their 5th node out and I’ll be off to the races! :thanks:

I’ll come back in when I start in, just to make sure I don’t screw it up. It just looks awful easy and much more efficient than LST.

Back
Top Bottom