New aussie Auto grower, looking for some advice

Hey y'all, just an update on my thoughts.
So the first grow is going to be 4x gorilla glue auto and 1x moby dick auto.
I happen to have a 7 gallon fabric pot lying around, so I'm thinking of growing the 4 gorillas with 4 different methods!

#1 - plant in 5g pot with just GP nutes
#2 - plant in 7g pot with just GP notes
#3 - 5g pot with GP nutes and LST
#4 - 5g pot with GP nutes and TOPing or FIMing

Thinking doing these 4 different methods will give myself and others insights for future grows of the GG autos.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Tassieturtleman 💚
Good morning TT :ciao:
My only thought about the plan is a 7 gal is a bit big for an auto but have at'er.:thumb:
Great plan hope it goes well. :high-five:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Good morning TT :ciao:
My only thought about the plan is a 7 gal is a bit big for an auto but have at'er.:thumb:
Great plan hope it goes well. :high-five:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Morning @Bill284 well it's night over here in tassie haha!
Yeah I thought it'd be a good idea for some comparison.
I know what ya mean about the 7 gallon, but I thought why not, it wouldn't hurt at all would it?
Figure with a bit more root access room and being outdoors all day in the great Aussie sun, might be able to grow a monster 🤔

Morning @Bill284 well it's night over here in tassie haha!
Yeah I thought it'd be a good idea for some comparison.
I know what ya mean about the 7 gallon, but I thought why not, it wouldn't hurt at all would it?
Figure with a bit more root access room and being outdoors all day in the great Aussie sun, might be able to grow a monster 🤔
Bigger pots are definitely better for hot climates so makes sense.
I use a solo cup to start.
Then 1 gallon air pots before I transplant to the final pot.
It builds a good rootball that way.
What are you using?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Bigger pots are definitely better for hot climates so makes sense.
I use a solo cup to start.
Then 1 gallon air pots before I transplant to the final pot.
It builds a good rootball that way.
What are you using?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
My thinking exactly!
If the 7g girl does alot better than the 5g I'll switch to 7s for future grows!
What exactly is the definition of a solo cup? I never heard that term before, till I jumped on this site, is it like a single use cup or something? An American term? I'm baffled lol 😆
I was thinking of going straight from the germination cloth to the final pot. Some say transplanting shocks autos, some say it's fine, I prefer to err on the side of caution.
What am I using for what my friend?

My thinking exactly!
What exactly is the definition of a solo cup? I never heard that term before, till I jumped on this site, is it like a single use cup or something? An American term? I'm baffled lol 😆
I was thinking of going straight from the germination cloth to the final pot. Some say transplanting shocks autos, some say it's fine, I prefer to err on the side of caution.
SOLO is a popular brand of disposable cup. Lots of people use them as starters for their seedlings.
1000004313.jpg

SOLO is a popular brand of disposable cup. Lots of people use them as starters for their seedlings.
1000004313.jpg
Ahh okay! Thanks for that one Preston, I felt so stupid even asking, but as we don't have that brand in Australia, at least I've never seen it anyways, I was clueless

My thinking exactly!
I've heard similar claims about autos.
In my experience transplanting a rootball into a bigger pot is good for root health and plant size.
But if your worried about it I understand.
I use a clear cup under my solo so I can see the root growth.
Here's a couple pics.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Ahh okay! Thanks for that one Preston, I felt so stupid even asking, but as we don't have that brand in Australia, at least I've never seen it anyways, I was clueless
Don't ever feel your stupid for asking questions.
We are here to help not judge anyone. :Namaste:
Every question is valid.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I've heard similar claims about autos.
In my experience transplanting a rootball into a bigger pot is good for root health and plant size.
But if your worried about it I understand.
I use a clear cup under my solo so I can see the root growth.
Here's a couple pics.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
That's spectacular @Bill284 I love the idea of using a clear cup for visibility, I used to do the same thing when I was starting photos! One thing I did pick up on from your photos is how you layer the pearlite and soil, that's a really great idea that I've never tried, should I do that for my big pots? Or should I just mix my pearlite through the whole mixture?

That's spectacular @Bill284 I love the idea of using a clear cup for visibility, I used to do the same thing when I was starting photos! One thing I did pick up on from your photos is how you layer the pearlite and soil, that's a really great idea that I've never tried, should I do that for my big pots? Or should I just mix my pearlite through the whole mixture?
I have a potting method using layers of perlite between either soil or coco.
It traps air in your pots increasing root growth and plant size and health.
It's in all my threads.
But Heaven’s Shore’s has the most detailed pictorials.
It's a simple fantastic way to increase your plant size and harvest quality.
@Bill284 Method

Everything from solo cups to 200l. Bags.
Have a look I'll answer any questions you have.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I have a potting method using layers of perlite between either soil or coco.
It traps air in your pots increasing root growth and plant size and health.
It's in all my threads.
But Heaven’s Shore’s has the most detailed pictorials.
It's a simple fantastic way to increase your plant size and harvest quality.
@Bill284 Method

Everything from solo cups to 200l. Bags.
Have a look I'll answer any questions you have.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I'm really liking this Bill, sounds like a great plan! So what I'm thinking now, as I've got coco and pearlite on the way, will be buying the organic potting mix and manure mix this week. Maybe mix the soil and manure together, then go in alternating layers of soil mix,coco,pearlite, probably end up with 2 layers of each in the 5g pots, rather than just mixing it all together, what are you're thoughts on this?

I'm really liking this Bill, sounds like a great plan! So what I'm thinking now, as I've got coco and pearlite on the way, will be buying the organic potting mix and manure mix this week. Maybe mix the soil and manure together, then go in alternating layers of soil mix,coco,pearlite, probably end up with 2 layers of each in the 5g pots, rather than just mixing it all together, what are you're thoughts on this?
You can mix approximately 20 % coco in your soil mixture for aeration.
It's good.
But you are running soil so it's one or the other.
If you mix too much soil and coco together it creates ph issues with your feed nutrients.
So mix your super soil together all your ingredients with lots of perlite.
Then start your layers with perlite on the bottom.
I add bokashi, frass & DYNOMYCO then spray it to activate it.
Then your soil couple inches.
Then a good layer of perlite with bokashi, frass and DYNOMYCO and activate.
Repeat this until you get to the top.
Did you see how I plant the root ball?
Or are you giving straight from seed.?
When I run coco it's just coco, perlite, bokashi, frass & DYNOMYCO.
I don't add any other amendments.
It effects the ph.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

You can mix approximately 20 % coco in your soil mixture for aeration.
It's good.
But you are running soil so it's one or the other.
If you mix too much soil and coco together it creates ph issues with your feed nutrients.
So mix your super soil together all your ingredients with lots of perlite.
Then start your layers with perlite on the bottom.
I add bokashi, frass & DYNOMYCO then spray it to activate it.
Then your soil couple inches.
Then a good layer of perlite with bokashi, frass and DYNOMYCO and activate.
Repeat this until you get to the top.
Did you see how I plant the root ball?
Or are you giving straight from seed.?
When I run coco it's just coco, perlite, bokashi, frass & DYNOMYCO.
I don't add any other amendments.
It effects the ph.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Well originally I thinking 60% soil, 10% manure mix, 15% coco and 15% pearlite, so maybe that'll be my recipe for the super soil and then I'll stagger it with the pearlite like you've now taught me. I'll look into the Aussie versions of bokashi, grass and Dynomyco. That'll give me something to read into while I'm on the treadmill tomorrow! What exactly do you spray them with to activate? Yeah I love how you do the rootball, but being as I kinda have to be stealthy going to and from my grow some, it'll be easier to just take the germed seed to the pots at my site, rather than take youngins and pot up 🤔 I've got a digital pH soil probe coming, so that'll give me a bit of an idea at I plod along

Well originally I thinking 60% soil, 10% manure mix, 15% coco and 15% pearlite, so maybe that'll be my recipe for the super soil
Sounds like a perfect ratio. :thumb:
and then I'll stagger it with the pearlite like you've now taught me. I'll look into the Aussie versions of bokashi, grass and Dynomyco. That'll give me something to read into while I'm on the treadmill tomorrow! What exactly do you spray them with to activate? Yeah I love how you do the rootball, but being as I kinda have to be stealthy going to and from my grow some, it'll be easier to just take the germed seed to the pots at my site, rather than take youngins and pot up 🤔
Iunderstand now.
I didn’t realize you location situation ;)
I've got a digital pH soil probe coming, so that'll give me a bit of an idea at I plod along
The soil should self regulate to the appropriate ph.
That was why I said don't put in too much coco.
It will give the soil issues regulating ph.
I use a ph tester for my nutrients.
I'm in coco wich requires a preset ph.
In soil your nutrients should be 6.3, if your setting them.
But in soil it isn't as vital to preset your ph.
It's always good to be able to check it though.
Because if its too high or low it can cause issues.
Town water is usually 7ish before you add nutrients, that's usually good.

stay safe
Bill284 😎

Hey y'all,
I'm only new to this site and new to cannabis cultivation, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I'll try and provide as much information as I can.

I'm growing outdoors and my medium will be a mix of seagreens organic soil, pearlite, whoflungdung manure, coco coir.
I've ordered 20xseeds for sacred seeds, they seem pretty reliable (anyone else used them?)
5x gorilla glue, 5x zkittlez, 5x Moby dick and 5x northern lights.
First grow is gonna be 3x gorilla 1xzkittlez and 1x Moby dick I reckon.
I've got 5x 5 gallon fabric pots on the way.
Thinking of getting the green planet nutrient kit from my local hydroshop, it includes duel fuel 1+2, massive bloom and rezin. I have no idea about nutes, I read that autos are a little more sensitive than photos, so any advice or help in the nutrient area would be amazing (particularly how many times to give nutes per week)
I've got a ph tester probe for soil on the way, I read that 6-6.8 is good? I can't get my head around EC or PPM though!
Anyways, I'm honoured to be part of the community here now and I'd like to thank anyone in advance for any advice or help you guys can give me now and during my grow!
Hi, I'm late to the welcoming party and I see you are growing autos. Welcome!

Only thing I don't like about starting in solo cups is that if you get a stretchy seedling, there can be 6-8" or more between the root ball and the top
Then when you come to transplant and bury a bit of stem, the root ball is almost at the bottom of the pot already
I use more shallow, wider pots for seedlings to overcome that problem, it means I can get away with 3L, 5L or 10L pots

Sounds like a perfect ratio. :thumb:

Iunderstand now.
I didn’t realize you location situation ;)

The soil should self regulate to the appropriate ph.
That was why I said don't put in too much coco.
It will give the soil issues regulating ph.
I use a ph tester for my nutrients.
I'm in coco wich requires a preset ph.
In soil your nutrients should be 6.3, if your setting them.
But in soil it isn't as vital to preset your ph.
It's always good to be able to check it though.
Because if its too high or low it can cause issues.
Town water is usually 7ish before you add nutrients, that's usually good.

stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thanks Bill! That's what I used to grow my photos in and they loved it!
I actually used to use ph strips, never had a digital reader before, realised last night they don't work for testing water, so I'm think I'm gonna have to buy some strips or a water reader just to be safe.
You're right about the town water, where I used to live it was about 6.8, which was really good, worse case scenario I can always get distilled water 💧

Only thing I don't like about starting in solo cups is that if you get a stretchy seedling, there can be 6-8" or more between the root ball and the top
Then when you come to transplant and bury a bit of stem, the root ball is almost at the bottom of the pot already
I use more shallow, wider pots for seedlings to overcome that problem, it means I can get away with 3L, 5L or 10L pots
Hey @Roy Growin I was thinking kinda the same thing and seeing as I have to be stealthy anyways when going to and from my grow site, it'll be easier to just take the seeds to their final pots than risk taking seedlings in a backpack anyways

Back
Top Bottom