Sweetsue's First Grow - Stealthy Trio of Autos Under CFLs

I'm trying so hard to keep from anticipating a final yield, so thanks for the votes of confidence. The grow is pretty much running itself now. I turn them, replenish water and adjust the lights to keep from toasting anyone. I am amazed at the strength of this soil. How easy is this?

Sue, I am watching yours LOS grow for when I am ready to do a big living grow. My current location is probably not best for it. I need a stabilized temp zone. All of my grow spaces have temp ranges of 100+ in summer. Ergo my desire to figure out a deep freezer based "chilled" grow environment, where I can control temps 100%. Once there, I will want to incorporate your living soil design, and an auto water only system remote watering.

sorry. I just wanted to let you know that you're doing great and at your current rate to expect over an ounce from the two :)

No offense taken b. I just keep looking at them and thinking "Wow! These are doing great! I wonder how much ........?" and I try to stop myself right there. :laugh:

I want to enjoy the experience of this grow without self-imposed pressures to produce any amount. It's difficult to suspend the sense of expectation. I budgeted this as a hobby expense to keep myself from thinking if it in the meds account and thinking it HAD to produce. Having so much to study and research so I can continue to master the art of indoor gardening helps to distract me. No matter what I get from this harvest I know it will be stronger soil on the next run. The first grow is for experience. The second, to begin improving the skill.

I must admit I'm having the time of my life learning. I chose to quit my job last year and stay home for my husband's safety and I have a need to continue learning. I find this hobby we share to be therapeutic and stimulating. Yesterday my husband laughingly referred to me as Mother Earth when he found me for the umpteenth time watching the plants grow, studying their structure and taking in the finer features, and I thought "Appropriate". :blushsmile: :green_heart:

:Namaste:

Sue, I am watching yours LOS grow for when I am ready to do a big living grow. My current location is probably not best for it. I need a stabilized temp zone. All of my grow spaces have temp ranges of 100+ in summer. Ergo my desire to figure out a deep freezer based "chilled" grow environment, where I can control temps 100%. Once there, I will want to incorporate your living soil design, and an auto water only system remote watering.

akisunni, if anyone can pull it off I believe you can. I was in awe reading your journal. What you could do with living soil would stun people. I look forward to following your path to that end.

Lol your plants look like their side branches were LST'ed naturally Sue, I'm so so so impressed. Your grow proves beyond any doubt the power of an LOS. I agree - they're doing so well, I can hardly imagine them yielding badly at this point. When I was cfl bashing earlier in your journal - that was probably ill founded - its certainly do-able to grow great buds under CFL's, and as you know I use CFL's in my veg all the time, just during flower its a lot more of a challenge to get them to yield similar to LED's (a challenge you really have risen to!)

I can't thank you enough for doing such a great journal so I'll just keep doing it. :thanks:

And I completely agree with her aki- you have the desire and the talent to totally sail an LOS grow. I can't wait to see you do it. Combined with your tech skills, that will be absolutely Awesome, period. really cool. :)

No offense taken b. I just keep looking at them and thinking "Wow! These are doing great! I wonder how much ........?" and I try to stop myself right there. :laugh:

I want to enjoy the experience of this grow without self-imposed pressures to produce any amount. It's difficult to suspend the sense of expectation. I budgeted this as a hobby expense to keep myself from thinking if it in the meds account and thinking it HAD to produce. Having so much to study and research so I can continue to master the art of indoor gardening helps to distract me. No matter what I get from this harvest I know it will be stronger soil on the next run. The first grow is for experience. The second, to begin improving the skill.

I must admit I'm having the time of my life learning. I chose to quit my job last year and stay home for my husband's safety and I have a need to continue learning. I find this hobby we share to be therapeutic and stimulating. Yesterday my husband laughingly referred to me as Mother Earth when he found me for the umpteenth time watching the plants grow, studying their structure and taking in the finer features, and I thought "Appropriate". :blushsmile: :green_heart:

A wide decision on avoiding the trap of expectations.
Suffering happens at the intersection of expectations and reality.

I follow this grow BECAUSE you channel Mother Earth as you grow.
I've been immersing myself in the teachings of druids, herbalists and other mystics for several months - it's nice to spend time with independent thinkers and observers of nature.

Thank you Radogast. I follow you for the same reason. Thank you all for the encouraging words. I will to continue to give the credit to this wonderful soil mix and the amazing SWICK set up. (Thank you Noobwannb). :love:

I've taken to heart what akkisunni pointed out about the daily updates. There are, as far as I can see, no other growers attempting to do Autos with LOS, which makes these daily updates a necessary resource to the community at large, so I will continue posting them. They have become a delightful addition to the beginning of my days.

Another quarter turn to spread the light love around and get better penetration. Both took about 2 cups of water in the basins to top off. I just shove the bags that hold the perlite aside and keep adding water until I can see the shimmer of the water surface again. I cannot say enough about this SWICK system. Water daily and let the plants determine their individual needs. Consider, if you will, the ease of maintaining the water balance during the stretch. This is turning out to be one of my most beneficial finds. As an extra bonus, gnat populations are steadily disappearing as the SWICK system sets itself. :slide:

The Bomb is now just under 14 1/2" and her sister/companion right behind her at 14".

image17427.jpg

A couple canopy shots. The Bomb, outgrowing the space.....

image17428.jpg

.... and Buddha busting out of her own side of the closet.

image17429.jpg

Lest you guys start believing I am some super gardener, proof that I screw up too. They are growing so fast that I often find them growing into the lights. This makes me sad, but when I find this happening I immediately apologize, shift the plant or the light and usually spend some time comforting the wounded plant. :laughtwo: There are little burn marks on many leaves, I fear. They have been graciously forgiving and continue to amaze me in their growth.

image17430.jpg

I wanted to share the riot of bud development going on in the lower branches. First up, the proper THC Bomb...

image17431.jpg

.... and the party ready happy Buddha. Can't you just hear her laughing?

image17432.jpg

I tracked down some organic popcorn and will begin sprouting later today. The plants will get a generous glass of coconut water later today as well. Time for a nice enzyme boost or two.

Time to wake The Lord of the House. It's Sunday. We have coffee with breakfast on Sundays. I try to limit his coffee consumption to one a day (finances and that heart we're rehabilitating) but I have a soft spot for him, so I relent and add an extra on Sunday mornings. I always greet him with a chorus of "Sweeten my coffee with a morning kiss..." Gosh, I love this man. :circle-of-love:

Have a great day everyone.

I was thinking about my SWICK system. Noobwannb suggests increasing the organic matter in the mix by almost 25%. I made some newbie mistakes in the beginning that worked in my favor here and this was one of them. It's recommended that you hydrate the sphagnum peat moss before adding it to the basic mix. That little gem of information missed my brain until it was too late, so I inadvertently added more than I would have. Because I was so involved in the mixing and wetting as the soil cooked for the initial month it was all hydrated before planting, but it was also the higher mix ratio that I needed once I found out about the SWICK possibilities.

I love it when the universe works ahead of me, preparing for eventualities I didn't even know were coming. Like meeting COorganics just as I was getting ready to set up to use PeeJay's soil mixes, and finding PeeJay right before I started to get ready to begin ordering supplies to follow the TLO approach. I live a blessed life, and I'm well aware of it.

Life is sweet.

I had to pull myself away from grow journal grazing to begin the Sprouted Seed Tea.

First the tap water, treated to a drop of molasses to neutralize the chloramines and shaken well in a clean glass jar.

image17438.jpg

One ounce of organic, non-GMO popcorn.

image17439.jpg

After ten minutes, when the chloramines are neutralized, add the corn to the jar and loosely cap. Just set the lid on top and

image17440.jpg

...place it in a dark, out-of-the-way spot that maintains a reasonable and even temperature. Right here behind the bananas looks like a good spot.

image17441.jpg

I went to buildasoil to review info on the use of corn for sprouted seed tea. They've got a decent tutorial there on the sprouting process that I highly recommend.

Some of the high spots from my research:

The enzymes we are most concerned with here are cytokinins, and the cytokinins in corn rival those found in the more expensive coconut water. Popcorn is much easier to source and afford.

What we can expect from the cytokinins:
- stimulate cell division
- stimulate shoot and bud development
- releases apical domination to stimulate lateral bud growth
- leaves will expand in size due to cell enlargement
- stimulates chlorophyll synthesis

My Adapted Recipe For Making a Sprouted Seed Tea with Popcorn

1 ounce popcorn

Soak for 12-24 hours with Clean Water

Empty out the first run of water (it contains growth-stunting elements) and begin sprouting process, being certain to rinse them with clean water every morning and evening until tails are long enough.

Sprout seeds until tail is about 1 inch long, or about 2 days.

Purée with a little bit of water to help it blend.

Add this to 2 1/2 gallons water and share with the gardener downstairs, because that will be too much for me.

My hope is to develop stronger side branches. These girls are going to need it when they start to build up the flowers.

Clackamas Coots recommends switching between corn and alfalfa tea throughout veg. I don't have any alfalfa this run, but you can be sure I'll acquire some by the next grow.

The experiment begins.

Are you still gonna go wits the Mars II sue?

I was actually hoping for the Intelligent Gro Tru90, but they are currently out of stock, and I haven't heard any reply from the manufacturer (bummer), so I'm wide open to other options. The Mars II is certainly attractive at this point. With such a small space I think I can be adaptable. I'm still waiting for the W2 so I can process the refund. They're doing quite well under the CFLs though, and I still have more to add to the array. It will be interesting to see what effect introducing the LED at later flowering will have on them.

I was also reading up on LA's Backbuilding technique. I plan to incorporate that sweet trick for sure when the time comes.

Day 38 for The Bomb, now standing 15" tall, and Day 37 for Buddha at 14 1/2".

image17462.jpg

I wanted to show you how thick and straight this girl's stem is growing. When I compare them side-by-side it's so obvious that at some point she's going to sprint to the front. She's not spreading as horizontally as The Bomb.

image17464.jpg

Last night I got creative with the Velcro and forced The Bomb to become more vertical.

image17465.jpg

While I was out skimming through the Christmas leftovers I found this little lovely in the 90% off bin at Lowe's for a mere $1.73. It's a watering tool for the tree. We use an artificial tree, but this makes filling the reservoirs much easier than trying to pour water from a watering can.

image17466.jpg

It has this thin tube inside that can be used to check the water level (stick into basin, stop with finger tip, lift to check water level - like playing with a straw).

image17469.jpg

As long as I get any water trapped at the end I'm good.

image17467.jpg

All I need to see is the shimmer of water in the basin.

image17470.jpg

It had a handy-dandy Velcro strap for hanging up. This picture gives you a good look at how dinged up these walls are after more than 110 years, many of them as a run-down crack house before being saved by our landlords. You can appreciate why I went with the smooth flat white project boards hung over these walls. Smooth reflective surfaces do the job more efficiently.

image17468.jpg

It was time to up the wattage and shift the spectrum to a warmer tone for continued flowering. I'm running a bit behind my schedule, but things appear to be going nicely. It was a fluid plan anyway. I also corrected my math on the wattage and lumens. This is why I am NOT an accountant. :laugh:

image17471.jpg

I spend a tremendous amount of time trying to make practical sense of all the information available. Thought I'd share my most recent notes on Kelp. I have some kelp meal on its way and I'm excited about adding it in.

image17472.jpg

I'm trying to teach myself to do mind mapping. This is as far as I've gone. I need to let myself go and illustrate it next. It's harder than I thought to just allow my brain to create little drawings to illustrate the points. I'm getting closer. I'll keep working on that skill.

On with the day. Have a great one everyone.

:laughtwo: never seen someone have their branches so naturally horizontal that they had to train them vertically. Awesome work! - honestly Sue I think this journal is 1 of the top 3 - if not the best - journal going here right now. At least as far as information and teaching new growers in depth. We're very lucky to have you here. Thanks for sharing it all with us!!! :love: :thanks:

by the way - any idea why pests dislike Kelp? That's something I've heard CC say quite a few times but he never went into what compounds do what and why. hahaha I almost guess its because of the strong seaweed smell. I've been wondering haha...

:laughtwo: never seen someone have their branches so naturally horizontal that they had to train them vertically. Awesome work! - honestly Sue I think this journal is 1 of the top 3 - if not the best - journal going here right now. At least as far as information and teaching new growers in depth. We're very lucky to have you here. Thanks for sharing it all with us!!! :love: :thanks:

by the way - any idea why pests dislike Kelp? That's something I've heard CC say quite a few times but he never went into what compounds do what and why. hahaha I almost guess its because of the strong seaweed smell. I've been wondering haha...

Ocean bugs are all over kelp when it washes up on the beach. Flies swarm kelp as intense as a dead crab.
Then again, kelp fresh from the water is covered with underwater life. They are like underwater jungle vines :)

Hi Sue, first time grower here. Your journal is unbelievable, really have done a good job, hopefully I'll get to your stage at some point! Just a message to say I'm also growing THC Bomb Auto's, I have 2 in soil, almost ready to get cut down. Never seen a method like yours before, really am intrigued by it!

Please check my Journal and let me know what you think!

Stainless - THC Bomb Auto (Indoor) - 2014-2015 - First Ever Grow Journal

SoilGirl, I'll have to look it up tomorrow, but I think it's not so much that the pests don't like kelp as it is that kelp helps build strong, healthy soil communities and vigorously healthy plants that more easily resist pests.

But I'll look into it.

Thank you sweet girl. I'm just having a delightful time growing these beautiful plants in my living room closet. :laugh: Journaling is still a new experience for me. My degree is actually elementary ed with certification in Early Childhood, so this teaching materials stuff is right up my alley. I'm glad others enjoy it as much as I do. If someone behind me finds it a little easier to make the transition to LOS, it was all worth it.

Back
Top Bottom