Mine are rootbound in 7g cloth pots and they're much smaller plants. Fabric pots don't prevent plants from getting rootbound, they postpone it. They also make for "better" rootbinding (?) by filling the pot with feeder roots rather than the huge roots wrapping around the inside edge of solid pots.

You could try coring at various angles and depths (just not all the way to the bottom) with barbecue skewers or heavy gauge wire.

Okay. I'm officially worried about Ebony and Donatra.
Over the last few days Ebony stepped up the rate at which she was eating and dropping her fan leaves. I figured it was due to being late in flower, and that since she's showing signs of getting ready to finish in the next two or three weeks there wasn't any problem. Now her leaves are taking on a mottled appearance, and she isn't feeding/drinking well.
I think it looks like a root issue. I borrowed my neighbour's ph pen to check the medium and the feed she's been getting, and both are fine.
Donatra wasn't showing any signs of any problems until today. She dropped a whole lot of leaves today in the wind and rain. Some of them were perfectly green and didn't show any signs of deficiency or damage. Even the spot where they had attached to the stem looked like normal abcission. As if she decided she didn't need them and just dropped them.
Ph also normal, both medium and feed.
The real kicker? They're receiving different nutrients. One is MC the other is Remo.
I'm really not sure what's going on here, but I flushed both out (although the rain had already done that) and gave them both a full feed (the one I had checked the ph on, neither needed adjustment). Jacinda has more yellow than she did a few days ago, but not like the other two. She also still has a lot of green ones.
I really don't know what's going on here.
Just as a reminder, the 3 in pots are in 26 litres/7 gallons of Promix Organic Vegetable and Herb mix, with two being fed MC, and one being fed Remo.

Well, here's the usual update. Maybe you'll see something I missed.
63 50
Space Grow 21 September 2022.jpg

Lucille Skywalker - day 163
Skywalker OG
Space Grow 21 September 2022 Lucille bud.jpg

Jacinda the Ripper - day 161
Jack the Ripper
Space Grow 21 September 2022 Jacinda.jpg

Space Grow 21 September 2022 Jacinda bud.jpg

Space Grow 21 September 2022 Jacinda pistils.jpg

Commander Donatra - day 150
Romulan
Space Grow 21 September 2022 Donatra.jpg

Space Grow 21 September 2022 Donatra bud.jpg

Ebony - day 140
Black Amnesia Haze
Space Grow 21 September 2022 Ebony.jpg

Space Grow 21 September 2022 Ebony bud.jpg

Space Grow 21 September 2022 Ebony pistils.jpg

I thought they were, but now I'm not so sure. I hope you got the SNS on them in time too.

Time for an edible, nothing I can do tonight.
Hope you all have a great evening.
Not nutrient related if it's 2 different ones.
Not picking up nitrogen by the looks of it.
Probably root related imo.
They been in those pots for the entire 163 days?
Edit nvm , Shed has it. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Mine are rootbound in 7g cloth pots and they're much smaller plants. Fabric pots don't prevent plants from getting rootbound, they postpone it. They also make for "better" rootbinding (?) by filling the pot with feeder roots rather than the huge roots wrapping around the inside edge of solid pots.

You could try coring at various angles and depths (just not all the way to the bottom) with barbecue skewers or heavy gauge wire.
Not nutrient related if it's 2 different ones.
Not picking up nitrogen by the looks of it.
Probably root related imo.
They been in those pots for the entire 163 days?
Edit nvm , Shed has it. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Almost the entire time. I uppotted from 4 litre/1 gallon pots in June I think. I did the same last year, just a month earlier.
I guess these girls could have produced more roots in that time though, especially given the soil issues.
I've seen the skewer aeration method discussed on another site, and it's definitely worth a shot.
I've never seen the mottled leaves or green leaves being dropped before. My only experiences with rootbinding have been with small plastic pots.
I'll skewer the soil tomorrow morning before I feed them.
Thanks.
Next year I'm definitely starting later. Big girls are nice, but when I need a big one in the ground works much better.

I’ve been thinking about what happened to my chunky skunk, I’m there with Shed on the root bound, I’m thinking that’s part of what’s going on. I would add temperature are getting below the optimal nutrient intake threshold every night so in the morning could be having hard time taking some nutrient, so might be burning reserves on the lower fans…

I mean genetics play a role but why would one have such a bad reaction in such short time?

Hope you manage there Mel, late flower is some of the hardest times, to many changes in the biochemistry of the plant.

All the best vibes
:passitleft:

Mel, have you checked for any little bugs on the soil surface?

Almost the entire time. I uppotted from 4 litre/1 gallon pots in June I think. I did the same last year, just a month earlier.
I guess these girls could have produced more roots in that time though, especially given the soil issues.
I've seen the skewer aeration method discussed on another site, and it's definitely worth a shot.
I've never seen the mottled leaves or green leaves being dropped before. My only experiences with rootbinding have been with small plastic pots.
I'll skewer the soil tomorrow morning before I feed them.
Thanks.
Next year I'm definitely starting later. Big girls are nice, but when I need a big one in the ground works much better.
I’ve been thinking about what happened to my chunky skunk, I’m there with Shed on the root bound, I’m thinking that’s part of what’s going on. I would add temperature are getting below the optimal nutrient intake threshold every night so in the morning could be having hard time taking some nutrient, so might be burning reserves on the lower fans…

I mean genetics play a role but why would one have such a bad reaction in such short time?

Hope you manage there Mel, late flower is some of the hardest times, to many changes in the biochemistry of the plant.

All the best vibes
Hey Mel, what are your temps dipping to? How are they doing today?
Oops.
All great points @Melville Hobbes
I've got gnats in the greenhouse but not my point.
Would peeling the bags off and sticking them in the ground be an option.
Gives steady root temp.
Access for you to give the roots a hand also.
Just 2 cents.

Stay safe

All the best vibes
Thanks D!
We'll see if skewering the pot helps. I have seen the technique mentioned on other sites, and it seems to be worth a shot.
I did think it looks like a root issue, but I thought maybe it was damage of some sort preventing nutrient uptake. Like getting extra dry.
I asked my brother to water them while I was at Bill's, but I'm not sure if he did. But I don't think going 30 odd hours without watering would do that much damage even though the timing fits.
I'll just be happy if they stop losing leaves, or at least slow it down long enough to finish.
Hey Mel, what are your temps dipping to? How are they doing today?
We've been getting down to around 10 to 15C overnight, with daytime highs in the mid twenties.
Tonight is going to be pretty chilly for them though, it's supposed to get down to 4C. Wouldn't be surprised to see some purple start to show on Ebony or Lucille.
They're the same as yesterday so far, I only just skewered the soil this morning. I'm going to take a tester from Ebony today. I know she still has at least a couple weeks to go, but I'd like to have an idea what the worst case scenario might be.
I haven't seen any. I watch it while I water, and nothing came up. There was also no sign of bugs as I skewered the soil, and I would expect that to stir them up if they were there.
Oops.
All great points @Melville Hobbes
I've got gnats in the greenhouse but not my point.
Would peeling the bags off and sticking them in the ground be an option.
Gives steady root temp.
Access for you to give the roots a hand also.
Just 2 cents.

Stay safe
I wish I could, but no, I don't have the room to put them in the ground. If I did I wouldn't bother with pots, lol. Can you imagine how big they would be in the ground?
We'll see how things go over the next few days. They're still trying to mature, and even if I can't get anything from these two, I still have Lucille powering away in the ground, and Jacinda isn't doing badly. Her pistils are changing fast, and the yellowing only seems to be affecting one side.
Looking at her out the window right now, she seems fine.

Fingers crossed they perk up now Mel 🤞Hopefully they will be getting over whatever shock they experienced and be the stronger for it.

Could be root bound. That would explain the yellowing as well as why the nute type isn't making a difference.

Also, seeing some PM so I'd hit them with the 1% citric acid if they were mine.
Don’t mean to hijack your journal Mel, but what is the recipe for the citric acid spray? MIL has PM again, 2 years in a row outdoors.

Oh no bud rot.
I got the SNS on yesterday.
Hope I made it in time.
Hope your girls are OK.

Stay safe

How are you able to get SNS in Canada?

Don’t mean to hijack your journal Mel, but what is the recipe for the citric acid spray? MIL has PM again, 2 years in a row outdoors.

Here you go, Kef: InTheShed's Citric Acid Spray for PM

Hey everyone. Sorry for the absence for the last few days. Saturday I drove up to @Bill284's place for his birthday party, and Sunday I drove back, lol!

Thanks Bill!
I had a great weekend!

How did the surprise go? Did Bill have a clue? How many people showed up?

Sorry about the yellowing and dropping leaves, Mel. The leaves are yellowing on all my plants and I think it's because we've been getting a fair bit of rain recently, which also impacts how often they're fed. No point feeding them if the rain is just going to wash the nutes away.

My biggest problems are that I've had to cut bud rot off of both White Widow x Big Buds and that the plants keep blowing over especially the ones in the 5-gallon pots, which weren't supposed to be out there at all but these were the inside plants that I moved outside because of the bugs.

Sorry about the yellowing and dropping leaves, Mel. The leaves are yellowing on all my plants and I think it's because we've been getting a fair bit of rain recently, which also impacts how often they're fed. No point feeding them if the rain is just going to wash the nutes away.

My biggest problems are that I've had to cut bud rot off of both White Widow x Big Buds and that the plants keep blowing over especially the ones in the 5-gallon pots, which weren't supposed to be out there at all but these were the inside plants that I moved outside because of the bugs.
Hey @HashGirl as it turns out it's mostly natural oils and had only a couple tense phone calls to get it through customs.
I can give you some tips. ;) nudge nudge. :rofl:hey Teddy
I gave them a shite ton.
Literally mixed 20 litres hooked my nutrient sump pump to a sprayer nosel and coated every inch of everything. :rofl:
Next time 10 l will be planty.

But I want to do mite spray next.
That'll Monday now I imagine.
So much to do before winter.
Where did the summer go?🙄
Hope your doing well. :ciao:
Talk soon my friend.

Stay safe

Very sorry to hear about your abrupt problem with the girls Mel
Thanks SCD.
Just goes to show how different strains are. Last year I had 3 girls go from May to harvest in these pots, no issues except the weather. Maybe it was how dry and sunny the weather was this year. They grew bigger faster, so the roots had to keep up.
Fingers crossed they perk up now Mel 🤞Hopefully they will be getting over whatever shock they experienced and be the stronger for it.
Thanks Carmen, I'm sure they'll do their best to finish. It was just a pretty sudden turn.
No worries, and HG got you. I've used it myself and with the fungus eating ladybird larvae it really knocked back the PM.
C’mon Ebony!

You’re so close!

🤍🤍🤍
Thanks Tra, if she can make it a couple weeks we should be good!

He had no idea, and when he realized who I was you should've seen his face!
I try to feed them after the rain if possible. Sort of like feeding after flushing the medium.
I have the same problem with pots tipping over. Next year I intend to build a modified planter. Sort of like a bench, but with holders for fabric pots. I'll post the concept drawing as soon as I'm done for critique.
Hey @HashGirl as it turns out it's mostly natural oils and had only a couple tense phone calls to get it through customs.
I can give you some tips. ;) nudge nudge. :rofl:hey Teddy
I gave them a shite ton.
Literally mixed 20 litres hooked my nutrient sump pump to a sprayer nosel and coated every inch of everything. :rofl:
Next time 10 l will be planty.

But I want to do mite spray next.
That'll Monday now I imagine.
So much to do before winter.
Where did the summer go?🙄
Hope your doing well. :ciao:
Talk soon my friend.

Stay safe
Already Autumn. Time to get my trimming and drying supplies ready!

Well, they seem to have stabilized for now. It was a rather cool day, after a cold night, so they only needed one drink today. It'll warm up soon though.
Space Grow 23 September 2022.jpg

Lucille Skywalker - day 165
Skywalker OG
Space Grow 23 September 2022 Lucille bud.jpg

Jacinda the Ripper - day 162
Jack the Ripper
Space Grow 23 September 2022 Jacinda.jpg

Space Grow 23 September 2022 Jacinda bud.jpg

Commander Donatra - day 152
Romulan
Space Grow 23 September 2022 Donatra.jpg

Space Grow 23 September 2022 Donatra bud.jpg

Ebony - day 142
Black Amnesia Haze
Space Grow 23 September 2022 Ebony.jpg

Space Grow 23 September 2022 Ebony bud.jpg

Well, they seem to have stabilized for now. It was a rather cool day, after a cold night, so they only needed one drink today. It'll warm up soon though.
Space Grow 23 September 2022.jpg

Lucille Skywalker - day 165
Skywalker OG
Space Grow 23 September 2022 Lucille bud.jpg

Jacinda the Ripper - day 162
Jack the Ripper
Space Grow 23 September 2022 Jacinda.jpg

Space Grow 23 September 2022 Jacinda bud.jpg

Commander Donatra - day 152
Romulan
Space Grow 23 September 2022 Donatra.jpg

Space Grow 23 September 2022 Donatra bud.jpg

Ebony - day 142
Black Amnesia Haze
Space Grow 23 September 2022 Ebony.jpg

Space Grow 23 September 2022 Ebony bud.jpg
“Day 165” is that 165 days since sprout or planting?

“Day 165” is that 165 days since sprout or planting?
Sprout. They took a few days to break the surface. I planted the seeds in April.
Awesome, did you have to do anything to help them? They're looking quite frosty :yummy:
I skewered the soil with metal barbecue skewers as Shed suggested. It breaks it up and aerates it. It can help with rootbound plants.

Sprout. They took a few days to break the surface. I planted the seeds in April.

I skewered the soil with metal barbecue skewers as Shed suggested. It breaks it up and aerates it. It can help with rootbound plants.
I use a moisture meter so I’m constantly skewering and the roots grow back over so fast it’s a bit obnoxious really lol

Back
Top Bottom