Opinion

alottarock

420 Member
You think it'll make it? Missed one day watering. Watered heavy this morning. It still looks like this hrs later.
20240902_152441.jpg

If you are talking about the 1 pic you posted in gallery your fine, a missed watering seems to not be a big issue from that pic....what size container? In ground? Fabric pots will.dry.out faster on windy and.hot days especially larger plants in smaller.fabric pots and in general.not just windy hot days

Missed one day watering. Watered heavy this morning. It still looks like this hrs later.
It needs more water than what you gave it in the morning. If it had gotten enough water in the morning the leaves should have recovered within two or three hours.

Most likely you did not give enough water or the soil in the pot had become hydrophobic and the water ran right through the soil.

Give more water. Let the water run through and then in 20 or 30 minutes water again. Keep at it until the sides of the cloth pot are soaking wet.

Plants growing outside in pots of soil dry out quickly, especially on hot sunny days. It could take awhile to get the soil properly moist again. Then after than it might be that you will have to include a daily or every other day watering to the gardening chores.

It needs more water than what you gave it in the morning. If it had gotten enough water in the morning the leaves should have recovered within two or three hours.

Most likely you did not give enough water or the soil in the pot had become hydrophobic and the water ran right through the soil.

Give more water. Let the water run through and then in 20 or 30 minutes water again. Keep at it until the sides of the cloth pot are soaking wet.

Plants growing outside in pots of soil dry out quickly, especially on hot sunny days. It could take awhile to get the soil properly moist again. Then after than it might be that you will have to include a daily or every other day watering to the gardening chores.
Thanks so much, that gives me some hope!

Seriously, don't wait. Hopefully you have been giving it some water since yesterday afternoon.
If you're still there, could you elaborate on "hydro-phobic" soil. Also, when I got up this morning, it was looking like itself again. So I gave it about 2or3 more gallons and went to work. Home at lunch, same thing except 1or2 gallons. Got home from work and it is right back to being punky again.

If you're still there, could you elaborate on "hydro-phobic" soil. Also, when I got up this morning, it was looking like itself again. So I gave it about 2or3 more gallons and went to work. Home at lunch, same thing except 1or2 gallons. Got home from work and it is right back to being punky again.
It's means when a waxy type of residue builds up on the soil particles and repels water instead of absorbing it

Time thank you. That's not it,then. When problem started I really poured the water to it. When it drained down I noticed two holes, one on either side of trunk.with it being caged and grown through I couldn't get a close look, but probing told me they were deep. So, I watered again except with force. Trying to collapse these holes in. Anyway, to make a long story drag out longer. I think I have a mole issue. Do you know if they'll gnaw through a grow bag?

Time thank you. That's not it,then. When problem started I really poured the water to it. When it drained down I noticed two holes, one on either side of trunk.with it being caged and grown through I couldn't get a close look, but probing told me they were deep. So, I watered again except with force. Trying to collapse these holes in. Anyway, to make a long story drag out longer. I think I have a mole issue. Do you know if they'll gnaw through a grow bag?
Yeah I reckon a mole could have a good crack at it

They're an issue around here. Big reason to not go in ground. I think what's happened is it's been in and out leaving tunnels . When I water the water has been draining via tunnels out bottom . It's only like a 20 gallon pot and I can add 5or6 gallons and it be drained down in about 10 minutes tops with no water out the botto
m infinitum. The roots are so dense i think they've been bridging this issue.

I have seen plants get damaged badly by moles and critters and it dis look similar but it didn't come back it would die off , if yours come back and look healthy than possibly the pot is full of roots and not holding/drinking when watered, just draining out ....I found when I had some issues watering was to water more frequently, now I prep where my pots go and water in the pot as well as around the perimeter, my roots extend into the ground and out I like to believe as wide as my plant so are my roots, if not sometimes spread further out.......get those moles before they get that plant if it isn't too late

Agreed , will roots grow through a smart pot? No matter it's time for a stake out. I think mister mole is going to have a serious case of lead poisoning.
I have had roots grow through when they were on top off the soil ,but I also have placed inch or more down in and they definitely grew through the pots, small pots big plants basically in the ground

Agreed , will roots grow through a smart pot? No matter it's time for a stake out. I think mister mole is going to have a serious case of lead poisoning.
Plants grown in fabric pots usually "air prune" the roots by themselves, so it's not common that they grow through the pots

... my roots extend into the ground and out I like to believe as wide as my plant so are my roots, if not sometimes spread further out......
The root system of many plants will match in size, and sometimes shape, what is seen in the above ground stems, branches and leaf structure. Your belief that the root system is as least as wide as the plants is valid.

There are many, many narrow roots, which are thinner than a human hair. Those roots can be called "hair roots" or "root hairs" and they are very important to the life of the plant. Those particular roots are hard, close to impossible, to see when looking at the soil when digging up a plant but they are there.

Those hair roots are the ones responsible for absorbing molecules of water and any nutrients that are attached to the water.

I found an example of the type of root system you are thinking about awhile ago and kept a copy in my photo gallery. It is a diagram of what a Cannabis plant root system looks like when looking down at it from the top and what it looks like when seeing it from the side:

full

The root system of many plants will match in size, and sometimes shape, what is seen in the above ground stems, branches and leaf structure. Your belief that the root system is as least as wide as the plants is valid.

There are many, many narrow roots, which are thinner than a human hair. Those roots can be called "hair roots" or "root hairs" and they are very important to the life of the plant. Those particular roots are hard, close to impossible, to see when looking at the soil when digging up a plant but they are there.

Those hair roots are the ones responsible for absorbing molecules of water and any nutrients that are attached to the water.

I found an example of the type of root system you are thinking about awhile ago and kept a copy in my photo gallery. It is a diagram of what a Cannabis plant root system looks like when looking down at it from the top and what it looks like when seeing it from the side:

full
Smoking wings, thank you. Visual always helps!

it’s not exactly air pruning it’s a 3 way combination of air, moisture and light pruning.… weed roots hate exposure to light but you can add more soil around the smart pot and yes roots will grow right thru… but the problem now becomes only tiny roots can penetrate the fabric weave.

But before you add soil around it you can poke holes with an ice pick to encourage bigger roots to penetrate into the new holes… and build more root networks from there. Yes outdoors brings root munchers too, mice, voles, chipmunks & squirrels are known to feast, but why would they chew a hole in fabric? Sure they can but typically go the easy route- climb up top and then burrow down to access the salad bar that is your root zone…

might help to wrap new soil with screen wire or 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I had field mice last year so I added 1/2 hardware cloth (wire mesh) across top of my bags then tie wired it together and pushed in the fat 18 inch bamboo kitchen skewers to hold it in place, then covered with an inch of top dress and finally added 2 inches of soil, sand and fine gravel mixture on top…

I’ve done both double baggers and triple baggers cuz she was fugly… oooff wait wrong website! Ha, ha… but seriously roots can penetrate 1 bag, they can penetrate a 2nd grow bag too but again it’s all tiny roots restricted by the weave of the fabric.

Hydrophobic soil resists water, water runs off and does not soak in. It has to be slow watered multiple times to overcome hydrophobic soil. Another way to overcome is set your grow bag in tub of water and top water it too, but obviously you don’t want to move the bag since roots are already growing thru on bottom where roots are hidden from light…

Back
Top Bottom