Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Here is a skunk runt, already getting really frosty. Its from an allotment of older early NorCal Skunk seeds, supposed to be pre Skunk #1 from Uncle Fester's breeders. Not a lot of skunk smell yet, but crystals galore. I will re-veg her and grow her again next year. Tough to get these old beans to germinate. A slug got to her brother earlier in the year. Damn slugs. And freakin' mites. And crappy early rain in the PNW this year! Makes it a lot harder to finish these gals and seed them up.

Skunk.JPG

Attachments

• Skunk runt.JPG
    Skunk runt.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 71
What kind of mites you fighting? Hemp mites?

No. Broads and spiders. I had broad mites earlier this year. I had to use Abamectin to get rid of them. Then I got them back, and got an advisory from the state ag board that borad mites have adapted to and are now rampant on blackberries from coast to coast. So I looked at my blackberry plants and sure enough that is where they were coming from. So I sprayed the crap out of my berries, and removed ALL the wild weedy blackberries from my property. That took a month. So now I am mite free again. This late in the season I spray the weed plants with peroxide and ag soap every 10 days, regularly rotated with ag mineral oil spray. I had spider mites this time last year, so I just spray preventatives as the mites are here somewhere else in my or my neighbors' gardens, lurking. The bees, birds, flies and other insects bring them in. No stopping them now that they are so pervasive. I do not think I have had any hemp mites yet.

Spider mites are easy to detect; the leaves look like they have been sprayed with fine spray paint. They are the largest and easiest to get rid of. Broad mites are 1/10th the size and a lot harder to find and harder to eradicate. Broad mites cause Cannabis leaves to pinwheel, which is a sure sign of them. If I see either sign of mites, I pull any infected leaves and I douse the area with a spot spray made up of:

1 gallon water
1 cup peroxide (3% cheap store stuff)
1/4 cup Listerine (the old gold stuff which is 30% ethanol that kills mites and it has mint and thyme oil that repels mites)
1/2 tsp agricultural soap sticker-spreader

It works. I also use the above for any cuttings that I root (clone), and any clones that I bring in here. Last year a guy sent me a clone in an LED lighted cloner that has spider mites on it! He refused to believe me at first, but I persisted. Lo and behold, a few weeks later he found spider mites in his indoor grow. He apologized profusely. They are EVERYWHERE!

Before this late in the season I rotate the above spray with refined 70% Neem oil as a preventative mixed at a rate of 1:100 (3.5 TB per gallon of water). The Neem oil does not need a sticker-spreader. Neem at this rate also kills PM dead and will prevent it. Before blooming (6 weeks before harvest) if I see any mites I will reach for the Abamectin (Avid) and spray at a rate of 1/4 tsp per gallon of water with 1/2 tsp ag soap per gallon of water as an activator. It is proven to kill broad and spider mites, 100%. But Abamectin does not kill mite eggs. It also breaks down fast in sunlight. All traces of Abamectin will be gone in 6 weeks. I have several friends that sent in Abamectin sprayed plants and they had none show up in tests after 45 days. The soap spreader will kill all stages of mites and eggs on contact, as will Neem and ag oil. I have to wear a suit and mask spraying Abamectin though. Peroxide and Listerine do not need any PPE. They warn you about Neem and mineral oil on the label, but I have never had any problems with that getting on my skin.

I also have some other kind of spider mites on my azaleas this year, so I have also been spraying them. I also had some bamboo mites here as well early this year in one of my bamboos, so I nuked them with Abamectin to get rid of them. My cat also has ear mites that I have to treat him for regularly. Now that Cannabis and hemp growing are legal in Oregon, more and more people are growing it and harboring more mites! I was reading about broad mites and the damage that they do to cane berries now. They can decimate entire fields and harvests. They started being a big issue on berries nationally about 2016. I had a good crop of Marion berries this year, then the mites showed up. So I will have to spray them every year here as well. I will also spray the berries in the fall, rake up after the berry leaves fall off and burn them. I also collect and burn all Cannabis fan leaves (the state requires this anyway). I will also kill any Himalayan, European cutleaf and native blackberries here when I see them. Damn blackberries are everywhere in the PNW, spread by birds pooping. Mite prevention is key, but its become an endless task!

...snip... I also collect and burn all Cannabis fan leaves (the state requires this anyway).

:eek: Wait, what? Fan leaves have to be burned in Oregon? Even with rec. grows? They can't be composted?

Not doubting you at all, but have never ever heard or read that. Yikes!

I have not figured out much about seed size. My smallest seeds are from a batch from Big Sur that are tiny and deep purple. Those are from a strain that supposedly came from Zacatecas, Mexico and first planted in Big Sur in the 1960s. The so-called Holy Weed. It grows into a really tall purple sativa with skinny leaves that blooms really late. I have grown it but not re-seeded it yet, so I cannot say what the seed size consistency will be. In general I have found that indica seeds and indica-sativa crosses tend to have larger seeds, and sativas tend to be the smallest.
Dayum! That triggers a scratch 'n sniff memory.

I had some of the local purple weed in Zacatecas, a coupla times, when I passing thru there in the mid-80s. It was unbelievably upper & absolute trip weed. Seeded, too. They locals called "la purpura" if I remember correctly.

Had heard it'd made it to CA, but sorta dismissed as hearsay. But I'm glad to hear it made it there.

Zacatecas was also a remarkably sweet & beautiful town, with some of the old town built in the 16th century.

Hope it still is...Zacatecas, Zacatecas, so nice they had to name it twice.

Thanks for the info...sorry if I shouldn't reprise an ol' post, but I'm still catching up.

:eek: Wait, what? Fan leaves have to be burned in Oregon? Even with rec. grows? They can't be composted?

Not doubting you at all, but have never ever heard or read that. Yikes!

I burn the fan leaves (and tumbled sugar leaves) because the state requires the destruction of unused trim or weed. I burn it which is ~one~ option where I live. Composting is also allowed, along with several other methods. However, composting allows mites and mite eggs to survive, contributing to the problem. I would rather burn the little fukkers. No mites survive a flaming inferno. Technically I 'compost' the ash after burning it as well for proper "disposal". Why that added step is required is beyond me, but that is what is required. I throw it under my trees here. Its mostly potassium fertilizer at that point.

You can get all the details and options for Oregon disposal methods in the downloadable PDF file: HERE

I burn the fan leaves (and tumbled sugar leaves) because the state requires the destruction of unused trim or weed. I burn it which is ~one~ option where I live. Composting is also allowed, along with several other methods. However, composting allows mites and mite eggs to survive, contributing to the problem. I would rather burn the little fukkers. No mites survive a flaming inferno. Technically I 'compost' the ash after burning it as well for proper "disposal". Why that added step is required is beyond me, but that is what is required. I throw it under my trees here. Its mostly potassium fertilizer at that point.

You can get all the details and options for Oregon disposal methods in the downloadable PDF file: HERE
Thx!

Dayum! That triggers a scratch 'n sniff memory.

I had some of the local purple weed in Zacatecas, a coupla times, when I passing thru there in the mid-80s. It was unbelievably upper & absolute trip weed. Seeded, too. They locals called "la purpura" if I remember correctly.

Had heard it'd made it to CA, but sorta dismissed as hearsay. But I'm glad to hear it made it there.

Zacatecas was also a remarkably sweet & beautiful town, with some of the old town built in the 16th century.

Hope it still is...Zacatecas, Zacatecas, so nice they had to name it twice.

Thanks for the info...sorry if I shouldn't reprise an ol' post, but I'm still catching up.

Not heresay. Actually Jerry Kamstra documented Big Sur Holy Weed in his book, called Weed that he wrote back in 1972 (published in 73 and 74). I first heard about and smoked it at a party in Prunedale (between Monterey and Santa Cruz) around '73. There used to be a blog on the web about it. It claimed that a monk named Perry brought it back and planted it in the Big Sur area in the late 1960s. Then the story diverges. One is that Perry was a monk at one of the several monasteries and religions retreats along the Big Sur coastline and just inland (like Tassajara). I used to hang out at Tassajara and Arroyo Seco in the summer a lot. I was also at Eselen in Big Sur for a while and lived in Big Sur on Partington Ridge. The other story is that the source of the BSH weed was from Zacatecas near a monastery where the weed was revered and holy. I doubt either religious story, as the Catholic Church has been dead set against weed from the get go, dating back at least 400 years now. The Indios in Mexico grew (and named) 'marihuana' outside of the reach of the church, and later outside the reach of the law. Mexico banned weed before the US did (but after California did).

More likely is that my friend that I got the weed from, his father or someone like his father brought the strain back to Big Sur in the late 1960s and the locals planted it there. His father used to go to Mexico a lot to import 'items' of interest. I also knew people in 1975 that imported a lot of weed into Palo Colorado and Arroyo Seco/Greenfield directly from Mexico by the truckload. At any rate, the Big Sur locals grew the Zac Purple IBL for about a decade or so as seeded weed. Then they switched to growing sinsemilla after the coffee table book called Sinsemillia came out around 1977 and it was all the rage. Later on Big Sur Holy was bred with a Afghani and became known as SAGE. SAGE stands for Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium. All I have found that is now called Big Sur Holy Weed is really SAGE these days. It has strong indica traits and does not look like what I grew in Southern Oregon from these Big Sur tiny purple seeds. What I grew was all sativa, a GIANT late blooming dark purple sativa. It is also kick-ass weed. As far as I know, the Zacatecas landraces in Mexico were overrun with Dutch genetics, like most other landraces. Hard to say. I have not been back to Mexico in over 20 years now. The grow scene in Big Sur moved to Humboldt and Mendocino County in the mid 1980s, and other legends were bred up there.

Now there are other confusing tales and aspects thrown around the web about BSHW. One is that it is really Zihuatenejo purple, but Zihuatenejo is in the SW Mexican state of Guerrero a ways north of Acapulco. Zacatecas is in the northern central state of Zacatecas. I have grown a LOT of landrace Mexican strains from bag weed that I got in the 1970s. Southern Mexican strains as a rule finish fairly early, around now at the end of September. Northern Mexican strains finish later in late October or early November, as does my BSHW. Frost got to my last grow of BSHW/Zac Purp in mid October, when the buds were still small. It was kick-ass, and I made it all into hash oil. But I would like to finish a run of this stuff some day. Another take on the BSHW myth is that a guy names Danbo brought it to Lucia or Gorda, one of the many village names along the Big Sur coast. That would fall into my belief that one of many direct Mexican importers brought Zac Purple to Big Sur. Which one? Who knows. They were all older than me and likely no longer around to tell the tale. Hell, I am getting old myself. Almost Social Security age.

I do not believe that Reeferman ever had original BSHW, and has SAGE instead. BSHW is stable like most Mexican landraces I have grown. They all look and grow the same from any batch of bag seeds. SAGE has fat indica colas. BSHW has tall long thin colas. The many Mexican landraces that I have also grown also breed IBL and are stable. Another myth is that SAGE is BSHW x Haze, or Haze x Afghani. Haze is a complete myth in my book. I was also in and around Corrolitos, a stone's throw from Prunedale, a lot from 1866 to 1986. I never heard of anything called Haze there, ever. Nor did anyone else that I knew around there then. Nor any Haze Bros. Purple Haze was a name for one type of blotter acid, like Mr Natural. Legend is that during the Monterey Pop Festival in '67 (we were living in Monterey then) a guy made up a batch of LSD and called it "Monterey Purple." It was later dubbed Purple Haze by the locals after the Jimmy Hendrix song that he played at the festival. The guy who made the batch of Monterey Purple disliked the name haze. Much dispute about all of this and how Purple Haze the song came to be, Purple Haze blotter was named, and Haze the weed originated. Haze was always a type of LSD in my experience living there, and never a strain of weed. *shrug* Purple weed was all the rage in the late 1970s, as was skunk weed. Purple sold well. It was also good weed. BSHW was pretty rare though and I was a local. I only got one oz of it with any seeds. The seeds are tiny and purple. Only seeds like that I have ever seen as well. I have a very large seed collection.

Good story, I'd definitely try it :)

Learn something new every day lol, some of the stuff they come up with sometimes (like their 4 plant of any type Rec rule). All my waste ends up in the Yardwaste container the Disposal company carts off each week to turn into mulch or whatever they do with it, though I'm Rec and don't have a lot of stuff generated anyway. My outdoor ones sometimes I mulch myself and sometimes they go into the recycle bin depending on if bug or other issues or how lazy I'm feeling ;), the soil usually goes out side from the inside ones after the outside done as recycle the soil aeration stuff in it that way and not buying the perlite/other stuff in there.

Stories like that always make me feel like I grew up in the wrong generation....

Cheers,

Nothing wrong or right about being in any particular generation. I had friends and knew fathers of friends that died in the Viet Nam war. Some died there, or later from cancer (lots of asbestos on ships). My motorcycle riding buddy in Big Sur died of mesothelioma last year. One friend in Prunedale that was in Saigon a lot is not schizophrenic and sees aliens all the time. Another friend in Southern Oregon is sterile from having sprayed agent orange out the back of a helicopter on his tours in DaNang. His skin sheds like a snake once a year as well. Riots were rampant then, both anti-war and race riots. We lived under the spectre of the cold war and likely nuclear annihilation. We also had to deal with Richard Nixon and his war on hippies. But gas was dirt cheap. The cost of living was cheap. The music was great. The weed was great. It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times. Now weed is legal. That is still the stuff of dreams for me. I can grow weed and no one is going to bust me for it. I mean, I still am paranoid about growing it or showing anyone after growing guerilla for so many years. So I revert to this forum to do that anonymously.

In many ways though the weed culture in the 1970s was great. Spark up a joint and you had 3 new friends. Or I ran into friends wherever and we sparked up a joint and partied and smoked more joints. Or we went to concerts and smoked joints, and passed them around. In Berkeley we lighted joints after a meal in restaurants and passed them around as well. No one cared. I used to get high with CHP officers and judges, lawyers and doctors. Everyone got high. Joints were the usual method of smoking. Bamboo bongs always cracked and acrylic bongs melted. Glass bongs shatter, but I have a nice hand blown glass bong now. Pipes were good for hashish. I usually carried one as well. I rarely roll a joint any more and smoke pipes, or get out the bong. I bought a vaporizer, but it takes too long to heat up. I want a hit now! Fill the pipe, puff puff... done deal. On with life in a... better more fine-tuned mode.

Learn something new every day lol, some of the stuff they come up with sometimes (like their 4 plant of any type Rec rule). All my waste ends up in the Yardwaste container the Disposal company carts off each week to turn into mulch or whatever they do with it, though I'm Rec and don't have a lot of stuff generated anyway. My outdoor ones sometimes I mulch myself and sometimes they go into the recycle bin depending on if bug or other issues or how lazy I'm feeling ;), the soil usually goes out side from the inside ones after the outside done as recycle the soil aeration stuff in it that way and not buying the perlite/other stuff in there.

Yah have to be careful about 1) having kids around the plants, and 2) disposing of trim and fan leaves with rec, medical or commercial grown. They keep changing the rulz. You can make sifted hash, no you cannot make sifted hash, yes you can make sifted hash. Or you can grow all the clones you want with a medical card, no you cannot grow clones with a medical card, now you will be able to grow 36 clones with a medical card as of October 1, 2018. Or you can buy a pound and a half of weed with a medical card, now you can only buy an ounce of weed with a medical card for 4 more months.

Anyway, I burn my fan leaves. Last year I burned all my sugar and trim leaves, but this year I am making a converted ice cream maker into a hash tumbler so I will make hash out of the sugar/trim leaves, and then burn them and then "compost the ashes." It will all be triple processed. THC and resin sifted and removed, remaining plant material destroyed by burning to remove any possible remaining THC, and then the ashes scattered and composted in case there is any THC left in the residue. I am surprised that the state does not have a required process for disposing of roaches, cleaning ash trays and pipe cleaning. :peace:

So today I was diagnosed with cancer. :(

Yes, this getting old stuff sucks. The big downside of my generation. But as my ex-ex said, "Consider the alternative?!" They say its the good kind of cancer. :oops: I did not know that there was a ~good~ kind of cancer. :rolleyes: But that is what they said. Basil cell carcinoma. One look at my skin blotch and the doc said, "Ohhhh, *that* has to come out." So I will have surgery to have it removed. Apparently I also had a bunch of 'pre-cancers' that he froze with liquid nitrogen. So I actually have cancer and pre-cancer. o_O They all hurt now, so its time to smoke some more "medical weed". Like Grape Ape. Yeah...

Oh, and now I have to become a mole. No going outside to play with my plants without gobs of sunscreen, a hat and protective clothing. Apparently living in California does this to people. Both my brothers have had this, so it is no big deal. But being told that I have cancer is well, being told I have cancer. I need another hit... And life rolls on in the dark as a vampire... now a stoned vampire. :cool:

I am surprised that the state does not have a required process for disposing of roaches, cleaning ash trays and pipe cleaning.

Oh way to go, now you jinxed it ;) :rofl::rofl: .....yeah I thought it was a bit ironic when it was "you could have Hash but you couldn't make Hash" rule.........freaking Govt. baloney anyway ;)

So today I was diagnosed with cancer. :(

Yes, this getting old stuff sucks. The big downside of my generation. But as my ex-ex said, "Consider the alternative?!" They say its the good kind of cancer. :oops: I did not know that there was a ~good~ kind of cancer. :rolleyes: But that is what they said. Basil cell carcinoma. One look at my skin blotch and the doc said, "Ohhhh, *that* has to come out." So I will have surgery to have it removed. Apparently I also had a bunch of 'pre-cancers' that he froze with liquid nitrogen. So I actually have cancer and pre-cancer. o_O They all hurt now, so its time to smoke some more "medical weed". Like Grape Ape. Yeah...

Oh, and now I have to become a mole. No going outside to play with my plants without gobs of sunscreen, a hat and protective clothing. Apparently living in California does this to people. Both my brothers have had this, so it is no big deal. But being told that I have cancer is well, being told I have cancer. I need another hit... And life rolls on in the dark as a vampire... now a stoned vampire. :cool:
Sorry BigSur...that sucks.

Back
Top Bottom