The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Get out of Dodge, Grizz.....you thought "how much wood would a wood chuck chuck" was just a tongue twister......:rofl::rofl:

Too cute, dude....but it's true....wood chucks are real....

Hilarious, Grizz :rofl::rofl: they are definitely real

No woodchucks down these parts, lol. .. Kinda looks like a tough possum on steroids (Australia's version of a squirrel)..... My little fox terrier used to lift his corner lip and show a tooth, with a little growl. Elvis growl we'd call it, lol...

No woodchucks down these parts, lol. .. Kinda looks like a tough possum on steroids (Australia's version of a squirrel)..... My little fox terrier used to lift his corner lip and show a tooth, with a little growl. Elvis growl we'd call it, lol...

LOL Grizz...I've seen dogs do that. It is just so cute. ;-)

This woodchuck is quite large for this area. Wonder where he got his steroids? It's bigger than most of the raccoon's I have here. And don't let that calm stature he appears to have fool you...they can tear into anything and probably win. I wouldn't have gotten any closer than I did. Mean azzed critters when they have to be.

LOL Smokey! I'm afraid my two kitty's would run....they aren't outdoor cats. One of them is shortly to be though.

So, the challenge is on!!! This wiley woodchuck knows not who he's dealing with.

That S.O.B. managed to find it's way out of that heavy duty coyote trap! He dug the hell out of the ground beneath it and in front, and somehow got lucky with the trap door in the front. I had one raccoon do this a couple years ago, 3 times.
Thing is, animals are rather dumb sometimes. If I move the trap, and put different bait in it...they'll go back in. LOL

So,l reset tonight with some crab apples and orange marmalade....

LOL Smokey! I'm afraid my two kitty's would run....they aren't outdoor cats. One of them is shortly to be though.

So, the challenge is on!!! This wiley woodchuck knows not who he's dealing with.

That S.O.B. managed to find it's way out of that heavy duty coyote trap! He dug the hell out of the ground beneath it and in front, and somehow got lucky with the trap door in the front. I had one raccoon do this a couple years ago, 3 times.
Thing is, animals are rather dumb sometimes. If I move the trap, and put different bait in it...they'll go back in. LOL

So,l reset tonight with some crab apples and orange marmalade....

My woodchucks are cute !

20150430_141935-1.jpg

20150430_141949-1.jpg

20150430_142055-1.jpg

20150429_090046-1.jpg

There're all over the place here and all in the fields on both sides of the house..... I actually put bread and dog food out by the side of the field so I can watch them but I wouldn't want to go out and try to pet one I don't think..... My big dog chases em' all the time but never catches them.... and it seems from the looks of the roads around here... it's been a rough year for them so far.... lots of squished ones on the back roads....:circle-of-love:

I am going to go out in a bit and get some pics of the hibiscus... she is starting to bloom in all her glory and 1 of the white gladiolas has bloomed and the blue bells are everywhere out in the fields...
Rad can you tell me how to clone a Mimosa tree...:confused: I have several of them on the property.... and I think they are just beautiful... and I would like to have several of them along one side of the field between the house and the south field......:circle-of-love:

I sure wish my particular woodchuck appeared as friendly and "cute" as that. LOL
Mine has an attitude....
Cute pictures Radogast!

I have been waiting forever to get a shot of these blue winged dragonfly's, and finally one sat on the honeysuckle long enough yesterday for me to get up close and personal! The blue on their wings is almost neon-ish iridescence and you can see them flying from far away.

Blue_wing_dragonfly.jpg

I am going to go out in a bit and get some pics of the hibiscus... she is starting to bloom in all her glory and 1 of the white gladiolas has bloomed and the blue bells are everywhere out in the fields...
Rad can you tell me how to clone a Mimosa tree...:confused: I have several of them on the property.... and I think they are just beautiful... and I would like to have several of them along one side of the field between the house and the south field......:circle-of-love:

Mimosa Tree (Albizia somesthingthing) is a legume. They are excellent at reproducing from seed and I believe they all breed true - no grafting required.

Are you telling me you don't get volunteer Mimosa trees every year? I used to get volunteer Mimosa in Arizona, even with pre-emergent weed killer spray.

If you don't get germinating seeds outdoors, you could try to plant the seeds indoors on a heating mat. I've not heard of a sterile Mimosa breed.

Thank you Rad.... and the ones in my fields do throw all over the place but I want them to line the side of the corn field... So can ya give me a hint on how I find the seeds...:confused: I know these are probably really dumb questions but I have rooted 5 of them and planted them and they always die.... so maybe if I can find a way to get the seeds I can get better results... Let me make sure I am calling it the right thing too... they are bladed leaves with old fashioned looking pink lace blooms...:confused:....:circle-of-love:

I've been gardening all morning. It's so beautiful outside! Got the underground sprinkling turned on...YEY and Glory Hallelujah! no leaks, cracks or split pipes. Gotta love it.

I thought Radogast would find this interesting. About fifteen years ago I took on a major project at the deck area of the pond. I wanted a waterfall.....and a fountain in the pond.....

I built a frame from landscaping bricks and poured cement for the bottom of the "pools". They were lined with black pond liner plastic. Then I mixed up cement and put it down, and carefully placed rocks into it while it was wet. There are actually 4 "pools" that the water drops into and it empties into the pond. (which the fish love to hang out at)

The top part that the water comes from is an old heavy duty rubber tub that I used to feed my horses their grain in. There is a hose curled up in there and that hose is connected to a pipe to an old underground sprinkler pump, there is another pipe that goes another direction to the fountain on the pond (which is disconnected and in need of repair at the moment)
There are two spigots, one for the waterfall and the other goes to a soaker hose for the plants around the pond walkway. I can turn either one off at any time.
Through the years the cement has started breaking apart, so my project this year is to get the rocks dumped out there to fill the gaps. I have plenty of small rocks.
This is right behind the pond deck and I listen to it when I sit out there. It's a soothing sound. I can make it just a trickle or a major stream. I planted a flowering bush that eventually is supposed to cover up the ugliness of the rubber tub and connections. I have some training to do on that. I'm seriously considering getting the honeysuckle around there. Those grow quite fast.

It needs some work. It is nothing like the beautiful system you have going Rado, but I fully understand how much you are going to enjoy it. :)

waterfall_2.jpg

waterfall_3.jpg

waterfall_1.jpg

The frogs absolutely love hanging out in the upper main pool.

waterfall_frog.jpg

I've been gardening all morning. It's so beautiful outside! Got the underground sprinkling turned on...YEY and Glory Hallelujah! no leaks, cracks or split pipes. Gotta love it.

I thought Radogast would find this interesting. About fifteen years ago I took on a major project at the deck area of the pond. I wanted a waterfall.....and a fountain in the pond.....

I built a frame from landscaping bricks and poured cement for the bottom of the "pools". They were lined with black pond liner plastic. Then I mixed up cement and put it down, and carefully placed rocks into it while it was wet. There are actually 4 "pools" that the water drops into and it empties into the pond. (which the fish love to hang out at)

The top part that the water comes from is an old heavy duty rubber tub that I used to feed my horses their grain in. There is a hose curled up in there and that hose is connected to a pipe to an old underground sprinkler pump, there is another pipe that goes another direction to the fountain on the pond (which is disconnected and in need of repair at the moment)
There are two spigots, one for the waterfall and the other goes to a soaker hose for the plants around the pond walkway. I can turn either one off at any time.
Through the years the cement has started breaking apart, so my project this year is to get the rocks dumped out there to fill the gaps. I have plenty of small rocks.
This is right behind the pond deck and I listen to it when I sit out there. It's a soothing sound. I can make it just a trickle or a major stream. I planted a flowering bush that eventually is supposed to cover up the ugliness of the rubber tub and connections. I have some training to do on that. I'm seriously considering getting the honeysuckle around there. Those grow quite fast.

It needs some work. It is nothing like the beautiful system you have going Rado, but I fully understand how much you are going to enjoy it. :)

waterfall_2.jpg

waterfall_3.jpg

waterfall_1.jpg

The frogs absolutely love hanging out in the upper main pool.

waterfall_frog.jpg

I like that a lot. :) I believe there are spirits of the land enjoying the pools.
You can feel good about your little pools and waterfalls just like you feel good about your big, bountiful pond :green_heart:
I bet it makes great sounds.

Thank you Rad.... and the ones in my fields do throw all over the place but I want them to line the side of the corn field... So can ya give me a hint on how I find the seeds...:confused: I know these are probably really dumb questions but I have rooted 5 of them and planted them and they always die.... so maybe if I can find a way to get the seeds I can get better results... Let me make sure I am calling it the right thing too... they are bladed leaves with old fashioned looking pink lace blooms...:confused:....:circle-of-love:

The seeds appear in long thin bean pods longer than your hands. They dry to a flat brown and make rattle sounds in the autumn.
Store seeds or seed pods (with pods you remember what they are) in a dry, darkish root vegetable kind of place over the winter.
In spring, scarify (take individual seeds and file them in one spot until you see the white stuff.)
Soak in warm water for 24 hrs.
Plant in 1/2 gal to 1 gal pots. Keep warm and moist (think the jungles of Vietnam or Sumatra where tigers roam )
Veg until they are at least 1 ft tall and it is warm outside to plant outdoors.

hmmm. :hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::dreamy::dreamy::dreamy::scratchinghead::scratchinghead::scratchinghead: I wonder if anyone here has a place suitable for vegging plants indoors :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom