@Azimuth,
Thank you for the very informative reply. I placed an order for two of the Octopots. The 6 gallon nutrient reservoir and 6 gallon soil capacity was a big selling point to me. The ability to leave them alone for up to 10 days is helpful, not that I would. I’ll post my experience with the Octopots in March when my tent opens up for new plantings.

Much thanks to you and everyone else for posting your experiences on this thread.
Sounds great,@Twalte . The reservoirs in the GroBuckets and many of the diy versions run about 20-25% of total volume. It sounds like you're going to have 100%! I think some of @ReservoirDog 's and @Emilya Green 's diy versions have a much larger reservoir that let them go longer, but yours will be fun to watch.

:thumb:

Hey fellow SIP growers

Just set up my gro buckets with clones from my Purple Bubba Kush in my DIY SIP.
74FD05C2-6D9B-46D1-A3AE-ED8F834CA4D6.jpeg

I cloned in Rapid Rooters and Transplanted them directly to the SIP.
I have 2 more clones in 1 Gal plastic pots to compare the difference.
Hoping my results can be of use to the community!

@Twalte I see you already ordered the octopots but you can follow my journal to see the grobuckets in action if youd like!

Hey fellow SIP growers

Just set up my gro buckets with clones from my Purple Bubba Kush in my DIY SIP.
74FD05C2-6D9B-46D1-A3AE-ED8F834CA4D6.jpeg

@Twalte I see you already ordered the octopots but you can follow my journal to see the grobuckets in action if youd like!
Love your bob marley quote man what a legend he was

Thanks for this, Bootz. This should be a good experiment. Actually a two-fer. The first is do they adapt to the SIP faster with a wetter cloning method, and second how does the adjustment time compare to a normal soil grow?

:popcorn:

not directly -- There is such a product on the Jungle River site for $70+.... instead, I plan on using my 2nd $8 controller such that the high water sensor acts as such -- if the low and out are shorted (simulating wet), then the controller should shut off the relay when the high sensor get's wet (I'll have to test and figure out exactly how to make it happen, but in theory it should work).... and, it's $8 instead of $70+

2022-12-20 16_24_51-Leak Detector Alarm, Smart Sensor and Alert, Turns Off Flood Source, Pure ...png

edit: search for "water controller dc12v sensor level" on theBay to find the cheap controllers if interested
Wow, you guys are really taking this to the next level and they say smoking pot makes you lazy. Can’t wait to see what you guys think of next. CL🍀

This thread is bonkers, I love it! The amount of information and innovation in this thread alone is massive.
Someone could write a book with all the info you guys are posting on this thread. I wish my garage was heated I would like try it for my next grow. CL🍀

I want to wish everyone, and especially those on the SIP Train a Happy, and Healthy, New Year!
🪣 🚂 🎇🎆

'Better plants from better growers' should be our motto, and whether you grow for medical reasons like I do or simply for recreation, a bigger harvest for the same or less effort can only help this world be a better place. 💝

We've only just begun this thread and have many growers just starting on their first grow with this tech, and I can't wait to see all the extra bud produced in 2023.

I am very grateful for all the collaboration that's gone on already and I think we're all just a little bit better for it.
So, thank you! :green_heart:

Someone could write a book with all the info you guys are posting on this thread. I wish my garage was heated I would like try it for my next grow. CL🍀
Hey Captain. Why not try it out on a houseplant? You can do really small versions of the pots as I described on page two, and that would let you get your feet wet and see for yourself how it works.

@Azimuth,
Thank you for the very informative reply. I placed an order for two of the Octopots. The 6 gallon nutrient reservoir and 6 gallon soil capacity was a big selling point to me. The ability to leave them alone for up to 10 days is helpful, not that I would. I’ll post my experience with the Octopots in March when my tent opens up for new plantings.

Much thanks to you and everyone else for posting your experiences on this thread.
Hey @Twalte ,

I didn't want to influence your decision but I'm glad you chose the Octopot. We don't have anyone growing with them that I know of and it will be great to hear your impressions of that product. It does seem to have some advantages over the buckets but the proof is in the pudding.

And being able to compare and contrast the various options with hands-on experience can only help all of us be better growers. @ReservoirDog and @Emilya Green use DIY versions of it but your's comes with a website and actual science results and directions from PhD's. That can only be a good thing. :thumb:

6 more brand new 17 gallon SIPS are getting ready to accept the plants coming out of VEG. The plants are a bit crowded in the other room with 2 to each container this size, and I believe that spreading them out to 1 plant per tub is going to end up creating larger plants in the end. These 6 tubs fit very neatly under the footprint of my light. Now I just need to mix up a 5 gallon bucket of water, Terpinator and SNS-209 for each and pump it in, and then carry 6 large plants over here and drop them into place. Today I am waiting for my new container of SNS-209 to arrive, before I can fill these reservoirs.
16724403078884094793603766804174-jpg.2627895

Hey Captain. Why not try it out on a houseplant? You can do really small versions of the pots as I described on page two, and that would let you get your feet wet and see for yourself how it works.
I have some seeds maybe I’ll start one in the solo sip just to check it out and give it to a friend. CL🍀

6 more brand new 17 gallon SIPS are getting ready to accept the plants coming out of VEG. The plants are a bit crowded in the other room with 2 to each container this size, and I believe that spreading them out to 1 plant per tub is going to end up creating larger plants in the end. These 6 tubs fit very neatly under the footprint of my light. Now I just need to mix up a 5 gallon bucket of water, Terpinator and SNS-209 for each and pump it in, and then carry 6 large plants over here and drop them into place. Today I am waiting for my new container of SNS-209 to arrive, before I can fill these reservoirs.
16724403078884094793603766804174-jpg.2627895

Showoff.

:laughtwo:

Jk, of course. Any changes you're making to your design, Em? Those are going to be some impressive plants with all that real estate. :popcorn:

And how about veg time? I'd imagine longer than usual as well?

6 more brand new 17 gallon SIPS are getting ready to accept the plants coming out of VEG.

that's a big footprint.

what would be a standard size for a sip ? i'm actually wondering how small they can go and still bring a healthy plant to finish. i'm weighing this against running hempy next fall. the two systems are near identical, but less frequent feeding, and feeding in place could be an advantage.

Showoff.

:laughtwo:

Jk, of course. Any changes you're making to your design, Em? Those are going to be some impressive plants with all that real estate. :popcorn:

And how about veg time? I'd imagine longer than usual as well?
I am planning on giving them one more round of veg as I move them and then letting them veg for one more week under the big light. They are already plenty big. Then I'm going to do the flip and let them go the second week on the veg formula during their first week of the flip, and then they'll be ready for the bloom formula right as they are beginning to actually bloom. It's all about the timing!

that's a big footprint.

what would be a standard size for a sip ? i'm actually wondering how small they can go and still bring a healthy plant to finish. i'm weighing this against running hempy next fall. the two systems are near identical, but less frequent feeding, and feeding in place could be an advantage.
I don't think we've set a standard size yet, but my last round in here was with 27 gallon sips, and they were too big. I could only get three of them under my light's footprint. This actually gives more room to the plants and a little bit more flexibility for me as to how to present them under the light. Both directions work as I can put them oriented vertically as you see here or put two of them side by side horizontally in 3 rows. I also considered 12 gallon containers, but realized that the reservoir that would result would still have me watering manually every couple days. I wanted a little bit more reservoir than that so that if I wanted to leave for a week, I could get away with it.

Back
Top Bottom