Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Your girls are looking great! Loving the babies in the nursery, too! I hope they are all girls!

Thanks. Yes, determining the boys from the girls...will be another learning curve for me! I need to read more on it, and I am sure it is somewhere in the 50 pages of @Van Stank 's perpetual grow page, but the quick question is ...when will I know?

Slowly but surely they are getting there. We had 2 weeks of 35-45F so I was overly optimistic that I could get them in the greenhouse if that kept up. It hasn't. Currently 7F (-2 with wind chill) and they are saying 12-16" of snow likely next week. We can still grow lettuce with wind and snow, but I am doubtful these girls will want to see anything below 60F (which we can maintain when temps don't drop below 40F). This is an experiment and why I only started 2 seeds out of 10. I plan on trying the same start for both possibly end of this month. If anyone has advice on low temps re growth issues please share. Thanks.
20170311_063314_resized.jpg
I was dealing with same issue since your only doing 2 find a small space in house where its warm and setup some cheap cfl's to keep them going til weather warms up.

Thanks. Yes, determining the boys from the girls...will be another learning curve for me! I need to read more on it, and I am sure it is somewhere in the 50 pages of @Van Stank 's perpetual grow page, but the quick question is ...when will I know?
In my very limited experience, I noticed the males tend to reveal themselves a tad earlier than the females do. This held true for our Harlequin and our Stankberry males. Small sample size, but that's what I noticed so far.

Ok, generally they will start to show pre flowers about the same time they start showing alternating nodes. If you don't know what I mean by alternating nodes, please let me know....I have a picture that will explain it easily.

So once your plant shows alternating nodes, it will likely start showing the sex shortly afterwards. The females will have a thin hair shooting out of the pre flower, and a male will have what looks like a little ball sack.

Ok, generally they will start to show pre flowers about the same time they start showing alternating nodes. If you don't know what I mean by alternating nodes, please let me know....I have a picture that will explain it easily.

So once your plant shows alternating nodes, it will likely start showing the sex shortly afterwards. The females will have a thin hair shooting out of the pre flower, and a male will have what looks like a little ball sack.

Cool. I'll wait to see the nodes.

I'll most likely up-pot these into a 7-gallon in the next 2 weeks or so...I was just curious how much time do you dedicate to the plant before you know and weed them out? I might do some guerrilla gardening and drops some males off around town to see how they do in the wild.

Generally about a month old or so and they will show you what they are. I have seen it as early as about 25 days and as late as about 40 days. Generally 30-35 days will be your sweet spot (at least they were mine). As always, these are just rules of thumb and nothing in concrete.

Plants look Good Blew !! I hope they can make it for you through the cold !

We are def out of the cold...first winter crop was dealing with -10F and they were ok, so now I am more concerned with the sunny, warm days. My GH was 110F the other day when I was boiling sap, and the insulated box actually kept the plant temps around 80F.

I'm def looking forward to pulling the plants out into the sunshine! Middle of April will give me 13.5 hours daylight, so hopefully the nighttime temps will be above 40F (which would translate to about 55F in the GH)

Just a sunny, beautiful "spring" day (still a foot of snow on the ground) so I let the girls soak up some good old-fashioned sunshine!

Shot of the Box empty

Stank Genetics underway

Alien Mephisto Week 6

NLxBB week 3...check out the runt, who is slowly improving...

Now check out her sister, dropped the SAME day...and now showing Pistils :cheer:

Poor runt.... amazing how small she is compared to the other one

Pictures don't lie...could have been cold shunting, could have been...anything really. Guess we'll see what a 6-inch plant looks like with pistils :)

Hea Blew did those seeds come from the same factory ? What a difference:confused: !!

They did, but I think they were handicapped by the small 3-gallon (which I am retiring for anytime but starters) and the cold. Three out of 4 germinated and the first 2 were lovely plants. The third is on her way as well..lots more pistils when I looked today (and she is stuck in the dreaded 3-gallon as well).

Somewhere on 420 I recently made a comment about 10-gallons being the max for autos...I don't know where I posted it but I am ignoring my own advice and trying another one of the NLxBB in a 20 gallon with about 15 gallons of soil this summer. They are great genetics and I want to see how big I can get them.

Speaking of big, I just got my 65-gallon pots...holy shit, they are HUGE! I think they are perfect for my hoop house (48x21) but might be too big for the GH (24x12). They would definitely need to be placed on a pallet, filled with the tractor bucket, and moved into the hoop house. But all that happens in the future...

Also ordered some 30 and 45's just so I can have options....pics later.

Back
Top Bottom