InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Monday update while I get to catching up on the 450+ notifications I got when I was off the computer for the last few days!

Mostly this will be about the 1990's Afghani reg seeds that smokesbetter dropped off at my house a while back, with a bit of other stuff at the end.

Here are the 10 seeds I have to work with:

Yesterday I split them into two batches of 5 and dropped them in bowls for a soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide:

I always place a paper towel on top to force them down so the whole seed is covered rather than just the bottom half:

I dried them and placed each set in a quart mason jar, one set with a ripening banana and one set by themselves:

After that both jars went into a drawer laid so that the seeds wouldn't touch the banana and possibly rot.

This morning the banana jar was pretty moist inside:

I aired it out for a few seconds (which released all the ethylene in the jar) but I'm worried about the moisture going forward. I've read that a ripening apple puts out even more ethylene, so I'm going to test-jar an apple for a day and see if I get the same type fogging on the inside. If not, I may switch to the apple once this banana needs replacing (when it start to rot).

After 5 days of ethylene exposure I will take the seeds and put them in the jar between damp paper towel (not my normal route but it will increase ethylene exposure during germination) and include either an apple or a banana in with them. The control seeds will just be on damp paper towel. The jars will be placed in a box on the heat mat at 80ºF and we'll see how it goes!

If that doesn't work, I'll try to locate where I stored my gibberellic powder (GA3) as that is supposed to help with germination at specific concentrations. We'll see!

In other news, back in September I cut open a peach and the pit had split open revealing the seed. I googled how to germinate it and it said put it in a baggie filled with damp soil and walk away for a while.

That was Sept 13th and I completely forgot about up the side of the house until I needed some paint this weekend. which is stored in tubs at the far end. This is what I discovered:

So I pulled it out:

And planted it in a 1/2 gallon pot, soaked it, covered the whole thing with a ziploc, and put it back where it was. The nights are getting more chilly with each passing day so I may bring it inside for a better chance at survival. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it starts looking like a real plant.

That's it from me, and I hope your weekend went well, your week is off to a great start, and your teams played more like the Dodgers and the Chiefs than like Michigan's football team. :(

:thanks: for the check-in!

I aired it out for a few seconds (which released all the ethylene in the jar) but I'm worried about the moisture going forward.
I wonder if you could do the same thing in a small box, as opposed to a jar?
- it'd hold the ethylene in pretty well, but wick the moisture into the cardboard, where it couldn't do any damage to the vintage seeds... 🤔
I'll let you know in a few weeks if it starts looking like a real plant.
After a start like that, looking like a real plant is the easy part...😁

Those Sour G's do seem to sprout pretty well and @marcus611a grows the heck out of them. Good thing you have more to try again in the spring. :high-five:

I don't remember smoking anything with a name in the 70s other than what we were told was blonde Lebanese hash.
Before my grow experience in the late 80s, we bought QPs of what looked like pressed, very dark green "Afghani" weed that was delivered from across the country packed into cookie tins and surrounded by coffee grounds.

Monday update while I get to catching up on the 450+ notifications I got when I was off the computer for the last few days!

Mostly this will be about the 1990's Afghani reg seeds that smokesbetter dropped off at my house a while back, with a bit of other stuff at the end.

Here are the 10 seeds I have to work with:

Yesterday I split them into two batches of 5 and dropped them in bowls for a soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide:

I always place a paper towel on top to force them down so the whole seed is covered rather than just the bottom half:

I dried them and placed each set in a quart mason jar, one set with a ripening banana and one set by themselves:

After that both jars went into a drawer laid so that the seeds wouldn't touch the banana and possibly rot.

This morning the banana jar was pretty moist inside:

I aired it out for a few seconds (which released all the ethylene in the jar) but I'm worried about the moisture going forward. I've read that a ripening apple puts out even more ethylene, so I'm going to test-jar an apple for a day and see if I get the same type fogging on the inside. If not, I may switch to the apple once this banana needs replacing (when it start to rot).

After 5 days of ethylene exposure I will take the seeds and put them in the jar between damp paper towel (not my normal route but it will increase ethylene exposure during germination) and include either an apple or a banana in with them. The control seeds will just be on damp paper towel. The jars will be placed in a box on the heat mat at 80ºF and we'll see how it goes!

If that doesn't work, I'll try to locate where I stored my gibberellic powder (GA3) as that is supposed to help with germination at specific concentrations. We'll see!

In other news, back in September I cut open a peach and the pit had split open revealing the seed. I googled how to germinate it and it said put it in a baggie filled with damp soil and walk away for a while.

That was Sept 13th and I completely forgot about up the side of the house until I needed some paint this weekend. which is stored in tubs at the far end. This is what I discovered:

So I pulled it out:

And planted it in a 1/2 gallon pot, soaked it, covered the whole thing with a ziploc, and put it back where it was. The nights are getting more chilly with each passing day so I may bring it inside for a better chance at survival. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it starts looking like a real plant.

That's it from me, and I hope your weekend went well, your week is off to a great start, and your teams played more like the Dodgers and the Chiefs than like Michigan's football team. :(

:thanks: for the check-in!
Awesome post BTW! ❤️

Do you live in a good climate for growing Peach trees?

I REALLY hope the experiment works, It would be a great Hack.
Too bad I went thru all my crosses trying to get 1 to work.
I do too, and if the ethylene doesn't do it I have high hopes for the GA3 if I can find it. I still have the three bottles of low ppm stuff in my office fridge from 2021. Too weak for seed germination from what I read though.
I wonder if you could do the same thing in a small box, as opposed to a jar?
- it'd hold the ethylene in pretty well, but wick the moisture into the cardboard, where it couldn't do any damage to the vintage seeds
Given the concentration of ethylene from bananas compared to the gas they pump in during experiments, I wouldn't feel confident about maximizing the ppm in a box vs a sealed jar. Either way, they're going in a lot more moisture in a few days.
After a start like that, looking like a real plant is the easy part.
True, but I would like it to straighten out a bit before I call it a win!
Before my grow experience in the late 80s, we bought QPs of what looked like pressed, very dark green "Afghani" weed that was delivered from across the country packed into cookie tins and surrounded by coffee grounds.
I have no idea how the 70s weed I smoked came as I was never in charge of buying it. All I know was it came in small baggies by the time I saw it. :)
Awesome post BTW!
Thanks MedSci!
Do you live in a good climate for growing Peach trees?
I do, and for years I had two Babcock peach trees on the sunny side of the backyard, and it produced lots of delicious peaches that I had to fight the squirrels for. This peach was also freestone and white, but I don't know the actual variety.

I love the experiment and I love the baby peach tree. I cut an apple open yesterday and noticed that seeds had sprouted. I was tempted to plant them and didn't.

😮😮😮 Shed.... Bro.... Afghani bro 🤦‍♂️ so let's talk... Dude if you get a dude... Because I have a female in heat... Sorry I'm sweating over here 🥵 🤣🤣 some 90s Afghan on my 90s skunk1 clone could produce a solid super skunk replica 🤔🤔

Well I'll be watching 🧐 we'll be talking 😁 have fun now 🤣👊

😮😮😮 Shed.... Bro.... Afghani bro 🤦‍♂️ so let's talk... Dude if you get a dude... Because I have a female in heat... Sorry I'm sweating over here 🥵 🤣🤣 some 90s Afghan on my 90s skunk1 clone could produce a solid super skunk replica 🤔🤔

Well I'll be watching 🧐 we'll be talking 😁 have fun now 🤣👊
😂😂 ...I thought the same thing bro...damn, Shed got some original Afghan.. might need to send a PM.. 😂 😂.. love some Afghan, nothing hits the body like a Afghan.. 😂 hard to come by for sure.. love ya Shed!!!... 😂

Back
Top Bottom