Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Hello Boxd Wine:circle-of-love: IMO, you can go with our reflector series. If you do not like the fans on our 192x3w light, you can choose 4 of the 48x3w or 2 of the 96x3w light to get the smame coverage. It will be enough for your space. :thumb:

Thank you for the information SmokeSara, it was much appreciated. I have never tried the 192x3, I just was referencing to what another grower said about the fans and heat. I do like the size of the 192x3, probably for a 3x3 area. Sara do you think 3 of the 96x3 would be sufficient for a 4x4 tent, or would 2 of the 144x3 be better? I think I need to stay away from the Mars II series because I tend to grow my plants to tall and the Mars II series needs to be hung 24-30 inches above the plants. Those 5w diodes are powerful.

Thanks TSHRED, all of our lights has 30 days return, and three years' warranty policy. If you have any problem with your light, you can contact us for help. :high-five: Our warehouse is in CA, so if you do not like the light and want to replace a new one, the shipment will be very fast. :high-five:
I'm impressed with the quick responses from Mars Hydro both on discussion groups like this and my email inquiries.

My next question is what is the return policy and process should the light fail? How long before a replacement?
I live in Southern California ...thanks again!

ON EDIT:I found the webpage: Warranty - Mars Hydro

Your welcome Boxd Wine:circle-of-love: IMO, they can all cover your space well, but 3 of the 96x3w light will be more flexible choice. :high-five:
Thank you for the information SmokeSara, it was much appreciated. I have never tried the 192x3, I just was referencing to what another grower said about the fans and heat. I do like the size of the 192x3, probably for a 3x3 area. Sara do you think 3 of the 96x3 would be sufficient for a 4x4 tent, or would 2 of the 144x3 be better? I think I need to stay away from the Mars II series because I tend to grow my plants to tall and the Mars II series needs to be hung 24-30 inches above the plants. Those 5w diodes are powerful.

Hey Boxd Wine, if you only turn the veg bottom on, the actual draw power is around 116watt. :high-five:
Sara, how many watts does the 96x3 use with just the veg switch turned on?

My next question is what is the return policy and process should the light fail? How long before a replacement?
I live in Southern California ...thanks again!

The reality is that the unit is unlikely to be replaced if it fails. As with the vast majority of LED manufacturers, Marshydro are much more likely to send you a replacement part and ask you to fit it yourself than they are to ship you a new unit.

In the vast majority of cases from what i have read, the problems arise from failing drivers, and power banks, (although after 6 months i have yet to experience these issues myself). These parts are fairly simple to replace, although a small amount of tech knowledge helps.

You will find that the vast majority of companies that claim to manufacture their products in the US have the same policy, all they do is ask the REAL supplier in China to send them the part, then they send it to you. Replacing your own parts might not seem like an ideal option, but at least with Marshydro you are dealing with the actual company that produces the lights, rather than a rip off US middleman.

I'm going back and forth deciding between the MHII 400 or the 700 watt. I really want to get the 700w but I'm concerned about my limited 5 feet tall space. Does the 700w need to be farther away from the plants than the 400w? Will the 700w be too close or are they both the same in this regard?

You hang them at the same distance, the increase in wattage of these lights increases the footprint, that is the simple way to look at it.

Get the 700w (in fact i would personally even consider the 900, but 700 will do) and grow your plants with vertical space in mind, i.e LST during veg, and scrog in flower. Plants grown under LED will tend to be shorter and bushier than under HPS, but only if you provide enough light.

With 9 square feet, a 700w unit will give you around 35w per square foot actual draw, a 900w unit will give you around 45. 45w psf is preferable imo.

LST, scrog and be ready to do some intense trainig during the stretch and 5ft should be fine.

I kinda thought that was the whole point of LED lighting, you can use less watts, but achieve the same or higher yield, but better potency. I guy on this forum named Ravyn used a Mars II 1200 in a 5x5 space, and got 20 ozs. He was just barely at the 35 watts per sqft mark.
If i have to go up to 45-50 watts per sq ft., it seems like it's kinda taking the fun out of using LED grow lights.

If you beleive all the marketing these companies want you to beleive then yes, you need less light, less electricity, you get more buds, they are stronger and once a year a sales rep will come over to your house and give you a massage with a happy ending. :) The reality is somewhat different.

LEDs at this level (which are basically the Ford Mondeo of LEDs) need to be looked at as long lasting, fairly efficient, and user friendly methods of reducing the heat in a growtent. You cannot replace 1200w HPS with 1200w of these units and expect it to perform the same in flower, it wont.

I think you forget that the example you refer to of 20oz in a 5x5 is not a 'great' yeild for that space. If you look at HPS growers with railed 2x600w HPS, or 4x400w on dimmable ballasts in a 5x5, they will pull a GPW, meaning they can get towards 40oz out of a 5x5. The only limiting factor is space. I have personally seen 36oz being pulled from a scrog in a 5x5.

20oz is 560g, which means the Mars 1200 is pulling a GPW in comparison to its actual draw (550-600w).....which is a really good amount, but it is no better than a railed 600w HPS will do in the same space if you are dialed in with the right kit and genetics.

There's a lot of false information about LED lights that are counter productive for the image of LEDs in general.....these lights have a lot of strengths, which is why i own them myself, but pretending they are something they aren't is misleading. The facts speak for themselves.

You hang them at the same distance, the increase in wattage of these lights increases the footprint, that is the simple way to look at it.

Get the 700w (in fact i would personally even consider the 900, but 700 will do) and grow your plants with vertical space in mind, i.e LST during veg, and scrog in flower. Plants grown under LED will tend to be shorter and bushier than under HPS, but only if you provide enough light.

With 9 square feet, a 700w unit will give you around 35w per square foot actual draw, a 900w unit will give you around 45. 45w psf is preferable imo.

LST, scrog and be ready to do some intense trainig during the stretch and 5ft should be fine.

Thanks for the advice!
With the 900W in my 32" x 32" x 5' space could I just mount the light at the top of the space and forget it? No messing with raising and lowering?
My first few grows will be autoflowering plants. Probably not my best choice for I am a "newb" who hasn't grown indoors for about 20 years. LOL

Thanks for the advice!
With the 900W in my 32" x 32" x 5' space could I just mount the light at the top of the space and forget it? No messing with raising and lowering?
My first few grows will be autoflowering plants. Probably not my best choice for I am a "newb" who hasn't grown indoors for about 20 years. LOL

First of all, i'm sure a 700w would be fine for 32" x 32", i tend to go big if i can (the premise of 'there's no such thing as too much light) so i'm just saying i would probably go for the 900w, but that's just me :)

There is much debate on the actual optimum height for these lights, some say 24-30", some say 16-20", and distances vary for veg and flower. My advice would be to plan your space with the ability to raise and lower the light if you want to. You may find you never move it, but having the option is always a good thing.

Lastly, i'm afraid i have no experience with autos, but my own first grow was with regular seeds....with a good digital timer there is really nothing complicated at all about using regs. I can recommend Dinafem's indica genetics for a short stocky plant, although i'm sure there are plenty of other options out there.

First of all, i'm sure a 700w would be fine for 32" x 32", i tend to go big if i can (the premise of 'there's no such thing as too much light) so i'm just saying i would probably go for the 900w, but that's just me :)

There is much debate on the actual optimum height for these lights, some say 24-30", some say 16-20", and distances vary for veg and flower. My advice would be to plan your space with the ability to raise and lower the light if you want to. You may find you never move it, but having the option is always a good thing.

Lastly, i'm afraid i have no experience with autos, but my own first grow was with regular seeds....with a good digital timer there is really nothing complicated at all about using regs. I can recommend Dinafem's indica genetics for a short stocky plant, although i'm sure there are plenty of other options out there.

I will probably go with the 900W now with your advice.
Plus I may want to expand out of the closet and it would be nice to have the extra wattage.

---

ON EDIT...Thanks Doozy for the timely advice.

I just picked up a 900W MH II from a seller on eBay who used his for one grow. $225 shipped.

For that price I am willing to jump in to the LED world.
My last grow was 6 plants, soiless wick system, with 1000W MH/HPS in about a 7'x7' room. That was over 20 years ago.

:thanks:

--

LEDs at this level (which are basically the Ford Mondeo of LEDs) need to be looked at as long lasting, fairly efficient, and user friendly methods of reducing the heat in a growtent. You cannot replace 1200w HPS with 1200w of these units and expect it to perform the same in flower, it wont.

There's a lot of false information about LED lights that are counter productive for the image of LEDs in general.....these lights have a lot of strengths, which is why i own them myself, but pretending they are something they aren't is misleading. The facts speak for themselves.

This is patently untrue. :cheesygrinsmiley: LEDs give off about 50% more PAR and PPFD than HIDs. That's a fact. 1200 watts of LED will easily outperform 1200 watts of HID. You can generally replace HPS with 2/3 as much LED draw.

I agree with much of the rest of your post, though. There's a lot of false advertising in the LED business.

:Namaste:

This is patently untrue. :cheesygrinsmiley: LEDs give off about 50% more PAR and PPFD than HIDs. That's a fact. 1200 watts of LED will easily outperform 1200 watts of HID. You can generally replace HPS with 2/3 as much LED draw.

I agree with much of the rest of your post, though. There's a lot of false advertising in the LED business.

Hopefully you are right (you probably are tbh i'm the first to admit PAR values etc is not my strong point), but i'm yet to see the evidence in practice myself....i'll keep my fingers crossed for a bumper harvest though. :)

Edit - i would add that it is also dependant on the type of LEDs being used, but that's another point :)

I will probably go with the 900W now with your advice.
Plus I may want to expand out of the closet and it would be nice to have the extra wattage.

---

ON EDIT...Thanks Doozy for the timely advice.

I just picked up a 900W MH II from a seller on eBay who used his for one grow. $225 shipped.

For that price I am willing to jump in to the LED world.
My last grow was 6 plants, soiless wick system, with 1000W MH/HPS in about a 7'x7' room. That was over 20 years ago.

:thanks:

--

$225 is a bargain, good luck with your grow :)

I am thinking about expanding my grow space. Not so much to have more of it as much as to move the current location. I am currently in an outside building that is heated with an electric space heater. My spaces are 2x2 for veg ans 2x3 for flower. Each space has a Mars 400.

I was thinking of two 3x3 tents in my basement.

Now for a few questions to those who have multiple tents.
1. Should I put both 400s in one tent and get a 700 for the other?
2. If I have carbon filters in both tents, can I use one larger fan to pull through both tents?
3. Does it need to vent to the outside or can I just have it vent into the room?

I was thinking about getting the Mars-Hydro tents. I know a few of you have them. What are your impressions?

Thanks for any input.

So I was catching up on about the last 6 pages and decided it was time to get some clarification on a couple of themes I seen going on here.......

1. When talking about a specific brand of lighting I can see using using a the wattage per square foot equation for reference since they generate the same PAR values, but to generalize that equation across all LED light brands would seem completely false as Different Lights produce different PAR values per watt (Both Focused and Footprints)- Referring to the LED panels using OSRAM's and CREE.
Plants utilize the PAR not the watts.

2. From what I remember from one of the latest COFinest video's he was running 750 watt / 25 square feet = 30 and getting great yields. So I don't get this this 50 being "optimum" - And yes I do believe you can have too much lighting. Not sure at what point a plant would actually suffer from it but I imagine there is a "point" that becomes true. But I mainly disagree because of RIO (return on investment) There has to be a point to where the "returns" start to drastically dwindle.

I will stick to COFinest for reference here (I love his work) - he did Great running (2) 144x3w's in 25 square feet....really did but cant remember what that yield was. Then he did even better with (3) of them.....something like 20oz's? And that was 30 watts per square foot.

So....... here is my question:

What would be more beneficial to yield?
Adding another 144x3w to that same area increasing the wattage per foot to 40 vs 30?
Or
Would it be more beneficial for him to keep the same wattage (30) and increase the grow space say 7.5 square feet?

My thinking says Grow space will up the yield more than the increased wattage. Your thoughts?

Please correct my thinking if out of whack here!

I am not much of a grower but have some pretty decent tech and bodybuilding experience and both of those for a variety of reasons are guiding my logic :)

Well said bro -

Oh, and I love Mars Hydro - best bang for my buck and I just made my 5th order yesterday :)

Back
Top Bottom