Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Pffft, basal cell is a piece o' cake. :thumb:

You could have had to deal with something like this. My wife just went through another removal - I lost count of how many this is now. This one returned, so they had to go deeper. :)

On the other hand ... a friend just learned that the innocuous looking brown spot on his arm wasn't basal cell or squamous. Nope, this was the melanoma. Dat chit is bad. :(

I'll probably be visiting the skin cancer Doc myself in a few years. I'm a freckled pale skin guy.

:bongrip:

Oh way to go, now you jinxed it ;):rofl::rofl: .....yeah I thought it was a bit ironic when it was "you could have Hash but you couldn't make Hash" rule.........freaking Govt. baloney anyway ;)

They have changed the rulz so many times in Oregon I have no idea what is legal any more. The OLCC and OHA sites contradict (like with disposal) and they change, depending on what the "Joint" Committee on Marijuana Regulation conjures up, what the state legislature passes, what temporary rules they put into place, what the OHA says, and what the OLCC dictates. Hash falls under 2 categories depending in how it is made. It is an 'extract' if it is made using CO2 with pressure or high heat or by using a hydrocarbon (BHO). It is a 'concentrate' if made using mechanical means, alcohol (ethanol or isopropyl), water or ice, or CO2 without pressure or high heat. Possession limits and purchase limits vary depending on if you have a medical card or not and what rules are in place at any given time. You used to be able to make concentrates but not extracts without a processor license. Now I am not sure if you can make concentrates 'legally'. If I rub my plants I make finger hash concentrate, and if I trim my buds I make scissor hash concentrate. Mechanical made hash! Then there are tinctures and topicals if I dissolve it in veg oil or animal fat. If I cook with weed I am making edibles. And the plant grow limits... anyone growing 5 plants w/o a medical grow card one foot tall and its illegal, but anyone can grow one plant the size of a house and its OK? .....freaking Gov't all right. Or wrong...

Pffft, basal cell is a piece o' cake. :thumb:

:bongrip:

Depends on how deep they have to go and if it comes back or not. Basil cell is not to be ignored or laughed at. Something like 6,000 people a year die of non-melanoma skin cancers every year. I was checked out 20 years ago by a skin doc and I was fine. All benign. This pre-cancer stuff baffles me though. He found them right away. I had no clue. They were just a rough patch of skin on my forehead.

Back to weed growing... my Maui is frosting up nicely. I crossed her with a brother/cousin and those stems are seeding up now. These Mauis have variable phenos. The male and one female is all green. The one in the first photo above is all purple stemmed. The one in the second photo above has green lower stems with mid purple striped stems and top all purple stems. The purple/semi purple stem ones have the pink pistils. The green one has white pistils. They smell GREAT! This stuff looks a lot better than the Maui Waui I tended to get back in the 1970s. That was green with red hairs, like Punto Rojo, and not as potent as the local Big Sur grown stuff was then. My brother was living in Wailuku then, and working in Lahaina. We regularly traded weed in the mail inside cutout paperback books. No one on Maui believed the stuff I was sending him was from the Mainland. He gave up telling them I sent it to him and told them it was from Lanai or Molokai. I also got a lot of Maui in trade from dishwashers working in restaurants on the Monterey Peninsula in the later 1970s. There was a large Hawaiian enclave in Marina at that time, just north of Monterey. They got it from family growing it in cane fields. Most of that was second gen Thai, but I may have been Punto Rojo or even Mexican. This GreenGenes Maui is said to be a cross of Mexican/Oaxacan and Afghan. it could well be. It looks a lot like my Durban-Afghan cross this year which also has variable phenos with white and pinks pistils, and green and purple stems. Very similar looking plants, and the Durban cross also has variable phenos with pink pistils and purple stems. Also the Durban cross bloomed naturally a lot earlier than either the Maui or my landrace Durban here this year. The landrace Durban has long thin colas and skinny sativa leaves, all green and bleach blonde white pistils. After the rains pass this weekend, we are supposed to get more hot sunny weather here. It will be perfect for early harvesting my Druban cross and Maui, and allow the landrace Durban to finish (I hope). No early frost is predicted.

Not heresay. Actually Jerry Kamstra documented Big Sur Holy Weed in his book, called Weed that he wrote back in 1972 (published in 73 and 74). I first heard about and smoked it at a party in Prunedale (between Monterey and Santa Cruz) around '73. There used to be a blog on the web about it. It claimed that a monk named Perry brought it back and planted it in the Big Sur area in the late 1960s. Then the story diverges. One is that Perry was a monk at one of the several monasteries and religions retreats along the Big Sur coastline and just inland (like Tassajara). I used to hang out at Tassajara and Arroyo Seco in the summer a lot. I was also at Eselen in Big Sur for a while and lived in Big Sur on Partington Ridge. The other story is that the source of the BSH weed was from Zacatecas near a monastery where the weed was revered and holy. I doubt either religious story, as the Catholic Church has been dead set against weed from the get go, dating back at least 400 years now. The Indios in Mexico grew (and named) 'marihuana' outside of the reach of the church, and later outside the reach of the law. Mexico banned weed before the US did (but after California did).

More likely is that my friend that I got the weed from, his father or someone like his father brought the strain back to Big Sur in the late 1960s and the locals planted it there. His father used to go to Mexico a lot to import 'items' of interest. I also knew people in 1975 that imported a lot of weed into Palo Colorado and Arroyo Seco/Greenfield directly from Mexico by the truckload. At any rate, the Big Sur locals grew the Zac Purple IBL for about a decade or so as seeded weed. Then they switched to growing sinsemilla after the coffee table book called Sinsemillia came out around 1977 and it was all the rage. Later on Big Sur Holy was bred with a Afghani and became known as SAGE. SAGE stands for Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium. All I have found that is now called Big Sur Holy Weed is really SAGE these days. It has strong indica traits and does not look like what I grew in Southern Oregon from these Big Sur tiny purple seeds. What I grew was all sativa, a GIANT late blooming dark purple sativa. It is also kick-ass weed. As far as I know, the Zacatecas landraces in Mexico were overrun with Dutch genetics, like most other landraces. Hard to say. I have not been back to Mexico in over 20 years now. The grow scene in Big Sur moved to Humboldt and Mendocino County in the mid 1980s, and other legends were bred up there.

Now there are other confusing tales and aspects thrown around the web about BSHW. One is that it is really Zihuatenejo purple, but Zihuatenejo is in the SW Mexican state of Guerrero a ways north of Acapulco. Zacatecas is in the northern central state of Zacatecas. I have grown a LOT of landrace Mexican strains from bag weed that I got in the 1970s. Southern Mexican strains as a rule finish fairly early, around now at the end of September. Northern Mexican strains finish later in late October or early November, as does my BSHW. Frost got to my last grow of BSHW/Zac Purp in mid October, when the buds were still small. It was kick-ass, and I made it all into hash oil. But I would like to finish a run of this stuff some day. Another take on the BSHW myth is that a guy names Danbo brought it to Lucia or Gorda, one of the many village names along the Big Sur coast. That would fall into my belief that one of many direct Mexican importers brought Zac Purple to Big Sur. Which one? Who knows. They were all older than me and likely no longer around to tell the tale. Hell, I am getting old myself. Almost Social Security age.

I do not believe that Reeferman ever had original BSHW, and has SAGE instead. BSHW is stable like most Mexican landraces I have grown. They all look and grow the same from any batch of bag seeds. SAGE has fat indica colas. BSHW has tall long thin colas. The many Mexican landraces that I have also grown also breed IBL and are stable. Another myth is that SAGE is BSHW x Haze, or Haze x Afghani. Haze is a complete myth in my book. I was also in and around Corrolitos, a stone's throw from Prunedale, a lot from 1866 to 1986. I never heard of anything called Haze there, ever. Nor did anyone else that I knew around there then. Nor any Haze Bros. Purple Haze was a name for one type of blotter acid, like Mr Natural. Legend is that during the Monterey Pop Festival in '67 (we were living in Monterey then) a guy made up a batch of LSD and called it "Monterey Purple." It was later dubbed Purple Haze by the locals after the Jimmy Hendrix song that he played at the festival. The guy who made the batch of Monterey Purple disliked the name haze. Much dispute about all of this and how Purple Haze the song came to be, Purple Haze blotter was named, and Haze the weed originated. Haze was always a type of LSD in my experience living there, and never a strain of weed. *shrug* Purple weed was all the rage in the late 1970s, as was skunk weed. Purple sold well. It was also good weed. BSHW was pretty rare though and I was a local. I only got one oz of it with any seeds. The seeds are tiny and purple. Only seeds like that I have ever seen as well. I have a very large seed collection.
Until I saw la purpura in Zacatecas, I'd never seen purple weed. Frankly, it looked so odd to me at the time, that I was baffled. More baffled after I smoked it. High energy & mind bending.

Is that how "purple" got into the CA strains later on, or was that just recessive trait from so much inbreeding?

Until I saw la purpura in Zacatecas, I'd never seen purple weed. Frankly, it looked so odd to me at the time, that I was baffled. More baffled after I smoked it. High energy & mind bending.

Is that how "purple" got into the CA strains later on, or was that just recessive trait from so much inbreeding?

I doubt that Zac Purple was bred much into NorCal strains. Other than SAGE, I do not know of any genetics downwind of BSHW/Zac Purple. There were a lot of purple buds floating around NorCal in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Purple weed was and still is popular. Most purple strains got their color from Afghan genetics, like Mendo Purps, GDP, Purple Urkle (or Urple), etc. Also many strains will turn purple in cool night fall weather like we are having now in the PNW. This is due to increased production of anthocyanin in Cannabis brought on by the cold. Purple strains tend to have indica ancestry, but Zac Purple bucks the trend. The last time I grew BSHW they were green to start but just before flowering the tops turned all purple, both stems and leaves, and the calyxes were purple as well. Come to think of it, what we called African in the late 70s and what they call Black African Magic now is almost black, but it is really dark dark purple, like a black magic marker is really dark dark purple. So there are other sativa landraces out there that had/have purple genetics. African was also popular in the late 1970s in NorCal, but it was expensive. I knew a breeder breeding African strains then in Pacific Valley (just south of Big Sur, and where I got my African seeds from), and likely those genetics wound up in some later stains.

Some of my Durban Poison mystery cross beans that I grew this year. They are from an eighth I got at a dispensary; sold as seeded Durban weed. It was excellent Durban smoke (classic wake n' bake), and I got 2 grams of weed and 1.5 grams of seeds. Obviously it was bred with an indica male. Like the Maui Waui cross, it shows different phenos. I IBL bred them with one of their brothers/cousins from the same seed lot. This one has pink calyxes like the Maui has.

Durban A 1 pink.JPG

For comparison, this is a Durban landrace back cross that I bred last year: Dutch Durban Poison x Landrace Durban Poison from South Afrika. These are stabilized bloom time classic Durbans, with tall skinny colas. They show only one tall pheno with white calyxes on green plants with some faint purple on the tops of the leaf stems. They smell great, like their father did. The landrace Durbans that I grew last year bloomed wildly from really early (June) through really late (October). The Dutch Durban is a skunk cross with 10-15% or so skunk left in it, the rest is a Durban landrace from South Afrika. It had little terpene smell though from the de-skunk skunk weed genes, and less wake n' more bake. Though it is very potent stuff, I wanted more of a pure Durban, which I believe that these now are. More THCv, more Durban terpenes, and a stable bloom time. These started blooming in late August grown outdoors (not forced bloomed with light dep). This photo was from last week.

Dutch Durban x Durban LR.JPG

I grew Dutch Passions Durban......very good stuff. Can tell it's not pure but it's still good. I have been looking for some real legit Durban. Picked up some from Ace but think they are from Cannabiogen or who ever their partner breeder is. Haven't run them yet but I will this Winter. Hopefully it will be what I am looking for!

Most Durban Poison is a cross with Swazi these days in South Afrika, and "they" tell me that the old Durban Poison is now all but extinct in and around Durban, ZA. Swazi is now the predominant weed strain there. According to a post by Mel Frank onine earlier this year, Dutch Durban was originally a run made by Mel Frank in the US, which he called "Strain B". He sent that strain to David Watson (by mistake, he intended to send "Strain A") in Holland who then crossed it with his 'de-skunked' skunk strain. They then back crossed that into what most sell in Holland as Durban Poison. It can have anywhere from 10% to 50% skunk genetics in it. I grew that brand of Durban last year from a local cut. It is good weed, fairly zippy, but not quite Durban. It had considerable skunk traits and wider leaves. It lacked the Durban Poison terpenes and not quite up to standard in THCv (less wake than I wanted). I also grew some landrace Durban beans that originated from ZA last year. Those bloomed wildly though, which is common from what I have read about Duban landraces. Mine mostly bloomed in June as small plants. Dunno why. Anyway, I harvested the girls and they were classic Durban with the terpenes and the wakie wakie. But they were small and bloomed too early. But as it turned out, one of their bros bloomed later in August so I bred that with the Dutch Durban local cut. And whallah! The above photo is what I got. No wild variation and no crazy early blooming. Also no indica or much skunk left in there. They also have super thin sativa leaves. I have some early trimmed buds curing now. It looks like these will finish in early to mid October. :yummy:

@BigSur ... you mention the Durban terpenes ...

I have a cross made from Sensi's Durban and Bushmans (a Ciskei) from Origin. I've been smoking a sample for the past couple days and there's something very nice about it - a serene, kind, secure buzz. But I also can't identify one of the terps I'm getting. There's some spice in it I can't name. As close as I've come is the skin of a ripe pear? Something earthy/sweet with a nose tingle.

So what are you getting from your Durban Poison cross?

@BigSur ... you mention the Durban terpenes ...

I have a cross made from Sensi's Durban and Bushmans (a Ciskei) from Origin. I've been smoking a sample for the past couple days and there's something very nice about it - a serene, kind, secure buzz. But I also can't identify one of the terps I'm getting. There's some spice in it I can't name. As close as I've come is the skin of a ripe pear? Something earthy/sweet with a nose tingle.

So what are you getting from your Durban Poison cross?

Ah yes, the Durban buzz. Durban Poison is moderately high in THCv, a cannabinoid. THCv has a soothing upper high to it that blocks the THC receptors for about 30 minutes, and then you get the sneaker high. I always want to smoke more Durban, but always wait 30 minutes before smoking more. The THCv then acts like amphetamine, but without jagging you like caffeine or Dexedrine. Also Durban does not give me brain freeze, like when smoking Kerala ganja. Nor does it have the psychedelic or racy high of Punto Rojo Colombian. Though Punto Rojo has a pretty short lived high to it. Durban is more naturally uplifting and has no paranoia to it. The only downside to Durban is that I cannot smoke it at night, or I stay up too late. Its a good stay up too late high though, and my mind is blistering with cool thoughts and ideas. So this is morning weed. Wake 'n bake. GDP is my night time weed and puts me to sleep. GDP is also good for sex. Durban is not. GDp puts me in the mood and I can focus on sex. Durban has me drifting off to other places. For ADD/ADHD, Durban is the ticket. Better than amphetamines.

As for Durban Poison terpenes? I get anise smells from my Durban crosses and landraces. Generally most compare the classic Durban Poison terpene smell to anise, a spice from the seed of the licorice plant. Pear skins are similar in smell to anise from all the tannins that they have, and they smell like Limonene, a terpene that is high in Durban Poison. Anise seed also has terpenes. Anise may have a compound terpene profile that smells the same as Durban, but from a different combination of terpenes typically found in Durban Poison. Analytical 360 lists Durban Poison as highest in Limonine and is also high in Linalool and Humulene terpenes. Then much smaller amounts of Caryophyllene, Myrcene, and alpha-Pinene. Other sites list Durban Poison as having the highest amount of Terpinolene, then a lesser mix of Humulene, Myrcene, Limonene, alpha- & beta-Pinene, Linalool and Caryophyllene. So the terps are pretty much the same, but the amounts vary. When you harvest and where/how you grow likely affects the terpene profile, with Limonene coming on earlier and Humulene coming on later in ripening. Terpenes (or more correctly, terpenoids) are hydrocarbons built by connecting together the same basic molecule of isoprene (isopentenyl pyrophosphate). Different amounts of isoprenes connected in chains or rings result in different smells to us humans. Limonene, pinene, linalool and myrcene are monoterpene and fairly simple, whereas Humulene is a sesquiterpene and more complex. Myrcene generally is dominat in most Cannabis strains, and gives it that classic smell. High levels of Myrcene is associated with 'couch-lock' in indica strains. Terpenes/terpinoids are strong medicine, regardless of what the DEA claims. They greatly affect the high in weed as well.

Some terpene profiles. Note that these are highly subjective and can vary greatly in different combinations.

Limonene smells like citrus and pome fruit skins
Pinene smells like pine
Linalool smells like lavender
Myrcene smells like hops in beer, mangoes or thyme
Caryophyllene smells like black pepper, cloves, or cinnamon
Humulene smells like wood and earth
Terpinolene smells like nutmeg, tea, or cumin

This is my first exposure to Durban, and from Sensi's description it sounds like it's a legitimate line. And a first for Ciskei, too, so I'm not sure how valid my impressions are, but yeah, there's something new here for me. I had the first taste mid day after I'd already been smoking other strains, and it didn't seem to be very punchy and it was too fresh for a good flavor. But the next morning I had my first smoke of the day with it, and after the 4th hit I discovered that it had a punch after all. The startling part was that I still felt the high a couple hours later. So that got my attention and I stuck with it for the day. What a marvelous high! :love: :)

It reminds me of the better Thai/Lumbo/Mex strains I've had, like DrGrinspoon (Senor Garcia) and Destroyer. It's different from Zamal and Malawi. I've pondered the history and migration of cannabis around the world and there are marked similarities between some of the SE Asian strains and the SE African ones, presumably from sailing routes along the coasts.

Anyway, I was surprised that this DurBush is so unlike Malawi. And yes, it must be the anise that's sneaking into the other terps, although the peppery Caryophyllene may be what's bringing the nose tingle. Also, when the wife first tried to pin a name to it, she said fresh clover, which would be b-Ocimene, a terp that keeps turning up in strains I like. Now it's a few days since it dried and it's still ripe pear (pome) skin.

This one has my attention for some reason - it's ... kind. Good to hear your experience is similar. :Namaste:

This one has my attention for some reason - it's ... kind. Good to hear your experience is similar. :Namaste:

Yes, Durban will get your attention of you are exposed to a good strain of it. Best Durban I have had was the mother of these beans I am growing this year from the weed in the dispensary. Classic flavor, terps and high. Durban is in a class by itself in my opinion. Thai is similar (original skinny stick Thai from the Viet Nam war era), as is Colombian and Mexican, in that they all have some THCv in them. That is one secret of Durban Poison. THCv. Also it has a good high which is different than a lot of other weed strains. It also has a unique terpene profile. As you say, the high is also long, unlike Colombian Punto Rojo which is a rather fast high. Up and down in an hour or so. It s also not trippy and has no paranoia to it. For a sativa lover like myself, Durban is well, Durban. It is in a class by itself. It has also been bred with pretty much EVERYTHING else out there. Cherry Pie is super popular here, a cross of DP and GDP. My two favorite strains at the moment. Sadly Cherry Pie lacks the combined qualities of both, and leans more toward GDP than DP. A bowl of DP mixed with GDP is better. :bongrip:

[. Seems that the new generations in Mexico and Colombia do not believe that there were so many different landraces from those countries in my day, or that I have seeds from them. The cartels and Dutch genetics are so pervasive there now that they have no clue what came before them. In many cases, landraces in Mexico and Colombia are extinct now. As they told me on one of the Latino forums, only us hippies from the 60s have any of these strains any more. Sad that, but it seems to be the case. Dutch genetcs have run roughshod over landrace Cannabis genetics worldwide. Though many of the Dutch strains originated in Northern California, which was a melting pot of global landrace genetics.

Back
Top Bottom