Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

I think for autos you want to start as big as you can handle, where you can't just veg to what size of plant you want. I'm guessing with the auto that initial tap root is a factor to the size of the plant

I think for autos you want to start as big as you can handle, where you can't just veg to what size of plant you want. I'm guessing with the auto that initial tap root is a factor to the size of the plant

Well, there is one way to find out....:cool:

They did, but I think they were handicapped by the small 3-gallon (which I am retiring for anytime but starters) and the cold. Three out of 4 germinated and the first 2 were lovely plants. The third is on her way as well..lots more pistils when I looked today (and she is stuck in the dreaded 3-gallon as well).

Somewhere on 420 I recently made a comment about 10-gallons being the max for autos...I don't know where I posted it but I am ignoring my own advice and trying another one of the NLxBB in a 20 gallon with about 15 gallons of soil this summer. They are great genetics and I want to see how big I can get them.

Speaking of big, I just got my 65-gallon pots...holy shit, they are HUGE! I think they are perfect for my hoop house (48x21) but might be too big for the GH (24x12). They would definitely need to be placed on a pallet, filled with the tractor bucket, and moved into the hoop house. But all that happens in the future...

Also ordered some 30 and 45's just so I can have options....pics later.
Here's my JHa and NLa. Still going strong

Speaking of big, I just got my 65-gallon pots...holy shit, they are HUGE! I think they are perfect for my hoop house (48x21) but might be too big for the GH (24x12). They would definitely need to be placed on a pallet, filled with the tractor bucket, and moved into the hoop house. But all that happens in the future...
:rofl::rofl::rofl: What i was thinking when you said 65 Gal. Shit thats BIG!! I had asked in the Jack Herr grow off ,, the composite post > Do you stir your worms and are the containers breathable (wood) ?? Thanks Brother !!

None of the bigger pots are overly tall.....they tend to expand outwards as opposed to upwards. I doubt they are over 20" tall if that high.
I just picture a 45 gallon drum that nice any fat. That would be some good depth

None of the bigger pots are overly tall.....they tend to expand outwards as opposed to upwards. I doubt they are over 20" tall if that high.

I will post a pic with a 65/45/30 and maybe a 5-gallon bucket for reference.

Stank is correct...the height is approx the same...they get wider..in the case of the 65 about 3' across!

o you stir your worms and are the containers breathable (wood) ?? Thanks Brother !!

I use fish totes which are thick plastic, very strong, with lids. They are more horizontal than vertical, stackable, and priced @ $30 where I live.

There are air spaces between the lid and bin so I didn't have to add any air holes. Most totes will need to have some holes drilled in the top of the side of the bin ( not the lid). You want as much surface area as (reasonably) possible in the bin, so lower/longer bins are better than higher/deeper bins. This allows more air interchange with the worms/media and prevent anaerobic conditions...which can cause a smell. I do not have to stir my bins ever.

I use fish totes which are about 10 gallons, thick plastic, and are very strong with lids. They are more horizontal than vertical, stackable, and priced @ $30 where I live. There are air spaces between the lid and bin so I didn't have to add any air holes. Most totes will need to have some holes drilled in the top of the side of the bin ( not the lid). You want as much surface area as (reasonably) possible in the bin, so lower/longer bins are better than higher/deeper bins. This allows more air interchange with the worms/media and prevent anaerobic conditions...which can cause a smell. I do not have to stir my bins ever.
:green_heart::thanks::thanks: I got it now and like the idea you don't have to stir that is a no no for me , probably not any fish totes around here but am sure i can come up with something , will have to look into the worms next .

I got it now and like the idea you don't have to stir that is a no no for me , probably not any fish totes around here but am sure i can come up with something , will have to look into the worms next .

Look anywhere they have food...like supermarkets. Sometimes they have "disposables" that are still good or you can barter with the dudes that work in the back...:ganjamon:

Once you get started, you'll realize "why didn't I do more?"...I am still increasing my capacity every year. in my area people get the value and it is good to have something to trade that they don't have...:yummy:

@Van Stank @Itibitiguy Just measured the 65-gallon and the sides are 18" high...not so overwhelmed now the more I look at it. Would def need to 1) leave it where I plant it or 2) have it on a pallet to move with tractor. I'm liking the new pots I found on A-zon...TH Choice (get it?! ;))..they sell them in 10-packs but for a decent price. Also come in tan which is what I got. I bought 30/45/65 gallons so I can play with them.

Yeah I knew they wouldn't be over 20" tall. The roots just don't generally go down that far......but they will shoot outwards as far as you let em go in their limited time.

The tan will definitely be better at keeping lower soil temps than the black ones. But with huge pots you don't see anywhere near the temp swings in soil as you see in the pots that under 25 gallons.

Kids are excited for the Easter BUNNY...I am excited for the Easter BEANY! Just ordered a load of autos from @SeedsMan. So many to choose from, but I stuck with World of Seeds, Fat Bud and @SeedsMan for genetics. Stay tuned for some sexy autos early summer....Amnesia, GSC, UK Cheese, Sweet Coffee Ryder, Lemon Auto, WW, Kush, Diesel, Skunk #1....
:yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom