The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Bug week.............

Have you ever laid down in a field of flowers, or on a nice lawn to stare at the clouds...or even take a nap? Used to do that when we were younger...now I'll think a little differently about what is hiding in that stuff that I'm lying in. :laughtwo:

These next two were smaller than mosquitos.

This one acted like a skunk turning his back on me to spray something.

bug_11.jpg

"I'll take that tiger neon suit to live in please, and can you put it on my account?"

neon.jpg

How 'bout those new slippers?

Slippers.jpg

I found the jelly ppls., and I was right that they are in the Orchid family.

Interesting what they use to attract the insects, it's something a bit more addictive than jelly.....

Helleborine (Epipactis helleborine) is a common woodland plant which is easily overlooked due to its inconspicuous, small, greenish-purple flowers. However, this modest member of the Orchid family brings pollination to a new level. Its structure is said to not be morphologically attractive to insects, so Helleborine has come up with another strategy to get its flowers pollinated. It produces nectar that contains several chemicals, including oxycodone, a drug which has a morphine-like effect on organisms that ingest it. When insects drink the oxycodone-laced nectar, they become sluggish, which prolongs the amount of time they spend at the flower, which, in turn, increases the chances that the flower will be pollinated.

jelly_flower_2.jpg

IMG_80856.jpg

Thank you, you sweet man. :love:

I'm sorry you injured yourself defending your house against attack. Darn flying stingy things.

The most physical thing I did this weekend was bring home a massage table found free beside the road (I think it came from 'one of those' massage businesses,) wipe the top cover, spray the wood underneath with SNS217 Rosemary oil, set it up in a corner of the bedroom, and give my wife a 1 hour massage. After that I was free to do as little as I wanted the rest of the weekend :)

20150718_095837.jpg

Good grief Rad. Enough of this perfection already! :laughtwo:

Canna, this has to be my favorite stop for the day. You've created a delightful spot for renewal. Thank you so much for that. :love:

Canna, this has to be my favorite stop for the day. You've created a delightful spot for renewal. Thank you so much for that. :love:

Thank you Sue. I am so glad to read it helps. You wouldn't believe how often I stop here myself and just dream at all of the beautiful things on these pages. :)

Just got home from work, had my dinner (I just can't get used to eating a full dinner at this time of night) and heading for bed.

Hope you have a good night, and get some rest.

:circle-of-love:

And curious, how do they dye flowers?

Well there is a couple different ways. You have spray can dyes, they can be dipped in the dye and easiest yet, absorption. For those tie dye roses you have to split the stem in multiple places submerging only one split at a time. You can do it at home too, just place a cutting in a small jar filled with dye and let it soak up. Queen Anne's Lace is a fun one to do it too, heck those wild sweet peas will even dye. Better yet grab an extra clone from one of your cannabis plants or if you have a small bud branch and watch it pop, they like the purps huh. ;)

The Helleborine says it's invasive, I could use some cool plants that grow in shade. I'm going to sneak over and dig some up, might try the nectar too. Lol, if I'm out at the coyote chow line towards dark, you can bet the nectar did me in, come drag me back. :) That's so cool, an invasive wild orchid!

And nobody has called me a sweet man in years! :laughtwo: :love:

IMG_7886.jpg

IMG_78842.jpg

This is the butterfly, not the best pic. It was windy that day and I think this one was smart to get low and gran something with some weight. :)

IMG_79291.jpg

In lieu of bug week.

IMG_80821.jpg

The infamous yard beast!

IMG_20150622_115956.jpg

I'm going to take a stab at these butterflies.....
A Swallowtail and a Monarch

Did I get them right Radogast?? If so, what do I win??? A new car? YEY!

Love the dragonfly Smokey, he travels a long way. :)

I'm going to take a look at how many of the jelly people plants are out there. I only saw the one stalk at the edge of a two track. If they are invasive, that's okay by me. Maybe I can send you some root systems or something.

I think the coyote chow line would be an interesting experience for you at night, you would get trampled by the deer trying to escape the 4 legged hunters and the bobcat hanging around might snuggle up with you.....while the box turtles try to dig under you to lay their eggs. LOL

I didn't see whether they were perennial or just from dropped seed though, so they may seed out. I wouldn't be surprised if the bobcats snuggle with me, maybe the coyotes too. I have always had a way with animals, I think they can just see deeper into ones soul and know who's worth what. :)

I'm off for the day so have a great one Cannafan and all others!

The Helleborine says it's invasive, I could use some cool plants that grow in shade. I'm going to sneak over and dig some up, might try the nectar too. Lol, if I'm out at the coyote chow line towards dark, you can bet the nectar did me in, come drag me back. That's so cool, an invasive wild orchid

I did some digging, yes they are considered invasive. Wisconsin has a restricted plant law. ;-)

They are called "Poor Man's Lady Slipper" in some areas.

They do produce seeds. I went out and found two plants, one with a broken stem. I brought the broken top in and placed it in a glass of water with a paper plate under it to collect any future seeds that drop out. I will have to wait for the flowers to dry up, they are very tiny seeds. The calyx's will fill up with them soon.

The leaves look just like Lady Slippers' leaves. (Lady Slippers are an Orchid)

It was said to have been imported from Europe as a medicinal plant, or decorative.

Dispersal Potential (how it travels) is listed as Wind. No shortage of that between here and Wisconsin!

There are people out there trying to find out how much of the nectar to collect in order to get a high. LOL

Now I'm going to check if Lady Slippers seed out. Maybe I can get my property dotted with them again.....

Well, I only got two pictures today for bug week. But while I was out there I ran into some other friends.

Here's bugs...
The pattern on this guy is pretty cool.

bug_22.jpg

And a small butterfly that just wouldn't get into the sun for me:

butterfly_9.jpg

While photographing the butterfly I heard leaves rustling at my feet. It was this young turtle trying to flee the area:

turtle_3.jpg

And on the grape leaves again this year are baby tree frogs. Last year I only saw one, this year there's two...that I could see.

tree_frog1.jpg

tree_frog_2.jpg

You are correct !

You prize results are kept in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnel's porch. Noone could possibly know in advance what your prize will be!

Back when Ilived in Arizona, I used to see coyote and road runner about once every two months, but never at the same time.
The way road runners flash their eye colors and flip feathers is fascinating.. It's also cool that they stretch out longer and lower when running fast :)

:thanks:

Thanks Cannafan and Radogast for the butterfly confirmation. Thanks for all that additional info on the Helleborine as well Cannafan. :) I would have tried to get some better pics of the butterfly but, as I said it was a bit windy and I stood a little bit back as to not bother it though.

I've got no shortage of bugs, that's for sure.

IMG_57683.jpg

IMG_58744.jpg

IMG_59482.jpg

IMG_73982.jpg

Not quite pupae looking but if you have just an alien fantasy Radogast, it might play to it.

IMG_59765.jpg

Here's a better view of the dragonfly's wings as well.

IMG_59066.jpg

LOL, I have tried so hard to stay away from the arachnids with the pictures. I shudder when I take them. The daddy long legs are having their annual mating season on the grape vines, there are dozens of them. I don't get shudders at them too much....but I still don't like them.

Great shots Smokey! Was the one lying on it's back looking for a belly rub or what? :laughtwo:

I'm going to start out the morning with some additions to bug week. The grape vines are an incredible source of entertainment for me. I looked at a tiny black spot on a large leaf and saw this:

Black_LadyB_1.jpg

It's a black LadyBug. I have never seen one of these before. The color is like wet paint just poured.

Black_LadyB_2.jpg

And this translucent lady was trying to get into the plant den. If it wasn't for the green tint on her wings you wouldn't be able to see them at all.

Green_Bug1.jpg

Maybe more later. I have to go out and put some protection around my surprise squash plant. It's flowering now and I don't want wascawy wabbit to chew up my fruit.

:thanks:

Not quite pupae looking but if you have just an alien fantasy Radogast, it might play to it.

IMG_59765.jpg

I had an alien fantasy as a child, when I became a man, I gave childish things -!!! NOT!!! - whom am I, St. Paul ?

SmokesDaKush said:
Here's a better view of the dragonfly's wings as well.

IMG_59066.jpg

Fascinating small opaque areas near the tip of the wing on the leading edge.

I wonder why they need those more visible tips:
Are they sexy to other dragons?
Do they help them achieve better spacing when flying in formation?
Are they anti-crash signals for stupid birds?

Back
Top Bottom