Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Doesn't everyone want a bigger tractor?
I have a B2650 and it does 99% of what I need...and then for the other 1% my neighbor has a L30-something...I love that I can weasel around tight spaces and get it in my high tunnel easily.

Jelly now.... lol
I plan on selling the tiller in the spring...it's been idle for 2 years....I originally got it because we were dealing with 2-3 acres of (100 year) fallow pastures and I thought a tiller would be the best approach...and then I saw how effective my pigs were...plus the bonus of being super delicious. I've been rotating their pasture with cover crops for 3 years now...also a lot less wear and tear on the tractor.

Merry Christmas to you, BH, and to all your family. Hope you have a great growing season as well. Cheers

And here we go.....

It's been busy AF last week or more with visiting in-laws, making Christmas gift basket deliveries to friends and associates, kids concerts, etc. Admittedly, I was also very unsure of my grow location options...I chose the GH insulated Box again this winter for several reasons. Humidity was an issue in the Cottage last winter because the insulation is so tight and I had condensation dripping off the foundation walls and pooling...which then swelled an area of my wooden steps. Also, I had more guests there than planned and the same will be true for this winter. The only downside of the GH Box is I am limited to 2-3 plants (I am going with 2x) and there is always a risk of losing power and them freezing. @SeedsMan was kind enough to send me a smorgasbord of their Kush genetics and I chose the feminized Bubba Kush and Afghan Kush....nice to not have to roll the dice hoping for all females. I started them in my dark basement on top of my wood pellet boiler....they were there maybe 1-2 days with a small window maybe 6 feet away...the Afghan Kush was reaching for it! Last night was their first night under proper lighting (5pm-8am) so I am expecting them perk up in the coming days. Again, I am using a heating pad running 24/7 and I will keep an eye on temps in the coming days to make sure we are in range (55-95F). I also learned from 2 winters ago and filled 10x 5g buckets from the hose (before I stowed it for the winter) I had up there (from washing, etc) so I don't have to hump as much water.

Highya BH,

Looks like you'll have a "kushy spring" next year. Is growing in the winter worth the expense? Just curious.

About the wood pellet boiler - I'm guessing hot water heat, circulators, zones, etc. Is the fuel comparable to buying wood for stove? Say, under $1000/year? Also, just curious. I use wood exclusively, and cut and split myself. For the exercise, partly, lol. Have a great Spring! Cheers

About the wood pellet boiler
I've got a 23 year old wood burning water furnace....keeping ahead of the leaks now is getting to be a chore!! I go thru about 8 to 10 bush cord but usually hardly any splitting.
Merry Xmas all !!! :thumb:

Looks like you'll have a "kushy spring" next year. Is growing in the winter worth the expense? Just curious.
Lights cost more than sun, but I do it for my mental health...it gives me a winter project and I love to see something green and happy in February :)
About the wood pellet boiler - I'm guessing hot water heat, circulators, zones, etc. Is the fuel comparable to buying wood for stove? Say, under $1000/year? Also, just curious.
We were lucky to get our hands on a Harmon pellet boiler before the FDA made them stop production (just fell short of the crazy low emission requirements, which is hilarious when you see a neighbors outdoor boiler burning trash!) It heats our floors, radiators (only when it is below 0F, which is rare) and hot water. We go through about $1250-1500 a winter in pellets, all sourced in Maine (or Canada). Pellets are carbon neutral and the money stays local versus fossil fuel $ going out of NE.
I use wood exclusively, and cut and split myself. For the exercise, partly, lol. Have a great Spring! Cheers
We use a wood stove at our cabin and I love sourcing and prepping the wood as well. My 10-year son is learning the value of a good days work when he helps me. Plus, I am surrounded by enough timber to last several lifetimes...pellet production is a complex process, and they need to be delivered, so if that supply is ever disrupted we have a wood cookstove as well.

I've got a 23 year old wood burning water furnace....keeping ahead of the leaks now is getting to be a chore!! I go thru about 8 to 10 bush cord but usually hardly any splitting.
Merry Xmas all !!! :thumb:
It burns rounds?

Back
Top Bottom