Junior Grower First Time

When the soil dries, it's highly important that you revert to watering the soil. You do not want your roots to dry for too long, just enough to encourage them to grow and search for more, but then you water and restart that process.

@Nunyabiz @Skybound yes the blue pot died :(

Day 6,

Day 7,

Stay in them little pots till the plants are almost a foot tall (25-30cm).

Here's where I see things totally different than just about everyone else on this site apparently.
My way of thinking is I wouldn't leave them in those little plastic pots more than maybe another 10 days or so.

I would spend that time gathering materials to make a really good very aerated soil, specifically a Clackamas Coots soil recipe.
With lots of rice hulls, pumice, biochar.

Get the biggest FABRIC pot your space and you can handle, but at least 7 gallon if you're going to bottle feed.
Double that if you were to do a Living Organic Soil.
Layer the soil in the pot and every couple handfuls wet it down so when you're done the soil is no longer hydrophobic and is evenly wet from top to bottom.
Then let that settle a few days.
If you start out with proper soil with plenty of aeration in fabric pots then it would actually be difficult to overwater, and the plants roots get plenty of oxygen.
The root mass will also get far larger because of the air pruning and you wont get root bound.
Then carefully transplant to their final pots.

Mentally committing to scheduled events like up potting is a bad habit unless you can guarantee the root mass is large enough and warrants more media. I find it more useful to set growth goals, and when the plant achieves that, I then shift to the next set of goals. This way if there are any lack of vigor due to any of many possible reasons, I'm not locked in.

The plants still look okay - considering they probably have no fresh air around their roots. But you wrote that you watered one even when you knew it didn’t need it. :(

Do your plants a favor, and please follow this:
Stop misting with a sprayer. If you need to raise the humidity, place the pots on top of some rocks in a saucer filled with water.
Weigh each pot today and record the weights.
Watch the plants.
Weigh the pots tomorrow and record the weights.
Watch the plants.
Weigh the pots the next day and record the weights.
Watch the plants.
And keep doing this until the pots weigh half what they weigh today, or the plants show a slight wilt.
Then water slowly. Let the water seep in. Don’t dump it all in one spot, but circle the plant about twice as far away as it is tall.
Weigh the pot after you get some runoff.
Repeat the weighing and watching.
Eventually, you will get a “feel” for it.

If you keep watering the way you have been, there’s really no help for ya.

:ganjamon:

Hey @Grower Washington Jr - your plants are looking good but @FelipeBlu know's what he's talking about and has given some great info. Follow it and you'll be golden! :ganjamon: Watering is the most important process to get down - proper watering will build a proper root structure, and that is the key to any healthy plant.

The plants still look okay - considering they probably have no fresh air around their roots. But you wrote that you watered one even when you knew it didn’t need it. :(

Do your plants a favor, and please follow this:
Stop misting with a sprayer. If you need to raise the humidity, place the pots on top of some rocks in a saucer filled with water.
Weigh each pot today and record the weights.
Watch the plants.
Weigh the pots tomorrow and record the weights.
Watch the plants.
Weigh the pots the next day and record the weights.
Watch the plants.
And keep doing this until the pots weigh half what they weigh today, or the plants show a slight wilt.
Then water slowly. Let the water seep in. Don’t dump it all in one spot, but circle the plant about twice as far away as it is tall.
Weigh the pot after you get some runoff.
Repeat the weighing and watching.
Eventually, you will get a “feel” for it.

If you keep watering the way you have been, there’s really no help for ya.

:ganjamon:

Thanks for the guide. To make the record without confusing i'll have to label them.

FelipeBlu's trying to get you in the hang of fighting against your own urges to intervene. Because your soil drains so poorly, you have no choice but to wait it out. Over time your plants will grow and their roots will populate more of the dirt and when that occurs, the roots will be able to drink the water out of the dirt and speed up the waiting part, but for now, while the plant is small and the root system is still small, you have to be patient! I promise you that as your plants grow, the time between waters will be reduced.

To fight the high temperature, i set the grow light on at night time and off at day time. Yesterday noon (which is night time for plants) i saw one of them droop, and I know the soil is very dry. This convinced me the plant is underwater and I water them immediately. I recheck them later when the grow light on, they recovered from drooping.

Just now I so happen to check the plant again (grow light off), both of them droop again. This makes me wonder, do you guys plants always droop during night time? Or this is just me?

FelipeBlu's trying to get you in the hang of fighting against your own urges to intervene. Because your soil drains so poorly, you have no choice but to wait it out. Over time your plants will grow and their roots will populate more of the dirt and when that occurs, the roots will be able to drink the water out of the dirt and speed up the waiting part, but for now, while the plant is small and the root system is still small, you have to be patient! I promise you that as your plants grow, the time between waters will be reduced.

Yes, i realized that is a good method to hold my urge. The record is visualizing the progress, i feel more secure in this way.

Plants droop for more reasons than being too dry. They will droop when they sleep (lights out), when they are over-watered, when they are in pH crisis, among other things. What was your weight difference from when you watered last?

Do you have another of those same pots, and some more of the same soil? You could fill a pot and weigh it to see what it’s like when it’s bone dry (or at least needs water), assuming your soil isn’t already moistened. That gives you your lowest point. You should aim for at least halfway between watered and dry before you water again.

Plants droop for more reasons than being too dry. They will droop when they sleep (lights out), when they are over-watered, when they are in pH crisis, among other things. What was your weight difference from when you watered last?

Do you have another of those same pots, and some more of the same soil? You could fill a pot and weigh it to see what it’s like when it’s bone dry (or at least needs water), assuming your soil isn’t already moistened. That gives you your lowest point. You should aim for at least halfway between watered and dry before you water again.

Yes, that's what i do previously, i have third pot with the same soil filled in, and when ww1 and ww2 weight is just about the same compare with the empty pot (with dry soil) only i water them.

As what you stated, I still do it wrong previously because I might make it too dry.

To fight the high temperature, i set the grow light on at night time and off at day time. Yesterday noon (which is night time for plants) i saw one of them droop, and I know the soil is very dry. This convinced me the plant is underwater and I water them immediately. I recheck them later when the grow light on, they recovered from drooping.

Just now I so happen to check the plant again (grow light off), both of them droop again. This makes me wonder, do you guys plants always droop during night time? Or this is just me?
Drooping at night is perfectly normal. It's the plant sleeping. And during this time it works on growth within the plant. As the leaves are not needed at this time they droop. Even in 24hr light the leaves will droop 4 to 6 hours every day.

Day 9,

@FelipeBlu if empty pot is 65g, ww1 is 172g, ww2 is 187g after water. Is that mean i have to wait until ww1 become 118g and ww2 become 126g at least?

Don't be so robotic in the math. You're looking for a fairly wide and forgivable range so a little over or a little under won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back. That said, let's estimate that 65 grams for both pots is done dry and 170 grams for total saturation. Water again when each pot is in the 80-100 gram window. For whatever reason you may wish to water at 70 grams or maybe 110 grams and that's fine too, but more or less, I think your ideal window is 80-100 grams to water again.

Back
Top Bottom