Aha gotcha..

"This isn't DWC." I can't help but feel it's going to turn out that way somewhat as there's no way the roots are not going to colonise that water channel.. but okay it's not the goal.. i seee.. I kinda thought it was :p you know beefcake buds! Hydro powered juiced up Arnies
I mean maybe since there won't be any topfeed they will just poke some feelers into the pebbles and no further & the rest relies on upwicking.. I'm very curious but I'll only know that once the lifecycle is over how it turned out down there.
Okay I'll aim at half, which is still almost a gallon.

Lil Debbie is forever sipping 🤣🤣👍👍💚💚

IMG_20221227_110744374_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221227_104358481_HDR.jpg

Aha gotcha..

"This isn't DWC." I can't help but feel it's going to turn out that way somewhat as there's no way the roots are not going to colonise that water channel.. but okay it's not the goal.. i seee.. I kinda thought it was :p you know beefcake buds! Hydro powered juiced up Arnies
I mean maybe since there won't be any topfeed they will just poke some feelers into the pebbles and no further & the rest relies on upwicking.. I'm very curious but I'll only know that once the lifecycle is over how it turned out down there.
Okay I'll aim at half, which is still almost a gallon.
Whether or not the roots populate the reservoir seems to depend on the make-up of the reservoir itself. If it has hydroton or perlite or something that holds moisture for the roots to cling to, then they will. If, on the other hand it is a void, then you'll get some feeler roots at the very edges but they won't meaningfully populate that structure. I've done it both ways and the void is at least as good and certainly easier to water since there's more volume available that's not chock full of root mass.

Hey SIP club! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I wanted to give an update on my White Widow auto that so many on this forum have helped me grow. First the good news. She’s beautiful, full of strong branches and buds. Best I’ve ever grown by far. Now the bad news… I spotted a small amount of what I think is white mold on a lower branch. No other mold has been found. So I think i caught it early and isolated the problem. Since it’s a lower branch with a relatively small bud on it, can I just cut it off or will that hurt her bud growth? I’ve included pics so you can see. Thanks for your help!
B630D541-4AD1-4250-9C48-3A48AD379E10.jpeg
F6D167D5-2371-4899-BD04-302A33CFBD08.jpeg

It’s not sticky. It comes right off when I touch it. It’s mostly on the stem. There isn’t any on the bud. Weird. I’ve checked the rest of the plant pretty closely and don’t see any other spots. Can I just wipe it off with some water or water and vinegar combo and then just keep a close eye on it?
Yes, I'd spray it off really well as that would do a better job in the nooks and crannies and then keep an eye on it. It doesn't look like mold or PM to me so just see if it reappears on that or another surface.

I'll be trying a (diy) SIP on my upcoming grow, and I had a bunch of questions... but the last 2 pages have answered them all..damn good thread you've got going here, @Azimuth :thanks:

I'll be trying a (diy) SIP on my upcoming grow, and I had a bunch of questions... but the last 2 pages have answered them all..damn good thread you've got going here, @Azimuth :thanks:
Thanks, @Carcass . Can't wait to see the new creation and welcome aboard the SIP train! I'll be interested to see how a talented grower in a cardboard box translates his skills over. Same carboard box, but a new engine under the hood!

Same carboard box, but a new engine under the hood!
Thanks, Azi- that sounds waaay better than " 2 nested Rubbermaid mop buckets under the hood!" 😄

Ok. It's "next round" for me and the Northern Lights 5 plant I flipped is on day 10 and just now showing pistils if I look for them with magnification, so I'll probably consider it in flower in a few days, and about the normal length of time after flip for me.

That last plant I had was likely an aberration in that it showed pistils after 3-4 days but the write-up for that strain shows a tendency for throwing out autos so that was likely related.

I'll still want to pay closer attention to how fast I see pistils after flipping but at this point I don't think a SIP transitions any faster than a normal pot.

Could we be vegging faster? Pistils will pop out in veg especially near maturity. Maybe part of the genetics in that plant were attuned perfectly to the environment. Definitely something to note for study.

It’s not sticky. It comes right off when I touch it. It’s mostly on the stem. There isn’t any on the bud. Weird. I’ve checked the rest of the plant pretty closely and don’t see any other spots. Can I just wipe it off with some water or water and vinegar combo and then just keep a close eye on it?

Double check your plants flowers very closely.. make sure you don’t have any stamens rising out (they look like tiny little bananas some times, other times they look like bright green yellowish leaves before they fully form). You’re gonna want to look all through the bud to make sure. It slightly resembles a pollen drop.

Personally I think by the look of it, it looks like spider webbing.. Regular spiders, not mites.. It looks like it may have just gotten caught up in your trichomes.

Could also be mealy bugs. Those can be dealt with with a Q-Tip dipped in iso to wipe them off. Those tend to hide in the cracks and crevasses so you need something small to get in there.

If you see it again, take a few close-ups so we can have a better look.

Could also be mealy bugs. Those can be dealt with with a Q-Tip dipped in iso and wiped off. Those tend to hide in the cracks and crevasses so you need something small to get in there.

If you see it again, take a few close-ups so we can have a better look.

For future reference to all posters.. Please take as many pictures as you can from as many angles as you can from different distances. It’s very hard to discern an issue from a single picture, even two some times.

I've grown both hydro and soil, and SIP plants act more like hydro plants to me. The growth is constant, with no wet-dry cycle slowdown. I also noticed the stems seem thicker and more hollow like hydro. When I harvested Pebbles a few days ago, I took this picture of the stem through the scope.

Double check your plants flowers very closely.. make sure you don’t have any stamens rising out (they look like tiny little bananas some times, other times they look like bright green yellowish leaves before they fully form). You’re gonna want to look all through the bud to make sure. It slightly resembles a pollen drop.

Personally I think by the look of it, it looks like spider webbing.. Regular spiders, not mites.. It looks like it may have just gotten caught up in your trichomes.
Thanks Keffka! I’ll take a closer look today.

Back
Top Bottom