Jl01's Blue Dream Indoor Grow: First Time Grower, 2019

I guess it's all about timing and available space. If you have the space and no time deadlines, then let them veg until you feel they are big enough to fill your space comfortably, factoring in the future stretch that comes with early bloom. This will vary greatly with different strains, but plan on a minimum of 30 percent stretch. Here is an example, with 5 plants in a 4x4. Vegged for 70 days, in flower now for 10 days.
I feel like I waited a little too long in veg, because it's getting full.
The two closest and on each side of the door is the same as you just started, cream and cheese cbd.
Once again, many many variables. Genetics, lights, nutrients, ect will all play a part.
I'm no expert on the matter, but I thought you could use an example, if nothing else, just to see some cream and cheese!

Hey thanks, this is great advice. So essentialy I want to make the switch when the canopy is 2/3rds to 3/4th of the way full to account for stretch?

Out of curiosity, what happens if you let your grow space get too crowded? I'm assuming it'll be more vulnerable to muld and other problems. I guess your buds would all turn out much smaller?

Anyways, I appreciate the advice! Great looking plants, I can't wait to try the cream & cheese.

Hey thanks, this is great advice. So essentialy I want to make the switch when the canopy is 2/3rds to 3/4th of the way full to account for stretch?

Out of curiosity, what happens if you let your grow space get too crowded? I'm assuming it'll be more vulnerable to muld and other problems. I guess your buds would all turn out much smaller?

Anyways, I appreciate the advice! Great looking plants, I can't wait to try the cream & cheese.

Well you want think about it this way, plants sometimes close to double in size when flowering. You have a 4’ tent, with a light hanging roughly 12” below the top of the tent, leaving you with three feet to play with. Then you need to think about having the light say close to 24” above the plant (for easy math) that means in a 4’ tent a person could grow a. 6” plant in veg. Lol just kidding that sounds ridiculous!

I had a 5 foot tent, and had 24-30” plants. I’m just rambling now!! :laugh:

There’s many ways to battle the problem of being to crowded. Could weigh your options if the time came and take the appropriate steps necessary.

Higher chance of having bud rot for sure would be a down side but, you can combat that with adequate air flow.

The colas size will determine on the size of your light/ the quality of your nutrients!! :thumb:

Well you want think about it this way, plants sometimes close to double in size when flowering. You have a 4’ tent, with a light hanging roughly 12” below the top of the tent, leaving you with three feet to play with. Then you need to think about having the light say close to 24” above the plant (for easy math) that means in a 4’ tent a person could grow a. 6” plant in veg. Lol just kidding that sounds ridiculous!

I had a 5 foot tent, and had 24-30” plants. I’m just rambling now!! :laugh:

I'm just now realizing that I probably made it seem like the height of my tent is 4ft, but what I actually meant is that it's 4ft long by 4ft wide, but the height is actually 7' (I don't think I ever mentioned that). So I actually have quite a bit of room to play with. Sorry for the confusion there :p

But I see your point, I definitely want to be aware of the limitations when it comes to indoor growing, and that was a helpful point.

While I'm online I thought I'd provide a quick update. There's not a whole lot to report, except that the plants are growing (mostly) smoothly.

The biggest plant (Blue dream #1) is humming along pretty smoothly, the stem is starting to get a bit thick and the roots are becoming quite visible through the clear cup. I'll probably go ahead and transplant it into it's final container some time in the next week or so. I'm going to use 5gal fabric grow bags, and I have a soil 'recipe' I've put together from doing a bit of research on this site and others that I'll share. Maybe I can put that together this weekend.

5D17CECC-92BE-47F2-872C-27E103AAFB4D_1_105_c.jpeg
IMG_2118.jpeg
IMG_2117.jpeg

The second plant is doing okay too. I caught the tiniest little white bug (it looked like a super tiny caterpillar) munching on one of the leaves and it did a little bit of damage before I got to it, but it's just one leaf. I noticed some small moths in my basement, and I'm sure it came from one of them. I'm going to use some Neem on them, and hopefully that will take care of that. Maybe some moth balls around the tent will prevent that as well. That was probably 4 or 5 days ago and I haven't noticed any since.

6058DE00-C826-44C3-A07E-05F05BDA414E_1_105_c.jpeg
4C572A2D-58E5-44AA-87B0-29F835AB8958_1_105_c.jpeg

The third plant (cream & cheese) is doing just fine. She sprouted the other day and seems to be loving life.

79D043CF-44C3-4FC2-A251-E491EE050824_1_105_c.jpeg
DE00F76D-602A-42D3-9CFE-94C92554FF01_1_105_c.jpeg

Anyways, that's all for today. I'll probably post another update this weekend if I transplant the most mature plant.

Just a word of advice bro!

When you transplant, set your self up to transplant all of them.

If you need to go a bit longer then anticipated, then do it. Unless the plant is showing sign of being root bound, then keep them all together with transplant times.

From my experience, it’s better to transplant at the same time to keep the growth chart on track with the rest of them.

I transplanted my BC much later then my two DA and the bc is light years behind the other two in size difference lol

Just a word of advice bro!

When you transplant, set your self up to transplant all of them.

If you need to go a bit longer then anticipated, then do it. Unless the plant is showing sign of being root bound, then keep them all together with transplant times.

From my experience, it’s better to transplant at the same time to keep the growth chart on track with the rest of them.

I transplanted my BC much later then my two DA and the bc is light years behind the other two in size difference lol

I think you're right, so I actually decided to hold off a week and transplant them all at some point next week. I'm going to build a soil with compost and some organic fertilizers with FFHF as a base, and I want to avoid having to do that twice or let it dry out waiting to transplant another. And like you said, I don't want the more mature one to shoot up and leave the other two plants behind. Thanks!

Okay here's a quick update.

Plant #1 is still growing steadily, but I'm getting pretty significant yellowing on some of the bottom leaves and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what's going on. Just based off of a few quick google searches, it looks symptomatic of PH issues, but I'm using purified water out of a jug so I don't have to use tap water, and the nutrients don't seem to change the PH so I should be very close to a neutral PH. I'm noticing the leaves aren't all that eager to grow outward, so they're definitely getting less light. I guess that might have something to do with it? I'm continuing to use liquid seaweed and URB at pretty low concentrations 1x per week. It would be pretty early to be seeing any kind of nutrient deficiency at this stage, right? They're currently in Happy Frog soil with no amendments.

You can also notice that the roots are getting pretty heavily concentrated at the bottom, so I'm trying to avoid watering too much and allowing the roots to stay soaked. As mentioned in my post above, I'm going to transplant them into 5gal bags probably this weekend.

Pictures of Plant #1:

IMG_2148.jpeg
IMG_2149.jpeg
IMG_2158.jpeg

The second plant is doing great, and seems to be growing outward a bit more than the first. Not a whole lot to report on this plant, It's definitely catching up to #1 above the soil, but still has some way to go to fill out it's roots.
IMG_2152.jpeg
IMG_2153.jpeg
IMG_2154.jpeg

#3, the cream & cheese plant is still coming along nicely as well

IMG_2157.jpeg

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great advice so far, I'm glad to have a few folks with a bit more experience to help me along.

They need to be up potted as soon as humanly possible.

For soil grows, ph should be set to 6.5 for optimal growth.

In coco, 5.8 for optimal growth.

Yes those symptoms are telling me that your plants are root bound! Screaming to you, “please give me more room for my feet to expand!”

You will want to do it in your near future! :thumb:

Also, careful spraying water on your plants. When you leave water droplets on your leafs, they act as a magnifying glass, and burn your leaves.

Leaving you with lil wet water droplets all over making you think a deficiency is happening.

You can foliage feed your plants. It has great benefits to doing so, but spraying water on your plants is much different from foliar feedings.

They need to be up potted as soon as humanly possible.

For soil grows, ph should be set to 6.5 for optimal growth.

In coco, 5.8 for optimal growth.

Yes those symptoms are telling me that your plants are root bound! Screaming to you, “please give me more room for my feet to expand!”

You will want to do it in your near future! :thumb:

Ah, I'm glad you posted that. After a few hours of no responses on this thread I did transplant it into some pure happy frog in a clay pot I had sitting around upstairs that probably holds 3x as much soil as the current solo cup. I suppose I'll let it recover from the transplant for a week or so before going into the final container of fertilized soil.

Of all the grow journals and videos I've looked at, I'm not sure I've ever seen a plant so small above soil become root bound. But I'm glad my intuition was right in this case.

Also, careful spraying water on your plants. When you leave water droplets on your leafs, they act as a magnifying glass, and burn your leaves.

Leaving you with lil wet water droplets all over making you think a deficiency is happening.

You can foliage feed your plants. It has great benefits to doing so, but spraying water on your plants is much different from foliar feedings.

This is great advice, thanks for this tip. Glad to have you following along.

Ah, I'm glad you posted that. After a few hours of no responses on this thread I did transplant it into some pure happy frog in a clay pot I had sitting around upstairs that probably holds 3x as much soil as the current solo cup. I suppose I'll let it recover from the transplant for a week or so before going into the final container of fertilized soil.

Of all the grow journals and videos I've looked at, I'm not sure I've ever seen a plant so small above soil become root bound. But I'm glad my intuition was right in this case.

This is great advice, thanks for this tip. Glad to have you following along.

You transplanted then all at the same time right?

I’m glad you went with your gut. :thumb:

Hey all, sorry it's been so long since I last posted, but I wanted to give a quick update today.

All three plants have been moved to their final containers, which are 7gal fabric grow bags. Each seems to be going strong in their own way. I put together my own organic soil using Happy Frog soil as a base and adding worm castings, compost, perlite, and happy frog 5-8-4 fertilizer, which should give it a boost during the flowering period. I'm also continuing to use Urb, seaweed extract, and molasses 1x/wk also.

Plant #1 has been continuing to grow slow and steady, but has been outgrown by plant #2. I topped both of them on Sunday after they recovered from transplanting last week.

Here's a picture of all three plants, you can tell they're all very short & bushy, and the nodes are all spaced pretty closely together. I'm wondering if that's because they're getting a lot of light? FYI, I modified the coloring of these photos to adjust for the lighting.

IMG_2281.jpeg

They're numbered by the order in which they were planted. As you can see, plant #2 is getting much bigger. I think plant #1 getting root bound held it back a little bit, but it seems pretty healthy right now. The leaves and stem also seem to be thicker than #2 as well.

These are some close ups of plant #1:

IMG_2243.jpeg
IMG_2263.jpeg

You can see where I circled the 2x nodes coming out of where I topped it. I may have been a little late to top, but I'm not too concerned.

Plant #2 is probably doing the best of the three, you can see it's growing much wider and the volume is generally greater than the older plant.

IMG_2269.jpeg
IMG_2274.jpeg

You can see that the double-nodes are coming out below where it topped the plant. Kind of strange but doesn't seem to be too big of a deal.

Plant #3 (cream & cheese) is still the baby, but is definitely making some progress. I'll probably top this one a little bit earlier than I did the others, so probably here in the next couple of days.

IMG_2276.jpeg
IMG_2275.jpeg

Anyways, I guess things will probably start developing pretty quickly going forward so I may post a little bit more often. Still planning to scrog, in fact, I actually have the net up, but the plants are so short that they're nowhere near reaching it. I'm not sure if I should be trimming these gals yet, I guess I was planning on waiting until it reached the trellis to do so. Any feedback would be great! thanks everyone for all the advice so far!

Attachments

• IMG_2272.jpeg
    IMG_2272.jpeg
    658.6 KB · Views: 30
You’ve got complete normal growth. Those are branches coming in above the fan leaves under neath the topping. Those branches are what you will want to tie down if your going to train your plants.

Everything’s looking healthy, and moving right along! :bravo::yahoo:

Okay back again with another update. Nothing major to report, but I've had a few rookie things happen in the last week or so. I just gave them their second feeding of a very basic compost tea, their first was about two weeks ago and I'll probably feed them once every other week or so. It's just Urb, liquid seaweed, and molasses in water, with a sock-ful of a few cups of compost and worm castings brewed for about 12hrs.

Here's a picture of all three plants. I did a little bit of LST, and put up the scrog net, which two of the plants have reached. Sorry about the visibility, I edited the pictures the best I could to remove the pink/red coloring, while not totally obscuring things. I also just cleaned up the tent; there was a bunch of runoff from on the floor from feeding them but I wiped it all up and scrubbed real hard to prevent any mildew, etc.

IMG_2351.jpeg

Oddly enough, plant #2 has continued to outpace Plant #1, which was planted a full week before. I'm guessing it has at least twice as much mass, and many more bud sites. I ended up topping both of them twice, and did a little bit of LST on this one before it reached the trellis. I guess it was a bit too aggressive (or maybe I'm just too clumsy), because I snapped the main stem. It wasn't shorn all the way off, though; about half of it remained attached, so I immediately reset it and wrapped it in some floral tape (thanks to my wife for that) and left it to heal for a couple of days. It left a nasty scar, but there's no noticeable different difference between the nodes above the brake and below, they're still growing pretty quickly.

These are both pictures of Plant #2, the second being the scar from the snapped stem.

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2369.jpeg

Here's plant #1, as you can see, the soil beneath is still quite visible, and hasn't reached outward growth beyond the rim of the fabric grow bag. Maybe the root binding a couple of weeks ago stunted it's growth or something? More likely just a matter of genetics, I guess. Heck, it could be one of those Super Lemon Hazes from when I mixed up the labeling back when they were seedlings.

IMG_2353.jpeg

And here's the baby. You can see the little painted wire I'm using to do a little bit of LST before it reaches the trellis. I've topped this one once, and I probably won't top again since i already have a nice 4-way growth going, and I don't want it to have to slow her down at all with how far behind the others she is.

IMG_2359.jpeg

One thing I've been wondering is what I can do with these enormous fan leaves growing out of some of the main nodes. Will it do more harm than good to get rid of some of the biggest, most obstructive ones? They're really taking up a good bit of light, taking away from some of the smaller flowering sites below. Most of the research I've turned up says to wait until flower cycle to do any pruning, but some of these fan leaves just seem excessively big.

Anways, as always, thanks everyone for all the help so far. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom