20230801_165014.jpg

Day 5 and #3 has a root. The other 7 aren't showing anything yet.

I think you’re asking for problems going larger in the soil especially running LOS, regardless of watering style. Perlite is devoid of nutrition.. Larger sizes are going to throw the balance off in the soil and leave your microbes with a bunch of gas and no work with a bunch of weird caverns. Perlites entire purpose in the pot is to provide air, housing, and microbe level water retention. Going larger in the pot is basically sticking up your middle finger to those purposes.

This would be even more true I would think with swicking since perlite shouldn’t be traveling the same as it does with top watering. It would become even more noticeable the smaller your pots are.

What exactly is it you’re trying to accomplish by going larger in the pot?
Sorry Keff, missed this the first time.

I'm trying to decrease water logging of the soil and in the process increase oxygen to the roots. In my small SIP pots I think the medium stays too wet because of the higher perched water table relative to pot height, so I'm trying to finesse that issue.

I seem to have happier plants when I don't keep the reservoirs full, and even better when I let the pots dry out a bit between waterings.

Sorry Keff, missed this the first time.

I'm trying to decrease water logging of the soil and in the process increase oxygen to the roots. In my small SIP pots I think the medium stays too wet because of the higher perched water table relative to pot height, so I'm trying to finesse that issue.

I seem to have happier plants when I don't keep the reservoirs full, and even better when I let the pots dry out a bit between waterings.

Interesting.. I thought my original reply for this was to Gee but I think his reply may have been to you 😂

I think yeah that’s a little more difficult than what I was thinking originally. It also sorta defeats the purpose of what you’re trying to do, having to allow the reservoir to never be full, and to dry out. I’ll spend some time thinking about it and see if I can’t think of any workarounds. Let me know if you come up with any theories about this as well since your experience with this is much more intimate than mine

🙏👊 Stone I know you grow very similar to me so please jump in any time if you have any insights or experiences. It's always appreciated😊
Hehe, I am brother thanks!
20230727_132215.jpg
20230727_132203.jpg

I was literally on my way to the tent to cull these 2 and both have turned themselves around.

Their color is coming back and turgidity is finally returning.

Well I guess they get to live for a few more days.

I have a 40 gallon cloth pot coming to do an indoor scrog and should be here on Monday. If these two can keep improving the scrog can wait but if they start to sputter they are worm food.

It took a long time to shake off the overwatering.
Nice turnaround! Surprise!
20230728_141249.jpg

Here are the 4 PK's all numbered.

Day 4
20230728_135738.jpg

Here are the corresponding clones. The 2 in the quadrant came from the clone with the same number.

20230728_135851.jpg
20230728_135858.jpg
20230728_135905.jpg
20230728_135911.jpg
20230728_135928.jpg
Screenshot_20230728_142112_Gallery.jpg

Still no roots.

Day 14 of Flower.
20230728_140040.jpg

The 2 headed clone has come a long ways but it still looks wet. At least the leaves are no longer swollen and crinkled.

20230728_140014.jpg

A little lop-sided from me raping leaves for brix readings, but still improving.
Clones are having nice growth Gee!
Plant #1 July 28 21 brix
20230728_175051.jpg

I apologize for the terrible picture. The sun is blazing and it makes it hard for the camera but you can make out the 21 and fuzzy. @StoneOtter the leaf stems read 6 and fuzzy.
Cool Gee! There is a difference! I'm heading out to give mine a look now!

Hehe, I am brother thanks!

Nice turnaround! Surprise!

Clones are having nice growth Gee!

Cool Gee! There is a difference! I'm heading out to give mine a look now!
Let us know what you find, and how many swear words you invented trying to get juice out of that dang leaf!🤣🤣🤣

Interesting.. I thought my original reply for this was to Gee but I think his reply may have been to you 😂

I think yeah that’s a little more difficult than what I was thinking originally. It also sorta defeats the purpose of what you’re trying to do, having to allow the reservoir to never be full, and to dry out. I’ll spend some time thinking about it and see if I can’t think of any workarounds. Let me know if you come up with any theories about this as well since your experience with this is much more intimate than mine
And, if nothing else we can learn together as we try to diagnose any issues that come up. I'm using the hydroton in my veggie SIPs, although random amounts, and those plants seem to be growing fine. I will say I pay a lot less attention to them though.

I'll document the journey in my Alchemy thread so you can follow along there. As I've previously stated, my goal is to run my grows with as little outside inputs as possible, so if I can replace the perlite with hydroton and the coco with compost I'll be essentially there.

It also sorta defeats the purpose of what you’re trying to do, having to allow the reservoir to never be full, and to dry out. I’ll spend some time thinking about it and see if I can’t think of any workarounds. Let me know if you come up with any theories about this as well since your experience with this is much more intimate than mine
I'm not all that bothered by managing the reservoir levels as I check the veg plants a couple of times a day anyway and by the time I flip the plants are big enough to drain the reservoir often enough.

The air at the root level in a SIP buys a grower a  lot of leeway so if I can get the other two variables dialed in (hydroton for perlite, and compost for coco) and can grow happy plants with some sort of repeatable ratios, then I'll be running a pretty sustainable grow almost entirely from my backyard.

and how many swear words you invented trying to get juice out of that dang leaf!🤣🤣🤣
This ^^^^

Man, I struggle with that as well. I've tried a garlic press, a pair of pliers, a C-clamp, two spoons, etc. Honestly, if I found a consistent way to get a f***ing drop of sap onto the bloody plate, I'd check it more often. 😠😡

Miscalculation of dates. This is Day 7 not Day 5. Sorry Everybody.
7 days is still pretty good! :thumb:

What are your thoughts about selecting for fast rooting from available rooted cuts? We probably all do that anyway because the earlier rooted cuts generally have the most roots at upcan time compared to the other choices, but do you think that trait carries forward or are those types of genes more related to seeds?

This ^^^^

Man, I struggle with that as well. I've tried a garlic press, a pair of pliers, a C-clamp, two spoons, etc. Honestly, if I found a consistent way to get a f***ing drop of sap onto the bloody plate, I'd check it more often. 😠😡
I find tearing off the blades, then tearing the blades in half and bundling it all up, then tear it i half again and bundle that up, then tearing off a chunk about 3/4 inch long and rolling that wad firmly and slowly between my fingers until its sort of juicy and then squeeze out a drop works about 80% of the time. Some leaves just won't give it up🤣

I find tearing off the blades, then tearing the blades in half and bundling it all up, then tear it i half again and bundle that up, then tearing off a chunk about 3/4 inch long and rolling that wad firmly and slowly between my fingers until its sort of juicy and then squeeze out a drop works about 80% of the time. Some leaves just won't give it up🤣
So, 80% of the time it works all the time?

:laughtwo:

7 days is still pretty good! :thumb:

What are your thoughts about selecting for fast rooting from available rooted cuts? We probably all do that anyway because the earlier rooted cuts generally have the most roots at upcan time compared to the other choices, but do you think that trait carries forward or are those types of genes more related to seeds?
I always prefer the fastest rooters but slower rooters are people too🤣

Actually I find with Durban, which I know pretty good, that fast rooters are usually phenos of long rangy plants that yield huge, and slow rooters are usually the delicate phenos that don't produce as much, take a week longer to finish, but have the really nice smells and tastes.

They also usually photograph better.

But I still like the best rooters best😎

Let us know what you find, and how many swear words you invented trying to get juice out of that dang leaf!🤣🤣🤣
Ok. It went well. I took two leaves and stuffed the press pretty full and a slow gentle squeeze brought the drops! After checking cal I got a fuzzy 3. Not what I was expecting but it is what it is. She's a healthy plant just not 12+ brix healthy. I'm thinking they have to be eating more from mineral eating microbes? This Geoflora vegged a sweet looking plant.

I never mineralized this outdoor ground. If I have any gas in the tank this fall I want to go semi Rev recipe on it and see what happens. I can't go all the way my outdoor water is high ppm like 550 and salty from a softener. That's one reason I use Geoflora out there. I'll stick with Geoflora most likely too. Next week starts feeding flower nutes. Pistils came this week!

Back
Top Bottom