We tried vegan banana bread muffins over the w/e using soya yoghurt instead of egg
They are not set like a normal bread/sponge but still good [well, only reasonably ok, but don't tell my vegan GF lol]
I used 20g of bud in 400g of vegan butter, decarbed 125°C for 75 mins, cooked in the butter
The bud I used was Lemon Pineapple, no idea why it's called that but I definitely made it too strong

Last time [Blue Dream] I used similar amounts but only decarbed 45 mins at 120°C
The effect was more mild but lasted longer, I could still feel it next morning

Did I inadvertently change the THC from A to G or something?

Dosing THC Powder for recipes question:

If I use the chart below from the Royal Queen Seeds Blog on making THC Powder, I want to be sure I'm figuring this correctly.

The bowl I'm using for my dinner will contain about 2 cups of thick "soup".
The strain I used for my oil has a THC percent of 22% suggested by breeder, some estimate higher than that, but I am not positive how much without mine being tested. So, I'm going to go the lower end and figure about 19%. I will adjust as needed.

At 19% THC in the chart below, each teaspoon will be around 9 mg of THC.
Going online to see THC drink sizes, it's usually 12 ounce beverages with 10 mg of THC. = 1.2 mg per oz.

Here would be my calculation:

16 oz. soup x 1.2 mg = 19.2 mg of THC powder needed. (I would probably just round that to 20 mg. or slightly more than 2 teaspoons)

Does that sound correct? My brain is in a foggy right now. 😆

1722196614168.png

Like dust, this doesn't seem like a good option for me since I make my edibles with 300 to 500 mg of THC (dependent on strain) per serving in order to get high.

Like dust, this doesn't seem like a good option for me since I make my edibles with 300 to 500 mg of THC (dependent on strain) per serving in order to get high.
With that high a tolerance I'd imagine you extract into alcohol and then evaporate it off? The power definitely wouldn't work for you given the amount of malto you need.

Is that how you do it?

Did you test your blood sugar after using the powder?
I did not. I take it 4 times a day and haven't noticed any energy spikes, but maybe that's not necessarily a good tell.

After the powder has been in a jar for bit I find it clumps together when added to liquids, so I tried rescreening a dose right over the bowl and that seemed to work well, but I'll try it again tomorrow and pay more attention.

So, if I'm going to rescreen with each dose anyway I'm going to make a batch with half of the malto and see how that goes. It'll be more of a paste than a powder but hopefully by pushing it through a screen it'll come out similar to the powder.

With that high a tolerance I'd imagine you extract into alcohol and then evaporate it off? The power definitely wouldn't work for you given the amount of malto you need.

Is that how you do it?

No. I just infuse sunflower oil with decarbed cannabis. I've gotten into the habit of infusing already infused sunflower oil to increase the dose.

I did not. I take it 4 times a day and haven't noticed any energy spikes, but maybe that's not necessarily a good tell.

After the powder has been in a jar for bit I find it clumps together when added to liquids, so I tried rescreening a dose right over the bowl and that seemed to work well, but I'll try it again tomorrow and pay more attention.

So, if I'm going to rescreen with each dose anyway I'm going to make a batch with half of the malto and see how that goes. It'll be more of a paste than a powder but hopefully by pushing it through a screen it'll come out similar to the powder.
Humidity in the home might have an effect, I know it's high here right now. So, I actually taped a couple packets of food grade silica gel moisture absorbers to the inside cap of the mason jar. My powder looks the same as the day I made it right now.

I think even a paste is going to work, it should still dissolve completely.

No. I just infuse sunflower oil with decarbed cannabis. I've gotten into the habit of infusing already infused sunflower oil to increase the dose.
Interesting. I wonder how deep you can go before the oil is cannabinoid saturated and trying to add any more is just a waste. 🤔

I try to stuff 3 grams of flower into each tablespoon of oil (olive typically for me) and have wondered if I'm over the limit there. I wonder if there's a infusion capabilities table somewhere that would show how much each oil could absorb before saturation.

I think the math is wrong on the THC powder potency calculation in the article.

For example, the article states that a teaspoon of powder using their recipe equals 7mg of a 14% strain.

The recipe is
5 grams of cannabis (5,000 mg x 0.14 = 700 mg cannabinoids available)
32 grams of coconut oil which was approximately 3 tablespoons for me
150 grams of maltodextrin which was approximately 55 tablespoons for me

Ignoring the coconut oil for a moment, 700mg / 55 tablespoons = 12.727mg per tablespoon or 4.242mg per teaspoon (3 teaspoons per tablespoon) and that assumes the extract is 100% efficient. If we assume an 85% efficiency rate (some oil will remain in discarded plant material and our oil may not be completely efficient), then 4.242 becomes 3.61 mg per teaspoon (not their 7).

So my original suggestion that my powder was 11mg was actually per TABLESPOON not teaspoon and that makes the high consumption rate of malto required even more pronounced for me.

If we assume the powder is 2 times more bioavailable than straight oil then maybe using the suggested potency chart gives an "effective" dose of 7mg per teaspoon, but the rough math says it's not teaspoons.

In the recipe they show the weight (not volume) of malto but then dose in volume (teaspoons), but if my malto weight is even close to accurate I don't know how they got their numbers.

@Lady Cannafan did you have approximately 28 ounces of malto? I can't imagine mine was unusually dry and therefore lightweight, but something's off.

@Royal Queen Seeds any chance you could get the author to show his work? Maybe my math is off somewhere.
I can't wrap my head around calculations today. LOL

I will check on what the original package of Maltodextrin was.

The other site that had the recipe and the same photo was here:

Here's another recipe at one I cannot link to:

EQUIPMENT​

• Mixing bowl
  • Whisk or wooden spoon
  • Measuring cup or digital scale
  • Mesh sieve or flower sifter

INGREDIENTS​

• 30-60ml cannabis oil (infused MCT oil works best, but any infused oil will get the job done)
  • 250g of tapioca maltodextrin (a food-grade starch powder derived from tapioca, similar to potato or corn starch powder)
  • 1 teaspoon of liquid or powdered sunflower lecithin (a natural emulsifier derived form sunflowers that's amphiphilic, meaning it is soluble in both water and fat)
Note: Lecithin is the key ingredient that makes this powder water soluble as it is able to absorb and emulsify the cannabis oil when mixed into water.

Also, here's another site with a recipe I ran into:

For example, the article states that a teaspoon of powder using their recipe equals 7mg of a 14% strain.

The recipe is
150 grams of maltodextrin which was approximately 55 tablespoons for me

Ignoring the coconut oil for a moment, 700mg / 55 tablespoons = 12.727mg per tablespoon or 4.242mg per teaspoon (3 teaspoons per tablespoon) and that assumes the extract is 100% efficient. If we assume an 85% efficiency rate (some oil will remain in discarded plant material and our oil may not be completely efficient), then 4.242 becomes 3.61 mg per teaspoon (not their 7).

So my original suggestion that my powder was 11mg was actually per TABLESPOON not teaspoon and that makes the high consumption amount of malto required even more pronounced for me.

If we assume the powder is 2 times more bioavailable than straight oil then maybe using the suggested potency chart gives an "effective" dose of 7mg per teaspoon, but the rough math says it's not teaspoons.

In the recipe they show the weight (not volume) of malto but then dose in volume (teaspoons), but if my malto weight is even close to accurate I don't know how they got their numbers.

@Lady Cannafan did you have approximately 28 ounces of malto? I can't imagine mine was unusually dry and therefore lightweight, but something's off. Or, asked another way, what does your malto weigh per teaspoon or tablespoon? Mine was about 2.72 grams per tablespoon.

@Royal Queen Seeds any chance you could get the author to show his work? Maybe my math is off somewhere.
Do you mean 28 ounces after everything was done and mixed?

The recipe is
150 grams of maltodextrin which was approximately 55 tablespoons for me (@2.73g/T)

Ignoring the coconut oil for a moment, 700mg / 55 tablespoons = 12.727mg per tablespoon or 4.242mg per teaspoon (3 teaspoons per tablespoon) and that assumes the extract oil is 100% efficient. If we assume an 85% efficiency rate (some oil will remain in discarded plant material and our oil may not be completely efficient), then 4.242 becomes 3.61 mg per teaspoon (not their 7).

So my original suggestion that my powder was 11mg was actually per TABLESPOON not teaspoon and that makes the high consumption amount of malto required even more pronounced for me.

If we assume the powder is 2 times more bioavailable than straight oil then maybe using the suggested potency chart gives an "effective" dose of roughly 7mg per teaspoon, but the rough math says it's not teaspoons.

In the recipe they show the weight (not volume) of malto but then dose in volume (teaspoons) not weight so it's hard to know how weight translated to volume for them, but if my malto weight is even close to accurate I don't know how they got their numbers.

@Lady Cannafan did you have approximately 28 ounces of malto? I can't imagine mine was unusually dry and therefore lightweight, but something's off. Or, asked another way, what does your malto weigh per teaspoon or tablespoon? Mine was about 2.727 grams per tablespoon.

From my second batch, I weighed up the mixed powder and just the maltodextrin. I hope my mix was right. I mixed exactly as the recipe called for. I have not tested the second batch yet.
Milligrams, grams, ounces, tsp., tbls. trying to figure all at once.....it gets confusing.

Plain Malto: 2grams per tsp.
Mixed THC powder: 3 grams per tsp.

Note: Lecithin is the key ingredient that makes this powder water soluble as it is able to absorb and emulsify the cannabis oil when mixed into water.
This writeup seems to suggest it's the lecithin that's responsible for the water solubility and not the malto, but I guess that doesn't mean it's also responsible for the increased bioavailability.

Do you mean 28 ounces after everything was done and mixed?
No, before. Right out of the jar. I needed 55 tablespoons teaspoons or about 28 ounces of the malto to get to 150 grams.

@Azimuth
I have tried for almost a week now to find a site or a chart on dosages for the THC powder.
All I have been able to find are calculators for dosing in general, nothing saying specifically THC powder such as this.
If you find something, please let me know. I am still unsure how much of this powder I need to use, as you are.
A new area of learning everywhere apparently.
Im ok with the math and I usually figure out what I want for a dose and then back into how much herb I need. For example, when I make gummies, my mold makes 70 gummies. If I want them to each be 10 mg, that means I need 700 total mg. Dividing that by strain strength and efficiency rate will tell me how much bud I need. 700 / 0.15 / 0.85 = 5,490 milligrams or 5.49 grams of bud.

I put 2 grams of bud into each tablespoon of oil so that means I'll use 3 tablespoons of oil to extract into.

As far as how big a dose to take, I'd imagine it is likely well less than your typical dose since its supposed to be much better absorbed and therefore, I assume, more potent.

The original article you posted suggested typically very little is absorbed by the body using most inputs (smoking, edibles, etc.) They suggested it could be as low as 4% while the powder could be 60%. That's a big difference! I'd probably start with a dose that gives you 1/4 of your typical and work up from there . I do CBD and the upper limits are very high and there's no psyoactive effect so it's hard to tell if it's more potent for me or not.

Plain Malto: 2grams per tsp.
Mixed THC powder: 3 grams per tsp.
Hmmm. That's way different from mine as mine was 2.7 grams per tablespoon. I'll have to reweigh it. Your's would require 2/3rds less malto. If so, that would be more attractive for me.. Ok, thanks. Mine was 2.8 g /t.

One other thing, I've read multiple places on cooking sites that lecithin breaks down with heat so adding that ingredient after the extracting step, rather than concurrent with it, is probably a better way to go.

This writeup seems to suggest it's the lecithin that's responsible for the water solubility and not the malto, but I guess that doesn't mean it's also responsible for the increased bioavailability.

No, before. Right out of the jar. I needed 55 tablespoons or about 28 ounces of the malto to get to 150 grams.

Im ok with the math and I usually figure out what I want for a dose and then back into how much herb I need. For example, when I make gummies, my mold makes 70 gummies. If I want them to each be 10 mg, that means I need 700 total mg. Dividing that by strain strength and efficiency rate will tell me how much bud I need. 700 / 0.15 / 0.85 = 5,490 milligrams or 5.49 grams of bud.

I put 2 grams of bud into each tablespoon of oil so that means I'll use 3 tablespoons of oil to extract into.

As far as how big a dose to take, I'd imagine it is likely well less than your typical dose since its supposed to be much better absorbed and therefore, I assume, more potent.

The original article you posted suggested typically very little is absorbed by the body using most inputs (smoking, edibles, etc.) They suggested it could be as low as 4% while the powder could be 60%. That's a big difference! I'd probably start with a dose that gives you 1/4 of your typical and work up from there . I do CBD and the upper limits are very high and there's no psyoactive effect so it's hard to tell if it's more potent for me or not.

Hmmm. That's way different from mine as mine was 2.7 grams per tablespoon. I'll have to reweigh it. Your's would require 2/3rds less malto. If so, that would be more attractive for me.
I wonder if there is a difference in the Malto manufacturer somehow. Here's the brand I used with the second batch:

Also, just to clarify, my weights on the malto were done in teaspoons, not tablespoons. :)
I weighed up the dry straight malto. 150 grams = 5.3 ounces

( edited that from the first posting of 4.6 oz. I forgot that I had zeroed out my scale after setting the container on it. So, I didn't have to subtract the weight of the container)

I wonder if there is a difference in the Malto manufacturer somehow. Here's the brand I used with the second batch:

Also, just to clarify, my weights on the malto were done in teaspoons, not tablespoons. :)

( edited that from the first posting of 4.6 oz. I forgot that I had zeroed out my scale after setting the container on it. So, I didn't have to subtract the weight of the container)
Thanks. I just reweighed mine and turns out I did the same (I think). I teaspoon of the malto was 2.816 grams and I'm pretty sure I measured with teaspoons, not tablespoons.

So, my math above is invalid. I'll edit what I still can, and I'll recalculate the numbers but I'm likely back to my original thoughts.

My revised math:

5 grams of 15% bud at 85% efficiency (5,000 x 0.15 x 0.85 = 637.5 mg)
637.5 mg / 55 teaspoons = 11.59 mg per teaspoon.

I can increase that as I can easily get at least one additional gram into the three tablespoons of oil and probably two so I can likely get it up to 15mg per teaspoon, although for THC I'd probably go the other way and use less, either less bud in the oil or less powder at the end, maybe start with 1/4 teaspoon and work up.

And how many teaspoons or tablespoons
was that, any idea?

By weight 150 grams equals 5.291 ounces so that makes sense.

But ounces can also be a volume measurement as in 2 tablespoons or 6 teaspoons to the ounce and that's what we need to know to calculate dosage if we are going to dose by teaspoon rather than a scale.

Back
Top Bottom